Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

Cucumber salad is amazing.  Italian: slice cucumber with onions and tomatoes, drizzle with olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, marinate a bit, enjoy!  American:  slice cucumber with onions, coat with your favorite ranch dressing, enjoy!  Either way a delicious summer side dish. 

I love cucumbers any way even just slice with salt and vinegar.

Tonight I met a friend for a drink and a few bar bites and she somehow talked me into splitting a 26 ozs. tomahawk chop with herbed bone marrow butter, potato fennel gratin and grilled vegetables and a lovely bottle of Zin. She is 5' 4" and under a 100 lbs and I will never understand how based on her diet and the things she talks me into but the meals she convinces me to eat are always delicious.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think bone marrow is the nectar of the gods.  &  I am very envious of your friend who is 5'4" & weights 100 lbs.  :)

Edited by ariel
  • Love 1
On 6/6/2017 at 1:35 AM, DeLurker said:

Trying to use up food on hand in anticipation of being gone for a few weeks.  Took a steak out of the freezer to defrost yesterday morning, but found out around 5 PM that it wasn't a steak.  It was the second sheet of puff pastry I had defrosted (both were wrapped in similar paper since I often buy the value packs of meat and break them down into smaller portions.).

As such, dinner was pot stickers and Asian cole slaw.

Tonight's dinner will be the elusive steak.

This cracked me up so much!

Reminds me of the time I was away and instructed Mr Mellow that his lunch of noodles was in the fridge for him to take to work. He texted me triumphantly to declare that he was craving cottage pie and had raided my freezer for cottage pie.

Me: But there is no cottage pie left darling.

Him: Yes there is! I found a container. Ramekin with mashed potato on top.  

Me: That's the frozen peach cobbler darling.

Him: Guess I'll take it home and bake it for dessert tonight.

I really should learn to label things! 

• Love 2

This is my cucumber salad. It is very similar to the one my Hungarian grandmother made, and then my mother made (Grandma's was better, which annoyed my mom I think.And I think I'm better at it as well.)

The key is using a good seasoned vinegar, like Marukan Seasoned Gourmet Rice Vinegar. Also a helpful is to squeeze out the cucumbers before dressing them. Doing that goes a long way towards making the salad creamy.

HUNGARIAN CUCUMBER SALAD

INGREDIENTS

4 cucumbers

1 clove garlic

1 teaspoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup vinegar

3/4 cup sour cream

DIRECTIONS

Peel cucumbers.

Drag fork tines down length of peeled cucumbers to create long groves that will look very nice when you slice cucumbers very, very thin.

Put in mixing bowl.

Peel and chop clove of garlic.

Add salt and sugar slices.

Mix in sour cream.

Add vinegar and toss well, I use my hands, till cucumbers slices and sour cream are all frothy and foamy.

Place in serving dish and sprinkle a little paprika on top for decoration, and serve well chilled.

• Love 3
(edited)

JTMacc99:  this sounds good (and familiar).  I think my mom used to make something similar.  She'd use a mandolin so the slices were paper thin but if it were summertime and the cukes were out of someone's garden (i.e., no wax on a very thin peel) she'd leave the peel on but score with the tines of a fork. Looked pretty.  I like your recipe with the garlic and paprika, and will make it when I can buy fresh out of the garden 'cukes :>)

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

dutch crunch

I had to go look this up because I never heard of it.  Now I want some in a bad way and I am probably out of luck on that since a quick google shows nothing for my area.

• Love 1

I had a tough piece of London Broil that I marinated in a smoky grilling sauce for 2 days (was supposed to be 1 day, but things came up). I tossed it in my Instant Pot with a cup of 'Better than Bouillon' broth, crushed garlic, some thinly sliced onion, 8 golf ball sized red potatoes, and a bag of baby carrots. 35 minutes later, I had melt-in-your-mouth meat, perfectly cooked potatoes and carrots, and enough drippings to make gravy.  I am so going to love my Instant Pot this summer.

• Love 3

Hi Giselle!  I had dental surgery this morning.  No solid food for 24 hours.  But my pain meds say to take with food.  Don't know what to do.  I may make a run to a drive thru for a shake.  (But I won't drink it with a straw, per Dr.'s orders!).  Right now I am still waiting for the numbness to wear off.  If I tried to drink anything now, it would be a drool-y, drippy mess, I think.   

• Love 1
(edited)

@Mittengirl , I think soup is calling you. 

I have been craving  a peanut butter and jelly sandwich all day. So that and a few lay's chips will be my dinner tonight. 

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

Quick turnaround from work to a softball game tonight. Grilled cheese, watermelon and some Pop Chips for the kids. I slapped a slice of Swiss cheese on a whole wheat tortilla, sliced up some leftover sirloin and microwaved it for 30 seconds. Added barbecue sauce. Washed it down with a slice of watermelon. Not exactly the meal of kings tonight. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Quick turnaround from work to a softball game tonight. Grilled cheese, watermelon and some Pop Chips for the kids. I slapped a slice of Swiss cheese on a whole wheat tortilla, sliced up some leftover sirloin and microwaved it for 30 seconds. Added barbecue sauce. Washed it down with a slice of watermelon. Not exactly the meal of kings tonight. 

I have a quick turnaround, too, but for me it will be a granola bar in the car.

On 6/5/2017 at 8:17 PM, biakbiak said:

I love cucumbers any way even just slice with salt and vinegar.

Tonight I met a friend for a drink and a few bar bites and she somehow talked me into splitting a 26 ozs. tomahawk chop with herbed bone marrow butter, potato fennel gratin and grilled vegetables and a lovely bottle of Zin. She is 5' 4" and under a 100 lbs and I will never understand how based on her diet and the things she talks me into but the meals she convinces me to eat are always delicious.

I have a friend like this, it is all in the genes.  I love bone marrow and I cannot find a butcher here!  The supermarkets don't have real butchers anymore never mind marrow bones.  

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

Hi Giselle!  I had dental surgery this morning.  No solid food for 24 hours.  But my pain meds say to take with food.  Don't know what to do.  I may make a run to a drive thru for a shake.  (But I won't drink it with a straw, per Dr.'s orders!).  Right now I am still waiting for the numbness to wear off.  If I tried to drink anything now, it would be a drool-y, drippy mess, I think.   

I feel your pain. I'm still hurting and the cheek and edge of my nose  is still just the slightest bit numb. Nerve must have been irritated. My meds are the same " take with food". I'm a drooling chapped lips mess.

It was a protein shake for breakfast,  mashed potatoes & applesauce for lunch, blended split pea soup, the rest of last night's pudding for dessert. 

To drink... Broths, and  warm salt water rinses to heal the gum.

Hubby had In n Out double double animal style.

Heal swiftly Mittengirl more importantly heal well.

Hugs and chapstick kisses... on the good side of your face!

Peking Duck...Mmmmmmmm sounds so good.

I'm tired of soft foods and the taste of chapstick. It takes forever for my lips to return to normal after being at the dentist.

Bacon cheeseburgers, homemade sweet potato fries, and watermelon last night. Tonight it's lasagna even though I hate the thought of turning on the oven. The Boy realized we had all of the ingredients and bribed me early this morning when my defenses were low. Hmm, I should hit Google for an IP lasagna recipe.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Giselle said:

I'm tired of soft foods and the taste of chapstick. It takes forever for my lips to return to normal after being at the dentist.

Ugh. That stinks.

I have to say, I had a couple wisdom teeth yanked out a couple months ago and possibly because I was relatively pain free afterwords, I didn't mind spending a couple days with soft foods. I've been out of the business of eating comfort foods like mac and cheese for about 18 months now, so I treated myself.  

• Love 1
On 6/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, wings707 said:

...  I love bone marrow and I cannot find a butcher here!  The supermarkets don't have real butchers anymore never mind marrow bones.  

Here in Silicon Valley, we have a lot of "ethnic markets" (Mexican, Portuguese, Asian, Middle Eastern, Russian), all of which have butchers -- not to mention a huge variety of meats, poultry, seafood, & many different cuts thereof.  If you can find even just one store like that, you'll be set.

11 hours ago, Giselle said:

Peking Duck...Mmmmmmmm sounds so good.

Oh you poor thing! How long until you can eat normal food again?

Garlic Prawns with crusty bread for dinner tonight. And some roasted cauliflower on the side. 

Mr Mellow hates prawns and he's not home for dinner today so the kidlet and I are going to pig out on prawns. 

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, 3pwood said:

Here in Silicon Valley, we have a lot of "ethnic markets" (Mexican, Portuguese, Asian, Middle Eastern, Russian), all of which have butchers -- not to mention a huge variety of meats, poultry, seafood, & many different cuts thereof.  If you can find even just one store like that, you'll be set.

I am jealous.  There is an Asian market an hour away.  Since I posted I learned of a Mexican market with a butcher near me.  Yay.  You choose the cut of beef and they will put it in a plastic bag with their homemade carne asada marinade.   Love that!   

Edited by wings707
  • Love 4
23 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Oh you poor thing! How long until you can eat normal food again?

Garlic Prawns with crusty bread for dinner tonight. And some roasted cauliflower on the side. 

Mr Mellow hates prawns and he's not home for dinner today so the kidlet and I are going to pig out on prawns. 

Egg salad for supper. Mango sorbet for dessert.

The area is better today & not as sensitive. The throbbing has subsided. I had a crown break off below the gum. They a lot of trouble getting the rest of the tooth out. It will be replaced and I should be back to eating steak soon. :-)

Funny you mentioned prawns. I was thinking  about trying linguini and shrimp tomorrow And making my portion of  pasta a little softer and shorter and also chopping the sauted shrimp. Minimal chewing and 

• Love 1

Last night I made panko chicken tenders.  I had been perusing recipes recently and came across one that used cornstarch to dredge the chicken in.  Never heard of that so cautiously did my normal flour & seasoning dredge with a heaping tablespoon of cornstarch mixed in and added about a 1/2 tablespoon of it to the panko breading.

The chicken turned out more moist than normal and there seemed to be a slight change in the texture of the final product - still crisped up nicely though.  No noticeable change in the taste though from the cornstarch.  Will experiment with this more in the future.

Today's plan:  My weekly Sunday brunch with my husband, followed by Wonder Woman and then comfort food tonight:  grilled cheese (or rather, toaster oven bread and cheese - that's how my mom always made "grilled cheese" for me) and tomato soup.  With a salad on the side.

Of course, my immigrant parents - particularly my dad - would NOT consider grilled cheese and soup a "real meal."  To him, a "real meal" must include more than that.  A "sung" (basically a main course - "sung" is Cantonese for whatever one eats with rice or noodles (in a middle class family, it means protein and vegetables)) is a must.  Cheese is not "sung" and neither is salad.

• Love 1

Haha that sounds like my husband who prefers meat and three veg for dinner or rice with a meat dish and a veg dish or a full noodle dish. 

I have trained him over the years so he will eat soup and spring rolls (only time I'll ever serve him spring rolls so he agrees to it for the spring rolls), summer rolls and savoury pies. He'll even eat a meaty vietnamese salad but will ask for a big dessert. 

• Love 1

Grilled cheese and tomato soup classic combination and one that I love to this day!

1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Haha that sounds like my husband who prefers meat and three veg for dinner or rice with a meat dish and a veg dish or a full noodle dish. 

I have trained him over the years so he will eat soup and spring rolls (only time I'll ever serve him spring rolls so he agrees to it for the spring rolls), summer rolls and savoury pies. He'll even eat a meaty vietnamese salad but will ask for a big dessert. 

I grew up with meat and three for supper!  Mr. G doesn't understand it and is so picky about vegetables even mac and cheese. He doesn't understand tomato soup either.  He will quietly and reluctantly take "no thank you servings". Sometimes he is surprised that he does like something other times it's a quick bite washed down quickly. He is more adventurous when it comes to the international dishes that I make.

Mouth is better. Haven't decided on dinner.

• Love 3

I can maybe eat a sandwich for dinner, but it is primarily a lunch food to me, and the only way I'd eat soup for dinner is if I was ill and that's all I could stomach -- soup is definitely lunch.  I do my big eating at dinner:  small salad to start, then the main dish with one or two vegetable sides.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I can maybe eat a sandwich for dinner, but it is primarily a lunch food to me, and the only way I'd eat soup for dinner is if I was ill and that's all I could stomach -- soup is definitely lunch.  I do my big eating at dinner:  small salad to start, then the main dish with one or two vegetable sides.

My Spanish Basque Great Uncle started every midday and evening meal with a soup both in his home and at sheep camp. If he knew you were making it he would show up at your table.  It was how he grew up. He also wouldn't eat corn, that was for pigs. For the generations before mine the big meal was "dinner"  the mid-day meal. "Supper" in the evening was lighter. It changed in my parents time.

11 minutes ago, Giselle said:

He also wouldn't eat corn, that was for pigs. For the generations before mine the big meal was "dinner"  the mid-day meal. "Supper" in the evening was lighter. It changed in my parents time.

We always thought those little red potatoes were called pig potatoes because that was what my Dad always called them.  Growing up, those were used to feed the pigs.

Same with supper and dinner meanings.  Drove him nuts that we (kids) would use dinner and supper interchangeably, because we called the midday meal lunch.

• Love 1

I first heard the evening meal referred to as "dinner" when I left my small town for university.  It made my parents crazy when I refused to call it "supper" any more.

Friends stayed in a fancy inn for their honeymoon.   At noon, they walked into the dining room and sat down.   Eventually, an employee asked if she could help them, since they weren't open.  They finally figured out the "dinner service" advertised meant an evening meal.

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Quof said:

I first heard the evening meal referred to as "dinner" when I left my small town for university.  It made my parents crazy when I refused to call it "supper" any more.

Friends stayed in a fancy inn for their honeymoon.   At noon, they walked into the dining room and sat down.   Eventually, an employee asked if she could help them, since they weren't open.  They finally figured out the "dinner service" advertised meant an evening meal.

Is this a regional thing?  When my husband and I first started going out, he would use the two terms interchangeably.  He is from Ottawa, but his parents were originally from Montreal (but are Anglophones).  I have also heard some small town Albertans use "supper" rather than "dinner."  I'm a Toronto girl and use "dinner" for the evening meal.  I've always thought "dinner" as the noontime meal as a bit old fashioned (I've seen archival material (dating around 1910 or so) from my high school referring to lunch as dinner).