Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Perks Of Not Being A Wallflower

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, rtms77 said:

I do feel bad for Jonathan as football was his thing, Jordan is really doing it just to get back at the others and impress Sarah. Jon is seriously heading for a blow out I think, just the way they are framing it it seems. He’s so gracious and kind and letting things pass him over I just feel something is going to happen.

I sincerely hope so, because at this point if anyone isn't human here it's Jonathan Kent. That poor kid is getting screwed over nine ways to Sunday, and he's fine with it? Yeah, no, it shouldn't be this way. He deserves to meltdown hard. His parents need to start paying a little attention to Jon for a damn change and stop expecting him to simply behave like he's Jonathan Kent Sr. putting everyone's needs above his own. He's not the parent, and it's time for the actual parents to give a damn.

I'm starting to worry that Jordan is the showrunner's insert and it's all going to be Jordan Jordan Jordan! with no focus on Jonathan who is quickly becoming overdue for some real attention by his parents, especially his father, and the school. Gotta be honest, don't like where this is headed with the kids so far. The first two episodes were okay, even though I didn't like that Clark didn't include Jonathan in the trip to the Fortress, but now I'm actively pissed. Let's just say unless or until something changes, I'm Team Jonathan.

Aside from that, looks like we got some new baddies - are they all working for Morgan Edge? Is Morgan Edge even human, do we really know? And I like that Lois's editor on that small local paper is not a complete idiot or pushover.

Don't really care about Sarah and her ex-BF who in the first two episodes never really came off like gf and bf anyway. And despite the fact that Lana's life sucks, I still can't warm up to her. I certainly hope we're not headed to a situation where she and Clark start getting closer. It honestly wouldn't make sense, I can't see how this iteration of Clark would even consider it. But this is a CW show, so that possibility is still there - also with the kids, and again, Team Jonathan here doesn't want to see poor Jon screwed over in that respect either. If he gets a gf eventually he deserves it to be someone better and who truly likes him for him, and not as Jordan's sloppy seconds.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, PAForrest said:

I'm starting to worry that Jordan is the showrunner's insert and it's all going to be Jordan Jordan Jordan! with no focus on Jonathan who is quickly becoming overdue for some real attention by his parents, especially his father, and the school. Gotta be honest, don't like where this is headed with the kids so far. The first two episodes were okay, even though I didn't like that Clark didn't include Jonathan in the trip to the Fortress, but now I'm actively pissed. Let's just say unless or until something changes, I'm Team Jonathan.

Agreed.  I don't care for Jordan at all.  It's not just the puffy face and the stupid hair or the fact that he whines all the time.  It's that I always hate when a show turns a character into the special snowflake character, and I see that happening with him.  I hated on "Agents of SHIELD" when Skye/Daisy was treated like the special snowflake in the early seasons.  Can't stand him.  He gets some bit of powers, but then whines and complains that his powers aren't good enough and that Gramps told him so.  Meanwhile, Jonathan so far hasn't gotten any powers we know of, and didn't even get the trip to "Elsa's Ice Palace".

It seems to me that Jonathan was always the more dominant twin, he was the popular athlete who everybody liked, while Jordan was the messed up loner who sat in his room and played video games.  Now it seems like things are changing because Jordan got powers, and I hope that Jonathan doesn't feel down because of that.  He shouldn't, it seems like he was portrayed as being happy with who he is, so I hope they don't try to introduce some jealousy storyline.  Regardless, I hope Jonathan gets some powers too.  I think he has to have some kind of enhanced strength or endurance, and maybe he will get to fly or have super breath.

• Love 3
On 3/9/2021 at 10:53 PM, Lantern7 said:

Are we ever going to find out about the guy with the arm in a sling? He's always next to Jonathan.

The day after Jordan discovered his "laser eyes" in the first episode, he asked Sarah if anyone had been hurt. She told him everyone was fine except for some guy who broke his arm. I got the impression he was one of her boyfriend's group.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, PAForrest said:

I‘m starting to worry that Jordan is the showrunner's insert and it's all going to be Jordan Jordan Jordan! with no focus on Jonathan who is quickly becoming overdue for some real attention by his parents, especially his father, and the school. Gotta be honest, don't like where this is headed with the kids so far. The first two episodes were okay, even though I didn't like that Clark didn't include Jonathan in the trip to the Fortress, but now I'm actively pissed. Let's just say unless or until something changes, I'm Team Jonathan.

12 hours ago, blackwing said:

Agreed.  I don't care for Jordan at all.  It's not just the puffy face and the stupid hair or the fact that he whines all the time.  It's that I always hate when a show turns a character into the special snowflake character, and I see that happening with him.  I hated on "Agents of SHIELD" when Skye/Daisy was treated like the special snowflake in the early seasons.  Can't stand him.  He gets some bit of powers, but then whines and complains that his powers aren't good enough and that Gramps told him so.  Meanwhile, Jonathan so far hasn't gotten any powers we know of, and didn't even get the trip to "Elsa's Ice Palace".

I don’t like author-insert characters because I think the writing suffers while the focus is pulled to that one character. The other characters say and do things the otherwise wouldn’t because certain things need to happen for the author-insert. It’s annoying, and sabotages a character that could have been fine on their own if they weren’t being treated as extra special.

• Love 1

My biggest takeaway is that either this Earth skipped a few decades like Stargirl's Earth is Johnathan is just really into 80s retro rad.   First the Gremlins feeding after midnight pull them Jorl El Debarge.  I legitimately cracked up at that one but how does El Debarge work his way into Jonathan's snark repitoire?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Maverick said:

My biggest takeaway is that either this Earth skipped a few decades like Stargirl's Earth is Johnathan is just really into 80s retro rad.   First the Gremlins feeding after midnight pull them Jorl El Debarge.  I legitimately cracked up at that one but how does El Debarge work his way into Jonathan's snark repitoire?

Don't get me started on the hinky way time seems to work on Stargirl's Earth.  It's simultaneously hilarious, and headache inducing. 

On 3/12/2021 at 5:44 AM, Quark said:

Enjoyable episode, although I can't stand Jordan.

I hope the writers realized this might happen and have a plan for how to make him bearable.

On 3/9/2021 at 10:44 PM, Primal Slayer said:

I continue to feel that it wasnt the best decision to not have Lana in on the Superman secret. There doesnt seem to be much for her to do apart from being the mom of the teen love interest. 

She also gets to be the wife of one of the show's antagonists.  Wheeeeee!

I mean unless that guy ever gets anything to do other than to be a jerk.

It seems unlikely that Jordan is a self insert unless the show runner is 16., or anyway, very young. Of course at first Jonathan was too good to be true and that is being averted. I do wonder if one of them is going to have a villain turn. 

if they are 14 they need to stop having unchaperoned parties at night. 

15 hours ago, Maverick said:

Agreed, I mentioned that above as well.  I don't think a 14 year old would know El Debarge unless he listens to the 80s channel every day, and even then, I think I hear "Rhythm of the Night" maybe once a year.  The only way it makes sense is if Clark and Lois are really into Debarge and make the kids listen to (or from the kids perspective, suffer through) Debarge on a regular basis.  Looking at Clark and Lois... I just don't see that happening.  Clark seems more like a Billy Joel type, and Lois seems like she could have been a Madonna fan.

I'd be curious to know how many viewers in their 20s understood the Debarge reference.  Seems more to me like something a writer in their 40s thought was really funny.  I admit it was funny, I just don't agree that a 14 year old would know it.

• Love 2
On 3/9/2021 at 11:40 PM, tennisgurl said:

I really like this plot with Lois vs. Edge, he has no idea who he is messing with. She didnt even looked phased at her car being blown up, she was just like "ugh again?" before going off to investigate.

It was also funny when Clark asked if she's going to bring his truck back and she responded "50/50"

I'm liking this so far. I wasn't sure if I would with all the family angst, but they are winning me over, especially with not going the usual route with things like Jonathan not getting angry about Jordan joining the football team

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DanaK said:

It was also funny when Clark asked if she's going to bring his truck back and she responded "50/50"

I'm liking this so far. I wasn't sure if I would with all the family angst, but they are winning me over, especially with not going the usual route with things like Jonathan not getting angry about Jordan joining the football team

The family dynamic is the best part of the show for me. The natural chemistry of the actors makes it very easy for me to believe that the Kents are a close-knit family that will always have one another's backs despite the occasional clashes and drama that are just a normal part of family life. And I almost got the feeling during the opening paint-fight scene of last week's episode that the actors weren't really doing all that much acting -- they genuinely seemed to be having fun doing such a goofy, silly scene!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4

New to the show via HBO Max and only caught up to this ep (though I would have probably already binged up to the current episode if I were not committed to watching the next two with family).

The actress playing Lana Lang Cushing reminds me a lot of Talia Balsam (Mona Sterling of Mad Men, among other roles) in both voice and looks.  I know that some comments upthread mentioned that it seems that her story is building towards making a pass at Clark eventually, and I agree, because based on her conversation with Sarah at the end, she sounds absolutely miserable in her life and definitely needs to get out from under her embittered husband (who is in dire need of professional mental health help himself), if nothing else.  Husband guy seems to hate Lana.  But I adore how rock solid Lois and Clark are portrayed in this show, and I would hope that Clark would accordingly gently shut Lana down without too much fuss.

Speaking of Lois and Clark, to say that  they are my OTP is an understatement.  I have watched plenty of “bad-to-mediocre” Superman media for just a few scenes of them (looking at you, Batman v. Superman), only because I can never, ever get enough of their dynamic.  I am super (ha!) enjoying seeing the “boring” married version of their relationship, with their little near-nightly wine parties and chats about improving Clark’s questionable parenting skills.

I’m not sure how I feel about Lois working at the Smallville Gazette.  I’ve enjoyed reading the thoughts of others on this topic.  I get that it is establishing an anchor for her in the town, and having an editor gives her someone to bounce ideas off of for TV show purposes as she does her investigation (as opposed to going independent), but it’s freakin’ Lois Lane, and I kind of want her playing ball in the big leagues, not the paper at which Clark Kent got his journalism start (at least in the 90s TV show, Lois & Clark).  But I also get that she’s at a different point in her life than we typically see her, so new focuses, new challenges, etc.  I kind of feel the same way about Clark and how he’s just doing farming now when journalism has traditionally been something he loved, too, or if not loved, something that he was talented at and that brought him closer to ways he could help as Superman.  I’m a little torn about Lois and Clark’s shrunken professional scope, is all I’m saying, but still feeling like what the writers are serving may be working.

I know the super powered villain dude at the end was the one who almost certainly set the car bomb/ lobbed the Molotov cocktail, but Lana’s husband being a firefighter (knowing about fires and such) and so very hostile to Lois, especially after the town council meeting, made me question him a little bit.  I guess I just really don’t like that guy!

• Love 4

I guess Supes doesn’t just stand for truth justice and the American Way – he covers China too (though I think he hasn't used that catchphrase in a while). I did wonder how Superman could possibly pick out a disaster in China over anything else, but at least they lampshaded that.

Bad guys gotta Bad guy… but it’s a bit quick to go straight to arson to discourage a journalist from pursuing a story. Though I loved Lois saying it was “50/50” if she’d bring Clark’s truck back.

So Edge is breeding/making supers? And did anyone else think (briefly) that Superman had just shattered that guy into bloody chunks? It would be a departure for Supes to kill anyone, though Clark killed a lot of Superfreaks on Smallville (well, they usually ended up causing their own demise while trying to kill Clark).

“Not to mention he’ll work for free”

“You should have started with that!”

Wouldn't a parent usually say they were looking to volunteer to help out (though I guess it fits with Clark's general unworldly attitude)?

On 3/10/2021 at 3:31 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Jonathan earned major points for supporting him.  I honestly wouldn't have blamed him if he didn't, but good for him.

I liked that they made him supportive rather than being jealous, but so far Jonathan is just a little too perfect. I hope they give him a few (minor) flaws soon.

On 3/10/2021 at 4:40 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Even when you handwave the notion that Lois Lane doesn't in the 21st century need and shouldn't want  to work at the Smallville Gazette, it still is problematic. To make the editor (whose name is escaping me) pull her weight as a character, they pretty much have to do one of a few choices

More realistically, she could point out that local papers live and die by selling advertising and Edge industries buys a lot of ad space. Lois will no doubt pursue the story anyway, but it would be a believable conflict (without making the editor either an idiot or an enemy).

On 3/11/2021 at 11:38 AM, arc said:

He didn’t seriously worry that the bad guy of the week who had clearly shrugged off some super punches might not be down for the count.

I thought that too. I did wonder why he didn’t simply throw one woman over either shoulder and super speed out of there. Lois took a few licks before Clark arrived so she might need checking out and it’s not as if people don’t know there is a Supes/Lois connection.

On 3/10/2021 at 4:55 AM, dwmarch said:

I'm not sure Superman could actually lift some of the things he has been shown to lift (because they'd split right in half)

Aberrant (Superhero RPG) actually has a possible answer:

“Experts on...powers speculate that a Mega-Strong [Super] unconsciously emits quantum energy to hold the object together while he lifts it.”

(they clearly knew who their audience was).

18 hours ago, John Potts said:

Aberrant (Superhero RPG) actually has a possible answer:

“Experts on...powers speculate that a Mega-Strong [Super] unconsciously emits quantum energy to hold the object together while he lifts it.”

(nerd alert:) This was also covered slightly in the 1986 comics reboot, where Superman felt it was easier to lift heavy objects while flying. I think in-universe scientists later suggested he extended some kind of psychic power (telekinesis or anti gravity) to stuff he was holding. This is also the canonical explanation for how Connor Kent (a partial clone of Superman) manifests super strength: various applications of "tactile telekinesis", meaning TK that only works on something Connor is physically touching.

Bonus: both Clark and Connor also power their invulnerability this way: a psychic force field, which has the neat effect of making any skintight clothing basically indestructible because it sits within their force fields. This also eliminates the conceit that Kryptonian fabric is itself invulnerable., or at least it is under a yellow sun. It also meant that his cape didn't sit inside his forcefield, and would often get shredded, because the writer-artist who made this change happened to like drawing ragged capes. They quietly ditched this later and went back to having functionally invulnerable capes because subsequent artists weren't as fond of drawing shredded capes.

18 hours ago, John Potts said:

I guess Supes doesn’t just stand for truth justice and the American Way

The comics officially changed that saying just last year.

On 8/3/2022 at 4:54 AM, arc said:

(nerd alert:) This was also covered slightly in the 1986 comics reboot, where Superman felt it was easier to lift heavy objects while flying. I think in-universe scientists later suggested he extended some kind of psychic power (telekinesis or anti gravity) to stuff he was holding. This is also the canonical explanation for how Connor Kent (a partial clone of Superman) manifests super strength: various applications of "tactile telekinesis", meaning TK that only works on something Connor is physically touching.

Bonus: both Clark and Connor also power their invulnerability this way: a psychic force field, which has the neat effect of making any skintight clothing basically indestructible because it sits within their force fields. This also eliminates the conceit that Kryptonian fabric is itself invulnerable., or at least it is under a yellow sun. It also meant that his cape didn't sit inside his forcefield, and would often get shredded, because the writer-artist who made this change happened to like drawing ragged capes. They quietly ditched this later and went back to having functionally invulnerable capes because subsequent artists weren't as fond of drawing shredded capes.

The comics officially changed that saying just last year.

I like the sentiment better.

I'm very late to the party and just watching season 1 now but I want to answer all the "How does Jon know El Debarge?"

El's been very visible the last few years. Look at the audience reaction (many young) to his appearance here:

Tiny Desk Concert:

From his wiki:

In 2020, DeBarge made an unexpected return to pop culture after RuPaul referenced his signature mullet on the television show RuPaul's Drag Race. Season 12 contestant Crystal Methyd appeared sporting an identical mullet, much to the enjoyment of RuPaul.

So if Jon is into Drag Race (or had friends who were), it all makes sense

• Useful 1

I just started watching this show.    Probably the best incarnation of Superman since George Reeves.    I was never a Christopher Reeve fan and Henry Cavill doesn't seem to know what to do with the role.   Also I have never liked Lois Lane, but this Lois seems okay (so far).

On 3/9/2021 at 10:31 PM, thuganomics85 said:

The opening act with Superman saving the bridge/day was just the type of hokey nostalgia I live for!  More of that Superman, please!

Maybe I overthink but I was wondering if Superman has any background in engineering.  How can he be sure that huge section of bridge won't just break in two as he's lifting it from the center?  How can he know exactly how much stress the different parts of the structure will support?   I did like the whole scene though, budget CGI be damned.