Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: You Can Run...

• Start Topic

After a terrifying incident at Claremont, Malcolm is in a race against time to track down multiple killers. The NYPD realizes someone close to home might be the key to finding them.

Airdate: May 4, 2021

211_prodigal-son_photo01.jpg

(edited)

That was rather unexpected.  I actually expected Friar Pete to remain at large for at least an episode and get his own big thing and not get caught so quick.  I am also kinda surprised Dr.  . Capshaw’s story took such a demented turn.   I did really enjoy her scenes with both Jessica and Malcolm though.

I am glad Ainsley finally got some screen time.  The scenes with Martin where he profiles her were really well done.  Martin pulling her in one direction while Malcolm pulls her in the other is actually a compelling story.  Is Ainsley actually a psychopath?  The show is at its most compelling when it focuses on the Whitly family dynanic.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
(edited)

Oh. My. GOD! Capshaw just Annie Wilkes'd Martin.

That smile AInsley had when Malcolm said she was the child their father hoped for...Uh I think they should reserve a room at the asylum for her.

Edited by redfish
  • Love 1

When Capshaw was leaving Claremont, I knew they were going to reveal she was going something evil. Catherine Zeta Jones did not sign up for this show to just play a doctor for a few episodes.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, redfish said:

That smile AInsley had when Malcolm said she was the child their father hoped for...Uh I think they should reserve a room at the asylum for her.

Which I can’t believe Malcolm missed. Everyone has a blind spot when it comes to Ainsley, who I’m sure in that interrogation room, was doing exactly what Martin coached her to do: crying to seem normal. The doctor was doing it too.

• Love 8

The plane at the apple orchid seemed incredibly run down, was it still supposed to be able to fly or was it Dr. Whitley's escape plan before he got caught and has deteriorated over the years from neglect. 

• Love 1

I kinda just wanna talk about the preview for next week....

Seems kind of a cop out that only now they're telling us that Ainsley been talking/meeting with Martin "in secret" (offscreen). I would have to have seen some of that throughout the season. Might have been a better arc for her. I hope Ainsley plays a significant role in the continued hunt for Martin.

And yeah, Malcolm should be paying more attention to how Ainsley is Not All Right; but it's understandable that his family is his blind spot/weakness.

Props to Martin (I guess...) for leading everyone n a wild goose chase, but now it looks like he's going to regret betting on Dr. Capshaw! See, now Capshaw is interesting to me. It would have been lame if she was just horny for serial killers. I hope we get more background info on her next episode.

Jessica and JT was an unexpected but interesting pairing. I wish we spent just a little more time with them bonding a bit.

Just wanted to give Malcolm a hug this whole episode -- but that's usual, LOL! And since I've complained about it, I guess I should acknowledge that they switched up the format by having Malcolm confront the killer without backup in the middle instead of the end of the episode.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The plane at the apple orchid seemed incredibly run down, was it still supposed to be able to fly or was it Dr. Whitley's escape plan before he got caught and has deteriorated over the years from neglect. 

Also, it looked like a Cessna. You’ll pay $400,000 for a brand new one NOW, but 20 years ago? No way. 

1 hour ago, kariyaki said:
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Also, it looked like a Cessna. You’ll pay $400,000 for a brand new one NOW, but 20 years ago? No way. 

Some of that $400,000 was for the fake passports, plane storage, pilot lessons, on-call pilot chartering service and spending money. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I really liked Jessica and JT’s bonding,  these are two people who on the surface have nothing in common.  But they share a similar trauma.     JT may have never filed charges but he is still facing repercussions from other people on the force and Jessica is forever facing repercussions for being the wife of The Surgeon.   It’s an interesting dynamic that the show hadn’t dug into before.   

• Love 8

Great episode, but fercryinoutloud, do we need yet another show that uses the Gary Jules cover of Tears For Fears' "Mad World"?  There are plenty of other haunting covers to use, like this one: Within Temptation - Crazy (Soundtrack rant over, sorry.)

So are we to assume that Capshaw is taking her revenge against the asshole male doctors that wronged her out on Martin?

My big question about this episode was how are they going to get that plane out of that barn when it was  parked behind and between support posts. Then Malcolm and Gil walked out of the barn through regular doors, and I thought how the heck did they even get a plane INTO that barn. An airplane hanger has doors that open the entire end of a building, a barn with full loft does not.

Did they take the wings off to get it in? Then why put the wings back on once it's inside since it needs to get back outside to be used.

This was beyond hand wave for me. So I guess it's just a "whatever."

At least CZJ trunk smuggling Martin made a good ending that was interesting. I don't care about Ainsley, she can stay upstairs in her room forever.

• Love 2

Malcolm has the biggest blind spot when it comes to Ainsley, or else he would see that she really is her fathers daughter. Everything Martin was saying about the symptoms of being a psychopath, high on charm low on empathy, does things she thinks are normal until other people comment on it being weird, its all lining up. He is in such denial that he didn't even notice her creepy smile when Malcolm said that Martin picked a new favorite kid. 

I expected CZJ to be a serial killer fangirl, but instead Martin was out psycho-ed by a different psycho. Now that story is getting interesting. I am surprised that his buddies were caught/killed so quickly, but that means we can get on with Martin and CZJ. This episode also had a lot of nice Gil and Malcolm moments, poor Malcolm is even more twitchy than usual with his dad running around. 

I really liked Jessica and TJ bonding, I don't think we have had many scenes between the two of them. They seem so different on the outside but they both have this similar issue they are dealing with.  

• Love 7
16 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Yes, that was my impression. He was going to use it to escape back before his original arrest. They mentioned him buying it in 1994. He probably was hoping to check it out and at least take the money. 

If someone had left a plane on your property and then got arrested for being a serial killer, would you keep the plane there for decades? And never even search the thing for cash?

54 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

If someone had left a plane on your property and then got arrested for being a serial killer, would you keep the plane there for decades? And never even search the thing for cash?

Martin did give the money to buy it, but it was still the family's plane, though. Apparently using it for crop dusting. (Even though I don't think that's a thing for orchards in upstate NY; but I could be wrong.)

The secret agreement was that Martin would be able to use it when the time came.

To be honest I come to this show for Ainsley so the last couple episodes were kinda washes for me.   I get she is not the main draw for most people but I just love the idea of everyone  (especially Malcolm) having such a blind spot when it comes to Ainsley that a bunch of seasoned detectives and profilers might just let her get away with murder.    Plus scenes with Halston Sage are just so much fun to watch. 

14 minutes ago, Trini said:

Martin did give the money to buy it, but it was still the family's plane, though. Apparently using it for crop dusting.

I'd forgotten the crop-dusting thing. I don't know what kind of plane that was in the barn, but crop dusters are all painted bright yellow and while some are single wing planes, like the Air Tractor, many are biplanes. A duster needs to fly low and slow. The fields around me are dusted every year, and the planes circle over my house, barely high enough to clear the trees, and they are LOUD baby, LOUD. You don't sleep through a dusting. When actually dusting, they fly low enough I can wave to the pilot.

Orchards are sprayed from tanks either mounted on a tractor or pulled by a tractor. They are not sprayed by air. There are special orchard-model tractors.

Not that I expect any Hollywood writer to know this or actually use the internet to research something before they write something stupid.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I loved, loved, loved this episode.  Although I expected that Martin would not be caught during this episode I really enjoyed the twists and turns.  I guffawed out loud when Ainsley answered the phone.  What a pay-off for the escape story that had been developing throughout the season.

• Love 4

I liked that the captures happened just how Malcolm said they would- Friar Pete was the wildcard while the other guy stuck to the plan. My question is did Martin intend to follow the plan with the others or did he always plan to go his own way? Is being locked in Vivian's trunk his plan or hers? I thought his but banging on the trunk was not very stealthy.

So Vivian Capshaw just got way more interesting. I thought by the end that maybe she helped Martin but this looks way more twisted.

I really liked the JD and Jessica scenes. It was sad that she could see so clearly how wrong what was happening to JD was, but dismissed what was happening to her. I think that's typical though. It's easier to see when it's not you. I liked that the show brought the similarities out.

I also liked the scenes with Vivian and Jessica. It's too bad she mistook the crazy for guilt. Her compassion got the best of her. Still it was interesting seeing Martin's women together.

The plane plan fills in more blanks about Martin way back when. It seems he always knew he would have to leave his family eventually.

Speaking of family, they are moving Gil more and more into being part of the Whitly family. His scenes with Malcolm and Jessica were great. I liked that Jessica didn't let him blame himself for Ainsley. I had wondered before if it was just Malcolm and Jessica that he took an interest in. It makes me wonder why not Ainsley though. Maybe because she was so young, she simply didn't need him like Malcolm did. That smile she had when Malcolm called her the favored child says otherwise though.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I'd forgotten the crop-dusting thing. I don't know what kind of plane that was in the barn, but crop dusters are all painted bright yellow and while some are single wing planes, like the Air Tractor, many are biplanes. A duster needs to fly low and slow. The fields around me are dusted every year, and the planes circle over my house, barely high enough to clear the trees, and they are LOUD baby, LOUD. You don't sleep through a dusting. When actually dusting, they fly low enough I can wave to the pilot.

Orchards are sprayed from tanks either mounted on a tractor or pulled by a tractor. They are not sprayed by air. There are special orchard-model tractors.

Not that I expect any Hollywood writer to know this or actually use the internet to research something before they write something stupid.

Pilot, or pilot’s kid? Pilot’s kid here and certain things also make my suspended disbelief come crashing back down. Not this time, though: I’ve never seen a real crop duster!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I guffawed out loud when Ainsley answered the phone. 

I'm pretty sure the phone was the one in the Whitley basement that we learned about in season 1. I questioned then why no one knew there was a working phone down there and who was paying the phone company.

Besides the plane thing, my other problem with the writers of this episode is, do none of them know bowling alleys are coated with oil and are super slick. If you cross the black line, you are pretty sure to fall on your butt. Yet the scenes with Bowling Pete, they were all over those lanes and nothing. I was waiting -- and wishing -- for them all to fall down, Three-Stooges style.

While I'm not a pilot or pilot's kid, I live in farm country and am well-familiar with crop dusters and tractors. A crop-dusting company is just a couple miles from my house so there are often fly overs. I've photographed the dusters, they fly low enough that I can shoot straight into them as they go past. No telephoto lens needed! Orchard-model tractors have full wheel coverings to keep the big tires from accidentally damaging trees or other fruit producing plants. Pretty much all the tractor companies make orchard models.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Driad said:

When an institution has an escape and/or an inmate unaccounted for, wouldn't searching all vehicles be part of standard procedure?

And you could clearly hear him knocking from inside the trunk.  Seems kind of risky to just leave the car unattended in the parking lot like that.

• Love 2
On 5/6/2021 at 10:25 PM, rove4 said:

And you could clearly hear him knocking from inside the trunk. 

I wondered if Martin would have rathered  be back in his cell than captured by CZJ 'cuz that knocking could have been heard by anyone. I guess we'll find out next week ... maybe!

On 5/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, Driad said:

When an institution has an escape and/or an inmate unaccounted for, wouldn't searching all vehicles be part of standard procedure?

I believe it would be, but if they found two out of three escapees, they'd just assume the third was still out there. No need to check exiting vehicles.

It would be super amusing if Martin got outsmarted by the doctor. She appeared to be truly upset at him leaving her behind. Maybe she's the woman scorned and managed to find him on the outside, stuff him in her trunk, then waited for the heat to die down before she left again. I'm not clear on the timeline, but they're not exactly going to be checking incoming vehicles.

I believe that the good doctor was part of Martin's original escape plan and everything went according to his plan. Even the part about the doctor getting fired. Everybody just assumed all three inmates were in the ambulance when it left the facility and they didn't search the grounds.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2021 at 12:02 PM, AnimeMania said:

I believe that the good doctor was part of Martin's original escape plan and everything went according to his plan. Even the part about the doctor getting fired. Everybody just assumed all three inmates were in the ambulance when it left the facility and they didn't search the grounds.

Yes.  The doctor didn’t put him in that trunk... she was locked inside the room she was in by Martin as part of his escape. He obviously had her  keys or she left the trunk just slightly open when she parked. 

Edited by mythoughtis
On 5/31/2021 at 8:03 PM, mythoughtis said:

Yes.  The doctor didn’t put him in that trunk... she was locked inside the room she was in by Martin as part of his escape. He obviously had her  keys or she left the trunk just slightly open when she parked. 

Now that the season has ended, did they explain this? I'm still not sure how Martin ended up in that car.

43 minutes ago, akg said:

Now that the season has ended, did they explain this? I'm still not sure how Martin ended up in that car.

Yes. The next episode showed who put him in the car...but didn’t explain how that person beat Martin to the car after Martin left that person.  Hopefully that clears things up for you without spoiling it for others. 

And maybe I made an assumption that wasn’t true also 

• Useful 1