Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Wingman

• Start Topic

Episode Description:

While in active pursuit of murderous criminals, Michaela is sidelined by devastating news. Ben teams up with an unusually gifted 828er to aid a young teen. As Grace confronts ancient family wounds, Olive explores ancient mythology in hopes of helping all the passengers.

Before trying to deal with a person who has dementia, you need to educate yourself on how their brains work and don’t work.  They are not capable of processing some information, like the death of loved ones.  Trying to force it on them is cruel and pointless.  Man, that was hard to watch.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 13

I’m also disappointed that another show seems to treat the care of a person who has dementia so casually.  Omg, they have no idea what is involved.  It’s an around the clock, full time job that requires a lot of patience, care and education about the condition.  Why can’t shows address important issues with some intelligence?  

• Love 13
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’m also disappointed that another show seems to treat the care of a person who has dementia so casually.  Omg, they have no idea what is involved.  It’s an around the clock, full time job that requires a lot of patience, care and education about the condition.  Why can’t shows address important issues with some intelligence?  

I actually thought the show handled the dementia plot better than any of its other plots, but that’s a pretty low bar. 
Still, at least they had Zeke explain that he had experience caring of a relative with dementia. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

There is no way that Zeke and Michaela are going to have the time to take care of the old lady.  That old lady can't be left alone at all. 

They actually gave Michaela a line saying they would hire someone to be with her.
Over the past 5 years family has been dealing with elderly relatives who need care, so I was paying attention to that part of the show.

Just now, shapeshifter said:

They actually gave Michaela a line saying they would hire someone to be with her.
Over the past 5 years family has been dealing with elderly relatives who need care, so I was paying attention to that part of the show.

Although they didn't mention that it would take about $50/yr to hire 2 low-paid, full time nursing assistants to be with her.
So. yeah.

I am so spoiled from when we could edit out posts. Hopefully that will return soon.

• Love 3

So Cal can just send messages to the meth heads minds now? That makes no sense. And I guess they are trying to redeem these guys?

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Although they didn't mention that it would take about $50/yr to hire 2 low-paid, full time nursing assistants to be with her.
So. yeah.

I am so spoiled from when we could edit out posts. Hopefully that will return soon.

The husband had arranged for her to live in a full-time care place, so presumably they could use that money to cover the cost of a nurse or home health aid. I am sure a live in place is also not cheap.

But they really would need to have someone who could be on call all the time, because they may be running off investigating callings late at night. The dementia is only going to get worse. My grandmother had it and we couldn't leave her alone at all. Michaela was absolutely trying to do a nice thing, so I give her some credit, but she really has no idea what she's taking on. Plus the writers are not going to actually follow through with anything about this storyline.

• Love 5

So, is meth-head # 2 going to turn good since Ben and Eagen saved his brother ?  I suspect not.

Zeke's powers of empathy continue to .... work, I guess.  Are they a spin-off of the callings ?  Will everyone that successfully passes their death date also get the 'powers of empathy' ?

Enough with the peacocks already.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The ‘old lady’ is the mother of Michaela’s best friend.  The one that died in the car accident that occurred while Michaela was driving her home from a night out before 828 occurred.  
However I hope that the calling that wants Michaela to look after her provides 24/7 caregivers.  Because the woman is portrayed as far enough along in her  dementia that she  needs them.  She can’t be left alone for a minute and I don’t think Zeke wants to be changing her diaper and giving her a shower. 

why are the callings allowing the newly available passenger to exist since he clearly hasn’t reformed?  

was that TJ in the antiquity research area?  Why did Olive need to introduce herself if it was?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

was that TJ in the antiquity research area?  Why did Olive need to introduce herself if it was?

No, it was someone new. TJ had sent the artifacts back from Egypt, and this new student was the one working on them.

• Love 1

That episode felt really long and it was a convoluted mess with way too many random plot threads.  The dialogue felt even worse and more clunky than usual.  Especially that fast-talking chess board playing while discussing "The Callings" with Ben.  It was just so staged.  It took them *that* long to realize they needed to find a place where valuable objects were stored?  Museums do have storage rooms too, you know.  

Why did Olive and the other girl need to be at the university artifacts lab?  That guy (or, TJ in Egypt) could have put the pieces together and sent them a picture, and same result... ooh, it's another peacock.  What else is new?

Meanwhile, we have Grace and her brother's made-up-yesterday drama.  Fight and make up, fight and make up... let's not make it three for three next week.

Psycho meth head kidnappers are on the loose.  "Did you have fun playing in the woods??!!!"

And where was the follow-up with the press pounding on their door?  

On 4/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, icemiser69 said:

There is no way that Zeke and Michaela are going to have the time to take care of the old lady.  That old lady can't be left alone at all. 

I guess that's what Zeke is for.  When he's not playing Medical Receptionist #1 in the credits.

I don't watch promos, so I'll just write one for next week.

Next week on Manifest, the most important piece of the puzzle.  Is headed for the incinerator.  There are 23,000 trash cans in New York City.  Can The Callings lead Ben to the right one?  The Fate of the 828 Passengers hang in the balance.  Or not, but whatever.  Meanwhile, Michaela, Grace, Saanvi, Olive, Vance, Guy In Jail and The Major's Daughter all reach a critical juncture in their respective B, C, D, E, F, G and H Plotlines.  Don't miss "Manifest" next week, same Peacock day, same Peacock time, same Poppycock writing.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 8
  • Love 2

Personally, I'm not going to complain anymore about the writing/plot holes, etc.  I'm just glad for some new drama to be available. I can't watch most 'reality' tv (housewives/khardashian) maybe some cooking shows, so I will take what I can get. 

My guess is that when Gregg gave the house to Michaela, he also made her his wife's medical proxy to make these decisions for her. 

Not sure how the whole 'empathy' after cheating death date is going to play out, in general I would think it would be a harder thing to convey than a true calling (fact bases) whereas empathy is by definition feeling what the other is feeling. Not saying it's not going to be interesting, just curious how they are going to achieve that via TV.

The methheads like Zeke were not on the flight but still 'died'.  Zeke had the callings and followed them, then overcame his death date.  These guys did not, so how did the slushie guy get the power of empathy??

47 minutes ago, jabRI said:

The methheads like Zeke were not on the flight but still 'died'.  Zeke had the callings and followed them, then overcame his death date.  These guys did not, so how did the slushie guy get the power of empathy??

Zeke died originally in the cold before he met Michaela. He then got callings   His ‘new’ death date was supposed to be the day he saved Cal from the meth heads. Then he lost the callings and gained empathy. 

the meth grads died the day Zeke saved Cal.  They are now back and getting callings(well at least the slushie guy is getting callings).   He actually already had empathy as he tried to take care of Cal when the head meth guy wanted to kill him.  The meth heads new death date is 84 days from when they came back out if the lake.  That’s why Grace, Cal, and the baby are hiding out for three months. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

Not sure how the whole 'empathy' after cheating death date is going to play out, in general I would think it would be a harder thing to convey than a true calling (fact bases) whereas empathy is by definition feeling what the other is feeling. Not saying it's not going to be interesting, just curious how they are going to achieve that via TV.

1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

the slushie guy is getting callings).   He actually already had empathy as he tried to take care of Cal when the head meth guy wanted to kill him.  

IRL people don't tend to change from being sociopaths incapable of feeling empathy to those who can. Sometimes people who had bad experiences growing up in bad situations or while in war situations can become generous and productive members of society, but they were not lacking the mental wiring for it as children. 
And there's a continuum too. I'm sure some loving parents and spouses did --as children themselves-- try pulling the wings off of flies for "fun," but they would not have graduated to killing the neighbor's pet.
At least, that's what I understand.
Of course, on this show, who knows?

• Love 1

The meth head in jail and the one whose brother was saved both seemed like followers.  As mentioned above, one of them tried to free Cal in the cabin near the end of last season.  As the younger brother of that sadistic guy, we will no doubt learn about his traumatic childhood leading him to follow the bad example of his older brother.  

The only character with sudden "empathy" as a superpower was Zeke, and this was after his death date.

• Love 1

Grace really hasn't seen her brother in awhile if he didn't even know Cal had cancer, I guess he never knew she thought her husband and son died either. They don't even follow each other on social media? So was Grace not taking care of their dying father because she was taking care of Cal? I don't like Grace very much, but that is one hell of a run of bad luck. 

Dementia is so hard to watch, most of this show is fun in a silly adventure kind of way, but those scenes are just painful. I hope that Zeke and Michaela really know what they're doing, looking after someone with dementia, even with professional help, is a whole lot of work. 

I just do not get the point of the meth heads are why they're important, they're just three random guys, one of whom is a a murderous psychopath and the others are drug addled followers. Why these yahoos? Why cant the Callings ever just say what they want? 

• Love 3

Grace bailing on her brother when their father was ill is definitely not a great look for her.  'Ben was working all the time...' OK, but this is family, you come to some understanding and work it out.  It its because of Cal and you can't deal with any more illness in your life, then use your words, don't just leave him in the lurch.  Guess they had to think of a way to introduce a new character, but its a pretty horrible story line for Grace.

• Love 2

Of course, in the time that Grace thought the flight went down she could have reached out to her brother and father (or is it step-father and step-brother?  I'm so confused).  The brother didn't even to have any questions about why Cal is so much younger than his twin sister... Grace did mention last episode that she had to take care of the twins.

Sadly I think the show doesn't know what to do with their stories as they had the exact carrying someone out of a burning building scene that they had last year (only it was the sister last time [out of that night club]) and chess guy this time.  I couldn't believe that they were using a previously used idea/scene/image.  Sigh.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

The brother didn't even to have any questions about why Cal is so much younger than his twin sister...

Does he know how old Olive is, she wasn't with them?  But still, Cal should be older than a preteen, that's just basic math.  There's a lot of gaps in the brother (step-brother? half-brother?) that will need to be filled in over time.  But yeah, I agree it doesn't make any sense that in the 5 year gap she only relied on Ben's family and didn't reach out to her own.  

• Love 1

I know we probably won't get anymore real followup to the dementia story, but Michaela should have just let the plan for the care home  go forward. Presumably, Glen carefully researched and planned for his wife if he died first. Reversing that may make Michaela feel good in the short term, but she has neither the expertise nor the time to care for someone with dementia. Yeah, she mentioned hiring someone, but on a cop's salary, how's that going to work?

And this may be bringing too much realism into this show, but someone help me out here: Michaela is not even this woman's legal guardian. Can she just negate all of the arrangements that Glen (the actual legal guardian) made on his wife's behalf?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, TVForever said:

I know we probably won't get anymore real followup to the dementia story, but Michaela should have just let the plan for the care home  go forward. Presumably, Glen carefully researched and planned for his wife if he died first. Reversing that may make Michaela feel good in the short term, but she has neither the expertise nor the time to care for someone with dementia.

Plus she pretty much has to drop everything twice a day because of Callings.  Not sure it's a healthy living environment if she's writhing on the floor holding her head while setting the table for dinner, if she even comes home for dinner, that is.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

IRL people don't tend to change from being sociopaths incapable of feeling empathy to those who can. Sometimes people who had bad experiences growing up in bad situations or while in war situations can become generous and productive members of society, but they were not lacking the mental wiring for it as children. 
And there's a continuum too. I'm sure some loving parents and spouses did --as children themselves-- try pulling the wings off of flies for "fun," but they would not have graduated to killing the neighbor's pet.
At least, that's what I understand.
Of course, on this show, who knows?

Do we know that the meth heads were actual sociopaths? I don't remember that part. Because while I agree, actual sociopath's don't change (in real life), some criminals do reform. I guess it doesn't matter though, since this shows premise involves breaking the laws of physics. Anything can happen.

13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Grace really hasn't seen her brother in awhile if he didn't even know Cal had cancer, I guess he never knew she thought her husband and son died either. They don't even follow each other on social media? So was Grace not taking care of their dying father because she was taking care of Cal? I don't like Grace very much, but that is one hell of a run of bad luck. 

It sounds like it was Grace's stepfather and the stepbrother's father. Do we know what happened to Grace's mom? If they really have been out of touch that long, how did Grace even have his number or know he still lived in his old house.

I would think the step brother would have heard about Ben and Cal coming back to life since 828 was major news.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I would think the step brother would have heard about Ben and Cal coming back to life since 828 was major news.

Whether he knew before or not, I don't know. But they had a scene of him watching a news report on tv and Grace came in and turned it off with some comment that would imply he definitely knows now.

Edited by redpencil
On 4/19/2021 at 8:30 PM, TVForever said:

I know we probably won't get anymore real followup to the dementia story, but Michaela should have just let the plan for the care home  go forward. Presumably, Glen carefully researched and planned for his wife if he died first. Reversing that may make Michaela feel good in the short term, but she has neither the expertise nor the time to care for someone with dementia. Yeah, she mentioned hiring someone, but on a cop's salary, how's that going to work?

And this may be bringing too much realism into this show, but someone help me out here: Michaela is not even this woman's legal guardian. Can she just negate all of the arrangements that Glen (the actual legal guardian) made on his wife's behalf?

I would have rather had the husband mention on the video that he already completed everything to legally have Michaela be the woman's guardian.  Instead, he talks about giving her the house.  A nice house in NYC would get a lot of $$$$ that could go towards putting the mother/wife in nice facility.  I thought it was even more fat fetched that they called one place (off screen) and an hour later, someone is there to pick the woman up.  

• Useful 2
14 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I would have rather had the husband mention on the video that he already completed everything to legally have Michaela be the woman's guardian.  Instead, he talks about giving her the house.  A nice house in NYC would get a lot of $$$$ that could go towards putting the mother/wife in nice facility.  I thought it was even more fat fetched that they called one place (off screen) and an hour later, someone is there to pick the woman up.  

On the video he said he made arrangements for her, so they only had to call one place because contracts were in place and the home was "waiting" for this. (However, having lived through dementia placements, a good facility probably wouldn't have actually had a room available at that very moment! Unless he's been paying for an empty room. But that's Real Life and this is Fiction.)

I would hope he didn't make Michaela her guardian without a conversation. That's a BFD.

Also, un-fun fact: My grandmother's private memory-ward room in a good but not fancy place cost almost $8K/mo. That stuff's expensive.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, snarktini said:

I would hope he didn't make Michaela her guardian without a conversation. That's a BFD.

You mean like Michaela making the last minute decision to keep Beverly at the house and her and Zeke will move in and take care of her without even bothering to take Zeke aside and ask him FIRST before blurting it out?  I find the father leaving Michaela the house completely unbelievable

23 hours ago, snarktini said:

Also, un-fun fact: My grandmother's private memory-ward room in a good but not fancy place cost almost $8K/mo. That stuff's expensive.

My dad's skilled nursing facility was almost that much per month.  But, when you think about it, it's room/board/meals and round the clock medical care 

• Love 3
On 4/28/2021 at 1:00 PM, juliet73 said:

Also, it all happened on the SAME DAY! So he died and she was all packed up and ready to go a couple of hours later. How can he have it all arranged when he didn't know when he would die? Was he paying for care so the room was waiting for her? What if he lived another 10 years? None of this show makes sense.

• Love 3
On 4/29/2021 at 12:54 PM, ctlady said:
On 4/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, snarktini said:

You mean like Michaela making the last minute decision to keep Beverly at the house and her and Zeke will move in and take care of her without even bothering to take Zeke aside and ask him FIRST before blurting it out?  I find the father leaving Michaela the house completely unbelievable

Evie's father (Beverly's husband) obviously had some time to plan this, because he left Michaela an "if you read this, I'm dead" video. So he could have and should have reached out to Michaela before he made this video to discuss the BFD of making her Beverly's guardian and what that involves, as well as his plan to give her the house (which apparently was sort of a thank-you gift, since he was not planning to have his wife continue to live there with M). Another reason that leaving M the house is unbelievable is that Evie's parents were so angry at M that they would not let her in the house after the funeral. Granted, M's visits did make Evie's mom happy once she had lost the memory of Evie's death, and obviously Evie's dad appreciated that M's visits made his wife happy. But that's still a long way from completely forgiving M for her part in their daughter's death, to the point that he would give her the house.

• Love 2