Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: A Cute Asphyxiation

• Start Topic

So Drew, Jerry and Gideon (who can't afford to put on a one-man-show) have enough money lying around to buy a Super Bowl ring?

I think that plot point would have made more sense if Samantha was in the episode. (It still would have been pretty implausible, though.)

• Love 6

Does anybody else get thrown off by the fact that the very sick and dying people look so robust? I think it keeps me at a distance. I know it's a sitcom - but I'd guess the BBC or HBO would have people look sicker. They're just too healthy. Maybe one way to compensate would be to put people in clothing that's too big so they look smaller.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

So Drew, Jerry and Gideon (who can't afford to put on a one-man-show) have enough money lying around to buy a Super Bowl ring?

The bidding for Josh Gordon's started at $100k. I have no idea what it actually sold for.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Right? If they could afford it, then the money wasn't likely to last long for Eli. Seems like it wouldn't be worth selling. The Cameos were funny.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

Drew's kind of unlikable, isn't he? 

I kept wondering what kind of therapist he is, when he can't even hear his girlfriend saying clearly, "I don't want you to come over after chemo."

• Love 4

I really like Drew and his girlfriend together.

I understand Adriana not wanting anyone around when she's recovering from chemo. When I'm sick I don't want anyone around.

I was trying to figure out where I've seen Adriana before, so I looked her up on IMDB.Com. She played "Alita" in "Alita: Battle Angel" but her face in that was modified by CGI.

• Love 3

Among the many irritating things about Drew in this episode - he plots to buy the Super Bowl ring, and doesn't say a word about it to Gina until after they give it to Eli and Eli gets mad?

Eli was guaranteed to know that Gina blabbed once he received the ring. A halfway-decent friend would have consulted her about it before purchasing it.

• Love 1

I cant blame Adriana for wanting to be alone, and its annoying that Drew was still trying to hover around her, but he seemed to get it by the end. I like them a lot together. 

It does feel weird how nice everyone looks when they're supposed to be pretty ill, especially in an episode like this that was focusing on Adriana getting chemo and feeling poorly, but I guess it might make the show a bit too much of a downer if Drew really did look like he was on deaths door. And its a lot harder to get involved in hijinks if you look like your about to pass out. 

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Bumblebee84047 said:

Maybe he'll die in the transplant surgery, and then we can continue with the good characters on the show.  And more Sara Rue, please!

This show is wasting the talents of Sara Rue, Annaleigh Ashford, and Kether Donohue.

• Love 3

Does anybody else get thrown off by the fact that the very sick and dying people look so robust? 

The last word on earth I would use to describe Thomas Middleditch is "robust." He's one odd-looking dude.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

They are still telegraphing Gina+Drew=endgame. Hard. That scene near the end where both of them are ruminating on their relationships and wondering why it can't be easy like it is between the two of them. It just screamed "meant to be together."

I guess maybe that's where the second season goes, if there is one. The show might feel like this is the most natural way to keep the story going after the transplant takes place.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They are still telegraphing Gina+Drew=endgame. Hard. That scene near the end where both of them are ruminating on their relationships and wondering why it can't be easy like it is between the two of them. It just screamed "meant to be together."

I guess maybe that's where the second season goes, if there is one. The show might feel like this is the most natural way to keep the story going after the transplant takes place.

But isn’t donating the kidney important to the story line? Assuming they both live, what will make this show any different than any other show? These people wouldn’t be together otherwise. I know we’ll have to wait and see, and TPTB can do whatever they want, but it would be kind of like if — after the first season of the Six Million Dollar Man — they turned Steve Austin into a New England B&B owner who put up with the hi-jinx of Larry, Daryl and Daryl.

• LOL 2
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

This is what annoys me, if they want Drew and Gina to be together then just put them together and don't drag others into it. I like Eli and Gina together and I don't want Eli thrown under the bus to so they can put Drew and Gina together. I see no romance/sexual chemistry between Drew and Gina anyway. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Maybe Drew will reject the kidney? The writers have got to keep him in that dialysis group somehow.

I thought that, too, but then they already had one of the other group members reject a kidney, so I don't think they'd wnat to do another story on organ rejection again so soon.

• Love 1
On 4/30/2021 at 7:07 AM, ams1001 said:

Right? If they could afford it, then the money wasn't likely to last long for Eli. Seems like it wouldn't be worth selling. The Cameos were funny.

there was a deleted scene where they robbed a bank.  i also have to say that money issues aside, if they wanted to do this, they should have bought it and then mailed it back to him anonymously.  He wouldn't have thought too out there that some random fan might do that for him.

On 4/30/2021 at 7:07 AM, ams1001 said:

kept wondering what kind of therapist he is, when he can't even hear his girlfriend saying clearly, "I don't want you to come over after chemo."

therapists are people, too.  He's not perfect. He heard her, he just thought (wrongly) that either she didn't want him there for his sake, or that she would change her mind when he came bearing gifts.  Although I don't really know what kind of idiot brings food to someone who just got back from chemo.  He should have clearly realized he was wrong when he got there and left before she had to scream at him.

15 hours ago, iMonrey said:

the weird thing about that was that it wasn't even true. Gina has gotten mad at Drew before for his trying to control her life.  And Drew has gotten irritated with her trying to lighten him up.

15 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

but it would be kind of like if — after the first season of the Six Million Dollar Man — they turned Steve Austin into a New England B&B owner who put up with the hi-jinx of Larry, Daryl and Daryl.

LOL.  I didn't see the if and was very young when the show was on, so I was like "what?  they did that?  thats weird."

12 hours ago, Blakeston said:

Maybe Drew will reject the kidney? The writers have got to keep him in that dialysis group somehow.

But then he wouldn't need Gina as his donor.  She can't give him her second kidney unless she dies and I would think if he rejected her first kidney he would reject the second, too.

9 hours ago, possibilities said:

I thought that, too, but then they already had one of the other group members reject a kidney, so I don't think they'd wnat to do another story on organ rejection again so soon.

Imagine if that happened in real life.  I would think the whole group would just give up and die if they saw every single kidney transplant end in rejection.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 hours ago, mommalib said:

This is what annoys me, if they want Drew and Gina to be together then just put them together and don't drag others into it. I like Eli and Gina together and I don't want Eli thrown under the bus to so they can put Drew and Gina together. I see no romance/sexual chemistry between Drew and Gina anyway. 

Same thing happened in Fuller House, they threw Matt under the bus when Steve and DJ were endgame the whole time. I mean I liked Steve and DJ together because they were together in the original but not at the expense of Matt. 

Edited by nelroy78
(edited)
23 hours ago, Bumblebee84047 said:

Maybe he'll die in the transplant surgery, and then we can continue with the good characters on the show.  And more Sara Rue, please!

Whatever happened to Julia anyway? She hasn’t been on since her and Maddie went to Iceland. I was right that she has a love interest. They should’ve touched on that more. Had Drew run into them out somewhere. Maddie hasn’t been on much either, I guess because of her school. Which reminds me, I guess Drew isn’t ready for Adriana to meet her because he mentioned that he had Maddie that weekend as an excuse not to see her. Understandable.

So far the show hasn’t addressed the sexual assault allegations against Thomas Middleditch.

Edited by nelroy78
20 hours ago, nelroy78 said:

So far the show hasn’t addressed the sexual assault allegations against Thomas Middleditch.

https://deadline.com/2021/03/alice-wetterlund-responds-sexual-misconduct-allegations-thomas-middleditch-news-1234719765/

OMG, who knew? And he and his ex?-wife were swingers? Ewwww. He's probably one of the most unappealing actors on TV! OK. I vote for non-renewal of this series. I really won't miss it since I can take it or leave it anyway. Give him the kidney and everyone moves on.

• Love 4

I hated when the show took a sharp left into the Gina/Drew ship with all of the "why can't it just be easy like it is with us?" talk. First of all, that is a massive rewriting of history. Even though they are clearly good friends now, they have been arguing since they got back in touch at the wedding in the first episode. They still argue now, although less vehemently. The reason that their relationship is better now is because Drew has stopped being a total control freak and trying to change Gina.

Secondly, a relationship is a lot easier when you actually listen to the other person and respect their wishes. In this case, Drew's girlfriend told him repeatedly NOT to come over during her chemo week. Instead, he disregarded her specific request and wouldn't leave until she yelled at him. Similarly, Eli specifically asked Gina not to tell anyone about his money issues and instead she blabbed to Drew. In both cases, Gina and Drew were trying to be nice but at the expense of doing the opposite of what their significant other had told them. Believe people when they say no, even if it's to their detriment. Take them at their word instead of assuming that they secretly want you to do the opposite.

But props to Eli for putting so much effort into his Cameos. Some celebs basically record the same message over and over with a different name at the beginning.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:28 AM, MaryMitch said:

I was trying to figure out where I've seen Adriana before, so I looked her up on IMDB.Com. She played "Alita" in "Alita: Battle Angel" but her face in that was modified by CGI.

At certain angles, she reminds me a lot of Aubrey Plaza (April on Parks & Rec).

• Love 4
On 4/30/2021 at 5:00 PM, Blakeston said:

Maybe kidneys will suddenly become available for all the them simultaneously, and they'll become The Post Transplant Club. Gideon could continue to do dialysis in the afternoons but also run the transplant follow-up clinic in the mornings to keep him relevant, too.

It is, after all, fiction and supposed to be funny.

• Love 2