Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E08: Peekaboo Ice Cream; Brake Free Helmet; Click & Carry; Codi Robot

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

So Peekaboo Ice Cream, where they add veggies into ice cream, turned down the offers.   She needs to find a co-packer, and expand regionally, the way Mr. Green Tea did with Marcus Lemonis, on the Profit.  I guess the seller, and purchasers think the kids will never look at the ice cream container, and find out that they're eating veggies in the ice cream?

Brake Free Helmet, will be a great product with Mark & Robert invested in it.   A great product.

Click & Carry. I think it would be easy to do cheaper knock offs.   However, Barbara & Mark will do the best they can with the product.  The woman was so nervous, that I think she was finding it hard to react on stage.  

Codi Robot, that space in the market is so crowded.  I'm shocked everyone went out, but then Robert came back in.  So Robert gets a deal, I hope the company really sells a lot, and does well, but I think the concept will need a lot more work, and interface with other devices to keep the kid's interest. 

Watching the Sharks sitting so close together, and everyone hugging, and touching was so strange.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

I'm sure I've seem the bag carriers already. Maybe the ones I've seen are Kim's. Why would she have so many repeat customers? Buying for friends? Motorcycle light is genius. Codi is ridiculously dumb. Kids already have too many digital toys and not enough parental time. Now excuse me while I go yell at kids to get off my lawn.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

There was a disclaimer this episode was taped before Covid restrictions.

Peekaboo had two decent offers, even if it wasn't exactly what she was looking for. She should have taken one. I've tried a few of the 'hidden vegetables' products and they tasted disgusting, so I wouldn't touch this stuff myself. The brake light could break out big, especially if they branch out to lights that fit on bicycle helmets and one that could be attached to kids out at night. Shopping bag carrier, eh. You still have to lug it all around. This will invite so may dollar store knockoffs. I have to agree with whichever shark said kids would play with Codi for about 2 hours and that's it. Although those three together are quite the brain trust. They should market themselves as some kind of educational think tank. I also think they're going to get sued because I could swear I've seen that character design already somewhere.

• Love 3

Really did not like Codi pitch or.product- the pitch was that without tablets and phones their was nothing that interested his 2 year old. That's a problem that needs a whole other solution than more tech.

And the way it seemed the interface works is that the parent tells the toy when it's time for the kids to clean up so it plays its song, tells the toy when they are done so it can praise them, etc. I'm assuming all that is through an app on parent's phone. Meaning parent is spending even more time on their device to program Codi and less time interacting with their children. Use that time to parent and enjoy your children.

Plus as has been stated here and in the show this space is already full and wouldn't be a good investment.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

Codi is straight out of the black mirror episode with miley cyrus where they have an 'ashley too' robot that does much the same, but much more.  The problem is that robot didn't seem to do much.  Seemed very limited.  I agree kids would play with it maybe a few days and then done. That commercial they made for it looked amateurish and low quality.  

The light for the motorcycle helmet is a great idea. Best one I think if the night. 

I've cream with veggies on it.....I actually agree if it's high calorie/ fat not sure you are gaining much.  A good idea but also think it probably needed some tweaking. And also agree the other brands would likely quickly rip it off.  And based on past shark comments, refrigerated / frozen products and space are a tough environment.

Bag carrier thing.....ok in certain places a good idea.  But why would you need more than one or two?   Plus I'd be afraid that thing falls off the shoulder.  Also could use it going to the beach, carrying a bunch of stuff.  She seemed more if inventor rather than seller, several times said how she had a bunch of other ideas

Weird seeing no social distancing.  

• Love 3

I've seen that bag-carrier device in catalogs for many, many years -- perhaps not in the bright colors, though.

I swear that when I saw CODI in a hooded jacket, I wanted to shout "they killed Kenny . . . you bastards!" because that's EXACTLY what it looked like wearing its Barbie clothes.  Please forgive me for get-off-my-lawn-ing, but why can't parents urge their children to use their imaginations?  Unless, of course, the parents were never taught to use their imaginations, but grew up with "devices".  Sad all around.

Oh, and hiding vegetables is not going to get kids (or grownups) to LIKE or to even tolerate them. /rant over

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Eve93 said:

Just what on earth was that Episode 9 preview?? Get ready for the waterworks folks! 

My DVR cut off right in the middle of that preview so the last image looked like Daymon was giving the guy serious side-eye. Same as I was doing. 😆 If the guy is for real, that’s a pitch I’ll be FFing through. 
“Let me... sob... tell you...sob...my sooper serious story...snotty sob...so you’ll feel sorry and give me money...” Nope, next!

• Love 1
On 12/11/2020 at 9:00 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Watching the Sharks sitting so close together, and everyone hugging, and touching was so strange.  

On 12/12/2020 at 1:23 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

There was a disclaimer this episode was taped before Covid restrictions.

I've been appropriately re-conditioned for Covid, because when I saw the pitchers approaching the sharks for the congratulatory hugs, I actually had a visceral "what-the-hell-are-you-doing!?!?" reaction.  

On 12/12/2020 at 1:23 AM, Vermicious Knid said:

Shopping bag carrier, eh. You still have to lug it all around.

All I could think was that my osteopath would have a coronary if I was trying to carry everything at once, AND bought a gizmo to help me do it.  Don't be so damn lazy and make a few trips!

On 12/12/2020 at 6:07 AM, knitorpurl said:

And the way it seemed the interface works is that the parent tells the toy when it's time for the kids to clean up so it plays its song, tells the toy when they are done so it can praise them, etc. I'm assuming all that is through an app on parent's phone. Meaning parent is spending even more time on their device to program Codi and less time interacting with their children. Use that time to parent and enjoy your children.

Seriously.  I am not going to use a toy to get my kids to clean up, or come eat, or whatever.  They need to learn that when I ask them to do something, that they do it.

• Love 10

I'm thinking the ice cream lady didn't want to make a low-sugar low-fat version because she knows once you do that it won't taste as good. Not that you can't have healthy stuff that tastes good, but the sugar and fat is clearly what is masking the veggie taste. That's why carrot cake doesn't taste like carrots. But it wouldn't have been a terrible idea to have her expand her product line to have both.

• Love 4

The toy thing is symbolic of what I think has undermined education-people with little or no actual educational experience start writing curriculum without understanding the nuances and challenges involved in teaching and learning.  It was only when trying to find out more that the one guy taught kindergarten for two years.  The presenters were very self-impressed with where they went to school that they thought they had all of the answers and insights necessary to create an electronic learning toy.  I thought the sharks made a lot of good points and was really surprised that Robert went back in and made an offer.

I think the carry-all woman will drive Barbara and Mark crazy as her 'nervous' energy seemed to be more than nervous energy.

Ice cream woman really had no intention of accepting an offer.  I like Mark's rule number two - if you're already planning an exit strategy, you don't have passion for your product.  I agree with above posters that the high fat/high sugar in the ice cream masks the vegetables.  I also agree that one is not teaching children to eat vegetables if the vegetables are hidden.  Did any of the sharks ask about cost/price?  I don't remember.

I did like seeing what some of the companies are doing to adjust to shut-downs during COVID.

• Love 3

Cramming a couple ounces of veg into a high fat, high sugar ice cream does not make it a health food. You are still better off NOT eating it. Thus, if you are going to indulge, you might as well enjoy your favorite ice cream and have a small portion.

• Love 6

Surprised that no one has mentioned just the awfulness of the ice cream woman.  When she thanked Lori for being the only shark to make an offer, she did it in a scolding, how-could-you-not-see-it manner to the other four sharks, not in a playful, teasing oh-well-your-loss manner.  I can't believe none of the sharks mentioned how much fat and sugar the kids would have to ingest to get even 1/2 a serving of vegetables...that seems like a Mark comment, especially since he has become Mr. Healthy Eater.

I was also surprised that Barbara and Mark wanted nervous idea lady.  Often the sharks have slammed entrepreneurs for having so many ideas as showing they weren't focused, and especially with the woman still having a full-time job, which they also often slam for.

• Love 3

But wasn’t that the whole point of the veggie ice cream, that it wasn’t being touted as health food? Her pitch was that, if you’re going to indulge in fatty good-tasting ice cream anyway, go for the one that also has vegetables in it. 

If I take some vegetables and roll them in sugar, I could probably get a kid to eat it too. At that point it's not really healthy anymore. But all the parents giving their kids fruit juice are really giving them a cup of sugar anyway. Try introducing vegetable tempura and explaining it's kind of like chicken fingers.

Many times when I have too many bags to shlepp I wish I had the ubiquitous New York 2-wheeled carrier, which you rarely see in other parts of the country. Because almost no one has a car, these go everywhere, including the subway. More than $9.95 but a good one lasts for ages and you don't have to carry it.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, aemom said:

All I could think was that my osteopath would have a coronary if I was trying to carry everything at once, AND bought a gizmo to help me do it.  Don't be so damn lazy and make a few trips!

I also think the only time you are really going to use it is to get the bags from the car to the house. How many times are you going to  forget to put it back in the car after you make it to the house? So, is the idea that you get home, realize you forgot it, and make an extra trip to the house to get it before you bring the bags in? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of only making one trip to bring in the groceries?

It also has to always have an even number of bags with equal weight in order to balance. I don't concentrate that much on how the weight of stuff is being distributed in the bags when I'm at the checkout. I'd rather have the bags sorted by where they are supposed to end up in the kitchen: one bag has the refrigerator and small freezer items, one bag has the big freezer items, one bag goes to the pantry, etc.

I also prefer paper bags if I can still find them. Her device isn't going to help me at all with that, and I wonder why none of our supposedly environmentally-conscious snarks (sarcasm, not a typo) didn't mention that.

The fact that she claims she has so many repeat customers also concerns me. Does the thing break after three trips, so you need a new one? Why else would you keep buying them over and over? You only have two shoulders.

• Love 2
On 12/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, Eve93 said:

Just what on earth was that Episode 9 preview?? Get ready for the waterworks folks! 

I'll be getting ready by recording it instead of watching live. Then I get to FF through what will probably be a dead relative/friend/pet story about how much a deal would mean to the deceased even though it probably isn't relevant to the product at all.

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

But wasn’t that the whole point of the veggie ice cream, that it wasn’t being touted as health food? Her pitch was that, if you’re going to indulge in fatty good-tasting ice cream anyway, go for the one that also has vegetables in it. 

In her promotional video, she featured kids eating it and being surprised to find that there were vegetables in it.  That's where the problem is.  Kids are not the market that is going to be eating high-fat/high-sugar ice cream anyway...they'll eat the ice cream their parents buy.  This product is encouraging the parents to think that it's such a plus for the kids to be getting the vegetables, when they'd be much better off not eating the high-fat/high-sugar ice cream in the first place and forgoing the tiny amount of vegetables, and just eat a lower fat/sugar ice cream...and not encouraging kids to think that all vegetables are so horrendous that the only palatable way to eat them is to hide/drown them in fat and sugar!  

• Love 4

I thought the motorcycle light was a fantastic idea, and sent my boyfriend who has a couple of Harleys a link about it. He likes his bikes and his gear to be as clean as possible - it was a major concession when he added a comfortable seat with a back on it for me, lol - and didn't want one for himself but said I was welcome to put any doodad I liked on my helmet. It was sold out, but I pre-ordered one for me - it cost $160, which I thought was pretty reasonable, and it will be here in March. I really like the idea, and since I'm sitting behind him anyway, I'm hoping it will help the both of us safe in spite of his preference for bobbers 🙂

• Love 1