Type keyword(s) to search

Design Star: Next Gen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Design Star: Next Gen, the new high-stakes, edge-of-your-seat competition series inspired by HGTV Design Star, is ready for air and, with $50,000 cash and a shot at their own show on the line, one breakout renovation and design expert’s life is about to go supernova.

Series premiered Thursday, February 24, with new episodes being released on Discovery+.

• Love 1

I'm in! But is there some reason that I don't know about why Alison Holker (and her new face) is the host of an interior design show?! 

I liked the older guy's room the most. and also the Asian girl, and the guy who was like the lumberjack or whatever. Thought it was a bit harsh to make them go try their doorknobs instead of just announcing who was out. What does that serve except for a stupid moment of TV humiliation. 

• Love 5
On 2/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, TVbitch said:

But is there some reason that I don't know about why Alison Holker (and her new face) is the host of an interior design show?! 

I don't know this for a fact, but my best guess is that Ellen has something to do with production...and if I'm right, Alison & Twitch are her good friends. All I can say is better Alison than Ellen (can't stand!), who would make it impossible for me to watch.

Edited by MsTree
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 2/27/2021 at 4:54 PM, TVbitch said:

is there some reason that I don't know about why Alison Holker (and her new face) is the host of an interior design show

To be fair, most of the time when I see a competitive tv show with a host, they have no real qualifications. Hell, most of the time the judges on reality shows aren't exactly what I would call qualified either. I mean, why was Brian Austin Green, best known for playing David Silver on 90210, qualified in any way to be a judge on The Masked Dancer?

Ryan Seacrest's experience prior to hosting American Idol was being a radio DJ and hosting shows like ESPN's Radical Outdoor Challenge and three kids' shows (the kiddie version of American Gladiators, something called Wild Animal Games where his co-host was a chimpanzee, and an internet themed game show called Click). McKenzie Westmore who was known for being a main character on Passions was the host of Face Off because her dad was one of the judges. Sure, Katie Lee had worked in restaurants and had a food blog before hosting Top Chef, but realistically she was probably hired because she was Billy Joel's much younger wife, not because she was specifically qualified to read cue cards describing the challenges or saying, "Time's up! Utensils down!" Honestly, I don't think anything ever really qualifies someone for being the host on a reality show. As long as you can read from the teleprompter and look relatively friendly, you'll probably do fine.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I was dithering about subscribing to Discovery+ on principle but, when I saw that this show was back, I had to do it.  I was hoping for Vern Yip but I guess I can't have everything.  So far the only designer I actively disliked was the one who got eliminated so I'm looking forward to the next episode.  

I'm always amazed that the designers can think up and then execute such dramatic changes from what they started with.  I'm sure they have a lot more help than we see but still..............................

• Love 2
22 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

To be fair, most of the time when I see a competitive tv show with a host, they have no real qualifications. Hell, most of the time the judges on reality shows aren't exactly what I would call qualified either. I mean, why was Brian Austin Green, best known for playing David Silver on 90210, qualified in any way to be a judge on The Masked Dancer?

Ryan Seacrest's experience prior to hosting American Idol was being a radio DJ and hosting shows like ESPN's Radical Outdoor Challenge and three kids' shows (the kiddie version of American Gladiators, something called Wild Animal Games where his co-host was a chimpanzee, and an internet themed game show called Click). McKenzie Westmore who was known for being a main character on Passions was the host of Face Off because her dad was one of the judges. Sure, Katie Lee had worked in restaurants and had a food blog before hosting Top Chef, but realistically she was probably hired because she was Billy Joel's much younger wife, not because she was specifically qualified to read cue cards describing the challenges or saying, "Time's up! Utensils down!" Honestly, I don't think anything ever really qualifies someone for being the host on a reality show. As long as you can read from the teleprompter and look relatively friendly, you'll probably do fine.

While that might be true, many folks believe it DOES make a difference. Example: Tom Bergeron (until the idiots at ABC decided Tyra was going to replace him) was always the host of DWTS. He has/had extensive experience in hosting TV shows, and outlasted several female co-hosts until they finally settled on Erin Andrews. And even though some of the canned hostesses had experience, it was more about presentation and chemistry. IOW, where's Katie Lee now? (seriously because I don't watch TC).

Sure, any "celebrity" (and I use that word loosely) can try hosting, but it takes more than just reading lines off a cue card. There's got to be a bit more charisma and appeal to the audience watching...and to keep them watching. Ryan Seacrest had it, and so did Dick Clark (among few others).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MsTree said:

While that might be true, many folks believe it DOES make a difference. Example: Tom Bergeron (until the idiots at ABC decided Tyra was going to replace him) was always the host of DWTS. He has/had extensive experience in hosting TV shows, and outlasted several female co-hosts until they finally settled on Erin Andrews. And even though some of the canned hostesses had experience, it was more about presentation and chemistry. IOW, where's Katie Lee now? (seriously because I don't watch TC).

Sure, any "celebrity" (and I use that word loosely) can try hosting, but it takes more than just reading lines off a cue card. There's got to be a bit more charisma and appeal to the audience watching...and to keep them watching. Ryan Seacrest had it, and so did Dick Clark (among few others).

But that's kind of my point. No one is really "qualified" to be a host. Regardless of what you've done beforehand, either you're good at it or you aren't. It doesn't matter whether you're already well known or if you're a no-name that people have never heard of. Some people have the right personality to interact with contestants sympathetically, keep the show on track when they're running behind/need to fill some time, and read announcements without sounding like robots. Lots of people don't though.

I don't think Allison Holker is a better or worse pick than anyone else they could have come up with. She's known in the dance world, but I don't think her presence is going to provide a huge spike in ratings for a design show. And going with a more famous host doesn't always work. Tyra is really well known but she sucks as the new DWTS host. Having name recognition doesn't automatically equal being good at it or improving the viewership of the show.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, needschocolate said:

To anyone watching this show on  Discovery+  .... Is it worth adding yet another streaming network to my monthly credit card bill?

AFAIC Discovery+ is a better deal than Netflix because it has FN and HGTV shows I watch and is cheaper.  I plan to cancel Netflix so I'll save a few dollars.  YMMV.

I always liked this show and I'm enjoying this new one.  Once again, they sent the right person home IMO and I'm looking forward to next week.  I'm not going into any specifics because, so far, I seem to be the only person watching it.  🙂

• Love 3

The whole lead-up to the launch of Discovery+, I kept wondering who would want to subscribe to it at all.  Then my mom got it (to watch Naked and Afraid) and I love it.  I'm watching this show, and am working my way through the original series.  I'm right at the end of season 4.

I like the new show, but it seems like they won't ever design people's actual homes due to COVID which I'll miss.  Also, will we never get a kitchen challenge where a team fails horribly?

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mlp said:

AFAIC Discovery+ is a better deal than Netflix because it has FN and HGTV shows I watch and is cheaper.  I plan to cancel Netflix so I'll save a few dollars.  YMMV.

I always liked this show and I'm enjoying this new one.  Once again, they sent the right person home IMO and I'm looking forward to next week.  I'm not going into any specifics because, so far, I seem to be the only person watching it.  🙂

Thanks, I am leaning towards giving it a try.  

2 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

So did they just show the first ep on HGTV as well as Disovery +, and now all the other eps will only be on Discovery +? Will they ever air the rest on HGTV?

That's how I understand it.  I know other shows are doing the same thing to get people interested enough to sign up.  I have no idea if they will ever show up on HGTV.  My guess is they will not or, if they do, it will be a long time from now.  

• Love 1

I thought the guy with the ugly black monolith in the middle of the room should have gone, cuz that whole room was pretty clunky and unusable. I mean, the big "transitional" dart board was right in the middle of the desk space. Who is going to throw darts at that when they can easily hit the desk, the crap you have on your desk, or the wall! It was also too low for a dart board. Having said that, the dance floor and the 3 foot runway were absurd as well. Also, hated the storage pop ups in the middle of your table with ice and stuff in them. Who is going to be stashing all those goodies in there, just in case? I'm guessing those nooks would never get used. 

Wow lumberjack guy went from "I am into nature and natural materials" to "I am into geometric shapes!" But I'm glad he pulled it off. Guess I will root for him and the older guy. ....for now.  : D 

Okay,  I am admittedly an old school gal, and have shunned the social medias, but good lord with those Tik Tok videos! WTF?! Are you suppose to be able to glean any useful information from them? Cuz all I got was flash flash flash the end. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I've never even looked at Tik Tok (thought it was something for teenagers) so I didn't get those videos either.  Were the judges seriously implying that someone could actually learn something from them?  They all seemed like a waste of time to me.

I agree with the observations above.  The storage area with ice in it was really reaching for a use although I could see a table like that being good for kids who could stash crayons and stuff in it.

• Love 2

I really thought the bus should have won. The guest judge didn't like the pillars. I think they worked well as separators for the different spaces, however the white was too garish. A light tone of one of the neutral colors already in play would have been better. But the bus in whole was still better than the train car, in my estimation. The judges seemed so blown away by the bar in the train car that they gave them the win, but I did not find it the that freaking spectacular, and the "kitchenette" was basically a tiny microwave in a closet. And their main seating was plywood. Ouch!

I wish they would have started out with more designers. They are already down to 5 on episode 3. They must only be having 6 episodes.  Interior Design Masters is ending too. : (

I've never heard of the guest judge. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

I really thought the bus should have won. The guest judge didn't like the pillars. I think they worked well as separators for the different spaces, however the white was too garish. A light tone of one of the neutral colors already in play would have been better. But the bus in whole was still better than the train car, in my estimation. The judges seemed so blown away by the bar in the train car that they gave them the win, but I did not find it the that freaking spectacular, and the "kitchenette" was basically a tiny microwave in a closet. And their main seating was plywood. Ouch!

That's exactly what I thought.  The bar didn't impress me at all.  The overall look from the entrance was much better in the bus although toning down the pillars would have been better.  I like Chris.

I can't say I was sorry to see the drag queen leave.  He seemed to be more interested in selling his alter ego than his design proficiency.  As one of the judges said, he should have asked the crew for help with those curtains rather than, well, anything he did himself.  

• Love 3

Preferred the bus over the train. The airplane looked like an airplane. They basically just painted it black and brought in some furniture. The only thing I liked were the pops of yellow and the secret room, though I understand why Tony left.

The bar they were going nuts over looked like a big bunch of bamboo glued together. It was okay but I didn't get the excitement. 

• Love 4

I think the plane was the least successful in transforming the space. As one of the judges pointed out, it looked like a private jet. I guess someone could see that as a compliment since the assumption is that a private jet = luxury, but for me the issue is that it looked like exactly what it was (a repurposed plane).

The other two teams were much more successful and making you forget that you were inside something that wasn't intended to be a house.

I know Karim is an expert and all, but I didn't think the two lamps near the bed destroyed the mural. I liked that they included some lighting because I'm a practical person (I know this wasn't a practical challenge since there weren't bathrooms in any of these spaces but still).

I felt bad for Tony because he tried a few different methods for putting up the curtains. Drilling through fiberglass is really difficult. You can end up cracking the fiberglass and the holes won't be perfectly round (which means you then have to try to hide them for a competition like this). I honestly don't know what the solution should have been. I just know that trying to mount curtains to a material that you probably shouldn't drill through was a HUGE challenge.

It's nice that Carmeon associates plants with her mother, but the judges are correct that she shouldn't plop them down all over a place just because they mean something to her. To put it another way, if I said that I had an emotional attachment to gumball machines, that doesn't mean I should put ten gumball machines in every space I decorate. Your emotional association with something like that doesn't make it appropriate for every space you design.

I didn't get why the judges loved that bamboo looking bar. I thought extending that painted PVC theme above the bar was a waste of space. They could have used that for storage which is in short supply when you're in a small space like that.

On a shallow note, I like that Allison is allowed to dress casually. It annoys me when I see the female host of a show dressed in a skintight bandage dress with 4" heels while the male judges are wearing untucked shirts and jeans with sneakers.

• Love 3
On 3/3/2021 at 4:40 PM, needschocolate said:

To anyone watching this show on  Discovery+  .... Is it worth adding yet another streaming network to my monthly credit card bill?

For $5 bucks it's okay. But, so far from what I've seen there's not anything here you can't get from regular cable. But there are fewer commercials. I love HGTV so it's worth having some of my favorite shows on demand. 

• Love 1

I knew as soon as Arianna started talking with her family that she was going.  If you watch enough of these types of shows you can see how they telegraph who's going from the beginning.  Well she did deserve to go as her indoor space was very underwhelming.  I did like her outdoor space but I can't imagine sitting in a bathtub out in my backyard.

I did like Chris's space best.  I'm glad Justin didn't go.

I'm also glad Eli didn't win again..he's getting way too cocky.

What happened with them doing little videos and such?  They gave up on it?

• Love 1

I'm sort of rooting for Chris, but I know that he won't win due to the whole social-media-can-you-be-a-host thing.  He needs to spend his time at home practicing his presentation skills on his phone.  I thought that the judges were pretty brutal with Eli, and I had the opposite opinion of his space.  Really liked the inside and thought that the overhead lamp thing was kind of cool.  His outdoor space though...   Not sure what possessed him to do that shape.  If he had done something like a Japanese tea room (greatly simplified), it may have gone over better.  Trying to imagine the judges' reaction if he had kept the yellow... I never really had a feel for Arriana's style.  Hard to guess the winner.  Eli is weak on accessorizing his space, Carmeon is really good and camera friendly, but goes overboard on the whole plants thing.  Chris has no social media skills.  Justin is better at decorating than the design.  If I had the money to hire someone for my own home, it would be Chris.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

I'm sort of rooting for Chris, but I know that he won't win due to the whole social-media-can-you-be-a-host thing.  He needs to spend his time at home practicing his presentation skills on his phone.  

I am rooting for Chris too. He work is incredible. I love the sound of his voice. I love his clothing choices. I love the stories he comes up with for his 'clients'. I agree with you about his social media skills but I wonder if that is something they can help him with. Nobody else stands up to him. However, did you notice how the camera lingered on a beefcake shot of Eli? Maybe that is the one we are supposed to fall in love with.

• Love 2

Chris is my favorite too but I loved Justin's space this week.  If I'd had to choose one for myself to use, I would have chosen the office.  Carmeon's wasn't bad, just boring.  The right two were in the bottom and the right one went home.  Eli is a bit of a PIA but I don't hate him.  I haven't liked anything Arianna has done.  Well, I did like the flowers under glass but her whole effect was pretty bad IMO.

• Love 1

Yes, her space was very meh and lacked impact. Now that the weakest designers have been weeded out, things are going to get hard. One nice thing about this show is that there’s no producer shenanigans to produce “drama”. So, though I’m rooting for Chris, I don’t dislike the other 3.

• Love 2

I am rooting for Chris too. I know he is clumsy with the social media, but I actually find that real and charming and am put off by overly slick and manufactured personalities. I think he is more talented than the rest of them, and hopefully that will win out. 

All I could think when I saw Eli's light with the plants on top of it is who in the world is going to get out a step ladder take all those plants down, water them, wait for them to sufficiently dry and them put them all back up there ....every week! You could put coasters underneath them, but getting up there to water them if place would be quite a feat, and any spillage would ruin the wood!

• Love 1

During lockdown, I became obsessed with design shows from South Africa and the UK. I'm not sure why I never watched the HGTV original, but I did catch season 6 on youtube. I thought it was fun, so I decided to get the free trial to Discovery+ to watch the new series. I don't like it as much as the UK's Interior Design Masters, but it is nice to see people showcase their talent.  So far I've only watched the first two episodes, and but I don't like the things that are clearly done to make "good TV", and not because they actually make sense. Having the loser try to get back into their space is just so mean spirited, and a turn off. One of the reasons why I got into these types of shows is because they tend to be comforting. I do think that they sent the right people home, and I like that they are stressing the importance of social media for creators, even if I hate that aspect.

• Love 2

I was able to catch up. I agree that the bus was probably looked the best, but I can understand rewarding the team that had to do more than just decorate. That caboose was scary, so I'm inspired by the choices that were made. It took a lot of work to create those custom areas. Designers who bring in custom built pieces are probably rewarded more in the real world too in comparison to those who are mainly good decorators. I'm not sure why Tony was obsessed with those horrible curtains. They didn't add anything, and should have been left out.

It's odd that they have not had any challenges over the past few weeks. They should go back to the on camera challenges that they had during season six, since the purpose is to find someone who can host their own show.

I understand the social media challenges. They seem fake, but most creators will admit that building an customer base through social media is a must today.

Edited by BellaR
  • Love 1

I thought Chris was smart for choosing the I Love Lucy kitchen because it's easier to sell a vintage look that's older than a dated look that's more recent. I ended up not liking what he made because, as Jonathan Adler pointed out, it was a crazy mish mash. Justin called it when he said Chris was pulling the judges' heartstrings with the story about his grandmother and how she inspired some of his design choices. I, on the other hand, HATE that. As I said about a previous episode, I don't care how much of an emotional connection you have with XYZ. Just make the room look nice.

When Carmeon said she was going to create a galley kitchen, I thought OMG WHY? You have this huge space and you're going to do the required part of the assignment by squeezing it into this little corner of your space? And as if that wasn't bad enough, she didn't fill the rest of the space well. I'm not saying everything should feel crowded but you could have done cartwheels from the galley kitchen to the front door. She seems fine during her talking head interviews so it seemed odd that she was so stiff and flustered while filming her little segment.

Eli totally annoyed me when he said that you can just wing it when you create social media content with your phone but that it's totally different when there's an actual camera. No, Eli, that's not true and unfortunately that's the problem with a lot of online content. Just because you're using your phone doesn't mean that you get to babble on with no pre-written script. Regardless of how big or small the camera is, you should always be prepared, concise, and professional. I thought he was a little bit too casual during his taped segment and that he needed to look at the camera more. He gets dinged for his terrible accessorizing every time and he has not improved. How could he just put plants in their original plastic pots on the table?

On the other hand, I was a little worried about Justin spending so much time preparing for his filmed segment because I was afraid he was taking too much time away from working on his actual design. I thought he was trying too hard to be jovial in his video, but I liked that he explained his three nods to the Sister, Sister kitchen. In this finished design, I liked his three required nods to the original the best of all four kitchens because they were concrete, recognizable things but they didn't seem dated or tacky.

• Love 3

I thought that Chris’ design was a real mish  mash but didn’t hate it. Was sorry to see Justin go. He made beautiful rooms but they were usually a little soulless. I don’t think that I’ve ever seen a reality competition where the same two people are the only winners throughout the season. It would be ironic if Carmeon wins in the last episode.

• Love 1

I thought Carmeon was going for sure so I was flabbergasted when they chose Justin.  Her kitchen area was OK except for the live plants just stuck in the bundt cake tins.  That made no sense and the judges said nothing about it.  The rest of her room was not good.  She had unused space and two tables within a few feet of each other.  Why?  She seems very nice but I find it a bit hard to take her seriously when she keeps showing up to do manual labor with long, long fingernails and lots of rings on her hands.  Also, it always annoys me when I hear a designer talk about putting themselves into their design.  I guess it's OK for this show because they're not designing for a client but, if I were to hire a designer/decorator, I wouldn't be at all interested in touches personal to them when they're going to leave and probably never see the space again.  

I liked Justin and hated to see him go.  

Still rooting for Chris.

• Love 3

It's weird, but it feels like all of the contestants are more focused on winning this reality show than actually getting to host their own show on HGTV. That's funny, because I think that they all did a  good job on the final takes for the challenge. 

I would have sent Carmeron home. The galley looked great, but she should have done more in that empty space. There are a lot of things that she could have done to dress that up. The bundt pans were a great idea, but I would  have used them as light fixtures. Her art installation looked lazy.   I was presently surprised at how well Chris did in the challenge. He is miles ahead of everyone else. I didn't like any of the colors that he picked for his kitchen, but they all worked well together. I would never pick any of those colors or patterns for my own kitchen, but I did get the soul feeling that the judges felt.

Edited by BellaR
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

She seems fine during her talking head interviews so it seemed odd that she was so stiff and flustered while filming her little segment.

The odd thing about that is she supposedly has a big following for her social media videos. As she said, it's not the same, but I wonder what is the biggest difference? Not having control of the camera? I would have trouble doing either one.

Edited by BellaR

I hated to see Justin go and can't believe Carmeon is still there.  I thought her space was not well done and quite honestly I didn't think she came across very well on camera.  Girl, why are you wearing a huge camo jacket and sweating?  I also didn't like that arched thing in Eli's space.  And Chris's kitchen was just ugly.  Who would want to work in there?  I like Chris (although I think he is a little affected with his old South mannerisms and his weird clothes - what is up with that long robe thing he wears), but he is kind of funny.

• Love 2

It should be Chris versus Eli in the finale, but I am a bit concerned they might push Carmeon forward cuz they have already determined they want her to win. If she has the biggest social media following, they might figure that is a guaranteed audience for the new show. 

If this gets a second season, they really need to jettison the "my door won't open" offing. Who thought it would great TV to watch people being humiliated like that?!  

• Love 3
2 hours ago, TVbitch said:

If this gets a second season, they really need to jettison the "my door won't open" offing. Who thought it would great TV to watch people being humiliated like that?!  

I agree. I hate it. Just announce who's been cut instead of making them walk back to see if their stupid door opens.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, TVbitch said:

That’s how Hell’s Kitchen does it for the finale, too. It’s painful to watch. 

• Love 2

The winning design reminded me of the “theme rooms” that were popular 20-25 years ago (before they fell into disfavor as too literal, unsophisticated, and matchy-matchy).   I, myself, once had a “ballet room” for the girls. Plus a “travel” theme for my husband’s office—complete with paintings of ships, map pillows and matching valance, wallpaper sporting a map with sailboats, and an embroidered-compass wall hanging.  Antique navigation tools and naval coffee table books styled carefully throughout finished it off.  My husband is a Navy vet, so it was awesome at the time and got a lot of compliments before we moved on to a not-so-literal esthetic about ten years ago.  

Now, according to Design Star, I guess everything old is really new again.  The theme room is back!  Unfortunately, the winning design was so monochromatic and one-note, as a whole, that my eye really couldn’t distinguish anything.  

The less said about the runner-up, the better.  The overall vibe was Golden Girls meets a powder blue 50’s diner.  I kept staring at the back wall trying to figure out what I was seeing and how it fit with the rest of the space. Was that wallpaper? I think I saw an abstract girl’s facial profile next to colorful globs of paint.  I came away with a big “Huh?”  

Can you tell I was completely underwhelmed by the finale?  But congratulations I guess. At least the rooms weren’t grey and white. 🤷🏽‍♀️

• Love 4

I just finished the first part, and had to comment. I'm shocked by Chris's elimination. All three rooms were good, but Chris's was definitely the best. My first thought on seeing the rooms is that Carmeon and Eli had two days to do their designs, while Chris had two weeks. I disagreed that he did too much, he did the right amount to make it look like a finished room. 

I did like Carmeon's decision to do a room divider, even though it was a small space.  She needed a dash of color. I didn't understand Eli's room. The sofa was wrong, as were the green slabs on the wall.  I did love his mirror and headboard. 

• Love 4

Both of the final two designs were amazing, and I would have hired both Eli and Carmeon. Those designs showed everything that was missing in the previous challenge. I loved Eli's loft, and for the first time, everything in Carmeon's space worked. I also loved her story. It is so odd that she gets so nervous on camera, but aside from being monotone, in order to hide her nervousness, she really sold me on her space.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, LoveIsJoy said:

The winning design reminded me of the “theme rooms” that were popular 20-25 years ago (before they fell into disfavor as too literal, unsophisticated, and matchy-matchy).   I, myself, once had a “ballet room” for the girls. Plus a “travel” theme for my husband’s office—complete with paintings of ships, map pillows and matching valance, wallpaper sporting a map with sailboats, and an embroidered-compass wall hanging.  Antique navigation tools and naval coffee table books styled carefully throughout finished it off.  My husband is a Navy vet, so it was awesome at the time and got a lot of compliments before we moved on to a not-so-literal esthetic about ten years ago.  

I have to disagree, mainly because my first thought on seeing the room is that while there was a lot of art, it was also an incredibly livable space. I have seen rooms that are themed, and I wouldn't want to stay in them too long, but with that space I could see myself feeling more relaxed, and to be repetitive, just doing every day things in the room with my family. I think that one of the judges touched on this, the designer was able to show people that they can add these artistic touches, but still create what his a regular homey space.

I will admit that while I liked Eli's design, I didn't like his color choices.

• Love 2

I thought the whole finale was just crap.  Chris has been the best all along and his room was clearly better than Eli's.  IMO Carmeon was the preferred winner so they eliminated Chris because Eli, based upon previous efforts, wasn't apt to beat her and Chris probably would have.  Carmeon's final room was easily the better of the two.

I signed up for Discovery+ and I've been binge watching the original Design Star.  I'm through season 4 and have a mad crush on 2008 vintage Clive Pearse. 🙂   I've always wanted to see David Bromstad's season so I really enjoyed it.  Overall, I much prefer the original format.

• Love 6
(edited)

I was shocked that Chris was eliminated. I just assumed he was going to be in the finale and probably win the whole thing unless Eli pulled off something REALLY amazing.

The judges have been pretty consistent about loving Eli's design and then criticizing his accessorizing skills so I thought he had this in the bag once it was down to him and Carmeon (which is not a knock on Carmeon but the judges have not been nearly as enthusiastic about her designs as they have been about Eli's).

I'm not a fan of the Property Bros, but I appreciate that he gave some useful feedback when they were filming their reveal videos.

What amused me the most about the final two designs was that Eli made such a huge deal about building the loft and then we did not see a single judge climb up that ladder to peek inside. From what we were shown of it, the loft area was very sparsely furnished/decorated so he should have been dinged for that. I also had to laugh when he said that he hated living in New York because it didn't live up to what he thought it would be so he created a fantasy version of what he wanted Brooklyn to be. I've never lived in New York but even I know to expect a one room shoebox in a fourth floor walk up is what I could realistically afford in my 20s.

Carmeon was smart to break up the space into different areas, especially with the raised platform. My least favorite thing were the two chairs side by side against the wall. When I think about every home I have personally lived in as well as every home I've ever visited, having two chairs set up like that is never practical. When would two people ever sit in two chairs side by side and stare at the wall in front of them? That's what you have in a waiting room, not a home where you want people to interact.

What I will miss the most about this show are the spectacular ocean views in the long shots. I really want to know how they managed to get such a gorgeous location!

If anyone from HGTV is reading this, I want to reiterate how much I appreciate having Allison in more casual clothes throughout the season (especially when it was raining). I'm glad we have a show that finally realized the female host doesn't need to be squeezed into form fitting bandage dresses and stiletto heels just to read cue cards about this week's challenge. She still looked cute in jeans!

• Love 6

Ah damn, I knew they weren't gonna let Chris win, but I would have loved to see his finale room. It was clear to me that they wanted Carmeon to win. She looks good on camera, already has the social media following, and can do all the internet stuff which is required these days. Not to say she isn't a decent designer, but I didn't get her bedroom. For me, opening your bedroom door and having a huge bookshelf wall right there in your face that you have to walk around to get to the actual bedroom was just weird.  I did like the African vibe of her finale room, but it seemed like it was essentially 3-4 different seating areas. 

Eli is still not sure what he is about. He was second guessing everything, and would probably have gone really wrong if he hadn't had a team that included better stylists. I also didn't understand the textural wall in the back of his finale apartment. For a while I thought the builders were maybe in the process of trying to plaster something and left a big spluge there.

Still, all in all I enjoyed the series and will be back for more. 

PS. When the helpers were introduced, I was like ....who's Tony?! : D

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/5/2021 at 9:26 PM, Writing Wrongs said:

I quit this after 3 episodes. I thought all the designs were terrible.

It gets better if you ever find the courage to try again.