Type keyword(s) to search

FilmNight: Movies you watched recently

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, meep.meep said:

Speaking as one of the six people who actually saw this in a real movie theater, its cinematography truly is art.  And it's all done with lenses.

It's a shame it was so overlooked. In 2008 Deakins was double Oscar nominated for this and No Country For Old Men, but There Will Be Blood took the prize. It's been argued that those two big neo-westerns overshadowed this one.  I thought Casey Affleck's Oscar nom was well deserved - he showed astounding range -  but Javier Bardem's win was sweet.

• Love 1

River of No Return

Directed by Otto Preminger and starring Robert Mitchum and Marilyn Monroe, who sings a couple of songs and is tolerable when deglamorized and speaking in a natural voice.  Monroe claimed River of No Return was her worst film.  I disagree, not her worst by a long shot.  I actually enjoyed it.  Beautiful scenery,  river raft road trip, Robert Mitchum and Rory Calhoun as well.

• Love 1

Spotlight (2015). A movie about investigative journalists trying to uncover the sexual abuse cases from the priests in Boston and being stone-walled, because there is a lot of money and influence involved. Based on true events.

I'm gonna put this movie in to the category of those that I will definitely rewatch one day. It's not a perfect movie, but definitely at least an 8 out of 10 for me.

• Love 5
On 4/11/2021 at 7:10 AM, Rushmoras said:

Spotlight (2015). A movie about investigative journalists trying to uncover the sexual abuse cases from the priests in Boston and being stone-walled, because there is a lot of money and influence involved. Based on true events.

I'm gonna put this movie in to the category of those that I will definitely rewatch one day. It's not a perfect movie, but definitely at least an 8 out of 10 for me.

I love this movie. They balance the troubling content with the need to tell the story very well, and nothing ever feels gratuitous or salacious. The drip feed of information, and the ratcheting of tension as they realise just how deeply the Catholic Church is built into every aspect of life in Boston.

The cast is great, particularly Michael Keaton and Liev Schreiber, as the long-time insider and the newly arrived outsider who find they can work together to get to the truth.

• Love 5

We watched Train to Buson last night ($0.99 on Amazon).  It's a ridiculous zombie movie made in Korea that obviously took some inspiration from World War Z.  I hate reading subtitles and I'm not crazy about zombie movies in general, so I thought I'd check out before it was half way done, but it was exciting!  Gory, for sure, but I could help getting really into it.  Talking to the screen ("hurry!", "OMG--don't do that!"...etc, etc....), tensing up and, yes, at times rolling my eyes and stating my bewilderment at why a certain character was doing one thing and not the other.  There were moments that were very serious and sad, but not too many and they didn't really feel out of place. 

If you like zombie movies and don't mind subtitles (remember-I normally hate them, but I managed ok), then you might want to try it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

We watched Train to Buson last night ($0.99 on Amazon).  It's a ridiculous zombie movie made in Korea that obviously took some inspiration from World War Z.  I hate reading subtitles and I'm not crazy about zombie movies in general, so I thought I'd check out before it was half way done, but it was exciting!  Gory, for sure, but I could help getting really into it.  Talking to the screen ("hurry!", "OMG--don't do that!"...etc, etc....), tensing up and, yes, at times rolling my eyes and stating my bewilderment at why a certain character was doing one thing and not the other.  There were moments that were very serious and sad, but not too many and they didn't really feel out of place. 

If you like zombie movies and don't mind subtitles (remember-I normally hate them, but I managed ok), then you might want to try it. 

I saw this while ramping up for last Halloween.  It hits a lot of the usual zombie movie tropes but the ending hit me like a ton of bricks.  I cried like a baby.

• Love 1

I actually thought the movie was hysterical, and this is easily my favourite movie this year so far, but the humour is REALLY weird and it's understandable that it's not everyone's cup of tea.  I laughed through the whole thing!

• Love 1

Dave Made a Maze. Weird movie. I love mazes, but there's only so many times I can watch Labyrinth. So Dave makes a maze out of cardboard boxes. However, it is in some sense real. Enough to actually enter and get lost in. His friends head in to rescue him. There are two ways you might think it would proceed. Fun comedy or proper adventure. It's more of a drama about... I dunno. In theory, it's about finishing what you start. Making something of yourself. Putting something out there in the world. In practice, I'd never have a clue if they didn't outright state it a couple of times. Even then I don't see it.

I didn't like Harry the documentarian. He got on my nerves every time he started up with his nonsense. Weirdly, the actor looks incredibly familiar. But I don't think I've ever seen him in anything else. Anyone know if James Urbaniak has any lookalikes running around the place?

I found Adam Busch annoying too, But he was a villain on Buffy way back when, maybe it's residual animosity? I liked the boom mike operator, trying to maneuver the pole around through all the tight corners and size changes and such. Dave himself, Nick Thune, has a lookalike. John Barrowman. Except without the charisma, IMO.

The standout was Meera Rohit Kumbhani. Yeah, she's the actual protagonist. Let me be shallow, she's very pretty. Also, big eyes and long arms. Or maybe they just look long because she's so slim. Either way, she was pretty good.

It's not a movie I intend to watch again. Muddled themes, underused maze, no real good standout moments. I'd rate it all right, but no better than that.

The Company She Keeps

Forgettable and silly, except for the little dude who was Jeff Bridges in his first film role.  Laidback even as a baby, he wouldn't cry on cue so his mother told Jane Greer to pinch him, which apparently worked.

JeffBridges2.jpg.0d1bd966c6bed34c44dc13131b9617a0.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I took the week off to hang out with my kids during spring break and at night I have been catching up on movies I have never seen. Last night and the night before I watched Gangs of New York. After finally seeing it I can't believe how boring a movie that looked so good could be. Both nights I took a nap mid movie. And looking back it seems like hardly anything happened which is crazy since it is like 2 and a half hours. And then the end was super anti-climactic.

I was really surprised since I like a lot of Scorcese movies. Goodfellas is probably a top 5 favorite movie of mine.

• Love 1

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Daft movie, but kind of fun. I have, sadly, seen worse excuses for two hours entertainment.

But a couple of thoughts. There's an Aussie kaiju codenamed Titanus Bunyip! For those not in the know, bunyips are our very own cryptid. I'm glad someone did a little homework. However, not enough. Said kaiju is lurking in the vicinity of Ayers Rock. Officially, yeah. That's one of its names. Actually these days, it's Uluru. That's the original and more commonly used name.

I finished watching maybe a half hour ago, but I'm having trouble remembering what happens. Yeah, Godzilla fights Gidorah, dies, comes back from the dead. Giant Jesus lizard? There are other kaiju, who... do things. Mothra fights Rodan? Joe Morton! I've seen Terminator 2 enough times that he starts to look like a familiar and friendly face. Bradley Whitford got the funniest lines. The Vasquez character lived! If the bad guys had put a guard on Millie Bobby Brown, the end would have been different. But what actually happened to the bad guys? But I genuinely can't remember. The laws of narrative state that one of the monsters should kill them, if only as a side effect or collateral damage from the climactic fight. The movie is just that hollow.

Oh. I just looked up a plot summary. The main villain lives to cause trouble again. Should have stuck around for the post-credits scene, but I just couldn't be bothered. And doesn't that speak to studio mandate? No, you can't kill the villain. We need him for the sequels. Great.

There's a quote from Shakespeare's play McB that sums these kind of movies up. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. They're complete nonsense. And yet, when they come out with Monsterverse 5, I will probably be there day 1.

Okay, the last four movies I've seen were bad. I know I have a problem. But I have some good movies lined up. Honest!

• Love 2

One of those movies is 1982's Conan the Barbarian. I've seen it many times over the years. Rewatching because there's going to be a podcast discussing it later this week. Still holds up. So right from the start, I think it was Lindybeige who criticised the sword forging. "Oh, that's not how you do it." Bloody tell us how it is done, Mr Smartarse. I've always liked the Pict. The redhead guy who climbs on the rock. Conan's mother really has great eyes.

For many years, I got Thorgrim and Rexor confused. The one with the facial hair just looks like a Thorgrim, but it is not to be. Thorgrim is clean-shaven.

Wheel of Pain! Great set? Prop? It's not quite either. Trivia: nowdays a replica has been built for the Arnold Classic strongman competition. There's even a video on the construction of the wheel. Nice being able to see all the little details.

I don't know if the reason has ever been stated, but my feeling is that Conan's master just had an attack of conscience. Anyone ever think differently?

The Atlantean tomb. If I were to design an Atlantean art style, I'd go for Mesoamerican meets Polynesian. I have the feeling I'm stealing that from somewhere, but can't remember where. Any takers?

Hykania is roughly analogous to Turkey, so let's hire a Hawaiian and give him a Mongolian name. Subotai was one of Genghis Khan's generals. Oh, Hollywood. When will you learn? It's around now, 30 minutes into a 2 hour film, that I feel it actually starts. You know how ROTK gets dragged for the multiple endings? Everything up until the first town feels like a series of prologues to me.

Yeah, Tower of the Eleph-- er, Serpent. Someone once claimed that Conan never speaks to Valeria. No, he does it in their first meeting. Hey, the priestess that Valeria nabs kind of looks like Chloe Bennet. Never noticed that before. Valeria's speech later has to be the most romantic thing I've ever heard. And one of the best three pieces of music in a movie stuffed with top-level stuff. I can't think of a movie with a better score.

I like how Conan starts his journey dressed in proper armour. Sure, he gives it up later. But it's a nice touch. Wait, I don't remember him telling Mako to look after horse and sword before. How have I never seen that before?

If I were to do this movie myself, I'd remove the creepy gay undertones. It's comedy that IMO doesn't quite land. Indeed, it gets worse as I get older. But I like Conan being a bad actor/liar. Arnie can act. Mountain of Power is another great tune. And I like how stuffed with extras this whole movie is. Nowdays you'd have a dozen up front and the rest would be CG inserts. The Mountain of Power set is great on the whole.

The Kitchen/the Orgy is my favourite music from the movie. And I love how they sneak around the orgy chamber, especially Valeria. Her way of movement. The princess has always looked like a Zoe to me. I knew a girl named Zoe with pale skin, blue eyes, and dark hair back when I was a kid. My sister has the same complexion, but I dunno. Princess Zoe it is. Sadly, the actress died in an accident age 31. :(

Snake arrow! Let's see Hawkeye use that one. And the way Subotai helps Conan with Valeria. I always like wordless teamwork. Conan having a crisis of faith right before the battle. Nice touch.

I always thought that in-universe, the mountain external area was marble. Looks that way. But it burns awfully well for marble.

You think we'll ever get the King Conan movie? I'm skeptical.

Trivia: Arnie was contemplating going into politics way back in 1982. He initially wanted to be president, but when he heard that it wasn't doable, went for a governorship instead. Also, he had Terminator lined up next at this point. The 80s were very good for him.

• Love 1

Mortal Kombat (2021). There are a lot of controversial opinions about this movie (at least on the websites I frequented recently), some say it's complete trash, some say its great. Those, that are saying it is complete trash, are fans of the game franchise unhappy that the movie is not following the game's lore. Those, that are saying it is good, are not fans of the game franchise and don't really care that the movie does not follow the game's lore.

I, having watched only Mortal Kombat (1995), Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (1998) and Mortal Kombat television series (I guess, 1999-2000), tend to agree with the latter camp. The movie is loads better than the campy and cheezy versions of 1995 and 1998. Is it better than the TV series of the nineties? Hard to say, because I don't remember it all that much. I just have vague memories of seeing Otherworld (Netherworld (?)) ninjas and Liu Kang fighting them every episode in what looked like Medieval Japan (or pick any other Asian country).

So, this movie...

Spoiler

the premise of it is that... in Medieval Japan, a rival clan ninja wielding sub-par magical ice-powers killed a rival clan's ninja without any powers, because there was a prophecy that that ninja's that ice-ninja killed family line will one day save the Earth from these baddies from another dimension through a martial arts tournament where everyone dies. So, the ice-ninja kills his entire family, but misses a baby. Here, steps in Raiden (an elder thunder-god) to save the baby. Flash forward to the present, we see a descendant of the killed ninija taking up amateur fighting tournaments for two hundreds bucks a fight, because that's the only way he knows how to support his family. So, he's getting his ass kicked. Flash forward to another dimension called the Otherworld, we see how the semi-boss of that dimension Shang Tsung in order not to sweat in the upcoming martial arts tournament decides to kill off its Earthling participants and sends his best mercenary team after them. Low and behold, one of the members of that mercenary team is the sub-par ice powers having ninja... but now his powers have grown immensely, and he can control the weather, and he calls him self Sub-Zero now. So, they start hunting the future tournament participants...

Now, I get why some people say, oh, it's not a MK movie, because there is no tournament here, well... yeah, it's kind of like a prologue, I would wager, and we gonna see the tournament either in the second or third movie (if there will be). Then again, they are kind of taking the same rules from the 1998 movie where Shao Kan decided to: "Hey, I know that we lost in the first movie and all, but we still gonna invade Earth, because what are the Elder Gods gonna do to us? Oh, right, nothing". So, they took a page from that movie and decided to... "you can't have a tournament, if there is no one left to fight in it". And, theoretically, in the movie Raiden, as an elder god, cannot interfere, but de facto... he kinda does. I mean, he teleports people from danger, he shields them from danger (when the plot demands this). So, it's not clear why he can't, but actually can interfere, because the

Spoiler

only time where Raiden obeyed this rule of his was when Shang Tsung was holding Kung Lao by the throat and stealing is soul; and Raiden was like... well, shit, can't teleport him to safety. Sorry, Kung.

Anyways, as I've said, I liked the movie. There was one instance in the opening segment of the film where I was like: "Just no" in regards to the fighting with a spear on a leash (don't know what it's called), but in one scene for a couple of seconds it appeared that it defied the laws of physics even more than usual.

Spoiler

Also, initially, I was thinking that they will make Cole in to Scorpion, because of his link with the in Middle Ages killed ninja and the flash-backs that he gradually received throughout the movie. I thought that they will go the route where Cole, while fighting Sub-Zero, will somehow access the essence of his slain ancestor and use it to become Scorpion, but no... they decided to make Cole an original character (another reason why some did not like the movie) and then introduce Scorpion in the end

Spoiler

as a vengeful spirit risen from Hell to avenge his and his family members deaths against Sub-Zero.

Well, all in all, I would rate this movie a 7 out of 10. Maybe, if I had seen other MK movies (many seem to praise the fan-made one that was on youtube a couple of years ago (but I have my doubts) or Scorpions Revenge (an animated one)), maybe I would say that those movies are better, but since I haven't, and I only can compare this to the 1995, 1998 and 1999-2000 instalments, well... to me, this was the better movie.

The Maze Runner is all right. I've seen worse, I've seen better. Takes too long to get into the maze, and not enough is done with it. Kaya Scodelario is very pretty. Ends on a cliffhanger. I was starting to think, I'm sick of all these extras getting picked off, how about someone I actually care about? And it happened! Even though he was about to give some exposition, I appreciate that. Will Poulter's character is certainly an antagonist, but not actually a villain. He has a decent point. I like that in an antagonist.

All in all, it's middle of the pack. I wish there was more maze action.

On 2/2/2021 at 9:21 PM, kiddo82 said:

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)

So I just finished the audio book (the Audible version narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, and the wonderful voice actress Katherine Kellgren) and unfortunately the movie just paled in comparison.  Poor Keanu is just out of his depth I wasn't crazy about Winona Ryder either, who also seemed miscast.  And then you have Anthony Hopkins coming off Silence of the Lambs given barely anything to do even though he's playing Abraham Van freaking Helsing.  Gary Oldman's Dracula didn't even register.  I didn't like

Hide contents

the connection between Mina and the Count that the film portrayed.  Just seemed kind of hokey that she's supposed to be the reincarnated version of his long dead wife.

My favorite scene was

Hide contents

Poor Lucy being creepy AF in her crypt before being offed for good by the guys.  I wish all three suitors had been a little more developed though.  I feel like we barely knew any of them.

As a straight up horror film it's not bad, but for what I heard was one of the more faithful Dracula adaptations, I was disappointed.  

On 2/19/2021 at 11:25 PM, Rushmoras said:

So, decided to actually watch Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)... and... LOL.. WTF did I watch... 😄

Felt more like a parody than Dracula Dead and Lovin' It years after was. I understand that you can't much do with the source material, because, it has barely anything in it (as I mentioned once in a book thread), and you have to take liberties in your adaptation like it or not, to add something more to the characters, but... the characters felt like they are a caricatures of their source material. I am not talking about changing part of the story, just characters in general. I don't know, if this was intentional or not, but most of the movie was hilarious in a bad way.

Also, yeah, it's R rated, I see, but... pick one direction: either it's horror, mild erotic or an action comedy. You can't have all of them in one film! What the hell actually...

6/10, just because Hopkin's character was an old creepy dude 😄

I made the mistake of reading Dracula before seeing Bram Stoker's Dracula in the theater and I came out of that going 'What the actual fuck what THAT?!' I was angry about it. My friend, who had seen it before, went with me and kept calling it 'My Left Tit.' I often default to that as well. Anytime Lucy was remotely around the influence of Dracula her tit would pop out. And don't even get me started on Wolf!Dracula fucking Lucy in the graveyard. I get that vampires became a means of expressing the repressed sexuality of the Victorian Era but... crimeny.

Poor Keanu was just terrible. I hate hate HATED the Mina/Vlad star-crossed lovers through time nonsense. The whole plotline of Vlad becoming Dracula because his wife committed suicide and was therefore cast out of heaven so he turned his back on God or whatever... NONE OF THAT IS IN THE BOOK!! You know what is in the book? Vampires are generally ugly, creepy and horrible. AND THEY EAT PEOPLE!

Basically, you know, vampires aren't heroes, y'all. Or sexy love interests.

Actually, the best retelling of the book other than and audible version would be to pull up Overly Sarcastic Productions' summary of it because it's a) spot on and b) hilarious. It also calls out some of the bullshit that has been tacked onto it over the years as well as the weird esoteric vampire lore that has been forgotten for some reason. Wild roses on a vampires coffin keeps them from coming out? That's cool! Why doesn't anyone use that anymore?

• Love 4

I stumbled upon this just the other night and boy did it have me on the edge of my seat. And makes me wish Hollywood wasn't so creatively bankrupt. Or maybe there aren't enough talented actors anymore. And I feel the same way about Bollywood. The generation that gave me Rishi Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan, Vinod Khanna in the early 70s were the last of the talented group. Add in Shabana Azmi, Zeenat Aman, Hema Malini, Rakhee, Rekha, off the top of my head.

1974's The Tamarind Seed. Now I always thought that Omar Sharif was a handsome man when I first saw him as Nicholas in that horrid Amy Irving mini-series, where she played the charlatan who tried to tell everyone that she was Anastasia Romanov in the early 80s.  But DAYUUUUUUUM. That one scene between his Feodr and Dame Juliet Andrews' Judith, toward the end? I had to grab my hand-held fan to cool myself off.

And I ended up...tolerating, if not respecting that ass Loder (Head of the War Home Office?) by the end, and how he neatly set the trap for the traitor. Because I totally thought he didn't know. Silly me.

And on another note, I'm re-watching the Thor and Avengers movies to catch myself up for when Loki premieres in 6 weeks' time, more or less.

What?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

And on another note, I'm re-watching the Thor and Avengers movies to catch myself up for when Loki premieres in 6 weeks' time, more or less.

What?

A number of weeks ago, I started watching the Marvel series in chronological order.  I watch one movie every Sunday and I've been through 12.  So far, my opinions about them have mostly remained the same with two exceptions:  I liked Thor: The Dark World and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 even less the second time through.  My unpopular opinion is not only not caring for GoTG 2, but, after recently watching it, I would put it lower on my list than The Dark World, even if my son made a good point about the growth of each character.

My friend has been wanting me to watch Emma (2020) forever, and I finally did tonight! While I’m not an Austen buff my any means, it won me over. It was so visually pleasing!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1

For the past few weeks didn't have time for any movies, sadly, but yesterday watched The Euquiliser (2014) with Denzel Washington. Wouldn't call it high-octane action as it was advertised once upon a time, but it was definitely entertaining, if, at times, predictable. Kinda in-between Jason Bourne and John Wick. 8/10

Taking Care of Business: I’ll admit, I only watched this was after seeing Jim Belushi’s lovely tribute to Charles Grodin on Twitter. It’s basically like Trading Places and Opportunity Knocks. Grodin once again plays a schmuck that gets repeatedly crapped with bad luck. Only in a movie can you wind up buddies with a guy who stole your identity. Anyway it’s dumb fun.

• Love 1

Speaking of stolen identities, I recently rewatched The Boys From Brazil and it was still good even though I knew the twists.

Laurence Olivier is incredible as a Simon Weisenthal-like character and Nazi hunter.

BoysBrazil1c.jpg.f982798fcdb217b6cf1937c4283164aa.jpg

Gregory Peck is Dr. Joseph Mengele who lives on a ranch in South America where several natives have odd blue eyes and various deformities.

BoysBrazil1ccc.jpg.66e5290f9f208a65fbf77cd7830be3e3.jpg

BoysBrazil1cc.jpg.4c7ce1e726fae89b32e28054d04ef403.jpg

I saw Ad Astra, then Solaris (2002), then Contact all for the first time.

I liked Contact the best out of all of them.

Ad Astra was the best visually, it has the advantage of being made 20 years later than the others.  But it was so scary for me!  I liked it the least.

Solaris was fine and you get to see a lot of Clooney's sexy body (LOL) but it wasn't really about space, in my opinion.

• Love 1

The Greatest Showman. No matter how many times I watch this movie Rewrite the Stars and Never Enough still make me cry. Despite its flaws with whitewashing  PT Barnum I still enjoy this movie.

• Love 7
(edited)

The Euquiliser 2 (2018) with Denzel Washington. Still as enjoyable as the first movie, however, almost half the movie passes till he gets to do his stuff, and the plot is kind of even more predictable then the previous movie. The only question left unanswered is

Spoiler

what organization was hunting former/present CIA operatives?

7.5/10

Edited by Rushmoras

Trainspotting (1996). Let me start by saying, I never watched this movie and I did not know what I was getting in to. Needless to say, I did not expect what I saw at all.

Spoiler

The whole movie is about life of a group of degenerate junkies looking for the next opportunity to score their next hit, and the only member from the group, who is not a junkie, is actually a deranged psychopath, who can go off at any second over the slightest of provocations.

In general, it was not a pleasant watch, however, the movie kept me nevertheless entertained throughout its runtime. And that's actually not a small feat, because I seldom get so much invested in to movies, but this one, yeah, I was invested from the get go till the end. So much, that I found myself cursing at the actions of the... I can't really say protagonists or main heroes, because that would be absurd, there's no such thing there... well, let's just say main characters. The movie at times was funny, but in such a way as after you snort or laugh, you immediately start to think: "Oh, shit, those poor people around them". And at times simply disgusting that I even found myself looking away from the screen, because... yeah.

But, since it garnered such a response from me, despite being such a hard watch... I'm gonna rate it 8/10.

42 minutes ago, Rushmoras said:

But, since it garnered such a response from me, despite being such a hard watch... I'm gonna rate it 8/10.

I'd have to watch it again - I haven't seen it since renting it on laserdisc (yes, seriously) - to assign that specific a rating, but I share the general sentiment of really liking it despite the utterly unlikable nature of its main characters and their circumstances.

Pulp Fiction (1994). Gonna start with... haven't watched any Quentin Tarantino movies (apart from snippets on TV many years ago), and this was the second one I watched this year (the first one was Reservoir Dogs). And... eh... it's not a masterpiece that everyone on social media proclaim it to be. I even don't know what it was really about - three or four disjointed storylines that in the end mesh-in-to-one, but do not mesh-in-to-one, just are in a background. Well, I liked Reservoir Dogs better. I rate this 7/10.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Pulp Fiction (1994). Gonna start with... haven't watched any Quentin Tarantino movies (apart from snippets on TV many years ago), and this was the second one I watched this year (the first one was Reservoir Dogs). And... eh... it's not a masterpiece that everyone on social media proclaim it to be. I even don't know what it was really about - three or four disjointed storylines that in the end mesh-in-to-one, but do not mesh-in-to-one, just are in a background. Well, I liked Reservoir Dogs better. I rate this 7/10.

I hated Pulp Fiction when I saw it.  I only watched it because Reservoir Dogs turned out to be so much better than I expected, and boy was I disappointed.  Pulp Fiction pretty much put me off Quentin Tarantino's movies for good.  I figure that Reservoir Dogs was just an aberation.

• Love 2

Ghost in the Shell (2017). Not really a fan of Japanese anime (only saw a handful of them) and my perception maybe would have changed about this movie, if I have watched the original source material, but I haven't so, I liked this movie. It ain't a masterpiece, however, it was loads better than Luc Besson's "Lucy", which more or less is in the same topic (with the same actress). And it made me want to one of these days actually see the original anime series of Ghost in the Shell; maybe they are loads better than the movie and the movie butchered everything, I don't know, but I liked it. 8/10

I went to an actual movie theater this weekend to watch the 25th anniversary showing of The Birdcage.  I mostly love this movie, but Val really pisses me off with his initial request that Armand and Albert not be themselves.  I don't blame Albert one bit for having his feelings hurt by that request.  Why should Senator Keeley's feelings matter more?  Nathan Lane, Robin Williams, and Hank Azaria are brilliant, though, and I love all the little touches, such as when Albert is strolling along the street, shopping, and all the vendors greet him by name.  I also love Robin Williams' striped linen suit he wears to the beach.

• Love 11

Rurouni Kenshin (2012). A movie about some 19th century Japan master-swordsman assassin type guy, who, after the war for restoration ended, just wanted to be left alone by the world, but the events forced him back in to action, just this time, instead of a normal type sword, he used an inverted type one (were blades are on the inside, not outside), so he would not kill anymore. In essence, a good premise, buuuuut, and here me out, this is based on an anime Samurai X (I watched it when I was a kid).

Now, being based on an anime is nothing to be shameful bout or a bad thing, but, if something works for an anime, it may not necessarily work for live action movie. I'm primarily talking about physics defying action scenes, using of supernatural-type psyche controlling techniques, one man versus an army etc. Seriously, these kinds of things does not let me give a higher score to it, even though, outside all of these things I could tell that the movie wanted to make itself seriously more or less.

Hmm... 6/10.

Boss Baby: Family Business: SHUT UP! it was free on Peacock and I was bored! Don’t you judge me!

Anyhoo, it silly but I have to admit I liked the bit of James Marsden singing “If You Want to Sing Out”. That was adorable.

Since yesterday was a holiday in Lithuania, decided to watch the second part of Rurouni Kenshin called Kyoto Inferno (2014). More or less the same gripes I had as with the first movie, but overall has a stronger narrative, which was kind of surprising. Also, yes, this movie's genre in my opinion is supposed to be fantasy, because, the main bad-guy got stabbed multiple times in a war and then was doused in gasoline and burned, but managed to survive that and is now years later walking in bandages, but overall those wounds did not hinder his movements at all, whereas, untitled characters die from one sword slash, and others, who are titled characters, only loose consciousness from a sword-slash (looking at you... um... Hiriko?)

6.5/10

I saw "Lansky" this week.  It's about Meyer Lansky, who was a pivotal figure in organized crime back in the heyday of organized crime.  I'd never heard of him before, but he was pals with Lucky Luciano and Bugsy Siegel.  Has anyone else seen it?  I have a couple of questions, notably, who was the man in the cowboy hat?

I'm watching Immortals. Wow this is terrible. Where do I start?

Henry Cavill does his usual pretty boy thing. I swear the man worries more about his abs than his acting. He obviously made a career by working out a lot but I will never get his appeal. He's always just kinda there.

How did Hyperion's slaves meet the oracles that he was looking for? How did his soldiers find them?

Why did the virgin Oracle sleep with Henry Cavill? Was it the overwhelming power of his abs?

How did the Stephen Dorff character change his mind about joining them? How did the priest without tongue end up with the oracles?

Those gods wear rather silly hats.

I'm not done yet but this is just terrible. 1/10

• Love 2

Watched Gandhi  again last night. Candice Bergen is absolutely stunning in her short role.

As I stated in another thread, Ben Kingsley absolutely OWNED the role and DESERVED the Oscar win.

I enjoyed how Attenborough used a good number of Bollywood  character actors. A couple even famous for playing villains, such as Khan’s Amrish Puri.

Though I wish the movie had covered or shown Gandhi with Subhash Chandra Bose and their disagreement over how to achieve Independence.

Attenborough spent over 20 years working on this movie and the care and respect he gave to the history and people is evident.

Definitely one of my top 10.

• Love 2

And with the third instalment of Rurouni Kenshin (The Legend Ends), which, surprisingly, came out in the same year the Part II came out, I finished the original trilogy. More or less everything's the same, but is probably the weakest out of three. And again with inconsistent deadly blows. I swear, the only reason why some of the blokes in the movie survive is because they are the main characters and nothing more, because other blokes are falling down left and right. 6/10.

Maybe, one day I'll be in a mood to watch the continuation live-action saga, but not now, that's for sure.

(edited)

Hail, Caesar! (2016)

The Coens are a bit of a blind spot for me.  I've seen the big ones (Fargo, No Country for Old Men, Big Lebowski) but not much else of theirs.  I know this is kind of their style but this movie seems like a collection of scenes more than a coherent point a to b story.  Can't beat the cast though even if most of them are basically doing cameos.  It's even hard for me to pick the standout.  (Okay, gun to my head its Ralph Fiennes, but it's by an eyelash.  Everyone seems like they're having a blast).  This falls under my theory that sometimes you just need to hire entertaining people and let them be entertaining.  It's a weird movie to judge because I'd definitely watch each individual vignette/subplot again but I don't know if I'd care to sit through the movie in it's entirely again.  And like what I know of a lot of Coen films, it's probably better upon subsequent viewings once you realize the plot doesn't matter.

Edited by kiddo82
  • Love 1

I had been itching to rewatch Legends of the Fall   so my Mom and I rewatched last nigh. Brad Pitt did “trashy beautiful” so well in the 1990s I swear. And the end when Alfred shoots the Sheriff and saves Col Ludlow & Tristian- brilliant. 

I also watched Chef this morning on Netflix. I thought it was going to be “disgruntled chef gets food truck and bonds with his son” but there was only 15min of that and a whole bunch of the protagonist being a man baby. 

• Love 3

Mississippi Masala (1991): Discovered this thanks to the AV Club’s When Romance Met Comedy Column. Not only is it a great romantic dramedy, it also takes a good look at colorism and how it affects everyone.

• Love 6

Change of Habit, 1969.  Elvis Presley, Mary Tyler Moore, et al.   1/10

Elvis plays a doctor, of all things, and Moore an undercover nun or some such.  The ridiculous plot includes Dr. Elvis's unusual treatment for autistic children. His theory is that autistic kids are just really, really pissed off, and if you let them scream long enough they'll get it out of their system.  Sure enough, his patient is miraculously cured and they hug it out. This was (mercifully) Elvis's last movie.

Songs featured: I honestly can't remember and only saw it 3 days ago.

Loving You 1957, is delightfully on the other end of the spectrum.  Stars Elvis with Lizabeth Scott and Wendell Corey.  8/10

One of Elvis's earliest and most charming films, before they became the slick cookie-cutter productions with ludicrous plots and  forgettable, generic music. 

Elvis is very young here and showed promise as an actor.  He pretty much is playing himself as 'Deke Rivers', a local kid who sings when he's not driving a delivery truck.  Liz Scott is a press agent/manager for band leader 'Tex' (Wendell Corey), but is quick to see how female fans swoon over Deke's good looks, dance moves, and rockabilly sound.  She works her ass off booking the band into small venues all over.  When some town councilmen try to ban Deke and his devil music, Liz fights for rock and roll as a 1st Amendment right and milks the publicity for all it's worth.

Their characters grow close, and it's nice to see the age gap (Scott was 35, Elvis 21) is not really an issue for a change. It never goes beyond a passionate kiss anyway, which she cuts short because it's just a bad idea to get that involved with her clients.

Songs featured: "Teddy Bear", "Loving You", "Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do", "Hot Dog" and "Mean Woman Blues".

elvis2.jpg.b3422389b880a81a03a8981f452f5327.jpg

Elvis1.jpg.b896adea8a66fe8742aceb309f8dafef.jpg

elvis2b.jpg.7be763191cd34e497c5b3751cadd94c7.jpg

Sadly in 1954 Lizabeth had been outed as gay by the sleazy tabloid Confidential.  She sued but lost, and gave Hollywood the finger after this film.  Wendell Corey was a raging alcoholic who died of a pickled liver at 54, and Elvis died on his bathroom floor at 42.  

On 7/10/2021 at 5:47 PM, supposebly said:

I'm watching Immortals. Wow this is terrible. Where do I start?

Henry Cavill does his usual pretty boy thing. I swear the man worries more about his abs than his acting. He obviously made a career by working out a lot but I will never get his appeal. He's always just kinda there.

How did Hyperion's slaves meet the oracles that he was looking for? How did his soldiers find them?

Why did the virgin Oracle sleep with Henry Cavill? Was it the overwhelming power of his abs?

How did the Stephen Dorff character change his mind about joining them? How did the priest without tongue end up with the oracles?

Those gods wear rather silly hats.

I'm not done yet but this is just terrible. 1/10

Agreed, this was a terrible movie.  Nothing about it really makes sense.  It's just pretty people in Greek costumes fighting enemies.

I want to say this was Henry Cavill's first movie in which he played the lead.  Henry Cavill was in good shape in this movie, but this movie preceded "Man of Steel" by a few years, which is the movie where he really got jacked.  I recall him saying that they made him shave his chest (I'm sure it was to show off the muscle) for this movie which he hated doing.  Somehow, Stephen Dorff wasn't forced to do the same, probably because "he's old".

Before Henry Cavill made "Immortals", he was in "The Tudors" on Showtime.  I thought he was excellent in that.  The first season of this show, I think it was obvious he was going to be poised for stardom.  He was easily the breakout character from the show on that season.  But I've always thought that Jonathan Rhys Meyers got jealous at all the attention his onscreen best friend was receiving, and demanded that Cavill's role be reduced.  Because he wasn't as prominent in the subsequent seasons.

• Love 2

Zombieland (2009). A light zombie-flick that's supposed to be comedy, but I haven't laughed once (or maybe my sense of humour is non-existent now, but I did laugh at a couple of Wandavision episodes so...). It was sort of entertaining watch, but

Spoiler

personally, never would have saved those two sisters after being deceived the third time by them. I know that J. Eisenberg's character was fascinated by E. Stone's character, but, come on, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me thrice...

6/10

• Love 1

I watched The Thief and the Cobbler on YouTube (both the Miramax and Recobbled cuts) and I so wish the movie had been released the way Richard Williams originally intended. The title characters are so much more engaging as mute characters and without the dumb voiceovers and without the superfluous musical numbers. Granted, there’s still blatant use of orientalist stereotypes, but the animation is spectacular and overlooking her horrible name, the Princess is pretty awesome: she’s smart, compassionate, and more or less rescues herself. Although it’s hard to watch without wondering if Disney stole some of this for Aladdin (or if these filmmakers stole from them).

On 7/25/2021 at 6:34 PM, Spartan Girl said:

Mississippi Masala (1991): Discovered this thanks to the AV Club’s When Romance Met Comedy Column. Not only is it a great romantic dramedy, it also takes a good look at colorism and how it affects everyone.

Where did you find it??? I read that same article.