Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E05: The Last Unicorn

The Last Unicorn is one of my favourite movies. I'm glad it was just the episode title.

Showing off Sutton's dance moves again - was she singing the song she danced to too?

Deep Googling - LOL - been there.

I enjoy Liza acting kinda clumsy around Charles, like she did when she had a crush on him. I could've done without the alternating Charles/Quinn and Liza/Vince scenes. This show has never been about what Charles gets up to. Liza's  breakdown was somewhat mirroring her in season 1 when she struggled finding a job.
LOL on Quinn honeytrapping Charles for political reasons and that Kennedy knockoff falling for it.

Maggie is gorgeous - the little screentime she had in this episode was sizzling. And Lauren and Kelsey taking Claire out felt somewhat organic too.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Aulty said:

The Last Unicorn is one of my favourite movies. I'm glad it was just the episode title.

Showing off Sutton's dance moves again - was she singing the song she danced to too?

Deep Googling - LOL - been there.

I enjoy Liza acting kinda clumsy around Charles, like she did when she had a crush on him. I could've done without the alternating Charles/Quinn and Liza/Vince scenes. This show has never been about what Charles gets up to. Liza's  breakdown was somewhat mirroring her in season 1 when she struggled finding a job.
LOL on Quinn honeytrapping Charles for political reasons and that Kennedy knockoff falling for it.

Maggie is gorgeous - the little screentime she had in this episode was sizzling. And Lauren and Kelsey taking Claire out felt somewhat organic too.

Yes she was - She was dancing to herself singing "Forget About the Boy" from Thoroughly Modern Millie. She won the Tony for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for Millie

Edited by LuckyMommy
Youtube Links
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4

So this season really is going to be all about Liza and Charles finding their way back to each other. Boring. Someone should really put together a supercut once the season's over with everything that had nothing to do with that couple, could be actually fun! I enjoyed Maggie's story in this one. Not quite sure what the point was of the C-story with Lauren and Kelsey and Josh's ex-probably-soon-to-be-partner, but admittedly I wasn't paying a ton of attention.

This show continues to drop in quality 70% without Diana.

• Love 5

Ugh they are taking Josh out of the running and going full Charles aren’t they? I was just texting with a friend how we’d love to see a DIFFERENT ending for a change. Let the 45 yo woman end up unmarried and happy with a 32 year old tattoo artist instead of engaged to the age appropriate businessman for a change.  (I am not projecting because I’m a 45 yo woman with a crush on a 31 year old physical therapist. I’m not. Ok I may be...but the ending they seem to be pointing towards is so BORING.)

I also miss Diana.

Also how does Liza meet hot older men everywhere she goes? I know it’s a TV show. Fine. Fine. And what the HELL did the makeup people do to Janeane Garafalo? Too dark makeup and they left a white ring around her mouth.

Edited by MissL
  • Love 10

This show is just screwing with us to fill up several episodes before it makes Liza land wherever she's going to land.  It wants us to think that Josh is out of the running but then at the last minute it could still put her back into her quandary over whether to end up with Josh or Charles just like in earlier seasons.  And in the very last 5 minutes of the final episode is when either she will make the choice or it will be made obvious to her by a change of fate.

A hot older single man like that is a unicorn for sure.  Of course unicorns like that only appear in the wrong place at the wrong time and as she found out, are the wrong thing anyway.

I know the show made Liza dig her heels in about not wanting to marry to drag out the suspense about who she ends up with because the show couldn't have her still in a relationship with Charles if it was going to have anything interesting to put in its final season.  But just as I predicted in an earlier thread, she is realizing what a potential mistake she's made in doing that.  What I can't buy is how she can stand to be at meetings and see Quinn touch Charles' hand, read chapters and have whatever budding relationship is taking place between them rubbed in her face without doing something to nip that shit in the bud before it grows into anything serious.  OK maybe now she has something she can wave in Charles' face about Quinn to make her look bad, but is that enough?  I know if I really loved a guy I couldn't stand by and let all that happen.  I wouldn't let him get away.  I think this episode was highlighting how men often are either all-in and want marriage or just want a "casual" relationship.  Sure, there are stages in between but how realistic is it of her to think she's going to find that?  Maybe what she wants is also a "unicorn".  And is that the hill Liza wants this relationship to die on?  How much does Charles really mean to her?  I thought he meant more.  Maybe the poster up thread was right that she has lingering feelings for Josh getting in the way.  Who knows?  I guess this season is all about her figuring that out, hopefully before it's too late.

• Love 1

I’m not sure expected of the last season but this isn’t it.

I expected Charles or Josh not Charles or random guys that none of us care about...

In the situation identify with Charles more. If she had said to Charles I’m not ready to get married right now but we will get there eventually.  They would still be together but she’s like I don’t know I believe in marriage anymore and it may not be something I want.  Then she tells Josh that she basically agrees with him about not having to define everything.  I think what she’s missing is the Josh is in his 20s and not having to define everything in your 20s is a lot different than Charles’ age.  I think that Liza has spent so much time pretending to be in her 20s she actually feels like she’s in her 20s.  The truth is your decision making at your 20s in your decision making in your 40s changes.  The show is always challenged that change and I respect that.  But there’s a practical reason for it, we don’t live forever. So it’s easy for me to see how somebody with a divorce just wants to move forward in a happy marriage. 

I don’t think that means that Liza has to change the way that she feels but she acts like she doesn’t even understand where he’s coming from.  Then that scene where she’s out with sad divorced dad and she’s like I just want to be free.  Yeah I don’t know...

I also thought what she said to Quinn was kind of mean.  Quinn may be ambitious but I thought that scene that she was really trying to check with Liza to see if Charles was free.  She made that comment about her being his rebound it was mean.

Is Kelsey not gonna get a love interest and I hope they don’t put her back together with Zane?  Any guy that can’t handle your success

It looks like they’re setting Josh to be with the mother of his kid which I guess is fine 

(edited)

Can we just drop all the love triangle stuff and have awesome guest stars like Janeane Garofalo and scenes of Sutton dancing TO HER OWN SINGING?

I saw her in Thoroughly Modern Millie during the pre-Broadway run and if not for that, I probably wouldn't be watching Younger right now. She was so amazing as Millie and I've been a fan ever since.

OF COURSE Maggie slept with her new boss's wife. Better get those crowns replaced before the boss finds out!

Liza shouldn't have even asked Quinn if she should forward her notes about Quinn's book to Charles. She should have just forwarded the notes to Charles and not said anything to Quinn.

Vince seemed like a nice guy so I liked seeing him and Liza having a nice time together at the party. But I guess yelling that you're still in love with your ex is enough to scare most guys off so I don't expect to see Vince again.

While Quinn is calculating and devious, I still feel for her because it is absolute BULL SHIT that people care whether a female politician is married. That has nothing to do with anything! Single men and divorced men have no problem getting elected. Men who have had huge scandals for cheating get elected all the time too. But an unmarried woman? PERISH THE THOUGHT.

I had to laugh a little at Kelsey and Lauren taking Claire out to brunch. Remember back when those two had tons of friends and acquaintances? Now they're befriending Liza's ex-boyfriend's ex-girlfriend. Between that and Josh hanging out with Maggie, you'd think that no one in New York was capable of making new friends unless they were somehow connected to Liza.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, dmc said:

I’m not sure expected of the last season but this isn’t it.

I expected Charles or Josh not Charles or random guys that none of us care about...

In the situation identify with Charles more. If she had said to Charles I’m not ready to get married right now but we will get there eventually.  They would still be together but she’s like I don’t know I believe in marriage anymore and it may not be something I want.  Then she tells Josh that she basically agrees with him about not having to define everything.  I think what she’s missing is the Josh is in his 20s and not having to define everything in your 20s is a lot different than Charles’ age.  I think that Liza has spent so much time pretending to be in her 20s she actually feels like she’s in her 20s.  The truth is your decision making at your 20s in your decision making in your 40s changes.  The show is always challenged that change and I respect that.  But there’s a practical reason for it, we don’t live forever. So it’s easy for me to see how somebody with a divorce just wants to move forward in a happy marriage. 

She was honest with Charles. She said she wanted to be in a committed relationship with him but didn’t want to get married. She wanted to stay and he’s the one that walked away because he didn’t get exactly what he wanted when he wanted. Why didn’t he try to understand where SHE was coming from. Talk a bit more, understand more whys she sees marriage the way she does and give HER time. He knows how rough her divorce was. He’s not even divorced yet what’s the big hurry. 

Ive known plenty of people not in their 20s who don’t think marriage is for them or maybe don’t want a second marriage.  I’ve also known many (my aunt) who jumps from one marriage to the next. Marriage does not necessarily mean happy. Also. What do you mean by practical reason and what does not living forever have to do with it? I’m genuinely confused on that comment and curious what that means.  

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Vince seemed like a nice guy so I liked seeing him and Liza having a nice time together at the party. But I guess yelling that you're still in love with your ex is enough to scare most guys off so I don't expect to see Vince again.

He seemed like a nice guy until he got super excited about Liza not wanting to get married and took that as an opening to skip past any of the “dating” stuff and straight to sex which is what I took the “we can skip dinner” wink wink to mean. And his complaint that women were upset he didn’t want to get married but I took that as I’m newly divorced and I want to sleep around and not have a relationship and  yay you seem dtf. I’ve been on a date with that guy. Many of that guy.  But hey good to see you here electricBoogaloo I stopped watching GH so long ago I can’t even keep up in the thread anymore because I don’t know who you all are talking about.

• Love 2

Maggie looked fire this episode.  Her hair and outfits were on point.  That being said, hasn’t she had this situation happen to her before??  I feel deja vu here.  

Are Diana and Enzo ever coming back?  I need them, and we deserve them.  Lauren is not doing it for me trying to be Mini Diana.  

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, MissL said:

She was honest with Charles. She said she wanted to be in a committed relationship with him but didn’t want to get married. She wanted to stay and he’s the one that walked away because he didn’t get exactly what he wanted when he wanted. Why didn’t he try to understand where SHE was coming from. Talk a bit more, understand more whys she sees marriage the way she does and give HER time. He knows how rough her divorce was. He’s not even divorced yet what’s the big hurry. 

Ive known plenty of people not in their 20s who don’t think marriage is for them or maybe don’t want a second marriage.  I’ve also known many (my aunt) who jumps from one marriage to the next. Marriage does not necessarily mean happy. Also. What do you mean by practical reason and what does not living forever have to do with it? I’m genuinely confused on that comment and curious what that means.  

He seemed like a nice guy until he got super excited about Liza not wanting to get married and took that as an opening to skip past any of the “dating” stuff and straight to sex which is what I took the “we can skip dinner” wink wink to mean. And his complaint that women were upset he didn’t want to get married but I took that as I’m newly divorced and I want to sleep around and not have a relationship and  yay you seem dtf. I’ve been on a date with that guy. Many of that guy.  But hey good to see you here electricBoogaloo I stopped watching GH so long ago I can’t even keep up in the thread anymore because I don’t know who you all are talking about.

She was honest with him and he was honest back.  He wants somebody who wants to get married.  He did understand where she was coming from he just doesn’t want the same things.  You can understand where someone is coming from and still not be on the same page with that person.  That wasn’t enough of a commitment for him.  

I know a lot of people who are not in their 20s who don’t think being in a marriage is for them either.  But they shouldn’t be surprised if other people want that.  That’s the surprising part to me not that she didn’t want that but that she acted surprised that’s a dealbreaker for people.

As for the other part, some people are on a timetable when it comes to their life.  

I had certain things I wanted to do or accomplish by a certain age. Charles seems like that type.  He probably feels like his first marriage didn’t work out so he’s already behind there.  He wants his personal life settled.

If he had proceeded with Liza, he would still be secretly hoping she would change her mind and that’s not positive for either of them

The smarter thing to do in that situation is for her to find somebody who wants what she wants and him to find somebody who wants what he wants

Edited by dmc
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, dmc said:

She was honest with him and he was honest back.  He wants somebody who wants to get married.  He did understand where she was coming from he just doesn’t want the same things.  You can understand where someone is coming from and still not be on the same page with that person.  That wasn’t enough of a commitment for him.  

I know a lot of people who are not in their 20s who don’t think being in a marriage is for them either.  But they shouldn’t be surprised if other people want that.  That’s the surprising part to me not that she didn’t want that but that she acted surprised that’s a dealbreaker for people.

As for the other part, some people are on a timetable when it comes to their life.  

I had certain things I wanted to do or accomplish by a certain age. Charles seems like that type.  He probably feels like his first marriage didn’t work out so he’s already behind there.  He wants his personal life settled.

If he had proceeded with Liza, he would still be secretly hoping she would change her mind and that’s not positive for either of them

The smarter thing to do in that situation is for her to find somebody who wants what she wants and him to find somebody who wants what he wants

As an older person who has been there and done that with marriage and know many people in my age bracket with similar issues, I think both Charles and Liza are "once burned, twice shy" about commitment, but on opposite ends of the spectrum.  He was burned and left by someone so he is doubly concerned with someone being faithful to him.  He sees someone that isn't willing to go to the extent of getting married to him as not being "all-in" on the relationship.  And he actually may be right about that because I see Liza's being shy about commitment for the same reasons she ended up divorced from her husband and started a relationship with a 20-something that she could see as an interim thing and not a fully committed relationship.  There was no threat of that with Josh because he was so easygoing about those things. 

Liza is afraid that if she gets too committed to Charles, what if he develops a gambling addiction like her ex did (OK maybe not that but insert irrational fear here)?  So she would rather not make a firm marital commitment until she feels more secure in Charles being a steadfast guy that won't mess up her life.  I'm not sure she needs to worry about that, though.  He seems nothing if not completely rock solid and predictable.  Her reticence about marriage may be because she has lingering feelings for Josh, which would also explain why she turned down Charles' proposal.  So both of them are working off their baggage and trust issues from their previous marriages and in Liza's case also her previous relationship with Josh.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

As an older person who has been there and done that with marriage and know many people in my age bracket with similar issues, I think both Charles and Liza are "once burned, twice shy" about commitment, but on opposite ends of the spectrum.  He was burned and left by someone so he is doubly concerned with someone being faithful to him.  He sees someone that isn't willing to go to the extent of getting married to him as not being "all-in" on the relationship.  And he actually may be right about that because I see Liza's being shy about commitment for the same reasons she ended up divorced from her husband and started a relationship with a 20-something that she could see as an interim thing and not a fully committed relationship.  There was no threat of that with Josh because he was so easygoing about those things. 

Liza is afraid that if she gets too committed to Charles, what if he develops a gambling addiction like her ex did (OK maybe not that but insert irrational fear here)?  So she would rather not make a firm marital commitment until she feels more secure in Charles being a steadfast guy that won't mess up her life.  I'm not sure she needs to worry about that, though.  He seems nothing if not completely rock solid and predictable.  Her reticence about marriage may be because she has lingering feelings for Josh, which would also explain why she turned down Charles' proposal.  So both of them are working off their baggage from their previous marriages and in Liza's case also her previous relationship with Josh.

Absolutely agree. And I think eventually they’ll find a way back to each other. But I like that he took her at her word about marriage whether or not she changes her mind later. It shows that he takes her seriously.  I really don’t like in relationships where a person expresses something and the other party is like...well they will change their mind.  

• Love 2

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I had to laugh a little at Kelsey and Lauren taking Claire out to brunch. Remember back when those two had tons of friends and acquaintances? Now they're befriending Liza's ex-boyfriend's ex-girlfriend. Between that and Josh hanging out with Maggie, you'd think that no one in New York was capable of making new friends unless they were somehow connected to Liza.

So I got confused...do Lauren and Kelsey both actually live in Josh's apartment?

On 4/22/2021 at 1:29 PM, MaggieG said:

And Maggie hooking up with her new boss's wife! Not her fault, of course. 

More confusion...since the hook-up chick was the new boss's wife, where did the hook-up take place?  They made it look like Maggie was following hook-up chick...so was it a quickie at hook-up's place, with hook-up figuring she had time before wife came back from the gallery?  If that was the case, you'd think we would have heard some dialog afterward (during that scene where she was talking about it with someone, but I forget who) about how it had to be rushed.  If it was at Maggie's place, which seems unlikely, hook-up chick still would probably be under a time constraint, and there would have been some dialog.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, LuvMyShows said:

So I got confused...do Lauren and Kelsey both actually live in Josh's apartment?

Yes they are roomies. iirc Kelsey moved in after her fiance's death and Lauren when she split from the doctor.
It makes makes absolutely no sense that they still live there - Kelsey ran a highly successful imprint and was, at one point, publisher of Empirical. Surely she makes at least as much as Diana. Lauren is somewhat successful with her PR firm and can afford extravagant parties to celebrate her 30th. And Josh, with his Forever21 side hustle and booming business , should be able to make rent without the girls.
At least with Liza you can make the argument that she has to pay for her daughter's college. Kelsey only has to finance her daydrinking.

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3
On 4/23/2021 at 7:36 PM, MissL said:

And what the HELL did the makeup people do to Janeane Garafalo? Too dark makeup and they left a white ring around her mouth.

Seriously though! When I first saw her I was like "Is that Janeane Garafalo?! Nah, looks like they got a discount Janeane Garafalo....", then I realized they got the real deal and just did her dirty.

• Love 2

Okay, for once the hair and make-up department did not hate Hillary Duff. Kelsey looked great in her last scene.

As for the rest: meh! Why is Liza ranting about Charles and semantics when he could actually say the same about her? He wanted to get married - she did not, he broke up. I don't see why he should have staid in a relationship with someone who did not want the same level of commitment. She did not want that and good for her - but now move on, girl.

And I hated the writing for Vince. He was presented as a great guy and then came the sudden heel/face-turn  that caused Liza to have cathartic moment. Well, I think that was the intention but to me she behaved like teenager who's over analyzing her crush. And her outrage after his suggestion to become sex buddies sounded a bit wrong after last week. My immediate reaction was 'Run Vince, run!' - which he did LOL!

Oh, Maggie - that's the price you pay for not insisting on a proper introduction before hitting the sack.

I'm still with Quinn, the BS about single female politicians is real. So she goes after a discount Kennedy, and Charles fits the bill. I just hope he realizes what she's up to without Liza having to swoop in and save him, because that's all kinds of urggh.

This show has been such a waste of brilliant Broadway actresses' talent. Sutton and Laura Benanti for two, among others. Just makes you want to cry, it's gotten so bad.

On 4/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, dmc said:

This. This. THIS. 
I hate this version of Liza. Why did they back track her growth?  I don’t know if I even want to watch the remainder of this season. Liza is acting like a flighty 20-something. Ugh!!!

• Love 1
On 4/23/2021 at 1:50 PM, LuckyMommy said:

Yes she was - She was dancing to herself singing "Forget About the Boy" from Thoroughly Modern Millie. She won the Tony for Best Lead Actress in a Musical for Millie

Thank you for posting this. I saw this show on Broadway twice and even my husband came with me both times and loved it. The show was FABULOUS and Sutton was FABULOUS in it. Such a talented woman. She deserved that Emmy.

• Love 1

I kind of love that Quinn is such a bulldozer. Men go after what they want all the time; why shouldn't a woman? Laura Benanti is so good in the role.

Liza and Charles will probably end up together, but someone is going to have to make a big compromise on a basic principle. That's not a good thing to have hanging over a relationship.