Type keyword(s) to search

Miranda vs. Call Me Kat: Why Are There Cats in the Joke Shop?

SoMuchTV
  • Start Topic

Call Me Kat is based on a British TV series.  From Wikipedia:

"Miranda is a British television sitcom written by and starring comedian Miranda Hart. It originally aired on BBC Two from 9 November 2009 and later on BBC One. Developed from Hart's semi-autobiographical BBC Radio 2 comedy Miranda Hart's Joke Shop (2008), the situation comedy revolves around socially inept Miranda, who frequently finds herself in awkward situations. The show features actors Sarah Hadland, Tom Ellis, Patricia Hodge, Sally Phillips, James Holmes and Bo Poraj. It was taped in front of live audiences at the BBC Television Centre and The London Studios.

Receiving positive reviews from television critics, Miranda won a Royal Television Society award and gained several BAFTA TV Award nominations. The series has since been regularly repeated on British television and is available in the United States through Hulu."

Several people have made references and comparisons in the individual episode threads so far, but this would be a place for more general discussion.

I'll start - between watching eps 1&2 and ep 3, I binged the whole Miranda series.  I'm not sure it needed to be remade, but at least now I have a better feeling for where they're coming from and where they're trying to go.  Miranda is so over-the-top with the physical humor and cringe-worthy moments, that once I got into it I was willing to just go with it.  A lot of that isn't going to translate well to Kat.  We'll see if it finds its own way.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

I'll binge it all the way through just for Tom Ellis.

He's a cutie but his babyface made him look so much younger than Miranda to me.  I looked them up and the actors are almost six years apart.  I though they were implying they were about the same age, since they were friends from "uni", but now I'm thinking it might work if he was an 18-year-old freshman and she was a 24-year-old grad student, who had feelings back in the day that were borderline inappropriate, but 10-15 years later, totally go-for-it-able.

10 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

He's a cutie but his babyface made him look so much younger than Miranda to me.  I looked them up and the actors are almost six years apart.  I though they were implying they were about the same age, since they were friends from "uni", but now I'm thinking it might work if he was an 18-year-old freshman and she was a 24-year-old grad student, who had feelings back in the day that were borderline inappropriate, but 10-15 years later, totally go-for-it-able.

They were both supposed to be 35 in the first season. It’s mentioned in the marriage pact episode. 

4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'll start - between watching eps 1&2 and ep 3, I binged the whole Miranda series.  I'm not sure it needed to be remade, but at least now I have a better feeling for where they're coming from and where they're trying to go.  Miranda is so over-the-top with the physical humor and cringe-worthy moments, that once I got into it I was willing to just go with it.  A lot of that isn't going to translate well to Kat.  We'll see if it finds its own way.

I agree. I also think the Miranda plots flowed more organically making the more absurd moments work. It was almost more stream of consciousness then what Call Me Kat is doing.

The Vacation episode is a perfect example. For Miranda the audience follows her through the story and you see exactly how and why she ends up in a local hotel. With Kat we just see her suddenly checking into a local hotel. Miranda chose every step and Kat just ends up there mostly as the result of other people choices. Both plots are absurd but one works because you understand the screwy logic while the other is just confusing. Same with the posing as a expert plot. We see and are told every weird step with Miranda (pants press, her logic for wearing a suit to diner, mishearing a name, etc) but with Kat they take the shortcut of just having her lie for food. Miranda feels organic and Kat feels labored. 

40 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

11 minutes ago, Dani said:

They were both supposed to be 35 in the first season. It’s mentioned in the marriage pact episode.

Oh you're right I remember that now.  I'm afraid I'm getting into fanfic fantasies...

• LOL 1

I love Miranda. So funny. By the end of the show when everyone is waving goodbye I feel like I have just been to a party with them. I don't want them to leave. Such Fun! There are some differences that make the format better for Miranda. First she is good at physical comedy, which is a gift. She writes her show so she knows what she can do and what works for her. Miranda was a stand up comedian, which is a skill set that Mayim doesn't have. We immediately knew who her people were. The cast is wonderful. Miranda's humor is self deprecating. The British (at least when this was filmed) do not get upset with making fun of a tall and socially awkward woman. 

Call me Kat has a harder time with making fun of Mayim. Kat is a bit overweight and with all of the cries for body positivity no one would accept making fun of her weight or body shaming her. I love when Miranda responds to a comment with the roll of an eye or comment directed towards us. She is actually responding the way I am responding to the comments being made to her. In my opinion Mayim needs to break a bit before she looks at the camera. The last show she was speaking and turned her head to the camera and kept talking. No break in tone or emotion. I do not love the cast of the show. Yes to Leslie. No to Swoozie. I will keep watching for a couple of more episodes. 

Edited by NoThyme
  • Love 3

Does anyone know if CmK is going to do the short seasons like Miranda?  It’s not typical for American shows, I know it is standard for British shows.  So far all 3 episodes of CmK mirror Miranda season 1.  I had a way easier time with CmK after I found out it was based on Miranda, which I had seen yeas ago.  I don’t know what they will do if they try to go away from the Miranda premise with additional episodes.  

On 1/16/2021 at 1:04 PM, NeenerNeener said:

I'm watching Miranda now, first to see if the original British version is better than the American remake and second because Tom Ellis is in it.  So far they're equally cringey. 

9 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

Season/Series 2 of Miranda is getting funnier. If Kat follows their plots I hope it lasts long enough for the "keeping up with the 20-something friend" episode.

This kind of matches up with my experience. The same poster found Miranda “cringey” but by the next season was enjoying an episode that was just over the top silly (to be clear I enjoyed it as well). Will Kat live up to that?  Kind of hard to imagine at this point but I’m okay with waiting to see. 

3 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Does anyone know if CmK is going to do the short seasons like Miranda?  It’s not typical for American shows, I know it is standard for British shows.  So far all 3 episodes of CmK mirror Miranda season 1.  I had a way easier time with CmK after I found out it was based on Miranda, which I had seen yeas ago.  I don’t know what they will do if they try to go away from the Miranda premise with additional episodes.  

I doubt short seasons would be what they'd do for a network show.

On 1/16/2021 at 4:56 PM, Dani said:

The Vacation episode is a perfect example. For Miranda the audience follows her through the story and you see exactly how and why she ends up in a local hotel.

I totally agree with your whole post. The Miranda vacation episode is so well crafted, with so many details fitting together perfectly, while the Kat episode seemed like a random assortment of events. For example, one of the reasons Miranda decides to go on vacation in the first place is because a woman comes into her store and humble-brags about how she's too busy with her fabulous career and family to go on vacation, unlike a single person who can fly off somewhere on a whim. Miranda takes this as a personal challenge and then through a series of ridiculous events winds up impersonating a business expert at her local hotel. The twist is that the expert she's impersonating turns out to be the same woman who came into her store at the start of the episode. It was hilarious and really well done.

On 1/17/2021 at 8:13 AM, NeenerNeener said:

Season/Series 2 of Miranda is getting funnier.

I agree with this in general, but as much as I love Miranda, there are a few things in the later part of the show that still make me cringe. First is the recurring appearance of the customer who constantly gets dragged into Miranda and Stevie's schemes against his will. It was funny the first time (and maybe the second), but the joke it went on too long IMHO. Second, when Miranda starts dating the journalist (Mike?) there are several times when she acts like a complete buffoon, to an embarrassingly high degree, in front of him and a room full of people, and his response is to calmly ask her to be his girlfriend and tell her that he loves her. This may have worked with Gary (Tom Ellis), who "gets" her and is equally dorky at times, but Mike is portrayed as the "straight man" in this farce, so it's not believable to me that he would react that way to such over the top behavior.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, Cherpumple said:

I totally agree with your whole post. The Miranda vacation episode is so well crafted, with so many details fitting together perfectly, while the Kat episode seemed like a random assortment of events. For example, one of the reasons Miranda decides to go on vacation in the first place is because a woman comes into her store and humble-brags about how she's too busy with her fabulous career and family to go on vacation, unlike a single person who can fly off somewhere on a whim. Miranda takes this as a personal challenge and then through a series of ridiculous events winds up impersonating a business expert at her local hotel. The twist is that the expert she's impersonating turns out to be the same woman who came into her store at the start of the episode. It was hilarious and really well done.

This comment made me realize that a show is more than the sum of its parts.  This show has all the parts of the original but they don't add up to anything as cohesive and funny as the original.

I feel like Mayim's character is like "I'm kooky and weird but aren't I still great?", while Miranda's was "I'm desperate and odd but I can't help myself - oops, there I go again, oh how mortifying".  I don't think Mayim's character is self-deprecating enough.  And it may not be Mayim's fault completely because she was good at self-deprecation with her Amy character.  I think the scripts are failing her.

Also, most British humor relies on very eccentric and flighty characters, and I don't think Mayim's is eccentric or flighty enough.  And I think some of that is Mayim's fault.

For example, I could totally imagine Miranda Hart playing a role similar to John Cleese's in "Fawlty Towers", but I don't think Mayim could pull that level of eccentric and crazy off and still be funny.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I’m four episodes in on Kat now, and if I could pick one more thing for them to borrow from Miranda, it would be putting the actors’ names on the screen when they wave at the end!  Especially the guest stars, who tend to be sort of familiar but not quite recognizable to me. 

• Love 5

Bear with...Bear with...Bear with...

Just finished the first ep of the second season.  It's what I call, markedly superior to CMK.  Bless Mayim's little heart, but she doesn't have the physicality or the chops that Miranda does, and the supporting cast is fine but not strong enough to cover for her.  I'm not optimistic about the future of the show.  

Back to Miranda, I actually thought that Gary might have been written off. Glad that he came back.

...Done.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

I've been rewatching Miranda the past few days.  Oh how I love this show.  It also made me realize a few other things that are missing from CMK.  

One thing that was reinforced was something that was mentioned in the S01.E04: Therapy thread.  Miranda's asides to the camera happened more often and more organically than on this show.  She did a great job of making it seem like she was talking to a friend (us) as opposed to the audience.  Or even, arguably, a mirror. That opened up for not only direct camera-talk-tos but a subtle eye roll here and there in our direction until she went back to continuing what she was doing.   Probably the closest to doing something like it was a mockumentary where the characters weren't addressing the audience but rather the camera/interviewers they knew where right there.

I think another drawback is that I think Mayim wants to have Kat be more secure in who she is.  Does anyone else get that vibe?  Part of the absolute delight in Miranda is how she captured that awkward girl feeling that I so identified with. The part of me that knows I shouldn't say or do something yet do it anyway or who wishes I would have shut up about five sentences earlier. Or the part of me that thinks something is really cool or good and then no one agrees with me and sometimes I'll just back off the opinion instead of trying to keep defending it because I know that any attempt to defend it will just be awkward and make it all seem weirder.  I'd rather just privately love it than try to convince others it's good. 

That doesn't mean that character can't also be confident and put together--they just have a variety of food-in-mouth syndrome.  

• Love 3

I really wanted this show to work. What I did notice is that Miranda has a large face and big eyes. When she is about to roll her eyes or even speak to us the camera generally goes in for a close up. It is really easy to see her side glances and eye rolls etc. Mayim has small eyes also squints a bit at times which makes it harder to see her eye rolls or side glances. 

For those that watched all 3 season of Miranda the final 2 episodes are found on YouTube. I can't find them on Hulu, did any of you? The final shows are a 2 part Christmas special. A few interviews with the cast about the show ending on YouTube as well. 

Edited by NoThyme
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, NoThyme said:

For those that watched all 3 season of Miranda the final 2 episodes are found on YouTube. I can't find them on Hulu, did any of you? The final shows are a 2 part Christmas special. 

There on Amazon prime video. 

On 1/28/2021 at 2:26 AM, Door County Cherry said:

I think another drawback is that I think Mayim wants to have Kat be more secure in who she is.  Does anyone else get that vibe?  Part of the absolute delight in Miranda is how she captured that awkward girl feeling that I so identified with.

I just made a comment about this in the Cake thread, but I noted it as a plus not a drawback, lol. I generally love Miranda's awkwardness, but sometimes I wish she could be more direct, especially with Gary. Although, sometimes she doesn't get enough credit for being direct, because the people around her like her mother and Tilly tend to steamroll over her, no matter what she says. I think this change works well though, because it's better suited to Mayim's acting style and personality, as well as with Kat's backstory of being a high achiever- earning a PhD and working in academia before opening the cat cafe. Come to think of it, I don't think we ever found out what Miranda did before opening the joke shop, which she seems to have done right before the start of the show. They certainly go out of their way to show us that she's hopeless at "regular" jobs, so what was she doing in the decade or so since university? 

• Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 11:26 PM, Door County Cherry said:

I think another drawback is that I think Mayim wants to have Kat be more secure in who she is.  Does anyone else get that vibe?  Part of the absolute delight in Miranda is how she captured that awkward girl feeling that I so identified with.

I think they are trying to do the same thing with Kat but are failing because we are not in Kat’s head they way we were with Miranda. Those awkward moments were when Miranda used the camera asides most effectively. It really showed for me when she rambled about volunteering for the police and ended confronted Max about what she overheard. There needed to be a “what am I doing” moment pulling the audience in. 
I also feel like it shows that not having an equivalent to Stevie really hurts the show. Kat doesn’t have anyone that she gets real with the way Miranda did with the audience and with Stevie. 

21 minutes ago, Dani said:

I also feel like it shows that not having an equivalent to Stevie really hurts the show. Kat doesn’t have anyone that she gets real with the way Miranda did with the audience and with Stevie. 

I've watched the first season and a half of Miranda recently and one thing that struck me is how pretty much Steve, Gary and Clive all seemed to just get Miranda. They rarely judged her beyond normal friendship judging.  Gary, Stevie and Miranda kind of spoke the same language deep down and so they had a lot of fun together. 

• Love 6
On 1/29/2021 at 9:07 AM, NoThyme said:

For those that watched all 3 season of Miranda the final 2 episodes are found on YouTube. I can't find them on Hulu, did any of you? The final shows are a 2 part Christmas special. A few interviews with the cast about the show ending on YouTube as well. 

Oh I feel for the people who think it ends with the cliffhanger. 

But you can find it on Prime, as said above, under the title "Miranda Christmas 2014."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Figure this is the right place to post this: "Miranda's top tips to survive lockdown!" Fun.

Thanks for this.  Spirits lifted!

Kat will never be as funny as Miranda IMHO.  Miranda is a natural and an original.

• Love 5
On 1/28/2021 at 2:26 AM, Door County Cherry said:

I think another drawback is that I think Mayim wants to have Kat be more secure in who she is.  Does anyone else get that vibe?  Part of the absolute delight in Miranda is how she captured that awkward girl feeling that I so identified with. The part of me that knows I shouldn't say or do something yet do it anyway or who wishes I would have shut up about five sentences earlier. Or the part of me that thinks something is really cool or good and then no one agrees with me and sometimes I'll just back off the opinion instead of trying to keep defending it because I know that any attempt to defend it will just be awkward and make it all seem weirder.  I'd rather just privately love it than try to convince others it's good. 

That doesn't mean that character can't also be confident and put together--they just have a variety of food-in-mouth syndrome.  

I know, like the times Miranda would avoid admitting something or saying something direct at all costs to the extent of making herself look like a complete slapstick fool in order to avoid it?  Her attempts to avoid looking weird only made her look ten times weirder.  Those were some of the funniest parts of the show that having a "more secure" version of her character lacks completely.

10 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Figure this is the right place to post this: "Miranda's top tips to survive lockdown!" Fun.

That was so worth it, thank you for posting it!  It made me remember what a genius at slapstick Miranda is.  I don't think Mayim could live up to that and whoever's writing for the show would not live up to it either.

• Love 5
On 2/2/2021 at 4:18 PM, Yeah No said:

It made me remember what a genius at slapstick Miranda is. 

Yes, and it made me remember how great the supporting cast was! I think that's my biggest issue with CmK - the supporting characters are just one-note, stock sitcom characters. On Miranda, they all had fun personalities and quirks of their own. Even Clive at the restaurant and the recurring customer had more personality than what the characters on CmK are being given.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, Nordly Beaumont said:

Yes, and it made me remember how great the supporting cast was! I think that's my biggest issue with CmK - the supporting characters are just one-note, stock sitcom characters. On Miranda, they all had fun personalities and quirks of their own. Even Clive at the restaurant and the recurring customer had more personality than what the characters on CmK are being given.

This is so true!  Stevie was a gem and likeable.  This Randi CmK character is unlikable and grating.

• Love 3

I just finished watching Miranda thanks to it being mentioned here. I loved it. I'm trying to like CMK, but it's just not popping for me yet. I loved Mayim, Leslie, and Swoosie in other roles. I feel like they deserve better. It's interesting to watch a British sitcom. They're meaner than and not as politically correct as American ones. I noticed Miranda has books. So that's what's next. 

• Love 1

I originally posted this in one of the episode threads, now I realize it's more appropriate for this thread.

I've already gone through Miranda's three seasons three times already, so for me the the biggest missed opportunities are the relationships that Miranda had.  Kat needs a bestie, a Stevie, someone a little more tightly wound than Kat, who can also be competitive with Kat.  Kat's mother needs to be more intrusive, and have more of Penny's tics (what I call, such fun).  Kat needs a real frenemy like Tillie.  Tillie called her Queen Kong, Tara calls Kat something innocuous like Kittycat.

However, I do love the waving from all the actors at the close of the show.  Seems to capture the whimsy that was Miranda.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1

Thank you to one and all who tipped me off that Miranda exists. I’ve just finished season 2 and am loving it! 

I hope that CMK can find it’s way. I now feel the same as I did when the American version of The Office started. 

• Love 4
On 3/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I got a chuckle out of Kat Episode 10 with the reference to the joke shop down the street (it had gone out of business).

It would've been funnier if they had mentioned a going-out-of-business sale featuring whoopie cushions, joy buzzers and penis pasta.

• Love 1

I keep watching this show hoping that it will somehow turn out to be good at some point. This hasn't happened and I don't know if it's coming back. although the final episode of this season sets up a reset.  Good.

My biggest problem with the show from the beginning has always been  that it doesn't seem like it's actually about a cat rescue at all.  Kat herself has an apartment full of cat decorated stuff - but doesn't herself have even one single solitary pet cat!  And nobody else on the show has a cat either!  Why in the hell are they running a cat cafe??!!!??  They don't do any of the things a cat cafe/rescue would do: interview potential adopters, spend endless hours taking photos and videos to put on the cafe's social media page, wrangle volunteers who may or may not have a gift for dealing with cats and/or people,  "customers" who never buy anything but hang out all day mooning over the cats, etc. And shutting down the cafe is NOT something you can just do suddenly - all those animals have to be rehomed somewhere - again, not mentioned on the show, probably not even thought about.

If a REAL cat cafe was given a huge rent increase that threatened its continued existence, the crazy cat people of Louisville would have made Nick the most hated man in the state of Kentucky within 24 hours.

I don't know if Mayim likes cats or not, but her writers clearly aren't interested in them.  I love Mayim who seems to be a bubbly unsinkable Theater Kid at heart, like the rest of the cast.  Why didn't they just have her co-own the bar with the open mike, or run some kind of community theater?

• Love 3
10 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

They don't do any of the things a cat cafe/rescue

I hate to nitpick, buuuuut the name of the business is Kat's Cat Cafe, not Kat's Cat Cafe and Rescue.

If a REAL cat cafe was given a huge rent increase that threatened its continued existence, the crazy cat people of Louisville would have made Nick the most hated man in the state of Kentucky within 24 hours.

Now this is a good idea for an episode.

Why didn't they just have her co-own the bar with the open mike,

Season 3?

or run some kind of community theater?

Season 4?

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I hate to nitpick, buuuuut the name of the business is Kat's Cat Cafe, not Kat's Cat Cafe and Rescue.

Our local cat cafe isn't called a rescue, but they partner with local rescues. All the cats are up for adoption and they do a great job of it. Most cat cafes operate this way. We almost lost CC during Covid, but they're still afloat.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Our local cat cafe isn't called a rescue, but they partner with local rescues. All the cats are up for adoption and they do a great job of it. Most cat cafes operate this way. We almost lost CC during Covid, but they're still afloat.

This seems to have been the business model of Kat's Cat Cafe, but the storylines about actual cats and adoptions were very few and just a backdrop to the antics of Kat and her on again, off again romance/friendship with Max and her relationship with her mother, Sheila.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

This seems to have been the business model of Kat's Cat Cafe, but the storylines about actual cats and adoptions were very few and just a backdrop to the antics of Kat and her on again, off again romance/friendship with Max and her relationship with her mother, Sheila.

Gotcha. Even the fact that they cook food in the cafe is odd. Ours is not allowed to do that, you order and they fetch the coffee and treats from a nearby shop they have an on-going business arrangement with. All those lovely cats walking everywhere and sitting on everything is against sanitation and food-handling codes. Oh, well. Shoulda stuck with the joke shop!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Ms Lark said:

Gotcha. Even the fact that they cook food in the cafe is odd. Ours is not allowed to do that, you order and they fetch the coffee and treats from a nearby shop they have an on-going business arrangement with. All those lovely cats walking everywhere and sitting on everything is against sanitation and food-handling codes. Oh, well. Shoulda stuck with the joke shop!

I recently went to a cat café near my work. They easily had 6 cats wandering around or napping and coffee, pastries and actual food are served on the premises. I had a bowl of soup, coffee, and a cookie while staring longingly at all the cats who were nowhere near me because they were all hanging out with other people. 

The rules of the café were simple. 1. Don't hold the cats 2. Don't disturb sleeping cats and 3. Don't let the cats on the table or let them eat off your plate. 

The café has apparently managed to find homes for 500 cats since it's existence. 

I thought the whole experience was pretty cool. 

So, to bring this back to the actual show, I have no issues with Kat serving food and coffee at her café. 

• Love 4

I don't have issues with the food at Kat's Cat Cafe either.  It's all prepared in the kitchen and if they keep the cats out of there, which they should and I think they do, people can eat at their own risk in the lounge.  It's no different than eating at home, where people can wisely control where their animals go while cooking and eating, or eating at a dog-friendly outdoor cafe or restaurant.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Ms Lark said:

Sounds like it depends on the laws regarding food handling in different states.

I'm sure it's all regional, yes.  One person's cat cafe with free-roaming cats is another person's den of health and safety violations.  In France, the people can bring their dogs into the restaurants, cafes, bars, etc.  Maybe Kat is moving her cat cafe to Paris, France!

On 5/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I don't have issues with the food at Kat's Cat Cafe either.  It's all prepared in the kitchen and if they keep the cats out of there, which they should and I think they do, people can eat at their own risk in the lounge.  It's no different than eating at home, where people can wisely control where their animals go while cooking and eating, or eating at a dog-friendly outdoor cafe or restaurant.

I agree with all of this except the part where we can control our cats at home...

😁

• LOL 6