Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Man Of Honor

• Start Topic

Airing on April 11, 2021:

Harper and Nolan respond to a bank robbery in progress and realize the motives of the thief run much deeper than just needing money. Jackson and Chen’s first day riding without training officers isn’t what they thought it would be.

I loved Bradford's approach to being the Man of Honor - and loved his unequivocal support to Lopez.

Chen's mother was awful, and it seemed that most of her worry is what her friends would think.

West's support of Chen was very sweet too, as was Ben's interactions with Nolan.

A good show, though I was worried Nolan would get dinged for sticking his nose in.

• Love 3

I missed something... what was the explanation for why the bank robber's wife & kid were being held hostage and why he needed to rob a bank, and his wife needed to rob her employer?  Debt to loansharks, or what was it?

I don't need a happy ending to every story, but I don't think they needed to kill bank robber guy.  He could have just been seriously wounded.  Also, that whole scene played into the stereotype of the trigger happy wannabe cop inept security guard.  ugh. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I missed something... what was the explanation for why the bank robber's wife & kid were being held hostage and why he needed to rob a bank, and his wife needed to rob her employer?  Debt to loansharks, or what was it?

The family was living in a neighborhood that was beyond their means based on financials 
--perhaps trying to give their daughter opportunities they never had that come with being in the right school district? We don't know for sure. 
But what caused the kidnapping-for-bank-robbery was that the kidnappers were burglars disappointed that the family didn't have any money or valuables to steal
--perhaps the burglar-kidnappers were junkies who didn't think this plan through

15 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I don't need a happy ending to every story, but I don't think they needed to kill bank robber guy.  He could have just been seriously wounded.  Also, that whole scene played into the stereotype of the trigger happy wannabe cop inept security guard.  ugh.

Agreed.

I had issues with Tim relating to Lopez better than her fiancé ever did. 
No doubt Eric Winter would break all ratings records if he was on The Bachelor.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I had issues with Tim relating to Lopez better than her fiancé ever did. 

No doubt Eric Winter would break all ratings records if he was on The Bachelor.

I think Tim and Angela have much better chemistry than he does with Lucy.

And yeah, I'm not feeling the fiancé. They're OK, but they're also meh.

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I think Tim and Angela have much better chemistry than he does with Lucy.

And yeah, I'm not feeling the fiancé. They're OK, but they're also meh.

If the wedding arc ends up like this...

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 2

Lopez doesn't strike me as the type to be pushed around by her future MIL.  Though I did enjoy all the scenes of her and Bradford planning her wedding, so I'll just go with it.  And is it bad that I was more invested in that plotline than in the kidnapped family?

• Love 6

I've enjoyed the Bradford/ Lopez friendship since season one, and his support at the dress shop was adorable (and made sense), but everything after that was a hard no for me. I realize they wanted to give Eric Winters a storyline for the whole episode, and that Shawn Ashmore isn't a series regular, but cake tasting should be something you do with your fiancé, and standing up to his mother should definitely be the fiancé's job! 

That said, Tim is awesome.

• Love 8

Why did Jackson and Chen get all the credit for rescueing the little girl. When it was Nolans instinct that got the to the diamomd bank. And figured out what was going on. And his quick thinking with the girls Mom.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

but cake tasting should be something you do with your fiancé, and standing up to his mother should definitely be the fiancé's job! 

The fact that Lopéz seems to be doing so much of the planning on her own is kind of a red flag to me. But what do I know?

• Love 4

Mr Madding Crowd is a police officer and he laughed at the idea Chen and West would be able to find the exact place where the girl was being held. It’s unlikely that the blindfolded woman would even know much of anything as to where she was going, she would be in a state of shock.

I thought it strange that Lopez’s fiancée wasn’t involved in the cake tasting but Lopez doesn’t seem like someone who could be pushed around. When I got married none of my bridesmaids or future MIL offered me any help at all so I did almost everything on my own except the food stuff.

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

The fact that Lopéz seems to be doing so much of the planning on her own is kind of a red flag to me. But what do I know?

Wikipedia says:

n 2020, Ashmore recurred in the second season of the Prime Video superhero series The Boys as Lamplighter, a former member of the superhero group the Seven

Combined with the pandemic, I guess Wesley’s onscreen absence is probably just an artifact of real life logistics. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, Surrealist said:

I'm not sure how that's a red flag. I did all the planning for my wedding. We've now been married nearly 36 years.  But then again, to be fair, I didn't plan anything elaborate.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I'm not sure how that's a red flag. I did all the planning for my wedding. We've now been married nearly 36 years.  But then again, to be fair, I didn't plan anything elaborate.

I think it's because I see a wedding as a couple's day. So, for me, it's weird when one of the pair seems to sort of be sitting back and letting the other do everything.

YMMV.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Surrealist said:

I think it's because I see a wedding as a couple's day. So, for me, it's weird when one of the pair seems to sort of be sitting back and letting the other do everything.

YMMV.

That's fair. Weddings are much more elaborate than when I planned mine, requiring many more decisions. Of course, even then, ours was probably pretty low rent. We're not big spenders - so we were in tune in that regard.

• Love 2
On 4/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

Wikipedia says:

Combined with the pandemic, I guess Wesley’s onscreen absence is probably just an artifact of real life logistics. 

He's got a twin brother.  Not an excuse.  I miss Killjoys.  I also challenge some show somewhere to put both Ashmore brothers in the same show.  Just one episode is all I need.

On 4/12/2021 at 8:51 AM, Clanstarling said:

I loved Bradford's approach to being the Man of Honor - and loved his unequivocal support to Lopez.

What I really like was that he was thrown into a situation that we never see him in and it was completely recognizable that its how Bradford would handle it.  Says a lot of good things for the writing and acting for that character.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, ParadoxLost said:
On 4/12/2021 at 9:39 PM, shapeshifter said:

He's got a twin brother.  Not an excuse.

😄🤣

• Love 4
On 4/12/2021 at 8:51 AM, Clanstarling said:

Chen's mother was awful, and it seemed that most of her worry is what her friends would think.

She's just like my mother!  Her favorite dig was "what will people think?".

• Love 4
On 4/12/2021 at 8:05 AM, chaifan said:

Also, that whole scene played into the stereotype of the trigger happy wannabe cop inept security guard.  ugh. 

Did anyone not see that coming from miles away?

• Love 2

When Nolan was going to the bank to see what was going on he hid right by that same van.  Were they guys in the van at the time?  Didn't they see him?

Bradford is my favorite.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

He's got a twin brother.  Not an excuse. 

HA!  I came here to say his twin brother could take his place and be mean and evil and moustache twirly.  

• LOL 3

Regarding all the wedding decisions, I'm giving Wes a pass.  My husband and I were both super busy and had a low-key event.  We divided and conquered, for example he went to pick out the flowers with my mom.  We made all our own food and got married at home, so most of it was just some logistics of renting glassware, etc.  Once you are adults, realism sets in.  The marriage is important, not the wedding.  Lopez doesn't strike me as a 'dream day' kind of gal, but she is used to making her own decisions.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, jabRI said:

Regarding all the wedding decisions, I'm giving Wes a pass.  My husband and I were both super busy and had a low-key event.  We divided and conquered, for example he went to pick out the flowers with my mom. 

Groom and his MIL picking out flowers together sounds like a great scene for any fictional marriage to replicate!

• Love 4
12 hours ago, jabRI said:

Regarding all the wedding decisions, I'm giving Wes a pass.  My husband and I were both super busy and had a low-key event.  We divided and conquered, for example he went to pick out the flowers with my mom.  We made all our own food and got married at home, so most of it was just some logistics of renting glassware, etc.  Once you are adults, realism sets in.  The marriage is important, not the wedding.  Lopez doesn't strike me as a 'dream day' kind of gal, but she is used to making her own decisions.

For my second marriage (30+ years and running), we decided to get married by a judge and have a barbecue with our friends afterwards. Saved money, and very few decisions to make. Just our style.

My co-workers decided to buy me a bouquet because they couldn't imagine a wedding without flowers. I'm not sure why I took it, but it was pretty funny sitting there holding a bouquet amongst the drunk drivers and other miscreants waiting for court.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

My co-workers decided to buy me a bouquet because they couldn't imagine a wedding without flowers. I'm not sure why I took it, but it was pretty funny sitting there holding a bouquet amongst the drunk drivers and other miscreants waiting for court.

Which one was lucky enough to catch the bouquet? Softens the blow of $100 ticket....

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, paigow said:

Which one was lucky enough to catch the bouquet? Softens the blow of $100 ticket....

I think $100 ticket nowadays is a seatbelt ticket (including court costs), at least around here.

After all's said and done, drunk driving can be 5-10k

• Useful 1
On 4/12/2021 at 4:01 AM, paigow said:

Did the bank guard get arrested?

On 4/12/2021 at 10:05 AM, chaifan said:

Also, that whole scene played into the stereotype of the trigger happy wannabe cop inept security guard.  ugh.

Mr. Ctlady and I were both annoyed that they didn't address the security guard shooting and killing the victim after he put his gun down.  Perhaps if the guard was white they would be flying racist flags all over the place, but because both the guard and victim were POC, yeah - no crime here

On 4/14/2021 at 2:02 PM, dshgr said:

She's just like my mother!  Her favorite dig was "what will people think?".

I wanted to kick that woman right in the teeth.  "Oh, what if my friends ask what you do for a living and I'm too ashamed to answer them?"  EFF OFF lady!  You look those 'friends' right in the eye and say that your daughter is putting her life on the line every single effing day.  UGH!

On 4/12/2021 at 9:34 PM, Madding crowd said:

Mr Madding Crowd is a police officer and he laughed at the idea Chen and West would be able to find the exact place where the girl was being held. It’s unlikely that the blindfolded woman would even know much of anything as to where she was going, she would be in a state of shock.

The entire scenario played out too perfect and was wrapped up too neatly.  Just rolled my eyes and went with it.

Chen is still annoying and immature as ever.  The actress' valley-ish vocal fry gets on my nerves