Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: We're Done

yeswedo

Rachel brings disturbing news while Mike is still reeling from the aftermath of the battle for Gillis Industries. Feeling Harvey is his only friend left, Mike makes a rash decision. Meanwhile, Jessica asks Louis to pick his own reward after his victory for the firm.

Thank goodness Mike told Rachel right away about being a fraudulent lawyer so he can really crucify her for waiting a week to tell him about Logan. That horse he sits on is awfully tall.

• Love 7

I was super scared that they were writing Louis out when he was talking about wanting to be with Sheila. I'm glad that they at least left open the possibility of him being a named partner. I hope that Louis figures a way to take Forstman down without going down with him.

Sorry, but if someone is going to offer me a million dollar signing bonus, it'd be pretty hard to say no. Worst case scenario, you quit or get fired and you're still a millionaire.

Mike not telling Rachel about his being a fraud is just the tip of his hypocrisy. Mike not only kissed Rachel when he was with Jenny, he slept with a married woman. Mike also helped numerous people cheat on their LSATs.

For him to come back to the firm knowing that he's putting it at risk again is pretty awful. And for him to cost Louis his reward is also pretty messed up.

Given that Rachel is not played by the strongest actor, it's probably a mistake to have an episode revolving around her being an emotional wreck.

• Love 2

Hopefully they'll hire Mike under some special title like "Legal Consultant" or something where he doesn't state he is a lawyer, just someone with extensive legal knowledge.

• Love 2

Eh, I don't have a problem with Mike's reaction to Rachel. And I don't feel like he's being hypocrite, due to the completely different nature of (1) what happened in the different situations, and (2) what he seemed to be most troubled by. Rachel not only was kissing a guy she previously had an affair with, but (and this is the big but), when Mike directly asked if it meant nothing to her, she couldn't even reassure him that yes, it was nothing. THAT was the biggie.  I think Mike wanted to forgive her and let it go, but how do you do that when she can't even tell him it meant nothing? She really screwed up how she told him and how she reacted to his reaction, if you will. And she totally told half a story to Donna, when she said he didn't give her a chance to explain. He did, and more than once. But she couldn't explain it. I think that's the thing that sent Mike packing.  If you're going to confess what you did (which I"m not convinced was best; such confessions almost always seem offered in order to ease a guilty conscience, not to help the betrayed person), then at least know how you feel about it and have an answer ready when the person asks, "Did you like it? What did it mean?" Seriously, Rachel. Idiot. Have your explanation ready BEFORE you drop a bomb like that. 

And really, with the Jenny thing, that's a bad example to use to say he should forgive Rachel. Mainly because Jenny dropped Mike's ass and yes, he wound up with the girl he was kissing behind her back. If anything, the Jenny situation actually, IMO, reinforces Mike's reaction. He knows from personal experience that kissing someone behind your significant other's back can indeed mean bad things. He gave Rachel the chance to reassure him and she blew it. Tsk tsk.

On the other hand, I"m happy because Mike is back at the firm. And I loved that Louis saved him from a really stupid decision made because of what Rachel did. And I loved how Donna and Louis were looking out for both Mike and Rachel, in their own ways.

Mostly, I loved that Harvey and Mike are back, because I haven't really been able to watch with them split. I've followed what's been happening, and watched bits and pieces, but I don't enjoy the show when the heart of it (which for me is Mike and Harvey) is split apart, so instead of watching and coming to hate it, I took a break. Glad I can come back, though, because I missed this show! 

• Love 7
(edited)

I didn't care for this episode. Not that the show is ever very realistic, but there were just too many "that would never happen" moments in this episode, all designed to end up with Mike back at the firm. Way too pat. I also hated the whole Mike/Rachel story line. It was one kiss, guys. Get a grip.

Edited by TomGirl
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

For me, Suits is all about Louis, and occasionally, Harvey. I don't really care where Mike works and if he and Rachel stay together or part ways. I want Louis to be happy; I'm just not sure that happiness is to be found with Sheila. I loved him and Sheila together, but she has stated she unequivocally does not want children and if he does, that relationship is doomed now and in the future. I'm on the fence about Donna most of the time, but she seems to be toned down just a bit this year - not quite as full of herself, not as many of the "I'm Donna" pronouncements - so I'd kind of like to see how she and Louis would be together.

• Love 2

I like Suits best when it's about the drama at the firm.  I like each of the characters individually, faults and all.  And I like their interpersonal relationships as friends, rivals, and colleagues.  But if I never again had to watch any of them deal with romantic problems I'd be a happy viewer.   

Mike was a bit of a hypocrite (nothing new there), but Rachel was an idiot.  The episode did nothing to make either of them look better.  

(edited)

Jessica went behind whatzisname's back! Rachel betrays Mike! Will Mike forgive Rachel? Will Jessica take Mike back? Stay tuned for more of...As the World Turns.

Seriously, since when did the soap writers take over this show. It's a goddam (to borrow a term) law firm not a goddam couples counseling office.

Another thing that drives me crazy, is nobody ever has a goddam conversation. Instead they trade ultimatums until one party storms off and...cut to commercial. People don't talk like this.

If for example you sit in a lobby waiting for a person to show up, and demand that they explain everything NOW right there in the lobby or else, then at least have the courtesy to let them finish explaining. Don't walk away in the middle of a conversation that you insisted on having in the first place.

The writers have turned the Mike character into a petulant little dink. All the Louis scenes are great, and the only scene not containing Louis that wasn't shite was Mike sitting down with Dr Phlox and having a conversation that sounded like actual humans beings talking. But of course not for long. After 30 seconds Mike reverts to form and cuts off a discussion worth having, with somebody who has gone through what he went through, and whom he sought out, by leaving abruptly.

The writers have ADD.

Please no to taking Mike back into the firm. He should be a special investigator like Kalinda on The Good Wife. Protects the firm from (additional, new) liability yet they can still make use of his talent. To get the job however he must remove the giant Rod of Righteousness from his behind. (Maybe that's why he doesn't ride his bicycle anymore.)

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 2

Also, remember Mike the potsmoker? They always treated pot as eeeeevil, and continue to portray Scotch instead as the manly drug of the upwardly mobile bro, but seems like the best remedy for Mike right now would be an evening with a bong and his homies Harvey and Dr Phlox, reminiscing and putting all these hijinx into perspective. Alcohol really isn't the best chill pill, seems like there must be a whisky maker among the sponsors, it's presented so positively. The writers seem like young guys, too in awe of the Lexus, single-malt, and shiny steel-and-glass NYC lifestyle exemplified by Harvey's apartment. Not what Mike needs though. Let's check out Phlox's pad.

I forgot about Jessica's boyfriend! If you want to be all self-righteous about your girlfriend trusting you and your work, then make sure your work isn't a big pile of crap. I was hoping she was serious about firing him.

• Love 3

In fairness to Jeff, Louis said Jeff's work was good enough that 99 out of 100 lawyers would not have spotted the problem, and he just happened to be the 100th. So I don't think it's fair to make it out like his work flat-out sucked. That said, it would be good if they gave Jeff something else to do besides look good and flirt with Jessica. Like his job of getting the SEC off the firm's back. Would it have killed them to have him have scenes with Harvey or with Woodall or whoever the Woodall puppet is again. (I am getting old. I had to go to IMDB to remember DB Woodside's character name. While there, I noted that there have been two episodes of Suits without Jessica and two without Louis. Those must have been weak. Then again, IMDB claims that there was an episode without Mike, which I can't believe is the case.)

With regard to Mike and Rachel, I don't meant to say that Mike should forgive Rachel. He's perfectly entitled to break up with her on any of a number of grounds -- the kiss itself, the hiding of the kiss, the fact that it was with Logan, it being the culmination of a crappy week, whatever. I personally would have preferred some forgiveness or truly letting them be done, because I would love to minimize the relationship drama and I think we all suspect that Mike and Rachel remain the one true pairing so the "let's spend a couple episodes with them sniping at each other" is extra annoying. Alternatively, as long as there are relationship issues, I wish they could really deal with the ones that are there and are going to remain there in an intelligent, adult way. Rachel worked herself into a hospitalization for exhaustion and Mike's level of concern for her (at least as shown) was no more than emotions-are-for-the-weak Harvey. Rachel still has the fraud issue to deal with (which reminds me....I want Big Daddy Zane back on our screen). They were on opposite sides of what was supposed to be an all-consuming case. 

I should add again how remarkable it was what Louis did for Mike. I don't really care if it's in character or not, or if it makes sense or not. (And I suppose it is mostly not). He had his chance to get whatever reward he wanted short of becoming a name partner. He was set to position himself for making a run at patching things up with the (perceived) love of his life. He put all that on the backburner, and all the other possibilities he could have asked for, in order to bring Mike back.

Now consider: 

As far as Louis knows, there's no real reason why PS wouldn't want to take Mike back -- he was an excellent employee while there and personally worked under one of the two named partners. So to give up a valuable chit as he had to ensure Mike's return seems a little much.

Also, what has Mike done for Louis lately? He made Louis look like a chump. He played on his feelings for Sheila. He caused a rift between Louis and Harvey. He basically is responsible for Louis being in a position where he had to make the Faustian bargain with Forstman. Prior to that, Mike agreed to be Louis's associate only to backstab Louis and go back to Harvey. 

• Love 1

They writers really make the worst and most awkward use of the word "gxddxmn." It's like they just throw it in anywhere, even if it's a phrase or sentence that nobody would ever actually include it in.

He put all that on the backburner, and all the other possibilities he could have asked for, in order to bring Mike back.

I didn't think Louis did it for Mike so much as he did for Rachel. Just my impression from what we've seen of how fond Louis is of Rachel. The scene with her - where he was ready to rip apart Harvey and then Mike, only to have Rachel confess she was the one who wronged Mike - felt like it was there to show how much Louis cares for Rachel, who obviously loves Mike and was in pain. I thought Louis made the move he did for her. And against Eric Roberts. And also, I guess, to save Mike from making a dumb move when he wasn't acting rationally. That's why I loved that Louis did it. Those are my favorite Louis moments. His humanity is wonderful when the show lets him express it. (But I get so sick of Louis getting crapped on all the time, so I like when he gets a win. It was nice to see him score this one, especially since it also made Harvey so happy. Go Louis! Enjoy the moment!)

• Love 4

I didn't think Louis did it for Mike so much as he did for Rachel. Just my impression from what we've seen of how fond Louis is of Rachel. The scene with her - where he was ready to rip apart Harvey and then Mike, only to have Rachel confess she was the one who wronged Mike - felt like it was there to show how much Louis cares for Rachel, who obviously loves Mike and was in pain. I thought Louis made the move he did for her. And against Eric Roberts. And also, I guess, to save Mike from making a dumb move when he wasn't acting rationally. That's why I loved that Louis did it. Those are my favorite Louis moments. His humanity is wonderful when the show lets him express it.

It's amazing to think that Louis Litt is the most likeable character on the show by far.  It's a testament to Rick Hoffman and the writers for realizing what they have in Rick Hoffman.  Louis has been the highlight of the season, with Donna coming in 2nd.  His doing this for Rachel can go back to what Donna told Mike about gifts and Louis, "Just get him anything he'll cry for days."  Louis values friendship, and those that like him, above himself.

I will say I don't regret watching Sharknado 2 live instead of Suits.

• Love 2

Because someone had to do it: 5 uses of "goddamn" and around 10 uses of some form of "shit" (little shit, shithead, I don't give a shit, etc.) in this episode.

Suits, you continue to be adorable* with your clumsily excessive use of profanity even middle-schoolers don't consider to be foul language.

*And by "adorable" I mean "annoying."

• Love 1

I will say I don't regret watching Sharknado 2 live instead of Suits.

Sharknado 2 is in a class by itself. I love Suits, but you chose wisely. "There's a storm coming. No one wants to get eaten. But I’ve been eaten and I’m here to tell you that it takes a lot more than that to bring a good man down.” Take that, Suits writers!

• Love 1

Louis  (and the fashion) are the only reason I watch Suits. 

Don't promise somebody 'anything' for a reward and say no to the only thing you know they have wanted for their entire career.  Offer him a reward, but be specific.  "Gosh, Louis, would you like a chauffer and the Rolls Royce?" 

I loved that he decided to work from home and be with Sheila.  Yes, the children issue is a huge one, but those two had a special chemistry.   And he loves her.  And she loves him. 

I'm still furious that Louis signed that document admitting to guilt for the finance transfer.  Dang it!  He lives for being a clean lawyer.  I want him to either have Jessica's pretty boyfriend or Mike get that issue resolved ASAP.  I don't want Louis to go to jail.

I'm okay with Mike coming back, even though it's stupid.  It just shows that Louis is the most likeable human being on the show.  He knows what a monster that #1Million guy is.  He's indebted to him, but he doesn't want others to be.  Whether it is for Rachel or not, I don't know.  I just know it was a selfless act, which is rare on this program.

And what do you mean Louis is working on Rosh Hashanah?  In my state, it is illegal to make people work on their religious holidays.

Loved Donna's white dress and Jessica's black or navy long sleeved suit!

• Love 1

I suspect at some point in this season, the money laundering that Louis did for Forsmann (sp) will come back on Louis, and Mike will be the one to find a solution to get him out of trouble.  Thus repaying Louis for using his gift on Mike

• Love 3

Unfortunately that's a good bet I think. I wish they'd surprise us and have Mike fix Louis' problem--maybe using that hacker girl who helped him with his Harvard records. Then everybody into a hot tub with champagne for the final scene. Wouldn't that be refreshing? I wish the same ending for Longmire. Won't bet on it though, they are addicted to revolving misery and the cheap cliffhanger.

Edited by fauntleroy
  • Love 1

And what do you mean Louis is working on Rosh Hashanah?  In my state, it is illegal to make people work on their religious holidays.

NY is right-to-work, so anything goes.

Louis  (and the fashion) are the only reason I watch Suits. 

Don't promise somebody 'anything' for a reward and say no to the only thing you know they have wanted for their entire career.  Offer him a reward, but be specific.  "Gosh, Louis, would you like a chauffer and the Rolls Royce?" 

I loved that he decided to work from home and be with Sheila.  Yes, the children issue is a huge one, but those two had a special chemistry.   And he loves her.  And she loves him. 

I'm still furious that Louis signed that document admitting to guilt for the finance transfer.  Dang it!  He lives for being a clean lawyer.  I want him to either have Jessica's pretty boyfriend or Mike get that issue resolved ASAP.  I don't want Louis to go to jail.

I'm okay with Mike coming back, even though it's stupid.  It just shows that Louis is the most likeable human being on the show.  He knows what a monster that #1Million guy is.  He's indebted to him, but he doesn't want others to be.  Whether it is for Rachel or not, I don't know.  I just know it was a selfless act, which is rare on this program.

Loved Donna's white dress and Jessica's black or navy long sleeved suit!

Jessica was very well dressed this episode and her hair looked good!  I will have to go back and look for Donna's white dress.  I did a lot of fast forwarding and I guess I missed it.  Are you talking about the one with the pleats at the bottom? I thought they messed up the dress and did not look good on her legs.

Why can't they have some type of giveaway so that we can win some of these clothes?! 

I 'm sure it will be revealed that Mike kept his old place and has secretly been paying rent on it or something so he can "go back to where he started."  Mike has a tendency to revert to old habits when he is  faced with a challenge.

I loved his ultimatum to Rachel, "for us to have a chance you have to accept the fact that I am a liar and breaking the law by coming back and pretending to be a lawyer and be ok with that every day of our life, but I need time to think about how I feel about one kiss that lasted maybe 60 seconds, because dishonesty is a dealbreaker."  Never mind that your dream your entire life has been to be a lawyer, you know to uphold the law and have ethical standards but, for LOVE you need to just fold on this one tiny little thing, and never think or speak of it again....hence the real reason why Mike and Rachel shouldn't be together. She should do this of course because Mike is such a good guy and awesome catch...one that uses drugs, was in the middle of a drug deal, took his granny for granted, coveted his best friends girlfriend, was dishonest with Jenny, helped people cheat on tests (how many bad lawyers, etc is he responsible for by taking their tests for them?) represents himself as a lawyer, and now betrayed Sidwell?  I used to wonder how he and Trevor were friends, but now I totally get it. Trevor was Mike's excause to not succeed, and it show that he is more of a follower than a leader..also exposed in how he handled this business deal.

The problem with the show is not Rachel and Mike, the problem is that they started the show on the premise of Mike being a good guy that was caught up in all these circumstances.  He wanted to be a lawyer all his life so he could "right" wrongs, but "circumstances" (namely following Trevor) had combined to derail this...but he DESERVED it!

They then turned him into a desperate con artist willing to do anything to save his secret so he could keep his lifestyle.  If he managed to help someone along the way, fine, but at the end of the day, it is about him protecting his secret and showing how awesome and smart he is, not about his helping other people.

In the process they ruined the friendship between Jessica and Harvey.  Say what you will, but in Jessica's shoes how would you feel about Harvey being willing to bring a fraud into your company and risk everything that you have worked to build, just because he could?  What Harvey and Mike have done is made Jessica an unwilling accomplice, and it has put a strain on how she relates to Harvey. Now, when they have an agency that thinks Mike and Harvey were colluding investigating them, it makes so much SENSE to have Mike come back to the firm! Right!  On top of that, they saddle her with a boring boyfriend instead of someone with equal or more power and a dynamic presence.  (I second the request to see a significant portion of Jessica's place...and make it FABULOUS!)

Donna has never evolved into a full person. She is there to prop Harvey and now be Louis' protector and Rachel's sounding board.  The one time they gave her a "storyline" it involved her being a liar and destroying evidence (of course to protect Harvey), and a boyfriend that was not into HER, but into trying to best Harvey on something. Everyone uses her, as a sounding board, as a source of information, etc.

Louis was better before he became the "joke" of the firm. Every character has to be sacrificed to make Harvey and Mike look better.  I miss the old conniving Louis, whom at least was shown to be competent at his job. Now he is portrayed as an insecure mess who needs Katrina to tell him what to do.   They took away  the great chemistry between Rachel and Louis as co workers (and opera lovers!) to push her into this Logan//Harvey interaction mess.  No way Rachel would be Harvey's assistant when she is going to law school part time.  No doubt Harvey or Mike will have to save Louis from this mess, because God forbid he saves himself.

The best scene this year for me was Jessica cooking in Harvey's apartment.  It showed their bond and respect for each other, and it had humor when she asked if he was imagining her naked. Even the Donna/Louis stuff did not cut if for me because it was again about making Louis look weak and that he needs someone else to figure out or solve all his problems.

Can this end like Seinfeld with everyone going to jail, being disbarred or practicing law from their car like Rush? Well, of course, except for MIke because he is not a lawyer!  

I got it!  Perfect fit for Mike!  Law from his Lincoln where he only deals in cash and helps the truly underserved....Lincoln Lawyer...or am I thinking of an other show??

• Love 4

I fail to see how Mike was being a hypocrite when he was mad at Rachel for kissing another guy. Yes, he has done bad, hell even reprehensible things in the past ( who hasn't on this show full of gray characters?). Hell, I'd even call his attitude towards the law firm and the way it handles its cases is hypocritical at times. But since he has been in a relationship with Rachel, he hasn't done any of these things to her. I'd even go so far as to say that she had no reason to even tell him about the kiss other then to make herself feel better. So she deserved exactly what she got. Admittedly, that last thing he told her was stupid, but it is what it is.

It is getting tiring watching Louis get crapped on  by doing things for people who don't appreciate him. Hopefully, the firm comes together to have his back  as opposed to turning this into another reason to crap on Louis for being a screw-up.

Off topic, Eric Roberts is way too good at playing slimy to not have his own show by now.

People's mileage may vary, but to me a hypocrite is someone who advocates one set of standards for himself and another for other people. Mike kissed Rachel while he was in a relationship with Jenny and slept with his married high school girlfriend. He is a cheater.

The fact that Mike's romantic cheating was all prior to his getting serious with Rachel does not IMO make him any less of a hypocrite for getting as angry as he did about Rachel's cheating and the related issues (her not coming clean initially, her still having feelings for Logan and whatnot). I wish that they didn't write Rachel as much as a wet noodle as they did. I wish they gave her the fire to say, "Listen up. Yeah, I was confused for a few seconds about my feelings for Logan. Yeah, I should have told you. But if I wanted him, I could have him. I could be with him in a heartbeat. I don't want him. I want you. I cut him off. I'm not going to have a personal relationship with him. I'm not going to have a professional relationship with him. He's out of my life. If you're not going to forgive me for my 15 seconds of weakness, then that's on you. I'm sorry I hurt you. I hope you forgive me, because we've been good together and I love you." 

On another point, I do like the fact that the show brought up that Harvey has issues over cheating because his mom was a cheater. But I'm fairly sure that he knows that Mike got his ass kicked for cheating with a married woman and he never criticized Mike about it. Am I remembering that wrong? I suppose it's more in character that Harvey would give Mike a pass, but from a broader perspective, it's somewhat disappointing. 

• Love 2
I wish they gave her the fire to say, "Listen up. Yeah, I was confused for a few seconds...

Right. Rachel might have been about to say something like this, but dinky Mike stormed off in a huff in the middle of her reaction. Storming off in mid-conversation is a terrible, cheesy plot device, especially if you hung around in the lobby specifically to have a conversation with her. The whole thing was inauthentic in the extreme IMO.

• Love 2

I fail to see how Mike was being a hypocrite when he was mad at Rachel for kissing another guy.

This is how I see it as well - except I think he was not as angry about the kiss as he was about her complete inability to reassure him that it didn't mean anything. The kiss was a personal betrayal to the relationship (which I see as different from his not confessing his situation at work), and when he gave her an opening to say no, I didn't love it, it meant nothing, she couldn't say it. She blew it. I think that was what sealed it for Mike. Not the initial kiss, but her obvious emotions toward Logan.

On another note, I do resent that the show kind of revised Mike's leaving to be about his ego. Because he said no when it was just about him. He only left after the guy went after Harvey, and at the time, both Harvey and Mike recognized that he had to go to protect the people he cared for. I'm still going with that episode's take on it. That's the Mike I love.

• Love 3

This episode felt a little bit more like the Suits of old with flashes of the old petulant Louis and the  scenes at Harvey's apartment feeling more like the old Mike/Harvey.

I'm hoping Logan is gone for good because I can't take anymore of his smugness.

I'm still not liking Malone at all and as far as I can see he has done nothing to help with the SEC problem. He is only an employee but seems to think he deserves special treatment because he's sleeping with Jessica, and the fact that they have made Jessica bow to this fact is not something that sits well with me.

I'm feeling a little bad about my comments on DB Woodside's "acting " I'm starting to wonder if perhaps he has a medical condition. I noticed a couple of episodes back his hand was shaking a lot and now he seems to keep his hand in his pocket most of the time, Michael J Fox comes to mind as that was something he did to hide his tremor. I hope though that its just DB Woodside being a very bad actor.

* I hope my comments do not offend or upset anyone that is not my intention*

Edited by samfk2000
  • Love 1

If Rachel went away forever, I wouldn't miss her.

What's to miss?  She's just another super long hair, super tight clothes, super high heels character, most likely designed to elicit a sexual response.  And she doesn't seem to have more than three facial expressions.

Unfortunately, Gina Torres seems to have been pushed into that mold as well (though she does have a wider range of facial expressions) -- she was much curvier in Firefly.

• Love 1

Regardless of what the character said, the implication was that Mike's leaving came after he had the conversation with Jessica and realized he would always be in the shadows, not able to take credit for his "brilliance," because it would call too much attention to him and his secret might be exposed.  He may have said or supposedly realized that he wanted to "protect" the people that he cares about, but ultimately it seemed to be more about I can never get any real credit since I can't let people know which big coos and deals are my idea because they might ask too many questions.

If it were really about protecting those he loves he wouldn't come back and would have tried harder to make the investment thing work.  He is coming back because he wants to be somewhere that he feels  successful to make himself feel better. He could go be a fraud in another firm, he has the credentials, and thereby still protect people he cares about by exposing strangers that he doesn't care about to his fraudulent practices.  

It is that type of inconsistency in the writing that drives me crazy.  If he wanted to protect the firm, why write him as returning to the firm, which is now under more threat due to the investigation?  I also agree with the poster above...if Harvey has such a problem with cheaters, why was he so ok with Mike's cheating with a married woman?  If Louis has such a devotion to ethics (episode with ethics professor and MIke) why is he ok with the money laundering thing just to get respect from Harvey and Jessica?

I did not like Louis with Shelia. I want him to have a girlfriend, but the two of them together was too much strangeness.  I also wonder how they are going to work MIke's former secretary into this mix.  Katrina should be working with Harvey and Rachel with Louis.

• Love 2

I have a relative, let's call him Uncle Bob, who cheated on his wife for many years. He hated Bill Clinton because "Bill Clinton was a liar who lied about having an affair with Monica Lewinsky."  Uncle Bob is a hypocrite. 

If Mike refused to work on a case with because the client had cheated on his/her spouse, Mike would be a hypocrite.  If Mike refused to eat lunch with a co-worker because that co-worker had cheated on his/her significant other, Mike would be a hypocrite.  If Mike thinks that the woman he cheated on had no right to be upset about it, but he can be upset about Rachel's cheating, then Mike would be a hypocrite.   

IMO, Mike has a right to be mad at Rachel for cheating on him. He thought he could trust her to be faithful and, I am assuming, he was faithful to her and always planned to be.  Her cheating hurt him and he can be mad about it.  He can especially be upset about her still having feelings for Logan.  I don't remember Mike saying that Rachel was morally beneath him, that would make him a hypocrite.  She hurt him, he was mad about it.  She was unfaithful, and he isn't sure if he can go back to trusting her.

To say that he shouldn't be mad at her because it makes him a hypocrite means that he can't ever be upset if she cheats on him because he had cheated on someone else in the past. Imagine that conversation "Rachel, you kissed Logan?  Well, I cheated on someone else once. So, no problem. What do you want to have for dinner?"

As for being mad that she didn't tell him sooner - I am not so sure he was mad at her for that, but assuming he was --- Yes, he took a long time to tell her about the fraud stuff, but most of that time, they weren't dating.  And if she decided to tell someone, Louis, her father, the bar association, the police, Mike could go to jail, Harvey and Jessica could be in a lot of trouble.  Mike had to be sure he could trust her.  Then he was worried she would leave him.  After he told her, they agreed not to keep secrets.  As far as we know, he hasn't kept any secrets, except when they were on opposites of a "case," which is understandable. This was apparently the first secret kept by either of them since they agreed not to keep secrets.  She kept a secret, so, technically, he could be mad about it.  I think he had bigger things to be mad at her for. 

When it comes to him saying that he is coming back to the firm and she just needs to deal with it - I don't see any hypocrisy in that, but I do think he was wrong to say she had no say in the matter.  If they stay together, his getting caught will affect her life too. 

• Love 5

But I'm fairly sure that he knows that Mike got his ass kicked for cheating with a married woman and he never criticized Mike about it. Am I remembering that wrong?

He told Mike that he got off easily and that he needs to get his ______ together.

This is how I see it as well - except I think he was not as angry about the kiss as he was about her complete inability to reassure him that it didn't mean anything.

Technically, I think he was angry about both. Her inability to convince him is what led to his calling off the relationship.

If he wanted to protect the firm, why write him as returning to the firm, which is now under more threat due to the investigation?

In this case I think they're going for his having no choice. He was ready to go work for frostman until Louis stopped him.  Both Harvey and Louis wanted to bring him back , not the other way around.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1

I dunno. They aren't married or even engaged (are they?). Is a kiss "cheating"? This was more like a moment. And you can't control your feelings (at least I cannot). Expecting 100% devotion is superhuman. Oh I still have some feelings for this person but not enough to torpedo the relationship we've created etc.

You can go back and forth about this sort of thing. As we see here in this forum. You hash it out or at least try to. What irks me is that such a discussion is exactly what they should be having, instead of him stomping off and leaving her sputtering mid-sentence in the lobby. He can be mad, but it's petulant to walk out on the exact conversation that they need to have.

The writers are one-note I think. They fall back on ultimatum volleys rather than writing actual conversations.

• Love 2

Regardless of what the character said, the implication was that Mike's leaving came after he had the conversation with Jessica and realized he would always be in the shadows, not able to take credit for his "brilliance," because it would call too much attention to him and his secret might be exposed.  

Maybe I'm totally misremembering what happened in the episodes. My recollection was that his conversation with Jessica took place an episode or two before the finale. He had that case he handled where the magazine was going to do an interview, and even as he told Jessica he knew that would happen, it hit him in that episode that he'd never be able to take credit for his work. Then over the next episode or two, he thought about leaving the firm and becoming his own man. But ultimately, he had the hacker do her thing for him and made the decision to stay where he was, turning down the job, the money and the chance at "freedom" from it all. Had it been all about his ego, THAT would have been the time for him to leave, IMO. I seem to recall at the time I was actually annoyed with Harvey (and maybe Donna?) for pushing him to stay, since frankly it WOULD have been better for Mike and all of them if he left.

So instead, it was during the finale, when the US Attorney hauled Mike in for questioning, trying to get him to flip on Harvey, that pushed Mike to finally say "Enough." So again, unless I'm misremembering the episode order, I stand by my assessment of how the writers portrayed the situation. Mike didn't actually make his decision after talking to Jessica. In fact, he considered it and specifically decided AGAINST leaving at that time, right? So I connect the actual decision to go to the US attorney going after Harvey more than to Mike's need to be a big gun.

But like I said, that's what I resented about this season. I had no doubt in my mind at the end of last season about how all that went down. But this season seemed to revise it to be all about Mike's ego, which didn't fit with my impressions. Maybe I should go rewatch the end of last season to remind myself. Regardless, I still love Mike, flaws and all, and I still see him as a good guy at heart. So ... like I said, I'm thrilled he's back at the firm and thrilled to see he and Harvey together again. Frankly, I'd like to see him work with Louis more now, especially after Louis brought him back. I was always sad that Mike went back to Harvey instead of working with Louis way back when. I really enjoy the two of them together ... ALMOST as much as I like Mike and Harvey. Almost.

A purported genius with a photographic memory and (admittedly fake) credentials plus two or more years' experience at Pearson Specter has more options than either taking a job offer with Forstman or returning to Pearson Specter.

At the very worst, he could open up his own shingle and take the fighting-for-the-little-guy cases he claims to love so much. 

Assuming PS operates on anything close to the real world, Mike conservatively made $300k or more for his first couple years. He certainly spent a good portion of that on Grammy's place and just Manhattan living, but he is presumably not in such dire shape that he immediately needed to latch on to the first skeezy job offer that came along or going back to being a fraud.

• Love 4
On ‎31‎.‎7‎.‎2014 at 3:29 PM, el perro fumando said:

Eh, I don't have a problem with Mike's reaction to Rachel. And I don't feel like he's being hypocrite, due to the completely different nature of (1) what happened in the different situations, and (2) what he seemed to be most troubled by. Rachel not only was kissing a guy she previously had an affair with, but (and this is the big but), when Mike directly asked if it meant nothing to her, she couldn't even reassure him that yes, it was nothing. THAT was the biggie.  I think Mike wanted to forgive her and let it go, but how do you do that when she can't even tell him it meant nothing? She really screwed up how she told him and how she reacted to his reaction, if you will. And she totally told half a story to Donna, when she said he didn't give her a chance to explain. He did, and more than once. But she couldn't explain it. I think that's the thing that sent Mike packing.  If you're going to confess what you did (which I"m not convinced was best; such confessions almost always seem offered in order to ease a guilty conscience, not to help the betrayed person), then at least know how you feel about it and have an answer ready when the person asks, "Did you like it? What did it mean?" Seriously, Rachel. Idiot. Have your explanation ready BEFORE you drop a bomb like that. 

Actually, Rachel said that it didn't mean anything, but Mike stormed out. It was only later that she didn't answer to his question.

Of course it would better to think before one speak. But actually, speaking all the right words doesn't prove that they are true. In fact just the opposite, a person who continually cheats, can speak more convincingly than a person who has never strayed before.    

On ‎5‎.‎8‎.‎2014 at 7:08 PM, needschocolate said:

IMO, Mike has a right to be mad at Rachel for cheating on him. He thought he could trust her to be faithful and, I am assuming, he was faithful to her and always planned to be.  Her cheating hurt him and he can be mad about it.  He can especially be upset about her still having feelings for Logan.  I don't remember Mike saying that Rachel was morally beneath him, that would make him a hypocrite.  She hurt him, he was mad about it.  She was unfaithful, and he isn't sure if he can go back to trusting her.

I think that Mike's reaction was oversized. After all, it was just one kiss.

Rachel confessed just after Mike had said that although he has lost everything else, he has still her who is to him most important. That is in a way sweet, but it put a huge pressure on Rachel - she is his anchor in life, or even a saint whom he has put on the pedestal. And a saint can have no weaknesses.

After all, Mike had got a girlfriend whom he in his earlier life couldn't even meet: not only pretty and smart but a law student and with a rich family. Although Rachel said that "I don't deserve you", that's what Mike must feel. Therefore, somebody like Rachel's ex-boyfriend must seem a threat to him.       

On ‎5‎.‎8‎.‎2014 at 8:28 PM, fauntleroy said:

I dunno. They aren't married or even engaged (are they?). Is a kiss "cheating"? This was more like a moment. And you can't control your feelings (at least I cannot). Expecting 100% devotion is superhuman. Oh I still have some feelings for this person but not enough to torpedo the relationship we've created etc.

I agree with this. I wonder how many people has not done something similar.  

On ‎31‎.‎7‎.‎2014 at 8:09 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Mike not telling Rachel about his being a fraud is just the tip of his hypocrisy. Mike not only kissed Rachel when he was with Jenny, he slept with a married woman. Mike also helped numerous people cheat on their LSATs.

Yes, but many people are mad just because they have done just the same that they blame others. Mike and Jenny had kissed when Jenny was Trevor's girlfriend and it was just that which made Jenny suspicious of Rachel. Plus how Mike had looked at Jenny and now looked at Rachel.

Also, Mike knows that Rachel isn't blameless. She had had an affair with a married man, Logan. And although she knew that Mike dated Jenny, she actively tried to get him by kissing him and sending him that message.

On ‎31‎.‎7‎.‎2014 at 3:29 PM, el perro fumando said:

Rachel not only was kissing a guy she previously had an affair with, but (and this is the big but), when Mike directly asked if it meant nothing to her, she couldn't even reassure him that yes, it was nothing. THAT was the biggie.  I think Mike wanted to forgive her and let it go, but how do you do that when she can't even tell him it meant nothing? She really screwed up how she told him and how she reacted to his reaction, if you will. And she totally told half a story to Donna, when she said he didn't give her a chance to explain. He did, and more than once. But she couldn't explain it. I think that's the thing that sent Mike packing.  If you're going to confess what you did (which I"m not convinced was best; such confessions almost always seem offered in order to ease a guilty conscience, not to help the betrayed person), then at least know how you feel about it and have an answer ready when the person asks, "Did you like it? What did it mean?" Seriously, Rachel. Idiot. Have your explanation ready BEFORE you drop a bomb like that. 

I think that it's just the people who use to cheat "have answers ready" and can very convincingly say that it didn't mean anything.

I doubt that not many persons, and certainly not Mike, can handle the truth which in this case it would be something like: "Yes, I liked it, I had even longed for it, I went there knowing that it would happen - and it was just after forawhile I realized that I couldn't do it."