Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E11: I Did Not Raise Him to be a Teenager

• Start Topic

This was a very enjoyable episode. I loved the tension all around and Olu and Tunde freaking out. Especially Tunde, heh. Him drinking all the wine cracked me up as well. 

I'm surprised Abishola is letting Dele go to Nigeria. I just hope nothing happens that prevents Dele from coming back. 

Also, Christina making Dele the grilled cheese sandwich was cute. And then weird, lol. 

• Love 14

I liked Kemi and Abishola's serious glance at each other before telling Gloria that her son sounds like a criminal 😄

Dottie's explanation about how you can raise your kids in a strict way but they will not want to talk to you was so true to life and demonstrated really well.

• Love 7

Am I alone in thinking Tayo was not going to take Dele to school, but kidnap him to Nigeria instead? I was relieved when he was at home later that day.

Good episode. I'm glad Abishola is letting Dele go. It's a good experience for him to have, but I also worry about him coming back.

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Am I alone in thinking Tayo was not going to take Dele to school, but kidnap him to Nigeria instead? I was relieved when he was at home later that day.

Good episode. I'm glad Abishola is letting Dele go. It's a good experience for him to have, but I also worry about him coming back.

You’re not alone.  I had the same thought.  

I loved Bob and Tunde dancing in the tag.

• Love 13

I really like Bob's growing relationship with Dele. He talks (and listens) to Dele, and will even stand up to Abishola to defend him, I like that. 

And, as always, Tunde had the best line of the night. When he was telling Bob about Abishola forbidding Dele to go to Nigeria, and Bob asked what Dele's opinion was, Tunde, "who cares!?" . Maybe a bit mean, but very funny 😂😁

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

Loved the episode. I too was thinking that Dele wasn't going to come home from school or come home from Nigeria but I am thinking since it's a comedy show they are not going to go there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Good episode. It was interesting to see Dele rebel a bit

I'm really not liking Tayo at all. He's got that arrogance about him of thinking he has all the power because he's the husband (except he basically deserted them). I hope Dele at least has a fun time meeting his extended family

• Love 5

I don't trust Tayo at all.  I hope Abishola gets Dele lojacked before he leaves for Nigeria so she can find him via satellite when Tayo doesn't send him back home. 

I loved the bus ride when Abishola gives Dele the video game then doesn't understand why he can't put it in the VCR to play.  Then doesn't understand why they have a VCR.

"I'm a corder!"  Aren't we all, Bob?  Aren't we all...

• LOL 2
  • Love 6

I genuinely love the "unfunny" jokes, like "corder".  This is my humor!

The exaggerated gasping at dinner, the tension felt by Olu and Tunde due to the tension between Dele and Abishola-- I liked that, because it made it funny instead of turning into a real pile on, with everyone taking part in the argument. Sometimes you just need a chorus of bystanders, not more people in the brawl.

I think Bob and Abishola balance each other well. He's kind of easy to steamroll, which would be a disaster in a parent. And she benefits from his willingness to bend.

I was 100% certain Tayo was going to take Dele and not return him, and that Dele knew he wasn't going to school. I was glad that didn't happen, but I still don't trust Tayo one bit.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Sometimes you just need a chorus of bystanders

I love this^ turn of phrase. 
Hmmm.
Maybe also: a Greek chorus of bystanders 😄
Why yes, I have been watching Jeopardy lately.

• Love 4
(edited)

I am glad I was not the only one who thought that Tayo was going to kidnap Dele to Nigeria instead of taking him to school, he looked so smug when he walked out the door with him. I was legitimately very nervous when they left and very relived when they showed him back in his room. I think that going to Nigeria will be good for Dele and I am glad that Abishola is letting him go, but I am still worried about Tayo not allowing him to come back to the states. 

Olu and Tunde as the Greek Chorus during dinner was hilarious, especially as they kept downing wine and Bob just looked baffled by what was all going on. That and Tunde and Bob dancing were my favorite parts of an already really good episode. Of course Bob will be a great dad, he already has the dad jokes all ready to go. 

Dottie actually gave some good advice, and Christina really will be a fun aunt, she really has that wacky aunt energy. Everyone is growing and changing which I love. "They haunt my dreams Abishola." 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 11

I dont think this is the kind of show that would go that "dark" with a kidnap plot line ya know what im saying? Like there is no comedy in a plot line like that ...like how do you make that funny?

Edited by Keywestclubkid
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

I dont think this is the kind of show that would go that "dark" with a kidnap plot line ya know what im saying? Like there is no comedy in a plot line like that ...like how do you make that funny?

I don't think what might happen is that Abisola will have to get Dele back in Nigeria because Tayo doesn't want him to return to the US and of course it would be the opportunity for Bob to meet her family over there.

• Useful 1

The only comedy I can think of would be if Abishola discovers she likes not having a kid to worry about, Tayo decides he totally doesn't want the responsibility, Dele has a great time in Nigeria and decides to go live with grandma. Or... something wacky like all that. I prefer that Dele comes back but if the show has decided they don't want to keep a kid around, sending him to NIgeria "to live with relatives" is one of the ways sitcoms handle that situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, possibilities said:

The only comedy I can think of would be if Abishola discovers she likes not having a kid to worry about, Tayo decides he totally doesn't want the responsibility, Dele has a great time in Nigeria and decides to go live with grandma. Or... something wacky like all that. I prefer that Dele comes back but if the show has decided they don't want to keep a kid around, sending him to NIgeria "to live with relatives" is one of the ways sitcoms handle that situation.

It appears Abishola has spent her life taking care of others (not just as a nurse), so I can't see her not wanting her son around. I don't think Tayo would not want the responsibility of Dele -- doesn't he have children with his second wife? I could see maybe the second wife doesn't want a reminder of the first wife.

I admit to being confused when Bob and Abishola started talking about having children. Bob is 50, isn't he? And Abishola I assumed to be in her late 30s (the actress is 37). I would have thought they were past having children.

I liked Kofo and Goodwin's reminiscences of their mothers in Nigeria, and I laughed when Kofo (I think) mentioned his mother throwing a shoe in his face from a passing car (also, that he looks good in a pencil skirt).

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I admit to being confused when Bob and Abishola started talking about having children. Bob is 50, isn't he? And Abishola I assumed to be in her late 30s (the actress is 37). I would have thought they were past having children.

That doesn’t seem unlikely at all to me, assuming that’s something they both want. I, my mother, and both grandmothers had babies in our late 30’s or even into 40’s. Not to mention a former actress who has been in the news a bit lately. Abishola has had a child so she knows what she’s getting into, and I could definitely see Bob wanting to be a dad. So I could see that as a potential storyline. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

That doesn’t seem unlikely at all to me, assuming that’s something they both want. I, my mother, and both grandmothers had babies in our late 30’s or even into 40’s. Not to mention a former actress who has been in the news a bit lately. Abishola has had a child so she knows what she’s getting into, and I could definitely see Bob wanting to be a dad. So I could see that as a potential storyline. 

What bothered me is that he was the one to mention it first, and it didn't seem as though they had discussed it beforehand.  It felt vaguely like he was assuming she would want to have another child, or like he had the expectation of it without first checking with her about it.

• Love 1

The having children comment in this episode goes to show you that this couple should not be engaged yet. This is a topic that should have been brought up BEFORE one gets engaged. Why the writers rushed an engagement on this couple is beyond me. I'll say it again, they don't know each other.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, floridamom said:

The having children comment in this episode goes to show you that this couple should not be engaged yet. This is a topic that should have been brought up BEFORE one gets engaged. Why the writers rushed an engagement on this couple is beyond me. I'll say it again, they don't know each other.

po TA to.   po tah to.
Chuck Lorre sitcom.    Real life.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2