Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: First Days, Last Days

• Start Topic

On Nic's first day back at Chastain, the man who attacked her is admitted to the ER, causing her to confront her trauma head-on. Cain, now in recovery, is self-conscious of his physical state and sets his eye on taking down Mina. The new intern both struggles and shines throughout her first day, causing Devon and Conrad to wonder if something bigger is going on.

Airdate: 03/09/2021

So, this patient believes she has a disease as serious as Huntington's and never bothers to have a doctor confirm it?  Of course, this same patient apparently thought it was a good idea to marry a man who chose a red velvet dinner jacket for his wedding attire, so clearly her decision making is not the best. 

I thought for certain that the new resident was faking her medical credentials. 

Did Voss commit a major HIPPA violation by telling Cain about Rose's diagnosis?  I also have to wonder if Voss isn't skating on dangerously thin ice with the ADA by so quickly discounting Cain's chances of recovery and returning to the OR.  Now, clearly he cannot perform as a surgeon currently, but to shut him down at this point seems perilous legally.  Especially for someone who not long ago was "the face of Chastain."  If he still couldn't perform after his PT, she'd be safer cutting him loose then.  And Bell encouraging her to cut him loose when, not too long ago, he was facing medical issues of his own that were endangering his career as a surgeon seemed very hypocritical.  Of course, Cain's still an asshole.  So, my sympathy for him is very limited. 

Conrad and Billie were really infantilizing Nic.  She's an intelligent adult woman.  If she says she doesn't need someone holding her hand 24/7, listen to her. 

I can see how running an unlicensed clinic could endanger Mina's medical license.  But, would they really care about her romantic relationships?  I guess I might could see not getting involved in a patient (cough, Izzy/Denny, cough), but I fail to see anything wrong with her relationship with AJ.  Heck, if this happened on Grey's, the entire hospital would have to shut down.     

Edited by Bulldog
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

Yes, we'll see about Billie and new resident.  When a show gives a new character so much screen time in her first episode, it often means they plan to give her even more time and we are supposed to love her.  I prefer to reserve judgment.

Speaking of judgment, I hope Cain goes down hard but slowly so we can watch.

Patient who might have Huntington's: I would have preferred that Conrad explain that the test for Huntington's will take longer but they hope she has only Wilson's.  it is possible for a patient to have more than one condition.

Has there been an explanation of how Bell changed from shaky-HODAD to competent and beloved? Apparently the scripts needed that, but it doesn't seem realistic.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Well, at least Cain tried to call the dogs off of Mina, but too bad it was too late.  I wonder if he'll meet up again with the woman who has lupus and she'll make him change his ways and become a "better" man?  If Bell can do a 180, then so can Cain. 

I have to say, I never thought much of Morris Chestnut as an actor but he's doing a pretty good job as Cain

So is that Devon's child the princess was carrying?  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I can see how running an unlicensed clinic could endanger Mina's medical license.  But, would they really care about her romantic relationships?  I guess I might could see not getting involved in a patient (cough, Izzy/Denny, cough), but I fail to see anything wrong with her relationship with AJ.  Heck, if this happened on Grey's, the entire hospital would have to shut down.     

I don't know if the medical board would care, but there are ethical issues around both relationships. Doctors are not supposed to be involved with their patients or to treat people they have personal relationships with. I think Mina didn't really date him until after he was her patient, but it is a bad look. And AJ is technically her boss, right? So that kind of looks bad as well. One could argue that any kind of surgery he let her scrub in on was only done because they were sleeping together or that any performance reviews she got were biased. That is not true, but think of it from an outsiders perspective.

I feel like the board would have more important issues than who a doctor is sleeping with though, assuming no one has gotten hurt and none of the patients complained.

I'm curious how Cain knew about her and AJ though. They've been pretty discrete and he hasn't been around.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Driad said:

Has there been an explanation of how Bell changed from shaky-HODAD to competent and beloved? Apparently the scripts needed that, but it doesn't seem realistic.

I was literally thinking the same thing during that last scene - I mean, he had the shakes, and that’s at least part of what was causing him to make mistakes in the OR. Did I forget (heh - completely possible with the attention I give to this show) some storyline where it was determined to be physiological, like a Parkinson’s diagnosis where Conrad was able to magically determine that he actually had a lesser, treatable condition that has now all but disappeared? It just hits me at random times...

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Driad said:

Speaking of judgment, I hope Cain goes down hard but slowly so we can watch.

ITA.

Cain is one of the most despicable characters ever. I'm also not a big fan of Morris Chestnut either. It's a double hater for me.

• Love 1

I got the fear that Cain will find redemption through the story with the woman (Rose?) who was the dancer, and I really hope that's not the case. I thought that she would disappear after last episode, but if she's sticking around and sharing scenes with Cain, then I fear there's gonna be something there. Why else would Cain be sticking around, after all? His story was done the moment he got hit by that car. He can't be a surgeon anymore and I couldn't care less about his PT. 

Billie is a lot better in this episode. I really don't mind them bringing in new characters, especially since we've had disasters of other new characters before (not just Bell's stepson, who is rather bland, but also remember that intern from last season that Devon was forced to mentor?). The issue with Billie is more that her and Conrad infantilize Nic at every opportunity and speak as if she's not able to make decisions on her own, but that's also on Conrad. Clearly, Nic knows what she can and cannot handle and it's ok to be worried, but not ok to dictate her entire life.

And I liked the moment where Kit told Billie that she was willing to give her a second chance. It was as if she hadn't heard that before.

The new resident, Leela, seems interesting enough. I appreciate a hardworking resident who will make mistakes along the way, but hopefully not too many. Plus, her immediately connecting with Nurse Jessica was an awesome introduction for her.

As for Devon...hello, Princess Nadine and Prince Baby! I do wonder if it's his baby, but what a weird way to introduce the surprise if it's his baby. I'm not convinced yet that the baby is his, but why else would she want Devon to meet her child? Did she adopt? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

As for Devon...hello, Princess Nadine and Prince Baby! I do wonder if it's his baby, but what a weird way to introduce the surprise if it's his baby. I'm not convinced yet that the baby is his, but why else would she want Devon to meet her child? Did she adopt? 

More babies? I just HATE, HATE, HATE when babies are added to the mix of drama shows.

There are baby plots in The Resident (2), The Good Doctor, New Amsterdam, This Is Us, and there's likely more.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

I still don’t like Billie and she seems too young to be a neurosurgeon. I actually thought for a minute that she was behind Mina’s problems to try to get a job. And she seems too attached to Nik. I also think the hospital would have to offer Cain a job even if it was as a surgical consultant and as much as I dislike him, Voss acted rather unprofessional in dealing with him and in telling him another patient’s diagnosis.

• Love 4

The actress that plays Billie, Jessica Lucas, is 35 which is around the time that one finishes the neurosurgery program (I believe it’s 8 years). She was a fellow a few years ago right? I like that they toned her attitude down a bit.

I hope that baby isn’t Devon’s. The last thing this show needs is more baby drama. We already have pre-baby drama with Nik.

After Cain’s tantrums in PT I wanted Rose to say “Shouldn’t a top neurosurgeon have more patience than that?”

Enjoyed the AJ/Cain confrontation. My money’s on AJ. I really, really hope this whole thing isn’t a way of writing Mina off the show!

I kept expecting that there would turn out to be some medical reason the guy who stabbed Nic was being so combative. Withdrawal, maybe?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I got the fear that Cain will find redemption through the story with the woman (Rose?) who was the dancer, and I really hope that's not the case. I thought that she would disappear after last episode, but if she's sticking around and sharing scenes with Cain, then I fear there's gonna be something there. Why else would Cain be sticking around, after all? His story was done the moment he got hit by that car. He can't be a surgeon anymore and I couldn't care less about his PT. 

• Love 2
On March 10, 2021 at 10:10 AM, Lady Calypso said:

As for Devon...hello, Princess Nadine and Prince Baby! I do wonder if it's his baby, but what a weird way to introduce the surprise if it's his baby. I'm not convinced yet that the baby is his, but why else would she want Devon to meet her child? Did she adopt

Didn't she say when she called Devon that she was in town for her annual something or other, some kind of treatment?  So if she hasn't been there for a year, it's not his baby. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that's what she said. Or unless the baby is older than he seemed. Maybe the shocked look on his face is because he had hoped for a future with her. 

I'm interested to see how the show navigates a resident with dyslexia. They should have let her do her exams orally, the way many European medical schools run their exams.

Kit was harsh with Cain telling him that she didn't see a position for him at Chastain but it's fair.

On 3/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, Bulldog said:

So, this patient believes she has a disease as serious as Huntington's and never bothers to have a doctor confirm it? 

Did Voss commit a major HIPPA violation by telling Cain about Rose's diagnosis?

I can see how running an unlicensed clinic could endanger Mina's medical license.  But, would they really care about her romantic relationships?  I guess I might could see not getting involved in a patient (cough, Izzy/Denny, cough), but I fail to see anything wrong with her relationship with AJ. 

The patient watched her father die. She was afraid she had it, she was willing to accept that she did, but she thought that to hear a doctor confirm it would be too hard. I understand how she felt.

Yes, Voss should never have told Cain Rose's diagnosis if she wasn't expecting him to come back to work in her "circle of care" in the hospital.

A doctor having a relationship with a patient is a major violation and people have lost their licenses for it. Doctors are not allowed to have a relationship with a patient until two years after the professional relationship is terminated. This is for the protection of the patient and licensing boards take it very seriously.

AJ would be the one to be punished for sleeping with Mina since he was her supervisor although she may get a note in her file.

Mina telling the patient's family that Cain should not have done the surgery in the first place should also be considered as a major violation. She should have reported it to the hospital and the medical board, not gone to the family first.

All TV doctor break the regulations for the sake of drama. But I've never seen anyone break them as much as Mina does and expect the audience to be on her side.

• Useful 2
On 3/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, Bulldog said:

I thought for certain that the new resident was faking her medical credentials. 

AJ is in a position over Mina, just like how Mina was in a position of power over Micah.

On 3/10/2021 at 11:12 AM, Madding crowd said:

I still don’t like Billie and she seems too young to be a neurosurgeon. I actually thought for a minute that she was behind Mina’s problems to try to get a job. And she seems too attached to Nik. I also think the hospital would have to offer Cain a job even if it was as a surgical consultant and as much as I dislike him, Voss acted rather unprofessional in dealing with him and in telling him another patient’s diagnosis.

If the hospital had surgical consultants, they would most likely have to offer Cain a position as one.

However, I imagine Cain was heavily insured in the event that he could not do surgery again, so I imagine he is a multimillionaire in the event the PT doesn't work. I also imagine he has quite the hefty disability insurance that is covering the salary he received at Chastain when it was private, and not the current salary he receives as the Chief of Neurosurgery at Chastain the public hospital (Which is probably quite nice for the average person, but probably not nice looking to a jerk like Cain).

Yeah, Voss telling Cain her diagnosis was pretty horrible - maybe they had a cut line where she revealed her diagnosis to Cain, but they preferred Voss's scene instead.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 3/11/2021 at 12:34 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Enjoyed the AJ/Cain confrontation. My money’s on AJ. I really, really hope this whole thing isn’t a way of writing Mina off the show!

I agree. But I'm concerned because suddenly Billie is friends with Nic and Mina doesn't seem to be in Nic's vicinity.  NOT a Billie fan, but I really like Mina, especially when she's in arrogant/driven mode.  

• Love 3

So... can they reinstate a surgical internship if the reason for her leaving was that she was fired for killing a patient?

Also can Devon get off his high horse? Ugh he was so superior. I thought that he was still an intern. I’ve no idea what anyone’s rankings are.

On 3/13/2021 at 7:31 PM, statsgirl said:

I'm interested to see how the show navigates a resident with dyslexia. They should have let her do her exams orally, the way many European medical schools run their exams.

Although I was impressed with how hard she prepares, to compensate for dyslexia, wouldn't dyslexia be a potentially serious obstacle for a doctor? If she has trouble with reading comprehension, what happens in an emergency or high-pressure situation when she has to read a medical record or lab results?