Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Fault

• Start Topic

Shaun questions his decision to give the new residents autonomy when an intern's misdiagnosis has dire consequences. A patient has a ruptured cyst affecting key functions of her brain. Morgan and Park bond over failed relationships.

Original airdate: 11/30/20

Aw, Asher. Experiencing the loss of a patient for the first time in general would be rough enough, but the fact he lost the first patient he worked on, period...dang. I liked his interaction with the guy throughout the episode, and that prayer was a cool, nice little moment. Shaun sitting with him for a bit at the end was touching, too. 

As for the woman, I totally get her husband being upset upon finding out she'd cheated on him, but confronting her about it as doctors are treating her-dude, time and place. I think that kind of behavior partially explained why she strayed. At least they did manage to come to terms a bit in the end, though it's clear they've got a long road ahead. 

Morgan and Park continuing to bond is fun. Though, yeah, he's lucky she didn't slap him or something for barging into her room like he did. But boundaries clearly don't seem to be much of a thing in general for these two, so...

Onward to January, then!

• Love 9

Well that was very depressing.

It's a good thing for the hospital that the dance master died because I think he has grounds for suing the hospital. He died because Shaun failed to supervise his resident, and Lim failed to supervise Shaun. Totally unnecessary death.

Did they confirm that Asher is gay?

I can't help it, Shaun/Lea creep me out. I don't know if it's Paige Sparra's baby voice, Lea's immaturity or Shaun's social awkwardness but it feels like I'm being a voyeur at children playing house.

• Love 8

Congrats, Asher!  You get to be the first of the newbies to lose a patient and it's your first one ever none the less!  He no doubt will understandably feel like shit about this, but it is fair to say that both Shaun and Lim also fucked up here.  Shaun clearly should have double-checked to be safe, but at the same time, Lim knows that Shaun's major weakness is failing to read people, and should have been keeping a watchful eye on him as well.  Hate to really rub salt in the wounds, but you know who probably would have been more on point during all of this?  Melendez.

So, Enrique is polyamorous, huh?  I hope they have him hold strong on that and not suddenly find the "right person" and decided monogamy is right after-all.  That's usually how these stories tend to play out, and it would be refreshing if he remains poly.

Jordan really seems to be a step ahead out of the newbies, which makes me wonder if something horrible is coming down the pipeline for her, in order to "level the playing field" a bit.

Unsurprisingly, both Reznick and Park are using their new roommate situation to try and gather info on each other, and attempt to embarrassing each other over the other's respected love life.  At least they bonded with a nice bonfire at the end!  They're so going to hook-up, right?

I'm guessing COVID-19 and all of the shutdowns is the reason for the shorten "winter season", and already having to wait till January for new episodes.  It's too bad, because I've surprisingly been still enjoying the show, despite my issues with the last season's finale.

Edited by thuganomics85
Mixed up Jordan and Olivia's names.
  • Love 6

Was anyone else expecting a House twist of "well the growth in her brain made her cheat!" (which I am pretty sure was a thing on House once, if not at least twice)

The dance guy dying made sense, but oof, Shaun should've double checked the patients since he knew it was their first time examining a patient independently. Yeah, the character doesn't have the ability to read the social cues of "can you check my work please" but he *should* at least go "these people don't have books memorized like I do, I should check the high blood pressure patient and make sure minion did an x-ray on suspected spinal injury patient"

With tumor lady, why were they putting the EEG leads on her cheek? EEG leads don't go there!

They should've had her hair down, since, you know, she had brain surgery (If she didn't have her head shaved for the surgery) - since EEG leads also go on the scalp. Why did they have the minions doing it when there are EEG techs who are incredibly skilled on putting EEG leads juuuust in the right spot? I mean, yeah, I understand COVID, they don't want to have more actors than they need to, but jeez, at least have Reznick put the EEG leads on.

also, why were the minions doing the scan, they should at least have whoever oversees them there

Edited by bros402
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

None of those patients started as surgical cases. It never makes sense when the surgeons are doing intakes on random ER patients, does it? It's one of the things this show just asks us to ignore.

I can't stand the Reznik-Park shenanigans. They just come off as total assholes to me.

I thought we already knew for sure that Asher is gay. I thought that was established in a previous episode, but I can't remember which one.

I also hope they stick with the polyamorous characterization, and don't make it into some phase or dysfunction.

Where do I know the actress from that played the patient who needed brain surgery this week? 

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, possibilities said:

thought we already knew for sure that Asher is gay. I thought that was established in a previous episode, but I can't remember which one.

His introduction- where he told of his decision to leave the Hasidic community to go to medical school - and to date men!

• Useful 6
  • Love 1

Well I knew that our run of successes couldn't last forever, and poor Asher drew the short straw. Not only did he lose his patient, he lost his first patient ever, one that he bonded with a bit, that seriously sucks. He did make a mistake, but so did Lim and Shaun, who should both know better. It was really a big screw up team effort. Shaun sitting next to Asher at the end was a nice moment at least, Shaun might struggle with connecting and working with people but he really does try. I did think it was kind of strange that Asher got so touchy when the dance master called him being gay, I thought that Asher was already out? I guess it might still be new to him, or he feels weird that the guy knew just by talking to him. 

9 hours ago, bros402 said:

Was anyone else expecting a House twist of "well the growth in her brain made her cheat!" (which I am pretty sure was a thing on House once, if not at least twice)

I swear, according to House, eighty percent of the reasons people do anything is because of a tumor or a rare blood disorder or something. The plot with cheating tumor women was decently interesting, what an awkward situation for everyone. There obviously were issues in their marriage that led to her having an affair, but, like the husband said, she could have talk to him about feeling unhappy instead of picking up guys at art galleries. I guess its a bit classier than picking them up at bars at least. Glad that they are apparently going to try and work things out, but its certainly going to be a hard road. 

Morgan and Park living together is pretty much going the way I expected it to, with them violating each others personal spaces and pettily bickering to prove that the other one makes worse relationship choices than the other. I totally expect them to hook up, especially after their bonfire of closure. 

So Enrique is polyamorous? That's cool, I hope they stick with it instead of doing the "people are only polyamorous if they're messed up or looking for an excuse to cheat" plot. 

I guess the short season is because of COVID, it sucks that this run of episodes is so short, but I guess we should just be happy we got this much after the shut downs. This season has been pretty good, despite my annoyance with how last season ended. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, possibilities said:

.Where do I know the actress from that played the patient who needed brain surgery this week? 

According to good old IMDB, that was Lindsey Kraft, who has had a decently extensive career, but it seems her most prominent work was in the likes of Grace and Frankie, Why Women Kill, and Living Biblically. 

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

~

I did think it was kind of strange that Asher got so touchy when the dance master called him being gay, I thought that Asher was already out? I guess it might still be new to him, or he feels weird that the guy knew just by talking to him. 

~

The dance master was gay - he picked something up(gaydar) in his interaction with Asher.

Props to the show hiring an actor(Noah Galvin) who was gay to play the character.

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Useful 3
  • Love 3

Noah Galvin was also in The Real O'Neals, another ABC show. He kind of created a bit of controversy for speaking out against Colton Haynes' way of coming out about 4 or 5 years ago prior, which led to the show's cancellation. He is actually theater trained and he starred in Broadway for quite a bit.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I swear, according to House, eighty percent of the reasons people do anything is because of a tumor or a rare blood disorder or something.

Yeah. It got really old after the first few seasons. I'm glad that this show is more realistically rooted.

I finally figured out why the husband looked so familiar. The actor played Sharon Raydor's son on Major Crimes.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I swear, according to House, eighty percent of the reasons people do anything is because of a tumor or a rare blood disorder or something. The plot with cheating tumor women was decently interesting, what an awkward situation for everyone. There obviously were issues in their marriage that led to her having an affair, but, like the husband said, she could have talk to him about feeling unhappy instead of picking up guys at art galleries. I guess its a bit classier than picking them up at bars at least. Glad that they are apparently going to try and work things out, but its certainly going to be a hard road. 

Obviously 😛

Although when I was diagnosed with a super rare cancer, I went looking at a list of every diagnosis in House, and my rare cancer wasn't on it - I was like "...damn, mine wasn't common enough for their medical people to find? or maybe it just wasn't flashy enough!"

Also, the scene with Glassman and Shaun, Shaun in his office all sad, that is exactly the reason why Glassman wanted him to see a professional in season 1 - so he would have some help processing stuff like this. Shaun needs a social skills group.

I have autism, I have what would've been called Asperger's a few years back - I have trouble recognizing a lot of social stuff, but I can recognize stuff like "person asks if you want to double check their work, you say no, then they ask again" means "they are unsure, check them, even if it is going to take some time out of your day" (especially when you are in medicine!).

• Love 6

Asher is quickly becoming a favorite of mine; he's a good actor and a good character both.  I know most watchers don't like Leah and Shawn as a couple but I did like that she recognized that he needed to be at the hospital for that patient and she was kind about it.  It's better than the usual, "you put your career over our relationship" drama that couples usually get stuck with.

Complaint about Morgan though - shows of course take liberties with reality vs fiction but there has to be a middle ground - in her scenes on the hospital stairs with Park her shirt sleeves were wildly distracting.  There is no way any doctor wears a shirt with huge oversized frilly cuffs.  They not only hung past the end of her coat but went all the way down to her knuckles....very impractical and unsanitary.  I'm sure the costume department can make them look fashionable without being ridiculous.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Well I knew that our run of successes couldn't last forever, and poor Asher drew the short straw. Not only did he lose his patient, he lost his first patient ever, one that he bonded with a bit, that seriously sucks. He did make a mistake, but so did Lim and Shaun, who should both know better. It was really a big screw up team effort. Shaun sitting next to Asher at the end was a nice moment at least, Shaun might struggle with connecting and working with people but he really does try. I did think it was kind of strange that Asher got so touchy when the dance master called him being gay, I thought that Asher was already out? I guess it might still be new to him, or he feels weird that the guy knew just by talking to him. 

Morgan and Park living together is pretty much going the way I expected it to, with them violating each others personal spaces and pettily bickering to prove that the other one makes worse relationship choices than the other. I totally expect them to hook up, especially after their bonfire of closure. 

So Enrique is polyamorous? That's cool, I hope they stick with it instead of doing the "people are only polyamorous if they're messed up or looking for an excuse to cheat" plot. 

I guess the short season is because of COVID, it sucks that this run of episodes is so short, but I guess we should just be happy we got this much after the shut downs. This season has been pretty good, despite my annoyance with how last season ended. 

Well, I really dislike everything about Morgan and this episode sure did nothing to change that.  Her violating Park's space was really over the line and that little firepit sing-along did nothing to endear her to me.

This was the first time I actually had a positive opinion of Lea when she persuaded Shaun to go back the hospital instead of staying with her.

• Love 3
On 12/1/2020 at 1:46 AM, bros402 said:

The dance guy dying made sense, but oof, Shaun should've double checked the patients since he knew it was their first time examining a patient independently. Yeah, the character doesn't have the ability to read the social cues of "can you check my work please" 

Didn't Shaun already learn the lesson that if the intern asks about him checking their work, that he should check their work?   Wasn't that just last week (might have been the week before)?

I did expect a House-related situation where the tumor was the reason she was attracted to her new guy.  I was expecting her to wake up and have no feelings for him whatsoever (which is kind of what happened, in a roundabout way).

I thought the patients of the week stories were good, but I didn't care for the Park/Reznick subplot.  It just seemed unpleasant and ridiculous, and an odd foundation for them eventually hooking up, assuming that's what's going to happen.

• Love 1

This one was a mixed bag for me.  So far, I’m liking Asher.  There was not really enough shown about the other newbies to say.  Shaun and Lea were cute together this time around, and I didn’t mind them.  Not a fan of Park and Reznick getting in each other’s business.  I also didn’t care for the brain cyst story.  I think it would have worked better if that couple had agreed that their relationship wasn’t working even before her diagnosis and cure and agreed to split. 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, sigmaforce86 said:

Complaint about Morgan though - shows of course take liberties with reality vs fiction but there has to be a middle ground - in her scenes on the hospital stairs with Park her shirt sleeves were wildly distracting.  There is no way any doctor wears a shirt with huge oversized frilly cuffs.  They not only hung past the end of her coat but went all the way down to her knuckles....very impractical and unsanitary.  I'm sure the costume department can make them look fashionable without being ridiculous.

at least she isn't in surgery anymore with those sleeves 😛

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Lim at the very least should have convinced Shaun to keep an eye on the new doctors without making them feel like he was hovering over them. While I hate that Asher lost his first patient, maybe it's good for his sake that it happened on his first case right away. That way, he will get the feeling down and maybe be number to it in the future.

Not the best pairing in Shaun and Lea, but I still maintain that she is good for him to have in his life. Mentally, he just seems considerably older than her (some of it is caused by his autism, and some of it is Lea's mannerisms not maturing yet). He has a constant of not wanting things to change when that happens in life. 

I give Morgan this, at least when people give crap back to her, she doesn't complain about it or act like it was undeserved. She more or less shrugs and says, "well played". Park gives as well as he gets.

• Love 4

I’m cool with Enrique being poly and positive representations of polyamory/non monogamy are great,but I’m tired of that trite line about, “People aren’t hard-wired to be monogamous,” that gets thrown around. Yes, some people people aren’t hard-wired for monogamy, but plenty of people are. And cheating does not mean the cheater is non-monogamous usually, it is typically a character flaw or situational thing. It was a pretty insensitive line to throw at the brain tumor patient’s husband IMO. 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Virtual said:

Not the best pairing in Shaun and Lea, but I still maintain that she is good for him to have in his life. Mentally, he just seems considerably older than her (some of it is caused by his autism, and some of it is Lea's mannerisms not maturing yet). He has a constant of not wanting things to change when that happens in life. 

Lea is good for Shaun in some ways, since he refuses to do social skills therapy, she can at least help him figure out cues and roleplay different scenarios for conversations (if he were to do that, which I find very helpful to do when doing something new such as a job interview)

• Love 1
On 12/1/2020 at 3:36 PM, statsgirl said:

I finally figured out why the husband looked so familiar. The actor played Sharon Raydor's son on Major Crimes.

And the boyfriend is the GMC commercial jackass who bought himself a much more expensive truck than he bought his wife, but luckily he likes red. 

Spoiler

(Just kidding, he's exchanging it tomorrow.)

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1