Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E07: Hunt, Trap, Rape, And Release

• Start Topic

The Stabler episode has been moved to April. So, in its place, we see the return of another franchise character, Carolyn Barek, from Law & Order: Criminal Intent (Annabella Sciorra). Airing on February 18, 2021:

Benson teams up with Lt. Barek and the Bronx SVU to track down a serial rapist with victims in both boroughs.

• Love 1

I’m looking forward to this episode - the case sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing Barek again - the circumstances of Barek’s departure from Major Case on CI was never made clear, so I wonder how much light will be shed on what Barek’s been up to, and it was almost implied her and Logan didn’t part on good terms. I would love if they referenced Logan in this episode, but that’s probably asking too much from the current SVU writers.

• Love 3
On 2/9/2021 at 8:58 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I’m looking forward to this episode - the case sounds interesting and I look forward to seeing Barek again - the circumstances of Barek’s departure from Major Case on CI was never made clear, so I wonder how much light will be shed on what Barek’s been up to, and it was almost implied her and Logan didn’t part on good terms. I would love if they referenced Logan in this episode, but that’s probably asking too much from the current SVU writers.

I am a little more skeptical than that. I have a feeling Barek's appearance and contribution to episode will only be superficial at best. I think the main focus will be on that other detective from the Bronx who goes nuclear in the preview. Remember when they hinted about Warner's appearance on a previous episode in a preview clip? I think many besides myself, thought she was suppose to be an intricate part of the investigation. All she was, was a brief appearance at the beginning. It sure would be nice if they could fill in that little unknown gap concerning Logan and Barek, but that would be taking away face time and dialogue from the rest of the cast.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SuzieQ said:

Since when is Benson a Captain?  I almost fell off the couch when they called her Captain!

If I recall, she was promoted a year or two ago.

Nice to see Annabella Sciorra/Carolyn Barek again! Also glad to see Fin in this one. Amanda still bugs me big time. Shrug.

The back and forth was like a yo-yo between the Bronx and Manhattan, but I appreciate TPTB tried to not make things lopsided.

The ending was as I suspected. Although I don't buy Barek not having an inkling. She was a very intelligent detective. She worked for the freakin' FBI, if I remember correctly, before Major Case. But it's typical these days in the franchise, so...whatever as far as her being so slow to catch on.

• Love 9

This was another decent episode, despite being predictable, I saw where they were going with the Bronx sergeant being a copycat rapist pretty quickly. 

This episode shifted the focus to the investigation part of the show after 3 courtroom heavy episodes in a row, I liked having a classic serial rapist case with a good investigation even though it was ultimately predictable. 

Fin had some good scenes in this episode, it was nice that he got a meatier role and I liked his concern for both Rollins and Kat. 

Garland was also really good - it made sense for him to get a heavy role given the nature of the case and the turf war between Manhattan/Bronx, and he had some nice scenes and I really like his style as Chief, he’s rather quiet and low key but still authoritative, and I liked how involved he was. 

It was really nice seeing Barek again, it was good continuity and I liked seeing what she was up to now. She even mentioned Goren, did anyone catch that?!! Loved that continuity, something which SVU usually isn’t good at. 

Rollins was pretty good as well, I’m no fan of her at all but she did a good job in this episode staying professional and reeling in the sergeant. 

Each detective had a nice role, but my main issue with this episode is how little of Carisi there was. He barely had any screentime or lines, although there wasn’t much of a role for an ADA in this case, and Carisi was the main character in the last 3 episodes. It still would’ve been nice to have included Carisi at the end in Garland’s office telling them the rapists were in Rikers and he would put them away for a long time instead of Garland saying so. 

SVU has started the season with 7 decent episodes in a row, which is something of a miracle for modern day SVU!! However I’m afraid the streak will end next week as the promo didn’t look promising, it looked like one of those “very special” PSA episodes where St Olivia helps victims get closure from an assault and that’s it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid SVU’s run of solid episodes will end next week.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, CSunshine76 said:

I called the Sergeant as the perp pretty much from the get. I hate it when the cases are that damn predictable. I want to be entertained...would some suspense kill the writers?

Yep. Everyone who knew the cop was a copycat, raise your hand...

....Right then, all of us!

• LOL 7
  • Love 6

I liked this episode!

I didn't "make" the perp immediately, but when the third or fourth witness quoted the perp as saying If you tell the police, I'll know that sealed that it was a cop or a former one or something.

The other witnesses quoted him as saying If you go to the police, I'll kill you which is different.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 8
5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

This was another decent episode, despite being predictable, I saw where they were going with the Bronx sergeant being a copycat rapist pretty quickly. 

This episode shifted the focus to the investigation part of the show after 3 courtroom heavy episodes in a row, I liked having a classic serial rapist case with a good investigation even though it was ultimately predictable. 

Fin had some good scenes in this episode, it was nice that he got a meatier role and I liked his concern for both Rollins and Kat. 

Garland was also really good - it made sense for him to get a heavy role given the nature of the case and the turf war between Manhattan/Bronx, and he had some nice scenes and I really like his style as Chief, he’s rather quiet and low key but still authoritative, and I liked how involved he was. 

It was really nice seeing Barek again, it was good continuity and I liked seeing what she was up to now. She even mentioned Goren, did anyone catch that?!! Loved that continuity, something which SVU usually isn’t good at. 

Rollins was pretty good as well, I’m no fan of her at all but she did a good job in this episode staying professional and reeling in the sergeant. 

Each detective had a nice role, but my main issue with this episode is how little of Carisi there was. He barely had any screentime or lines, although there wasn’t much of a role for an ADA in this case, and Carisi was the main character in the last 3 episodes. It still would’ve been nice to have included Carisi at the end in Garland’s office telling them the rapists were in Rikers and he would put them away for a long time instead of Garland saying so. 

SVU has started the season with 7 decent episodes in a row, which is something of a miracle for modern day SVU!! However I’m afraid the streak will end next week as the promo didn’t look promising, it looked like one of those “very special” PSA episodes where St Olivia helps victims get closure from an assault and that’s it. I hope I’m wrong but I’m afraid SVU’s run of solid episodes will end next week.

I agree with you about Garland, he has a presence and he commands respect. Benson seems very deferential to him and I like that. I hope they continue to keep him involved on a consistent basis. Always got love for Fin but it's it's crazy to see that Ice-T is the father figure now. Barek is a blast from the past. Predictable as it was I still enjoyed this episode. 

• Love 7

The Good:
It was nice to see Barek again and they didn't totally trash the character.
Good to see them keeping up a focus on the whole spectrum of sex crimes. It's nice to see a good old fashioned serial push in rapist,
Also it is good to see them continuing to give everyone a role and keeping Benson as a leader rather than as a superhero with a few sidekicks.
Garland. Always nice to see they haven't forgotten how to write an effective but subtle and realistic CO. He has a nice presence and really adds something. Plus he never acts like he's Benson's BFF or subordinate which is refreshing.
Nothing about anyone's family or home life! Yeah a few references, but that's OK in my book.

The Bad:
The masks still. I wish they would either commit or give us a line about how the NYPD has been vaccinated in  the L&Overse so we could stick to extras and those with no lines wearing masks to show us it's taking place in the present. I'm not expecting realism, just some sort of storytelling logic to when masks are worn like most shows.
The ultimate bad guy was more than a little predictable as have been mentioned. One of the things that still grates about the new scaled down Benson centric format is they don't have the resources to give us red herrings so at least there's some suspense.
I'm not sure if it was the editing or the performance but Rollins reaction was ridiculously OTT when they crashed through the gates.
The ending was kinda meh and missed a golden opportunity - have the mentee shoot copycat Sarge and say she saw him raising his gun while everyone reluctantly backs her up. You would have thematic resonance and something much more meaty than her calling the squad rats. I mean if you're not going to come out and make it explicit about the problems of "thin blue line culture" and good cops protecting bad why not go for something more dramatically ambitious?
Next week's teaser. Doesn't look good. But hopefully that's just a matter of the NBC promo monkeys trying to overhype.

Overall this was another solid episode where the problems are mostly a matter of missing some opportunities for true excellence. It was a B/B- that could have risen to an A with just a little bit more polish.

• Love 5

I was watching with half an eye while doing other stuff.  At the end, did I really hear correctly that Kat would be a pariah because she helped bring down a cop rapist?  Come on, surely the blue line would not extend to that.  Ugh.  They said if she called for backup no one would show up?  That's insane, and would also put the public at risk.

• Love 8

14 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Amanda still bugs me big time.

What bugs me the most about her is the only part of her face that moves is her chin when she talks...for the love of everything Holy, Giddish, lay off the fillers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
56 minutes ago, candall said:

What did she say about Goren?  I didn't catch it and I'm happy to have any little reference to Goren in 2021 world.  I miss that guy. 

Barek said something like “Goren used to say” and made a statement about how detectives would gain the upper hand on perps.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
29 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Barek said something like “Goren used to say” and made a statement about how detectives would gain the upper hand on perps.

lol, sounds like the same reference his original partner (the one who's w FBI now) made.  I forget her name - but she used a Goren interrogation technique (I think she bent her head down sides ways to the perp) and then she commented to Olivia  where she learned it.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

lol, sounds like the same reference his original partner (the one who's w FBI now) made.  I forget her name - but she used a Goren interrogation technique (I think she bent her head down sides ways to the perp) and then she commented to Olivia  where she learned it.  

Alexandra Eames. And she wasn't with the FBI on her visit, but with the anti-terrorism unit.  🙂  I did like her using Goren's moves and interrogation technique.

And Barek said, "Goren used to say 'mistakes are our signature'." And I noticed Barek sort of leaned as she quoted him, too.  🙂

• Love 9
4 hours ago, kicotan said:

What bugs me the most about her is the only part of her face that moves is her chin when she talks...for the love of everything Holy, Giddish, lay off the fillers.

Also, as a recovering alcoholic she needs to lay off the booze.

What was up with her downing shots while trying to arrest the suspected rapist?

• Love 4

I liked seeing Barek, and Annabella Sciorra, again.  I usually don't read the episode descriptions beforehand but stumbled across this one a few hours before I watched.  I wish I had been totally "unspoiled" because I might well have squealed, but ah well.  I'm with the room overall: it was a predictable episode, but well presented.

1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

And Barek said, "Goren used to say 'witnesses are our signature'." And I noticed Barek sort of leaned as she quoted him, too.  🙂

"Our mistakes are our signature," right?  Sorry! 🙂  It was a nice moment.  I don't recall whether we actually heard him say that on CI, but it sounded like something he would have said.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I liked seeing Barek, and Annabella Sciorra, again.  I usually don't read the episode descriptions beforehand but stumbled across this one a few hours before I watched.  I wish I had been totally "unspoiled" because I might well have squealed, but ah well.  I'm with the room overall: it was a predictable episode, but well presented.

"Our mistakes are our signature," right?  Sorry! 🙂  It was a nice moment.  I don't recall whether we actually heard him say that on CI, but it sounded like something he would have said.

YES! Edited my post.

• Love 2

This was a pretty good episode, its been awhile since we got a serial rapist case and after so many courtroom cases in a row, I am glad to get back out into the field again. I spent about half the episode trying to decide if the Bronx cop was just going to be an obsessed cop who would murder the rapist or if he would be a copycat, but by the halfway point it was pretty obvious. They have done stories like that a few times, detectives starring into the abys for too long, but it was still a decent story. I can get the younger Bronx cop being upset by Kat working her to get information and her being horrified by her mentor being a rapist, but her giving the thin blue line speech seemed kind of ridiculous. Being an actual serial rapist is a pretty big freaking deal, this isnt exactly the same thing as moving evidence or any of the corruption you normally hear about that cops have let slide in this franchise. I can imagine that most cops would be alright with this guy being behind bars, even if he is a cop. I don't think Kat is going to get a lot of pushback for this one. 

I was glad to see the lack of personal drama and Taking It Personally plots without any soundbite dialogue or lectures. I never really watched Law and Order CI but its nice that they're bringing in characters from all around the franchise and that she wasnt trashed or anything. Its always so annoying when they bring characters back after being gone just to make them look bad or kill them off for some cheap pathos, so I am glad that Barek made it out alright. She seems pretty cool. 

I found the ending a bit rushed, I would have liked to hear a bit more about how the cop ended up this way and get some more closure for the case in general. I also find it hilarious how often they put Rollins in the "undercover" or "try to get the secret confession" part, she is really bad at it. Its like she is about to talk the suspect to speak more loudly and into her collar every time. 

I thought the bit with the one victim who didnt go to the ER after being assaulted due to COVID was interesting, I like the idea of exploring how a lot of cases got lost in the chaos of the early pandemic and that some victims didnt want to risk being in public to pursue their case. Then the cops are trying to catch up on this backlog and realize that some cases that could have been easily solved before have gotten cold, maybe for another episode. Of course, them talking about COVID just highlights them continuing to be super inconsistent on the mask thing, and it was especially bad this week. No one was wearing masks, except for random background people on the streets, just pick a lane, show. Wear masks or give a reason why you aren't.  

Some really good scenes for Garland, I think he has been a great addition to the show. 

• Love 4

This is going to sound a little weird, but... The first scene where the vic has short reddish hair and is telling her mom that she had had a couple drinks... well, I thought it was a flashback, that we were looking at Season 1 Benson, and we were finally going to delve into her drinking. 

Totally agree that we could spot the rapist immediately  — and surprise, surprise, he wasn’t played by Christopher McDonald, Bruce McGill, or Dylan Baker. 

• Love 1

I hated having Barek quoting Goren. Goren wasn't her partner, Logan was. She obviously knew him but it would have made more sense for her to reference Mike if she was going to recall her time at Major Case. 

• Love 2
On 2/19/2021 at 7:05 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

liked seeing Anabella Sciorra. I've always liked her as an actress and I loved her when Barek was on CI.

I didn't love her on CI, if only because it felt a lot like the scripts were written for Goren and they just crossed out his name and wrote in "Barek."  And is it just me or could Anabella Sciorra and Julia Ormond almost be twins now?  They look so alike to me.  

I didn't love the episode, if only because I felt like the CI version of Barek would have seen through her investigator's actions pretty quickly.   

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

I didn't love the episode, if only because I felt like the CI version of Barek would have seen through her investigator's actions pretty quickly.

I said the same thing above. But at least Carolyn Barek wasn't killed off and didn't pull plugs on dying babies like poor Barba, so she seemed to come out of this okay enough.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Route66 said:

I hated having Barek quoting Goren. Goren wasn't her partner, Logan was. She obviously knew him but it would have made more sense for her to reference Mike if she was going to recall her time at Major Case. 

Barek did work with Goren though as they were on the same squad and I just appreciated the reference to a beloved character - I also liked how everyone apparently knew who she was talking about - Goren must be a legend in universe, which makes sense. 

I agree that Barek seemed slow to pick up on her sergeant’s behavior, but I guess no one wants to think that someone they work so closely with is a rapist. I didn’t think they trashed Barek though, and it was nice to see her again. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Route66 said:

As was mentioned, Logan's reaction to Barek's name at the beginning of S6, after Barek left, was sort of weird/strange. (And still unexplained.) Based on the way Chris Noth had Logan react, as much as it doesn't make sense, it seemed like Barek leaving wasn't on the best of terms, perhaps. If indeed that is true - and we still don't know and never will! - it may make sense that Barek referenced Goren instead.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, Xeliou66 said:

I agree with your post, except for the last paragraph.  I'm late to watching SVU last week and this, but I'll see how it goes.  Hope you're wrong too but you're right about this ep!

On 2/18/2021 at 10:54 PM, The Wild Sow said:

Yep. Everyone who knew the cop was a copycat, raise your hand...

....Right then, all of us!

No crystal ball or turban required!

On 2/20/2021 at 8:57 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Barek did work with Goren though as they were on the same squad and I just appreciated the reference to a beloved character - I also liked how everyone apparently knew who she was talking about - Goren must be a legend in universe, which makes sense. 

I agree that Barek seemed slow to pick up on her sergeant’s behavior, but I guess no one wants to think that someone they work so closely with is a rapist. I didn’t think they trashed Barek though, and it was nice to see her again. 

No doubt Bobby Goren is a legend.  He was unique.  Loved Annabella Sciorra then and now.  Thank God she made it through this ep unscathed with reputation still intact.

• Love 3