Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E07: Holiball; Katamco Toilet Timer; ODR; Buckle Me Baby Coats

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

Holiball, the inflatible giant Christmas ornaments look like a great product, and I'm glad they got a deal with Barbara, and Mark.  I'm surprised Lori didn't snag this deal.

Toilet Timer.   If this the next silly novelty product that burns out after everyone gives it as a gag gift?    Mark wins the deal.   Not sure this is a needed product, but I thought Squatty Potty wouldn't be the huge success it is either.

ODR, a new way to go on the snow slopes, and have fun, for a third of the price of skis, poles, and whatever goes with it.    So the pitcher went to work for the company, and then ended up taking it over?  I'm surprised he didn't get a deal.    

Buckle Me Baby Coats, so they're safe for wear with car seats.  The coat allows the shoulder straps, and buckle to be on the baby's chest, instead of on a puffy coat.    Daymond will be a great partner for her, and the combined, investment, and licensing will be very profitable for the seller, and Daymond.  

• Love 1

I just ordered the Holiballs.  I have never ordered something from Shark Tank the same night I saw it, but I couldn’t resist!  I am a Christmas nut and I love the look of these giant ornaments.  Hope they look as good IRL.

Toilet timer is dumb.  I can relate to why it’s a cute idea because my husband and my children seem to think the bathroom is an in-home Internet cafe. But it’s a gag gift that won’t last.

I hate skiing, so boot thingies don’t mean anything to me.  I can see some speed demons loving them though.

Very impressed by the car coat lady!  Good for her on all counts...the biz she built, her idea, her MBA...very savvy woman. Glad she got a deal.

• Love 3

Is there really that much of a market for giant, inflatable Christmas ornaments? Obviously, there's a market but the sharks usually want businesses that will make them millions and these seem like a limited novelty item. The poop timer at least can be sold throughout the year.

The unholy offspring of skis and roller skates didn't get a deal. But this could be a big thing, something that takes off due to its' appearance on the show and blows up in sales. Snowboarding started small too. I really kind of hope the sharks end up gnashing their teeth over letting this one get away.

• Love 5

ODR's story is very confusing.   Kevin went to work for the company, as the North American distributor in 2017, then he did so well that Kevin  would have to buy the company or they would be competitors.   However, it was a very long time negotiating, and he finally took over the company.     However, a few sharks questioned his loyalty, and if he would backstab them also (Kevin, and Daymond, plus Daniel Lubetsky a former guest shark said the same thing).  (I fixed my original post, Kevin said that either he buys the company, or he becomes a competitor.   Then he claimed the former owners took forever negotiating, and closing the deal.  

This article talks about the product. 

https://heavy.com/entertainment/odr-skis-shark-tank/

Here's why he didn't get a deal on Shark Tank, and why they didn't want to invest with him

https://meaww.com/shark-tank-season-12-why-odr-skis-kevin-greco-not-get-deal-mark-cuban-lori-impressed-drive-loyalty

I'm wondering if he's another one who came on to promote his product, and if he got a deal that would be fine, or not.   Either way, I'm betting the sales went up after his appearance.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1

I can see the market for the inflatable balls.  On the other hand, there already is a big inflatable decoration market, I don't remember any of the sharks asking about competitors.  

I thought the toilet people were obnoxious and not as smart as they think they are.  Like others have said, it's a gag gift. And then what?

That ODR guy was clearly prepared for the backstabber issue.  But really, that is what he is.  With his ego, he's better of without a shark.  That said, they look like fun.

Loved the car seat coat, loved the woman.  Glad she got a deal.

Generally, not a very interesting episode, at least for me.

Added:  It wasnice not to have to put up with any guest sharks.

Edited by mjc570
additional thoughts, coherence
  • Love 2

I loved the holliballs.  A bit pricey but fun and a great idea for easy storage. 

Hated the potty timer so dumb and pointless

The ski things.....I get the appeal but they seem dangerous to use as skis. How do you turn at 60 mph with no poles?  Can you use poles too? Not being a skier and no interest in skiing just have a hard time judging it

The car seat coats.....kind of a good idea but what would keep coat makers from just ripping off the idea?  Can you patent that?   And is it a good coat in addition to being car seat accessable?   I don't know that feature in itself will sell the costs vs all the hundreds of kids coats out there.  

If you do a Google search, you'll see that you shouldn't use poles for the ODR skis. Not sure if the info is still accurate though, as the page doesn't exist anymore.

It's probably just a matter of getting the technique right. Regular skiing and snowboarding aren't that safe either.

They look really fun, especially for people who don't want to spend a crazy amount on ski equipment, whether it's renting or buying.

Edited by Jal
10 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

ODR's story is very confusing.   Kevin went to work for the company, as the North American distributor in 2017, then he did so well the former president of the company said either Kevin would have to buy him out, or they would be competitors.   

Not quite.  It's that Kevin said they would have to comply with what he wanted or they would be competitors.  That's what created the supposed backstabbing angle.  I agree with whichever shark said that he seemed to be bragging about it.  I think that if he had carefully explained the specifics of what led him to, in his view, have to take that action, then it might not have seemed so backstabby and he might have gotten a deal.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Not quite.  It's that Kevin said they would have to comply with what he wanted or they would be competitors.  That's what created the supposed backstabbing angle.  I agree with whichever shark said that he seemed to be bragging about it.  I think that if he had carefully explained the specifics of what led him to, in his view, have to take that action, then it might not have seemed so backstabby and he might have gotten a deal.

Thanks, I fixed it.    It was very confusing watching it.     I wouldn't have worried about the fact he bought the company from the previous owner, but I think his always on personality would be hard for any of the sharks to put up with for long.   They're not used to taking a back seat to anyone.  

10 hours ago, Jal said:

If you do a Google search, you'll see that you shouldn't use poles for the ODR skis. Not sure if the info is still accurate though, as the page doesn't exist anymore.

It's probably just a matter of getting the technique right. Regular skiing and snowboarding aren't that safe either.

They look really fun, especially for people who don't want to spend a crazy amount on ski equipment, whether it's renting or buying.

Sure skiing and snowboarding have risks but this seems far riskier with no poles and a much smaller base and shifting platform.  Kind of like risk of a motorcycle vs a car

But again I'm no skier and not big on high risk sports in general.  I'm sure it's exciting and fun.  I'd be scared to death though.  

As for the owner remember they edit these from like an hour down to 15 minutes or so per presentation so I'm sure he tried to explain what happened in more detail....and it seems still couldn't convince the investors of his non- predatory nature about business.  I wasn't real clear on what he meant it what happened though even after he tried to explain.  

• Love 1
18 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The ski things.....I get the appeal but they seem dangerous to use as skis. How do you turn at 60 mph with no poles?  Can you use poles too? Not being a skier and no interest in skiing just have a hard time judging it  

Turning is done by shifting your weight from one foot to the other. Poles aren't involved. These are essentially rollerblades that work on packed snow. I can see the sharks all kicking themselves twenty years from now when this becomes a new Olympic event. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, eel21788 said:

Turning is done by shifting your weight from one foot to the other. Poles aren't involved. These are essentially rollerblades that work on packed snow. I can see the sharks all kicking themselves twenty years from now when this becomes a new Olympic event. 

Well pole dancing is now an olympic event so that's hardly a great barometer for a sport anymore. 

I miss seeing Robert as he truly gets excited about many of the products.  I would have liked to see one of the Sharks try those boots, and Robert is the one most likely to try something.  I was surprised that the presenter did not ask any of them to come up and try the boots.  Makes me wonder if they're not quite as easy to use as he said they were...

• Love 4

I did have to laugh at Barbara trying to play hardball with her "you can't talk to anyone else, or my deal goes away".  She just couldn't follow through.  And I HATE when they do that.  This is a major decision for most of them, it's their business and livelihood. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lh25 said:

I did have to laugh at Barbara trying to play hardball with her "you can't talk to anyone else, or my deal goes away".  She just couldn't follow through.  And I HATE when they do that.  This is a major decision for most of them, it's their business and livelihood. 

Absolutely!

That's what I like about Dragon's Den in Canada.  Even when someone is offered what they ask for, they still listen to all the offers and then make their decision.

When they do that, it doesn't make "good drama" for me, I just think that the sharks are assholes, because as you said, this is their livelihood.

• Love 4
On 12/9/2020 at 11:05 AM, aemom said:

When they do that, it doesn't make "good drama" for me, I just think that the sharks are assholes, because as you said, this is their livelihood.

It also makes the sharks seem like hypocrites, because none of them would ever agree to a deal where they had to decide in two seconds without hearing all their options.

• Love 9