Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Future Tense

jewel21
  • Start Topic

4 hours ago, cameron said:

They mentioned that May had once committed suicide.  I don't remember this.  Anyone remember that?

According to Wikia Fandom this:

"She tried to commit suicide after being bullied at school, which she theorized was because she was talking to a boy the leader liked. She took pills Athena had left over from a year before, but survived."

Wow. I didn't remember the details of May's suicide attempt. My mind is like a sieve when it comes to remembering things from season to season.

So few comments about the eye thing. Gah!!! Haven't they done weird stuff with worms/parasites before, but not eye related?

I liked the Hildy coffee maker prank. I will say that there have been times where I SWEAR I have just "thought" about something, not searched for it online at all, and then I see ads for it. (I also don't use a 'smart speaker'.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, preeya said:

According to Wikia Fandom this:

"She tried to commit suicide after being bullied at school, which she theorized was because she was talking to a boy the leader liked. She took pills Athena had left over from a year before, but survived."

Thanks for the update.  Just didn't remember that at all.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

So few comments about the eye thing. Gah!!! Haven't they done weird stuff with worms/parasites before, but not eye related?

Eye stuff creeps me out, but I think part of it is because I'm so conscious of my eyes (I wear glasses and have to put eye drops in both eyes twice a day).  I had forgotten about the preview where one of them (Hen?) says something about seeing something move in the girl's eye when they are examining her.  I thought yoga girl was going to turn out to be one of those pseudo-science-following people who put urine in her eyes (I've read about it. Yuck!) and that was why she couldn't see.

I had figured that Buck was adopted, but now the whole idea of Maddie being his mother is intriguing. Another idea might be that he accidently caused the death of a younger sibling (and he was too young to remember the incident) and now Maddie's afraid that he'll remember it and it will traumatize him.  I just hope that whatever the big secret is, that it doesn't end up making us say 'That was the big secret?  Big whoop!' 

The smart house scene was good, but I thought there would be more to it--like it trapped him in his house and he couldn't get out (doors/windows locked, phone not working, etc.) but that might have been kind of a cliche nowadays. 

• Love 3
On 2/1/2021 at 11:34 PM, Bulldog said:

I hope the woman stalking her boyfriend faced some serious criminal charges.  I'd call it attempted murder, although I don't know if that would be correct, legally. 

I know Athena showed up at her door, but I'm kind of surprised they didn't follow up at all on what or if she was charged. If she'd had the shower turn cold I could maybe say it was just a super-bitchy 'prank', but having it go 1st or 2nd degree burn hot is assault at the very least.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, BooksRule said:

Another idea might be that he accidentally caused the death of a younger sibling (and he was too young to remember the incident) and now Maddie's afraid that he'll remember it and it will traumatize him.

Yeah that's another great idea.

Something that brings back memories of Rain Man's bath tub accident.

• Love 3

Or, to help fill the gap in age, there was an in-between child with leukemia or something and the parents only had Buck for a transplant. That didn't work. It's 9-1-1; go for the crazy, dramatic, and maximum emotional hit. Then once the sick kid dies, they disappear from their kid's lives, Maddie remembers how they used to be, but obviously Buck doesn't.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Ailianna said:

Or, to help fill the gap in age, there was an in-between child with leukemia or something and the parents only had Buck for a transplant. That didn't work. It's 9-1-1; go for the crazy, dramatic, and maximum emotional hit. Then once the sick kid dies, they disappear from their kid's lives, Maddie remembers how they used to be, but obviously Buck doesn't.

That^ is another great theory, but, again, I keep expecting it to be tied to Maddie about to give birth. But maybe it's not? It's about the his seeking therapy?  

I took a very different thing away from the discussion of therapy that Buck and Maddie had.  

She was concerned about him and wondering if there was a specific reason that he felt he needed therapy, like if there was a traumatic thing that she somehow missed.  He says "you told me I was sad and lonely, and you were right" and her first reaction is why he didn't talk to her about it.  Maybe she felt a little guilty.  They have spent so much time and energy on her problems that she may feel like she has failed him, or that her careless words injured him somehow.  The big thing I got was when he told her that he didn't talk to her because she always seemed sad too.  That bothered her A LOT.  

• Love 6
17 hours ago, cameron said:

They mentioned that May had once committed suicide.  I don't remember this.  Anyone remember that?

She couldn't have once committed suicide, or she'd be dead. I didn't remember she had once attempted to commit suicide but now I recall it, after other posters mentioned it.

I'm another who presumed Buck may have been adopted and wasn't told, though parents who would adopt presumably wouldn't be distant parents. Honestly when Buck was telling Chim what was wrong with his parents, it didn't strike me as abusive or neglectful. They weren't abusive, according to Buck, and Maddie said they weren't bad people. What Buck described as food on the table and so on sounds like parents who did fulfill the basics, and not every family is affectionate or puts their kids first. Chim mentioned that Maddie never speaks to or sees her parents, yet Maddie called her mom who knew all about the pregnancy. While Maddie alluded to the fact that she usually texts or emails, that's still communication, not estrangement. So according to what Buck and Maddie are saying, it just seems like selfish parents, maybe narcissistic and withholding of affection and attention. All of that is horrible and thankfully the opposite of how I was raised, but Maddie's anxiety about what Buck might uncover through therapy seems like it's something worse. That plus Maddie's fear about turning out like her parents.  I think that Maddie being the mother seems too outlandish, although I know outlandish is the game in this show. Yet I don't see a maternal vibe towards him. It is a little worrying though that they both detect sadness in the other.

There are too many theories to conjecture and we will find out, but I do hope she isn't Buck's mother. That would lead to way too many lasting complications. The darkest thing that ever happened on 911 is the death of Bobby's family, but although that grief is ongoing, the situation isn't. So I'll wait and see but again I hope they're not mother and child.

ETA: if I could have my pick of a storyline about the secret, it would be that he's originally from England and that somehow that leads to him being able to visit there, hang with his original family, then return. This way Oliver Stark could maybe be allowed to revert to his natural English accent. Yummy. 

Edited by Arkay
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

That's too much Grey's Anatomy to me and all of the hidden Meredith's siblings.

14 hours ago, ouinason said:

I took a very different thing away from the discussion of therapy that Buck and Maddie had.  

She was concerned about him and wondering if there was a specific reason that he felt he needed therapy, like if there was a traumatic thing that she somehow missed.  He says "you told me I was sad and lonely, and you were right" and her first reaction is why he didn't talk to her about it.  Maybe she felt a little guilty.  They have spent so much time and energy on her problems that she may feel like she has failed him, or that her careless words injured him somehow.  The big thing I got was when he told her that he didn't talk to her because she always seemed sad too.  That bothered her A LOT.  

Finally! Someone got it the way I did. I'm suprised that so many people thought that Maddie was against therapy.  

• Love 2

They mentioned that May had once committed suicide.

She did? You mean she's a ghost? 😀

The smart house scene was good, but I thought there would be more to it--like it trapped him in his house and he couldn't get out (doors/windows locked, phone not working, etc.) but that might have been kind of a cliche nowadays. 

The dumb part was that after the music snafu and the coffee maker going berserk the guy was still stupid enough to get in the Hildy-controlled shower. Like, get a clue moron. And did Hildy lock the shower door? Maybe instead of yelling for Hildy to turn the temperature down, oh, I don't know . . . get the hell out of the shower.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She did? You mean she's a ghost? 😀

The dumb part was that after the music snafu and the coffee maker going berserk the guy was still stupid enough to get in the Hildy-controlled shower. Like, get a clue moron. And did Hildy lock the shower door? Maybe instead of yelling for Hildy to turn the temperature down, oh, I don't know . . . get the hell out of the shower.

I was kinda under the impression the ex was doing all that. I get that it would be cool to have a smart house but a camera in the bathroom? Pointed at the shower? Weird. 

Don't care about Hens classmates either. 

It will be interesting to see what Bucks big reveal is. 

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

They mentioned that May had once committed suicide.

She did? You mean she's a ghost?

I have to admit, after reading this typo several times that I was thinking "zombie."

2 hours ago, BookWitch said:

It will be interesting to see what Bucks big reveal is. 

Likely it's not a big deal and all our speculation was for naught.

Edited by shapeshifter
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And did Hildy lock the shower door? Maybe instead of yelling for Hildy to turn the temperature down, oh, I don't know . . . get the hell out of the shower.

THIS. I could not get past the stupidity of not simply exiting the shower OR given the fact that it was one of those "right over your head rain fixture" thingys simply moving out from under the spray. That shower was plenty big enough for him to move away from the water. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

THIS. I could not get past the stupidity of not simply exiting the shower OR given the fact that it was one of those "right over your head rain fixture" thingys simply moving out from under the spray. That shower was plenty big enough for him to move away from the water. 

I could fanwank that he was overcome by the heat at that point and not able to get out.

• Love 1

My theory is Maddie and Buck's biological parents were killed - either in an accident or domestic violence situation.  The latter would may be why Maddie was attracted to an abuser herself, etc.  I think after their parents died, relatives (who never wanted children) took them in and raised them as their own.  Buck was obviously too young to remember.

Since Maddie is going to tell Chimney this huge secret, maybe he could return the favor by telling her how he got his nickname.

Edited by juliet73
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

My theory is Maddie and Buck's biological parents were killed - either in an accident or domestic violence situation.  The latter would may be why Maddie was attracted to an abuser herself, etc.  I think after their parents died, relatives (who never wanted children) took them in and raised them as their own.  Buck was obviously too young to remember.

This^ theory actually makes sense.

8 hours ago, juliet73 said:

Since Maddie is going to tell Chimney this huge secret, maybe he could return the favor by telling her how he got his nickname.

This makes the most sense to me.  It also plays to Buck saying Maddie looks sad all the time. If Buck was maybe barely old enough to witness things but seemed to grow up not remembering any trauma, then I could see Maddie being concerned that therapy might reveal things long repressed. 

I think the source of Chimney's nickname will remain a mystery like Penny's last name (BBT). 

On 2/2/2021 at 3:01 PM, iMonrey said:

I couldn't watch the eye worm extraction scene. Stuff like that is too much for me.

Which of the recappers on TWoP had an issue with anything eyeball-related? Was it Miss Alli or Sars? Or someone else?