Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Mazel Tov

What a tense birthday "party"!  Would it have been as tense if Daniel hadn't been late?  Probably.

I liked Charlie the Chaplain but what was that music?  It sounded discordant, not comforting or warm or even human.  Daniel seemed to feel it though. 

Teddy Sr. stepped up, bless his heart.  Teddy, Jr. had to mark his territory.  I suppose if I was a guy and thought my wife had feelings for someone as compelling as Daniel, I might pee on a tree too. 

• Love 1

I like how Teddy Jr. was wary when Amantha was all friendly to him. Can somebody refresh my memory? Daniel and Tawney never had sex,did they? Because,if so,that reeks of a soap opera plot with the pregnancy.

Other than that aspect,I enjoyed this episode. Having everyone together for their mom's birthday. Being on their best behavior and all. Through all that,Daniel bringing in that oven for his mom and Teddy Sr. being so sweet about it while Teddy Jr. tried to poke holes in it. Typical family stuff,really. I always want to give Daniel a big,strong hug.

(edited)

Judois - The only thing we saw between Daniel & Tawney (physically) was one kiss.  I, too, would be terribly disappointed if this turned into a WTD storyline, but I really don't think that's where they're headed.

Nosleepforme - The dog Daniel was holding was a Papillion.  They're cute as the dickens.  Also...

The music by Gabriel Mann was particularly beautiful in this episode.

It's interesting that the music struck you that way.  The music was one of very reasons I even came to post, except I felt the complete opposite.  Those slow piano notes played over so many scenes really took me out of the story; I actually commented on it several times to Mr. Jabroni while we were watching.  To me, it felt rather 'ham-fisted' in that it seemed like a Pavlovian clue that this.was.important.  And maybe it was just our TV, but I felt like it was also too loud, made some of the dialogue hard to hear.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Where to start? 

Happy birthday, Mom!  Lawd, that was the most tense, uncomfortable party.  Along with the well written material, these actors give such great nonverbal and nuanced performances.  The scene when Ted, Jr. notices Tawney and Daniel in kitchen, the emotions that quickly played across his face before he put back on his happy face to share the news - was so well done, not to mention the unspoken dynamic among the three of them before/during Ted's announcement.  I'm willing to lay 100-1 odds, right now, that their child is never born. 

Amantha.  Was Mrs. Holden still under anasthesia and couldn't decide between Amanda and Samantha?  Either way.  STFU, Amantha.  Seriously.  Bless her heart, but Abigail Spencer is making a career of playing the most annoying character possible.

Lezlee with a Z makes a good spiritual guide for Daniel (if you're into coke & shrooms), but his overall character feels a bit too contrived. Yes, Daniel needs someone besides the hens (mom & SisterBuzzkill) to talk to/explore his character, but again with the ham-fisted-ness.  We get it, he's wise, he's caring, he likes to party, he helps out the underdog; no need to beat us over the head with it.  I'm hoping that his living so close to that river means he has pertinent information about what actually happened the night that Hannah was murdered.  This show just seems too tightly written to have this character (much like Trey, who clearly knows something he isn't telling) be so interested in Daniel, conveniently live pretty close to the crime scene, and give Daniel the very drug he was on the night of the murder. 

I go back and forth on liking/trusting the Sheriff.  On one hand, he seems not to be jumping on the political bandwagon to get Daniel reincarcerated.  On the other, he told Ted's coffee grounds story to the has-some-hidden-stake-in-this Senator.  He doesn't know that George is even missing, does he?  It's only been about two weeks in show time since the series started, is that correct?  Three weeks, tops, if I'm understanding the timeline.

ETA: Character names.  I won't forget them again.  :)

Edited by SomeJabroni
  • Love 2

Great Particles, Sarah.

I liked Charlie the Chaplain but what was that music?  It sounded discordant, not comforting or warm or even human. 

This! So jarring. I yelled, "Dear God, when will it resolve?!?"

Other than that aspect,I enjoyed this episode. Having everyone together for their mom's birthday. Being on their best behavior and all. Through all that,Daniel bringing in that oven for his mom and Teddy Sr. being so sweet about it while Teddy Jr. tried to poke holes in it. Typical family stuff, really.

YES. I loved that the tension came from a very, very real place.

To me, the most awkward of all the Ted Jr.-and-Tawney Awkwardness came when she added, ". . . With your baby."  Whaaaa?  Wow. Why didn't she just add one last ". . . Definitely." while she was at it?

I don't think Tawney would consider an abortion. I don't think it fits with her religion.

I could hardly watch when Daniel presented his mom with the oven, and it was obvious she didn't want it. I felt so bad for Daniel as well as exasperated with him that he would give her a beat-up oven for her new kitchen. I didn't know what a Wedgewood oven was, and I was picturing something more retro looking and less junky. Anyway, I absolutely loved Ted Sr for saving the day.

I thought Daniel gave a beautiful speech at the funeral, and everyone who said he rambled were idiots.

Loved all of Daniel's little jibes at Charlie the Chaplain, for instance that he preferred him in the silent era. As for that music, I too was puzzled by the discordant sound. Strange selection.

(edited)

I liked this episode much better than last week.
Man, there is certainly bad history between Daniel & Trey. The tension was palpable. Did anyone find it odd that Trey asked Daniel about being free seeming too real? That's been a theme with Daniel sometimes pondering what's real. Something dark happened the night Hannah was killed and only Trey & Daniel share that dark secret IMO. Georgie was probably aware of it but he can't say anything of course.

Anyone else think that Tawney wanted to keep it a secret cause she was considering an abortion?

I saw some hesitation at Tawney's desire to be pregnant at this time, under the recent conditions with Junior, but I didn't read far enough into the notion that she might consider an abortion. That's just not who she is in her religious beliefs IMO. I think the tension will not abate given that she asked Teddy not to say anything but he did anyway. Also, the chemistry and sense of connection between Tawney and Daniel is still there.

ETA: @peeayebee beat me to it about Tawney. ^^^

I also wouldn't give any more thought to the idea that Daniel & Tawney had sex or that she's carrying his baby. They didn't do more than his attempted kiss. This show wouldn't veer into that cliched scenario. I could be wrong of course, but I'm not.

Ted Sr. is a saint. He just is. After the blowup with Janet, he treated her with such courtesy and respect, and I loved his defense of Daniel's gift to Janet, even though it really is a bit of a hassle to install a gas line into a total-electric house.

I'm with @nosleepforme about the music being especially beautiful this week. I also agree with others that the score during last scene with Charlie the Chaplain was screechy and mystifying. I take that as the way Daniel was hearing it in his head. I felt it paralleled the dissonant thoughts that cause Daniel to question what is real and "normal".

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 1

I loved the music.  This show makes me cry at least once each episode, and last night it happened twice--at Teddy Sr.'s intervention regarding the Wedgewood stove and at the playing of this music and  Daniel's reaching toward it.  Google tells me it's a violin piece by an Estonian composer, Arvo Pärt.  I thought the slight discordance was gorgeous and heart-rending.  Entirely fitting for the scene.

I'm mesmerized by Aden Young every week.

• Love 2

Wanted to add that I agree that Amantha was quite likeable this episode, and I LOVED the scenes with Jon and Amantha at the skating rink, especially Jon's response to the woman who confronted them in the parking lot. She told them to take their PDA and do that somewhere else.

Jon: How old were you then? Five? Eight?

Woman: I was old enough.

Jon: Old enough...for what? To listen to what your parents told you and believe it because they told you it was the truth? Afraid to think for yourself? Scared to look at all the facts? And for what? So you'd be afraid to admit to yourself that you might be wrong? Could you go do that somewhere else?

• Love 10

Man, there is certainly bad history between Daniel & Trey. The tension was palpable. Did anyone find it odd that Trey asked Daniel about being free seeming too real? That's been a theme with Daniel sometimes pondering what's real. Something dark happened the night Hannah was killed and only Trey & Daniel share that dark secret IMO. Georgie was probably aware of it but he can't say anything of course.

I admit I can't remember all the details from the first season, but I wonder if Trey and George were hanging out with Daniel and Hannah that night, and they all were high. Maybe that night Daniel had said something about reality, so Trey's comment to him at the gas station was mocking that statement.

I do believe that there were multiple semen samples found on Hannah from that night of her death. It's safe to say that the 3 guys crossed paths, possibly partying together, that night. (IMO)

Last season Jon was listening to Daniel's taped confession. If I'm not mistaken, there was a comment by Daniel about "it being so real", but I can't be positive. Daniel probably repeatedly made that comment while high on the mushrooms, even in front of Trey, and it would make sense that Trey was mocking him at the gas station.

I love Ted Sr. I love that he is so good to Daniel, looking after him like he's his own, and doing total damage control over Daniel's gift while Teddy shat all over it and Janet was just surprised and speechless. He is such a good man. And I felt so bad for Tawney, wanting to keep the baby a secret for whatever reason (possible divorce? Fear of miscarriage? Hoping for a miscarriage?) and Teddy just had to run roughshod all over her feelings by upstaging Daniel and being a dick yet again to his wife and her feelings. You could see her face fall as he made that announcement.

I hate the sheriff and I hate the DA. Of course he was going to spill the beans about what Teddy told him, despite his promises. Teddy should have told someone, but not the guy that is gunning for Daniel. And once the DA finds out that Daniel slept with his mistress, it will be game on.

• Love 3
(edited)
I hate the sheriff and I hate the DA. Of course he was going to spill the beans about what Teddy told him, despite his promises. Teddy should have told someone, but not the guy that is gunning for Daniel. And once the DA finds out that Daniel slept with his mistress, it will be game on.

I don't dislike Carl the sheriff as much as I do Senator Foulkes. Carl seems more apt to be fair while Foulkes is bound and determined to see Daniel back on death row. I don't like that Carl spilled the beans about Daniel's attack on Teddy but I also think it's going to backfire on them somehow. Teddy wants it kept quiet so he may be unwilling to help them nail Daniel for fear of public humiliation.

And there's still my nagging feeling that Foulkes has a more personal link, some kind of knowledge, to Hannah's killing that he doesn't want revealed. Just a feeling.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2

If Tawney was considering an abortion, I don't think she would have told Teddy about being late.

Can anyone tell me why Daniel knows that Jared had his tapes? The scene between them was so tense. "It's natural to be curious, but you have to be careful with it" almost sounded like a threat. I want to more scenes between them though. I think their relationship is interesting.

It was awful. It sounded like a train wreck in slow motion.

(edited)

Fisher King said:

And there's still my nagging feeling that Foulkes has a more personal link, some kind of knowledge, to Hannah's killing that he doesn't want revealed. Just a feeling.

I fully cosign this.  His insistency at REincarcerating Daniel goes way beyond having prosecuted the original case, IMO.  If I didn't think this show was too smart for that, I'd swear that George or Trey was his illegitimate son for whom he was trying to cover. 

ETA:  Tawney.  While I don't believe that she really really wants to be pregnant at this point, I can't imagine her character even considering an abortion for reasons well articulated above.  But I still don't think she'll carry that child to term.

Edited by SomeJabroni
  • Love 1

The dog in the scene at the beginning was so adorable (and distracting haha). What kind of breed was it?

I thought it was clever that it was a papillon, French for  "butterfly" and its name was Monarch.  

Tabula Rasa means "blank slate" and seems to be a fitting symbol for Daniel's existence in this new world.

Poor Tawney.  Clearly, she can barely stomach Teddy, Jr. and now the thought of being tied to him forever through this baby is making her sad and regretful.  

• Love 2

Can anyone tell me what the last exchange was between Daniel and Charlie the Chaplin? The music was overpowering and I couldn't make out what they were saying.

Thanks!

The dog in the scene at the beginning was so adorable (and distracting haha). What kind of breed was it?

As mentioned, Monarch is a papillon! They do love to be in laps, but most would revolt if you tried to carry them in a purse. It's part of why I got one (I've always been a big dog type of person, but had to go smaller for my last dog). They're known as "the border collie of the toy group" for a reason -- they're intelligent, energetic little dudes.

I've always liked Amantha, and I empathized uncomfortably strongly with her struggle to be polite through an entire family gathering. It was nice to see her have some fun this episode, too.

I've been indifferent about Ted Sr. up until now, but he really won me over when he talked about the stove. Everyone knew what he was doing, even Daniel, but his little speech didn't come off as patronizing at all; it was sweet.

• Love 1

Amantha and Ted Jr. have always had over the top personalities, but when it came time to do the right thing, Amantha stepped up for the special occasion.  Ted Jr.  continued being the jerk he always is with his comments to Amantha, his baby reveal and his criticism of the stove.  He is always about himself and how it affects him and who he hurts is none of his concern.  I doubt he will ever change and I have a feeling it's not going to end well for him.

Ted Sr. proved he is one of best guys on the show, helping out Daniel with the stove and making an awkward situation passable.

• Love 2

After the previous week's episode, which I didn't think much of, this was a welcome return to the show I love.

Ted Sr., just keeps being awesome. I wanted to hug him for being so wonderful especially after Janet was pretty terrible to him in the previous episode. How is Ted Jr. such a tool when his dad is so great?

Loved Amantha being happy at the roller rink and gritting her teeth to be nice to Teddy.

Jon was my favorite player this week. His takedown of the Meatspace Concern Troll (thank you, Sarah!) was a thing of beauty. During that scene, I said outloud, "Whoa, Jon Stern, you've never been hotter than you are right now."

Amantha didn't have to get her rage on and maybe, just maybe, MCT will go learn some facts and think for herself. Doubt it, but this is fiction so I can dream.

I also wanted to give Daniel a big hug after his speech at Gaines' funeral. He breaks my heart week after week. What kind of bravery does it take to even get dressed and go to that funeral knowing how most people in that town feel about him, much less to get up and speak like that? Hell, what kind of bravery does it take to just go to the store for him? AY is just so good in this role. So so good.

The Sheriff has gone back to "mostly dislike" for me for telling the Senator what Teddy told him about the Fauxlger's incident. I hope Teddy completely shuts them down when they talk to him next week. Come on, Teddy, redeem yourself!

Poor Tawney. I can't see her sticking with this marriage, even with a baby. She seems to have crossed some inner line with herself, with who she wants to be, and this marriage isn't part of that anymore. In real life, a person like her would drive me a bit nuts to be around but I really love what the actress has done with this role.

Sarah Bunting, thank you for your Particles. I look forward to it every week!

• Love 1

I thought this was a great ep. So much going on and the interaction with everyone so well done. Like this:

The scene in which Teddy Jr. announced the pregnancy was amazing. There were so many things going on in the faces of Daniel, Teddy and Tawny. Wonderfully played by Aden, Adelaide and Clayne. I also loved the scene in which Daniel's mother told him that he had to be more careful, because he wasn't "normal". I had already loved the scene in the trailers.

and this:

Can anyone tell me why Daniel knows that Jared had his tapes? The scene between them was so tense. "It's natural to be curious, but you have to be careful with it" almost sounded like a threat. I want to more scenes between them though. I think their relationship is interesting.

I lean towards being sympathetic to Daniel but I'm always left questioning if I should be.

Anyone else think that Tawney wanted to keep it a secret cause she was considering an abortion?

I agree with those that don't think she could do something like that and the poster above that mentioned she wouldn't tell Teddy if she was considering it. I think she now feels more trapped than ever and wanted to delay telling people because she can't really face it herself right now.

The scene with Jon in the parking lot was another great moment. We haven't really seen much of his personality and I was not expecting that reaction from him.

Ted Jr.  continued being the jerk he always is with his comments to Amantha, his baby reveal and his criticism of the stove.  He is always about himself and how it affects him and who he hurts is none of his concern.  I doubt he will ever change and I have a feeling it's not going to end well for him.

Yes, he certainly is a jerk. I wonder how much of one he was prior to Daniel's return. It's somewhat funny how he keeps getting undercut by Daniel unintentionally. There was a small moment at the party when Teddy was trying to tell Janet how much she means to him and Tawney and he's cut off by Daniel pulling up outside and everyone's attention shifting to that.

I also liked the Charlie the Chaplain scenes and the conversation between Daniel and Janet when he came home after being gone for a few days. I can't really explain it but there's such an awkwardness in many of their interactions where he's brought back to the level of a teenager.

• Love 1
(edited)

The scene with Jon in the parking lot was another great moment. We haven't really seen much of his personality and I was not expecting that reaction from him.

Absolutely.

Any other time it would have been Amantha threatening to leave a boot print on whiny-girl's face. Glad to see it wasn't. Amantha even tried to shush him at one point. Seems like a conjugal visit from Jon has mellowed Amantha out a bit. Either that or she's basking in the glow of making 'Employee of the Month' at Thrifty Town.

Edited by Fisher King

I'm just getting into Rectify and loving it. So many things go past me, but I did note the name 'Monarch' for the Papillon. (Papillon is french for 'butterfly.') Of course it was sitting in Daniel's lap like a little king, too. I didn't recognize woman as the waitress, at first. Creepy. but he was there for more than one day? Or at the party for more than one day?

"I'm mesmerized by Aden Young every week."

I'm going through a complete AY phase actually. Thankfully I have easy access to his work as I am Aussie and he's just as amazing in his local work. His range is impressive - he's different everywhere. It's a pity a man that talented and that gorgeous just couldn't handle the madness of Hollywood so he spent 20 years hiding under a rock (thankfully honing his craft in the meantime).

Very late to the party, but I do want to say....I am SO glad that Daniel ditched the ever-present pajama top for the funeral!! He wore it to Atlanta, he wore it to ZLesley's party, and I know it's probably not a pajama top but it looks so much like one that I have to wonder what point the costume design crew is trying to get across.

I have always thought that Ted Sr was the nicest person in any room, and he proved it again in this episode. Although, he is trying to get back into Janet's good graces but I also think that is just the kind of man he is. How did he beget Relaxed Douche Face Teddy Jr?

• Love 1

I liked Charlie the Chaplain but what was that music?  It sounded discordant, not comforting or warm or even human.  Daniel seemed to feel it though.

I am just now watching this show for the first time and that music KILLED me - it was like the proverbial nails on a chalkboard, though if the intent was to make me feel even more tense and uncomfortable during this episode than I usually do, then it was effective.

• Love 1