Type keyword(s) to search

I Like the Show, But: The Little Things That Drive You Crazy

• Start Topic

This thread is a step lower than the Rage Spiral thread in that it's about shows that you enjoy with the exception of one or two things that drive you crazy, which may or may not have lead to you giving up on it.  For me:

In spite of how ridiculous it is (and it is ridiculous), I really like Prodigal Son.  But, I have a hard time getting past how young the lead characters' mother looks.  The actors are only a few years apart in age, but that isn't uncommon when tv shows do the casting.  However, typically, the actor playing the kid looks younger than their age.  In this show?  The actress looks way too young to be these kids' mother and it makes it difficult for me to concentrate on their scenes together.

Also, anytime the flaws of a character start getting worse to the point of being unbelievable:  The dumb get dumber, the angry get angrier, etc.  I may not give up on the show, but hate that and don't know why there's a tendency for writers to do it.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 3

Good thread idea.  I can think of plenty of shows that qualify.

A big area for me are shows that conceptually are good, and manage to eke out being entertaining, but the Host of the show sucks. For example, I barely understand why anyone suffers through seeing Tyra Banks host the current incarnation of Dancing With the Stars, except it's undeniable that the actual dancing can be worthwhile if you mute the show whenever Tyra is onscreen.

Or there's Big Brother. I rarely to never watch it anymore, but understand the appeal is still there.  But Julie Chen has NEVER been a good host.  I can never prove it to anyone, and honestly it's not really worth trying, but many years ago I'm likely the person who sparked the tradition of calling her Chenbot (probably as early as Big Brother 2, although I won't swear to that timing) back on a board called Fans of Reality TV which still exists I guess but which I haven't logged onto at ALL in 7 or 8 years.  It was initially Juliebot, and full disclosure, I don't recall how it morphed to Chenbot, whether it was me or someone else at the same board rolling with a version that sounded better.  It's the Internet, and even back then things often evolved like that.

The name spread and spread everywhere, including Twitter, and it's amused the hell out of me that happened.--especially since I understand Chen herself wound up aware of it and used it at some point.  You know... trying to sound more human by embracing the nickname.

The name really WAS intended to convey how robotic her delivery was.  There simply wasn't any more to it.  She's rebooted and adapted in small ways, and I suppose her delivery is better in some ways, but there's still the sense that this is just a ridiculous job, just for a paycheck, and she certainly knows that and isn't going to ever truly sound sincerely enthusiastic about anything.  And although so much else about the show wore on me and pushed me away a long time ago, it's NOT a rage spiral at all.  Even back then, Julie was a thorn in a strong show, and now she's a thorn in a weaker show.  But not an enraging one, just a tired one.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kromm said:

A big area for me are shows that conceptually are good, and manage to eke out being entertaining, but the Host of the show sucks.

I've never watched Big Brother, but Dancing With the Stars is one that you can easily mute the host.  I haven't seen it with Tyra and I never had to mute Tom Bergeron, but I did mute the first 5 seconds or so of Bruno until he was past the ridiculous descriptions of what he just watched and moved on to actual critique.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

This is The Witcher and BlackAF for me.

With the Witcher, I enjoyed it overall but there are some storytelling decisions that frustrated me in places.  For instance, in the big battle why have Yennifer act as the tactical general overseeing the battlefield? The show gave no hint that she had any battle or tactical experience. Meanwhile there were actual warriors on their side who did.  Also the lack of POV for the antagonists made the story feel lopsided. You never get a real sense of the antagonist's motive.

With BlackAF, Kenya Barris is a terrible actor and really should have hired someone else to play him.  He was the weak link.

I thought I had nothing to contribute here, but on reflection, there is something in Grey's Anatomy that has always bugged me. There should probably be a lot, but I can gloss over the increasingly unbelievable things -- deaths, amputations, cancer, crazy people, fires, floods, etc. -- that happen to the hospital and the people in that hospital because it's a TV show.

But I just don't understand why the chief of surgery is the top person in that hospital, just below the board. Is there not a hospital CEO? A CFO? Our hospital has both those positions, along with several vice presidents who are over various areas. It seems to me that the chief of surgery would be one of the people in senior leadership, but not necessarily the head honcho, and particularly not the one who is always called on to speak to the press about disasters -- particularly when the chief of surgery always seems to be singularly unqualified to speak to the press or even issue a public statement. Shouldn't the hospital also have a public relations/communications and marketing department (or at least a chief communications officer) that helps with that sort of thing?

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I've been watching Bridgerton, which on the whole deserves all the accolades is receiving. But it throws me off that most of the supposedly fresh young Regency debutantes are played by actresses who are clearly in their late 20s if not over 30. I know the show buys itself some leeway by being slightly alternate universe (and that hiring older actors to play teens has historically been common), but those debs would be under 20 and it really shouldn't be so obvious that they are so much older.

Edited by Llywela
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

I've been watching Bridgerton, which on the whole deserves all the accolades is receiving. But it throws me off that most of the supposedly fresh young Regency debutantes are played by actresses who are clearly in their late 20s if not over 30. I know the show buys itself some leeway by being slightly alternate universe (and that hiring older actors to play teens has historically been common), but those debs would be under 20 and it really shouldn't be so obvious that they are so much older.

Men play decades younger all the time and women in their thirties are cast as women in their 50s, so I'm pretty okay with Bridgerton. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

Men play decades younger all the time and women in their thirties are cast as women in their 50s, so I'm pretty okay with Bridgerton. 

I'm a multi-tasker. I can be annoyed about women in their 30s being cast as women in their 50s and also find it distracting in this particular show that women in their 30s are playing teenage girls. And sure, we also see guys playing teenagers in high school dramas, and it is ridiculous there too, but I wasn't talking about those shows. I was talking about this particular show in response to the premise of this specific thread, which asked about 'shows that you enjoy with the exception of one or two things that drive you crazy'. Bridgerton is the show I'm watching and enjoying at the moment, and that's the thing I find distracting about it. All the guys in this particular show are playing roughly their own age, since all the gentlemen courting the young ingenues are meant to be a good decade older than them (although that said, the younger brother looks older than the older brother, and that was distracting too), and I'm sorry, but if you have a 30-year-old guy playing his own age opposite a 30-year-old woman pretending to be 16, it shows. And I found it distracting, I kept trying to figure out how old the characters were supposed to be, because none of the ages made sense. It isn't a major criticism that requires anyone to leap to the show's defence, and I certainly am not claiming this issue is unique to this show. It was just a minor critique because it bugged me while watching although I otherwise enjoyed the show, which is specifically what this thread asked about.

• Like 1
  • Love 9
10 hours ago, Llywela said:

Yeah, I don't even notice it with a show like Bridgerton.  But holy cow I absolutely can't watch Pen15 because of this very thing.  So this is not a great example for this thread because I literally can't watch the entire show because those actresses look old as fuck (not really old-old, but they ain't 15) and I just can't turn my brain off enough to go with the conceit of the show because I am so distracted by how old as fuck they look.  LOL.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I feel like older shows (and movies) were even worse about casting people way too old for high school. I've been watching a lot of Westerns lately, and I wish I had a dollar for every time Marlon Brando or Steve McQueen pushing middle age and looking every bit of it is "the kid."

I'm actually watching an old show from the early 60s (Stoney Burke) with Warren Oates as one of the recurring characters, and a couple of times, he's referred to as a "boy." The entire set-up seems to be he and his pals are maybe early 20s. And 1962 Warren Oates is pretty fresh-faced compared to late 60s Warren Oates--I recognized his voice before I did his face--but nobody in their right mind would think he was anything but a guy in his 30s. Every time they do that, I wish I was watching it with someone, so I could exchange WTF looks with them. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Zella
  • Love 3

Madam Secretary, one thing that bothered me from the beginning was Henry and how involved he got in everything. He got involved in missions, training a spy, and bunch of other stuff. If the positions were reversed there was no way they'd have Elizabeth doing any of that crap. She might have a job but mostly be at home, taking care of the kids. They'd never have her do any of the things Henry did.

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Zella said:

I feel like older shows (and movies) were even worse about casting people way too old for high school. I've been watching a lot of Westerns lately, and I wish I had a dollar for every time Marlon Brando or Steve McQueen pushing middle age and looking every bit of it is "the kid."

I had the opposite experience over Christmas.  I was watching some old favourites including Holiday Inn and was really surprised when I looked up the two women playing the leads and found they were both only in their 20s when the movie was filmed.  They seemed older - especially the actress playing Lila.   But even actress's looking more mature than their years still end up being at least 20 if not 30 years younger than their love interest most of the time!  I think that's more common in movies but it happens on TV shows too.  Hopefully that's not happening as much as it used to.

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 5

YOU is brilliant but Joe, stop acting like you have a conscience and are morally superior after all the shit you’ve done.

Yes, I know that’s the point of the show, getting into the mind of a sociopath, but this thread is about things in good shows that drive you nuts, and this is mine. Making Joe seem like a tortured soul that has some good in him — the way he views himself anyway — only fans the flames of the fan girls Penn Badgley is trying to set straight.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3
57 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Making Joe seem like a tortured soul that has some good in him — the way he views himself anyway — only fans the flames of the fan girls Penn Badgley is trying to set straight.

Oh man this.  And even though the show is based on books, pretty much all of the things that make it seem like Joe has a code or is tortured or even a victim of circumstances beyond his control are the choices the show has made. 

I don't mind when a show makes chances from a book.  I do hate when those changes end up undermining what I feel is the overall theme of the original work.  And the theme of the books, IMO, was that Joe was a psychopath who lied to himself.  The fact that the book could get that across when it's 100% from his perspective but the show loses that too often even though it has a more objective view irritates me. 

• Love 3

Re: You

They need to stop giving Joe some cute kid to serve as his morality pet. Seriously. The dude's hands are all but caked with blood, I don't believe for a second he has a soft spot for moppets with a shitty home life.

I thought The Good Place was absolutely brilliant, but I really, really didn't care for the Janet and Jason 'ship. I mean, you want to talk about the trope of "the dopey slob who wins the heart of a woman who is a 1,000 times too good for him", this takes the cake (maybe that was the joke, but it still didn't work for me). I didn't buy Eleanor and Chidi's relationship at first, but at least they eventually won me over. 

• Love 4
10 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

They need to stop giving Joe some cute kid to serve as his morality pet. Seriously. The dude's hands are all but caked with blood, I don't believe for a second he has a soft spot for moppets with a shitty home life.

Thank you! It was fine in season 1 with Paco, but with Ellie in season 2 it got old real fast. Although it was awesome when Ellie flat-out Joe that he ruined her life and told him to burn in hell. It would be awesome if in the next season we find out that she's only taking his money and sending postcards so that she can know exactly who where he is and exact revenge. *fingers crossed*

And yeah, I don't buy that he only feels guilty about Delilah and Ellie because they were "innocent". He had no problem killing his girlfriends and framing another man, and the only thing those girls did wrong was not love him.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

I really like Young Sheldon but they're making Mary the fall guy to explain any and all of her husband's failings.  I know Chuck Lorre shows in particular love to have the shrewish woman who emasculates her "men folk" but I really wish that they could resist the temptation to do this in Young Sheldon.  I may have to stop watching if they don't dial this down!

Edited by WinnieWinkle
  • Love 4
On 1/27/2021 at 6:29 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

I thought The Good Place was absolutely brilliant, but I really, really didn't care for the Janet and Jason 'ship. I mean, you want to talk about the trope of "the dopey slob who wins the heart of a woman who is a 1,000 times too good for him", this takes the cake (maybe that was the joke, but it still didn't work for me). I didn't buy Eleanor and Chidi's relationship at first, but at least they eventually won me over. 

I never bought Eleanor and Chidi, not once. I think Kristin Bell was really overselling her performance, the relationship never seemed realistic to me. And I liked Eleanor better when she was a rotten person.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm watching Modern Family again on Netflix, and the show is still funny but... one thing (not the only thing) that is increasingly annoying is Cam's staggering insecurity and determination to be offended over everything.

The episode I just watched is one where Haley gets arrested in college so Phil, Claire and Mitchell leave in the middle of the night to bail her out. Cam offers to watch Alex and Luke and Claire says "I don't want to put him out." His reaction, immediately, is to huff about how Claire obviously doesn't respect his parenting skills.

The payoff? Cam finds out that Claire actually thinks he's a great parent, but that he can't bake. And Cam is mortally offended over that as well.

It's just so tiring. It's four seasons in and this is his storyline about eighty percent of the time. How did Eric Stonestreet not lose his mind over having the same story beats every week?

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 2

I just started season 4 of Gilmore Girls.

1. I'm confused as to what Lorelai can and cannot afford. 

2. Not everyone has a quick wit and even those who do do not speak that way continously in every conversation.*

*Oddly enough, this didn't bother me as much in The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.  Maybe because it wasn't as quint and cutsie.

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Like 6

Hazel (1961-1966) was a cute sitcom but it bugged me that somehow Hazel, her neighbors,etc. in that toney New York suburb ONLY seemed to know/employ other servants of Western European extraction and no other ethnicity. I think there was one episode in which they thought they were so 'enlightened' by befriending a Japanese-American valet (who they thought had been born in Japan but whose family had been in the US five generations).  Yep, that was the closest they came to attempting diversity!

• Sad 3
On 3/1/2021 at 7:07 PM, Danny Franks said:

'm watching Modern Family again on Netflix, and the show is still funny but... one thing (not the only thing) that is increasingly annoying is Cam's staggering insecurity and determination to be offended over everything.

OMG, that nearly ruined the show for me. I really felt for Mitch, because damn.

• Like 4
9 hours ago, GATenn said:

OMG, that nearly ruined the show for me. I really felt for Mitch, because damn.

The Mitch and Cam relationship was the worst of the show's main couples. Neither of them seemed to care about each other, and too many of their storylines together were about one, or both, of them hiding something from the other or being annoyed at the other about something.

I also got annoyed at how sterotypically gay they were portrayed as. So many of the jokes were about how catty/effeminate they were. And yet, the show gets treated as some big step forward in representation... Representation matters, but I would argue the quality of that representation is as important, if not more so, then the quantity. What good is having LGBTQ+ characters if they play into sterotypes?

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
On 9/26/2023 at 6:58 PM, Blergh said:

in that toney New York suburb

Was the location of the hometown ever established?  I know the exteriors were shot at Columbia Ranch in LA (where the Bewitched House and Leave it to Beaver house are) but I don't think the town even had a name much less a location.  It easily could have been a Philly suburb, Connecticut, Long Island or Westchester.  

Hazel (1961-1966) was a cute sitcom but it bugged me that somehow Hazel, her neighbors,etc

[Snip]

ONLY seemed to know/employ other servants of Western European extraction and no other ethnicity.

Actually, depending on where one lived (and in some cases when), it would not necessarily be out of place.  In fact, many of the immigrants in the show were from Europe because prior to 1965, they had priority. I suppose if the show had limped along into 1970 they might have had a black maid appear. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 2

Hazel had more or less spelled out that they lived in a somewhat distant but driveable NYC bedroom suburb and that the title protagonist herself had hailed from the Big Apple- and virtually every community in the US had African-American citizens at least working if not actually residing  in said communities as far back as 1865 so big FAIL that no African-Americans would have been depicted as domestic employees in 1966 on that show!

Also, one of the most pathetic moments which ostensibly was how unfair her boss Mr. B. (played by Don DeFore who seemed to have had far more fun playing Thorny on Ozzie and Harriet) was via  not enjoying singing of the  choir composed of the Hazel's club of fellow domestic employees happened when the  Sunshine Girls (all still wearing their formal maids' uniforms) sang the most anemic and soulless rendition of that classic African-American spiritual 'Down By the Riverside'. Not only did the rather bland canned studio singers sound NOTHING like the lip-synching performers depicted but they sang it without any levity or spirit. If they weren't going to cast any African-Americans on the show, WHY have the characters  blandly sing a song that is considered one of the best songs of the genre of African-American spirituals? 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

If they weren't going to cast any African-Americans on the show, WHY have the characters  blandly sing a song that is considered one of the best songs of the genre of African-American spirituals? 

Unfortunately those were decisions made by people long since dead so we can only speculate.  They may have been restricted to using singers contracted by the studio as opposed to hiring anyone from the outside, but that's just a guess.  

The Modernaires sang the show's title tune during the closing credits during the first season, but maybe they weren't available to sing anything further.

Edited by magicdog
  • Like 1

Reading about the domestic help I think the Black community also wanted to get away from "only" that role. Florida Evans being spun off onto Good Times is the only one I remember except The Jack Benny Show's Rochester showing up in syndication.

In relation to the Masters of the Air teaser trailer where use of the Tuskegee Airman was used in a show based in Great Britain and not Italy so "woke" accusations were flying. Then the full trailers came and historians could see that the P.O.W. experience was going to be a big part of the miniseries brings us to a different take on Hogan's Heroes.  

Not the normal how do we handle Nazis objections as comic foil but back to how we portray are own history of Jim Crow. Given segregation there was an almost zero percent chance that Ivan Dixon's "Sergeant" Kinchloe or his replacement Sergeant Baker would have been in the air and easily captured by the Germans. As to be up flying in single seat fighters that segregation demanded and not the Tuskegee Airmen bomber crews who were preparing to go against Japan. And  thus sergeants would be  ground crew would have meant they were at least a Flight Officer or Lieutenant to be a pilot. But in 60s TV that would have made a Black man second in command after Colonel Hogan over the rest of the sergeants at the stalag.

It wasn't until 70s TV that we started seeing the Black police captain type role where Black characters had a position of authority over White men. And now in hindsight I wonder if being in revolutionary times if it is part of the reason Ivan Dixon left the show before the end of its run.

• Like 2