Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E06: No Time for Despair

Bort
  • Start Topic

Of course Meredith had to get out of her deathbed to revive a patient. Was no else paying attention? I also wondered if the alarm was for Tom. I think they are pushing a lot of storylines and it will be interesting to see if they all play out. I hope the child trafficker gets caught.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, MarylandGirl said:

Did anyone else think it was Tom when Meredith saw the monitor going off across from her room? I was relieved when it wasn't (yes, I'm a Tom fan.

Yes and yes.  I’m a Tom fan, too.  My love for Richard Fish is unending.  

2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I hope the child trafficker gets caught.

Me too.  I watched Station 19 for the first time last night and right away I connected the stories.  It makes my stomach turn.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2020 at 9:08 PM, LexieLily said:

I don't know if the show originally planned it that way or whether the story changed due to Covid, but I am impressed that they connected the las sex trafficker from last season to be the accomplice of tonight's creepy guy.

I forget where I read it, but last season’s story was unresolved because production was stopped early due to Covid. So yes, they intentionally circled back to wrap it up and give DeLuca the hero ending they planned for him all along. 

Add me to the growing number of Tom fans. I don’t know why, because he’s essentially the same character from Ally McBeal who annoyed the crap out of me back then, but for some reason it works now. I was sure he was going to die just as Teddy realized he was her great love after all, but after this episode, I’m not sure the show cares about Teddy’s pain. I know I don’t.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I forget where I read it, but last season’s story was unresolved because production was stopped early due to Covid. So yes, they intentionally circled back to wrap it up and give DeLuca the hero ending they planned for him all along. 

Something else I just realized, they were hinting the Red Head apparently went to the house post fire/arrest on Station 19. This doesn't fly with me, because as much as they tried to show those cops dumb as dirt and racist. You can't just walk into a house that was blazing in less than 30 minutes after it happened. Something these shows do not go with belief is like with Derek's death about the road being magically open after a car exploded. Or when a good portion of the hospital blew up due to the rapist that Stephanie set on fire. You just don't walk into a place that had extreme damage caused by: gas, oil, explosions and think regular everyday people can just walk around. Considering what the ended things with Deluca and Carina acting like Tom Cruise chasing the bad guy down a dark Seattle Road, you can see the writing on the wall what is probably going to happen when the show returns. 

23 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Of course Meredith had to get out of her deathbed to revive a patient. Was no else paying attention? I also wondered if the alarm was for Tom. I think they are pushing a lot of storylines and it will be interesting to see if they all play out. I hope the child trafficker gets caught.

Those nurses seemed awfully nonchalant about the whole thing. "The code team will be here any minute"... meanwhile we're not gonna start CPR or anything ourselves, apparently.

• Love 7

I know a lot of people don't like Koracik, but Greg Germann proved again in this episode that he's a great actor. Koracik and Meredith have always had a good rapport so I enjoyed them having a scene together after so long.

What I learned this week is that Schmitt is so much more tolerable when he interacts with Jo. I can't stand him when he interacts with Nico and he suuuuucks when he's at the hospital. But when he's just chatting with Jo, he's fine (or at least not teeth grindingly annoying as he usually is with other people). I'm glad that she admitted part of her decision to switch to peds might be reacting to the pandemic. I thought at some point someone might mention that Alex moved to peds and he didn't see it as quitting.

I really liked Deluca's scenes with Bailey this week (although I'm one of the 5 people who generally likes him). He was gentle but firm because he understood what she was going through. It's easy to try to throw yourself into work while you're grieving, but you really do need to take a minute (at least!) to process it, even if that's just screaming into a pillow in the privacy of your office.

The Teddy/Owen storyline has me so ambivalent because on the one hand, fuck Owen is my standard response to just about everything he does. On the other hand, did Teddy really think that telling him about Allison was going to improve their situation? I'm really questioning her critical thinking skills at this point.

I agree that Maggie's speech would have been better coming from just about anyone else because she doesn't have the acting ability to pull that off. What she said was important but I wish that it had been performed better.

• Love 8
On 12/19/2020 at 9:51 AM, readster said:

Considering what the ended things with Deluca and Carina acting like Tom Cruise chasing the bad guy down a dark Seattle Road, you can see the writing on the wall what is probably going to happen when the show returns. 

I'm guessing a car crash with lots of "This is one of our own!!" and "She's a sex trafficker! Why should she get care ahead of "person X?" On both Station 19 and Grey's.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, marceline said:

I'm guessing a car crash with lots of "This is one of our own!!" and "She's a sex trafficker! Why should she get care ahead of "person X?" On both Station 19 and Grey's.

Especially in light that sex trafficker underling was able to get half of Station 19 arrested, when it was pretty revealed he did everything and is not out of options since he almost died.

• Love 1

If anyone else has said this, I apologize, but anyone find it kind of funny/sad that Koracik was talking to Meredith about how neurosurgeons make the best lovers, when Meredith was married to a neurosurgeon? And neither of them commented on that? I absolutely adored that conversation, it was vintage Grey's: two doctors having a witty, inappropriate conversation about sex.

While I'm not "happy" that Meredith has to be intubated, I am mollified because I did not want Grey's going down the "she got the miracle cure!" route (especially given monoclonal antibodies are not indicated for severe patients like Meredith). As they seem to be progressing along the timeline (explaining the cytokine storm in severe COVID patients, activating surge capacity), dexamethasone may be in her future.

This was a decent episode, but it was missing that extra emotional "something" the show has had since the season started. The beach adds a lot of atmosphere, and I found myself missing it. Bailey's storyline was a good substitute last episode, but this one was ... lacking, to me. Maybe because all the other subplots (human trafficking, Teddy's sexuality) seem so small in comparison to COVID.

Have a safe and happy holiday season, everyone!

• Love 6
On 12/18/2020 at 3:55 PM, shantown said:

I just realized after an interview with CL that Glasses/Jo once hooked up. I wonder if any of the writers remember that.

I remember that.  IIRC, Jo and Alex were on a break, and somehow Alex found out.  Instead of getting mad, he busted out laughing.  😂

• Love 3
21 hours ago, transitfan said:

I remember that.  IIRC, Jo and Alex were on a break, and somehow Alex found out.  Instead of getting mad, he busted out laughing.  😂

Yep, Alex thought it was hilarious.  It was even at the coffee cart.  Others saw it too.  The inappropriate sex route is something that frequently happens on Grey's. 

On 12/17/2020 at 11:44 PM, pennben said:

Owen is always “sorry” he did “it”.  He’s had a lot of its to apologize for! I guess, while Teddy is awful & in the “Owen” phase for her character, that doesn’t mean I have sympathy for him.....he’s an ass. 

so, the show never effectively rehabbed him for me, I suspect Teddy wlll be the Owen for others.  But, like it or not, her ‘rehab’ started tonight after Richard told her to take inventory—-I’m guessing that won’t work soon, but I’m impressed at the number of Owen defenders!  Years ago, unfathomable!!

Definitely not rehabbed for me, either.  The only reason Owen has been remotely tolerable lately is because he's been in quiet domestic bliss surrounded by babies.  Unfortunately, all those babies just remind me of how badly he treated Cristina when she wanted to remain child-free.  Owen has been innocent in the Teddy debacle, but this situation still feels like karma dumping a load of bricks on Owen for all the times he has tried to control the women in his life. 

Teddy seems to be following Richard's advice to look for the patterns in her life, even if she totally mangled the Allison reveal.  Still, Owen will walk away from this encounter more self-righteous than ever.  Ugh.  

• Love 1
On 12/25/2020 at 9:54 AM, Dancing Queen said:

Definitely not rehabbed for me, either.  The only reason Owen has been remotely tolerable lately is because he's been in quiet domestic bliss surrounded by babies.  Unfortunately, all those babies just remind me of how badly he treated Cristina when she wanted to remain child-free.  Owen has been innocent in the Teddy debacle, but this situation still feels like karma dumping a load of bricks on Owen for all the times he has tried to control the women in his life. 

Teddy seems to be following Richard's advice to look for the patterns in her life, even if she totally mangled the Allison reveal.  Still, Owen will walk away from this encounter more self-righteous than ever.  Ugh.  

How, exactly, did Owen control Cristina?  She didn't want kids and she's the one dumb enough to wind up pregnant (twice).  One was Owen's baby, he was allowed to state his opinion.  Then, she went ahead and had a (second) abortion anyway, and he was right there to hold her hand the whole time.  IIIRC, the whole thing was barely even mentioned again.  Owen was sad and upset, sure, but it's not like he used it over her every single day afterwards.  Then Cristina wanted her dream job in Italy and she left; Owen was understanding and didn't even ask her to stay.  

As for Amelia, well that was always a mess.  But she did lie to him about wanting a ton of kids and then actually wanting none.  But now she has one with Linc, so yeah... what is he supposed to think?  Brain tumor?  Ugh.  

I understand that in woman-power Shondaland, every single man is supposed to be the worst person in the world.  But... sometimes they're just... not.  

• Love 5
5 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

How, exactly, did Owen control Cristina?  She didn't want kids and she's the one dumb enough to wind up pregnant (twice).  One was Owen's baby, he was allowed to state his opinion.  Then, she went ahead and had a (second) abortion anyway, and he was right there to hold her hand the whole time.  IIIRC, the whole thing was barely even mentioned again.  Owen was sad and upset, sure, but it's not like he used it over her every single day afterwards.  Then Cristina wanted her dream job in Italy and she left; Owen was understanding and didn't even ask her to stay.  

As for Amelia, well that was always a mess.  But she did lie to him about wanting a ton of kids and then actually wanting none.  But now she has one with Linc, so yeah... what is he supposed to think?  Brain tumor?  Ugh.  

I understand that in woman-power Shondaland, every single man is supposed to be the worst person in the world.  But... sometimes they're just... not.  

The problem with Cristina, he KNEW what she wanted. Plus, found it interesting that with one ovary and tube, she still got pregnant and also apparently, she might have gotten preggers long before she even came to Grey/Sloan. Which pretty much cemented that if she NEVER wanted to have children and also putting up the main reason: "I will love a baby, but it will ruin my career." Then march your butt to clinic and get your tubes tied and be done with it. For Owen, despite all the BS they did with him, basically he always wanted a family and it was an idea that was planted in his head that him and his sister would be having a grand family, in the military just like he was. Sadly, painted a picture in Owen's head that was not only unrealistic, but also went to lengths trying to make it happen, including sabotaging his own sister from getting a promotion that would have kept her from getting taken as a prisoner of war for 5 years too. 

Amelia's entire situation was just stupid and adding in the tumor to try and fix bad writing and character work. Plus, the fact the actress in real life was pregnant when they did the original story. They could have written that all in instead of bringing in the stupidity with Teddy's pregnancy and of course then creating the entire 9/11 backstory to try and make her seam like her cheating was NOT HER FAULT. 

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

If men were always supposed to be the worst in this world, McDreamy would never have had that nickname, and Cristina wouldn't have been upset over Burke. She only had one abortion, as well - she scheduled the first one, and then lost the baby, and was allowed to also have a human reaction to that. Just because she didn't want a baby, didn't mean that she didn't care. Also, if men were trash in this world, Teddy wouldn't be getting hammered the way she is. 

On 12/28/2020 at 4:44 PM, Anela said:

If men were always supposed to be the worst in this world, McDreamy would never have had that nickname, . . .

You mean, he wouldn't have been objectified and patronized by that nickname.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's nice to see it happen to men since us women have to live with it constantly in our own daily lives, but "McSteamy" was even worse.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2020 at 2:37 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Barely even mentioned again?!... He screamed at her that she “killed their baby” in front of all their friends/colleagues at Zola’s birthday party - and then he cheated on her because of how much he hated her for the abortion.

And he had kicked her out of their house before she had the abortion - telling someone your marriage may be over with if they have an abortion seems a like an attempt to control their decision.

He also had no intention of going to hold her hand at first, he thought she had already had the abortion but then Meredith told him that she hadn’t so he should talk to Cristina.

And when Cristina left he made her interview the candidates for the head of cardio postition, and did tell her that he wanted to offer her the job, to see if that would make her stay.

In the seasons between the abortion and her leaving there was a lot of mess including their divorce, him dating his “perfect” woman who wanted to give up her career to raise a family - and then cheating on her with Cristina.

Edited by PrincessTT
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, PrincessTT said:

Barely even mentioned again?!... He screamed at her that she “killed their baby” in front of all their friends/colleagues at Zola’s birthday party - and then he cheated on her because of how much he hated her for the abortion.

And he had kicked her out of their house before she had the abortion - telling someone your marriage may be over with if they have an abortion seems a like an attempt to control their decision.

He also had no intention of going to hold her hand at first, he thought she had already had the abortion but then Meredith told him that she hadn’t so he should talk to Cristina.

And when Cristina left he made her interview the candidates for the head of cardio postition, and did tell her that he wanted to offer her the job, to see if that would make her stay.

In the seasons between the abortion and her leaving there was a lot of mess including their divorce, him dating his “perfect” woman who wanted to give up her career to raise a family - and then cheating on her with Cristina.

I agree, I mean Owen wanted it both ways. He was mad at Christina for everything she did, but then wanted to keep a relationship with her? Had an affair being mad at her? Told her to get out because he wanted a family, but then didn't want her to go? Then they have it where they want to rehibilatate him with Amelia and she was flipping on decisions and things she said every 5 minutes. Then when Owen pointed that out to people, they were: "Oh that's just Amelia." Then when she did it to them they go: "Umm.... maybe there is something wrong with her?" Kind of like the entire crap with Deluca's bi polar issues. Constant signs that something was wrong, and while Camelia is pointing out the family issues. She doesn't march him down to psych or goes to both Bailey and Meredith and go: "He needs help, this is getting bad and he is going to have a break." Then walk in super human trafficer Opal and they think he's nuts. Then find out, he wasn't and of course he finally admits he doesn't know what is going on. Then an actual professional says: "well, he is bi-polar and lack of sleep does this to people with his condition." Well.... duh! Then add in Bailey's entire speech about: "I'm ADD and I have to be functional." She who used the AIDS virus to cure a boy of his auto immunity disease and NEVER revealed it to anyone. 

She who constantly saw people flipping out and then instead of sitting them down and getting the information. They had her just make snap decisions like with: Amelia, Richard, Catherine or anyone else because you know she is a FUCKING doctor and Chief. But it's... "Oh I know better." 

On 12/28/2020 at 9:44 PM, Anela said:

Also, if men were trash in this world, Teddy wouldn't be getting hammered the way she is. 

She’s being hammered by the audience. Mainly because the writers are hilariously trying to paint her actions as reasonable and as though she’s a victim. 

• Love 1
On 12/18/2020 at 3:15 PM, izabella said:

I think Amelia performed brain surgery on the guy who had a stroke.  The controversy was about saving his life when he was such horrible, criminal, asshole person who kidnapped those girls so they could be trafficked.

For the life of me, I'll never understand why the writers think doctors should only treat "nice" people. This has been a theme for so long, it's obvious TPTB think awful people should be denied treatment and die a horrible death. 

All those conversations about "accidentally" killing the bad guy on surgery make me sick to my stomach. No, show, doctors are not supposed to judge and condem their patients. They are there to treat their patients. Every patient. The fact that the pantient is a kidnapper or a murderer shouldn't matter at all. Doctors who refuse to treat his patients equally are unethical, unprofessional and should lose their medical licenses.

• Love 3
On 1/18/2021 at 9:01 PM, maddie965 said:

For the life of me, I'll never understand why the writers think doctors should only treat "nice" people. This has been a theme for so long, it's obvious TPTB think awful people should be denied treatment and die a horrible death. 

All those conversations about "accidentally" killing the bad guy on surgery make me sick to my stomach. No, show, doctors are not supposed to judge and condem their patients. They are there to treat their patients. Every patient. The fact that the pantient is a kidnapper or a murderer shouldn't matter at all. Doctors who refuse to treat his patients equally are unethical, unprofessional and should lose their medical licenses.

Did she kill or main him? Did the other doctors refuse to treat him?  No (okay, it's been a while since I watched this episode so I might be wrong here).  They are human.  They have a right to their opinions and to express those opinions.  As long as they do their job at the end of the day they can say whatever they like.  Again, they are human, and humans judge and condemn.  Look at people on juries - they may not always think the person on trial is a good person but if they listen to the facts at times they have to deem not guilty even if they know they are guilty of SOMETHING either just as bad or worse.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2020 at 6:51 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What I learned this week is that Schmitt is so much more tolerable when he interacts with Jo. I can't stand him when he interacts with Nico and he suuuuucks when he's at the hospital. But when he's just chatting with Jo, he's fine (or at least not teeth grindingly annoying as he usually is with other people). I'm glad that she admitted part of her decision to switch to peds might be reacting to the pandemic. I thought at some point someone might mention that Alex moved to peds and he didn't see it as quitting.

this times 100. I'd be fine with Schmitt leaving but if we're stuck with him, please just give us the "interacting with Jo" version.

On 12/28/2020 at 3:33 PM, readster said:

The problem with Cristina, he KNEW what she wanted. Plus, found it interesting that with one ovary and tube, she still got pregnant and also apparently, she might have gotten preggers long before she even came to Grey/Sloan. Which pretty much cemented that if she NEVER wanted to have children and also putting up the main reason: "I will love a baby, but it will ruin my career." Then march your butt to clinic and get your tubes tied and be done with it. For Owen, despite all the BS they did with him, basically he always wanted a family and it was an idea that was planted in his head that him and his sister would be having a grand family, in the military just like he was. Sadly, painted a picture in Owen's head that was not only unrealistic, but also went to lengths trying to make it happen, including sabotaging his own sister from getting a promotion that would have kept her from getting taken as a prisoner of war for 5 years too. 

Amelia's entire situation was just stupid and adding in the tumor to try and fix bad writing and character work. Plus, the fact the actress in real life was pregnant when they did the original story. They could have written that all in instead of bringing in the stupidity with Teddy's pregnancy and of course then creating the entire 9/11 backstory to try and make her seam like her cheating was NOT HER FAULT. 

The thing is - and this happens a lot.
Christina said that she didn't want to have a baby. Owen weighed the pros and cons (when there was no baby). and decided "Alright, I want Cristina." 

But then when there was a baby and from what I remember (the rewatch got sucked out of my head so i can't remember again), Owen wanted to discuss things again now that there was a child. Cristina completely shut it down and went my body, my career, my choice. just stand by me. (Which. he did). But... he also had the right to be upset and angry about that decision.  (and for someone who flat out knew she never wanted kids I will never understand why no one once brought up to Dr. Yang why the heck she didn't do something the first time she had an accidental pregnancy)

Cristina had the right to terminate her pregnancy. And in my very humble opinion. Owen had the right to be extremely angry about it.  I don't condone the affair (and i tore him one  for it) but I always feel people were so #TeamCristina about that. but Owen's feelings and emotions didn't count because he knew what Cristina wanted.(Whereas you know - Cristina knew what he wanted but never gets taken to task for it)

(then they made him go through that again with Amelia which was so stupid)
And honestly. No one ever deserves to be treated the way that Teddy treated Owen. I wouldn't even wish that on my worst enemy. 

also also because they want to tie in station 19 AND greys together i keep having no idea what's going on 😞 

• Useful 1