Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E08: The Calm Before the Storm

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot
  1. As always, episodes happen in episode time. If you want to discuss anything that occurred after the time during which the episode was filmed, take it to the appropriate thread.  This is not it. 
  2. Covid will likely again be discussed.  Limit your discussion to what is stated on the show.  Do not go further down a path of what is and is not effective, etc. 
  3. As always, no politics. 
  • Start Topic

11 minutes ago, J80134 said:

I don't find that expensive clothes, jewelry, car, home, etc equate to ones actual wealth. My aunt has all of this but has filed bankruptcy several times and she continues to add debt to keep up with the Joneses. She is perceived as well off but lives paycheck to paycheck.

I have walmart clothes, no significant jewels, a Kia and a mediocre house. I give the impression that I earn a barely middle class living, but I make a 6 figure salary, have no debt, and have saved enough to retire at 55. 

I'm not saying Shannon can't afford her lifestyle, or is going into debt to maintain it, just saying "rich" can be an illusion and creditors love to let people overextend

Totally agree with you!  Looks can be deceiving.  My only point earlier was that Shannon was called “low-rent” and I think that is the last thing anyone would think to call Shannon.  A bore?  A fuddy-dud?  A buzz kill? Yes, yes and yes.  Low rent?  Nah, that describes Lynn Curtin or Tammy Sue Waddle Barney Judge. 

Good for you, BTW.  Financial security and smarts are to be applauded.  It’s the one nice thing I have to say about Vicky.  She knows what she preaches about securing your financial future. 

• Love 10

I may alone in this but I think Gina looks better with her love chub. I think a rounder face suited her features and her boobs look great. Maybe it’s just that she looks happier. The hair extensions need to go but I think she looks great in her talking heads with shorter hair.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, IKnowRight said:

Totally agree with you!  Looks can be deceiving.  My only point earlier was that Shannon was called “low-rent” and I think that is the last thing anyone would think to call Shannon.  A bore?  A fuddy-dud?  A buzz kill? Yes, yes and yes.  Low rent?  Nah, that describes Lynn Curtin or Tammy Sue Waddle Barney Judge. 

Good for you, BTW.  Financial security and smarts are to be applauded.  It’s the one nice thing I have to say about Vicky.  She knows what she preaches about securing your financial future. 

Agree I would not classify Shannon as low rent. She lacks the white-trashiness that I associate with that term...see Peg Bundy. Lol

Vicki is smart with her money. Brooks took her for a little, but it would have been far more if she was loose with her cash.

• Love 4
On 12/7/2020 at 2:03 PM, IKnowRight said:

Expensive possessions don't make someone not "low rent."  I wouldn't use that description of Shannon myself, but IMO, I don't see much that indicates that Shannon is some kind of arbiter of taste or distinction.  Most of these women mistake owning material possessions for having class, and IMO, that's not really how it works.  I mean, I guess I have to give Luann's RHONY props, she was right when she badly sang, "money can't buy you class."

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Expensive possessions don't make someone not "low rent."  I wouldn't use that description of Shannon myself, but IMO, I don't see much that indicates that Shannon is some kind of arbiter of taste or distinction.  Most of these women mistake owning material possessions for having class, and IMO, that's not really how it works.  I mean, I guess I have to give Luann's RHONY props, she was right when she badly sang, "money can't buy you class."

It’s a matter of opinion.  I compare low rent to a very negative stereotype that, again, IMO fits Tammy Sue Waddle Barney Judge.  Not someone like Shannon who actually has class.  You can’t buy class, but Shannon has it.  She may be in the middle of a downward spiral, but she’s got it.  

• Love 4

I don’t know how they work out in those skimpy tops! I have larger breasts and I always want those suckers bolted down and covered up when I exercise - not even from a modesty perspective but from a comfort perspective. 

Kelly is an idiot but every now and then she lets loose a little bit of book learning (architectural history, what books Hemingway wrote...) and it’s like a chimp that has accidentally typed “Hamlet.” 

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 12/2/2020 at 10:12 PM, LibertarianSlut said:

So I thought it was funny when Kelly told Elizabeth that the other girls were “weary” or her, instead of “wary.”  Like, does Elizabeth’s presence make the ladies want to fall asleep?

I really, really, really don't want to defend Kelly for anything ever but I assumed she did mean they were "weary" - as in, tired of hearing about the money and divorce all the time?

On 12/3/2020 at 8:27 AM, SweetieDarling said:

Mommy Dearest only had 1 child that she neglected damaged, Brawnie has 7 (or maybe 9, she's not quite sure) that she ignores. I have no problem with her and Sean wanting to be the hip, cool, edgy swinging couple they think they are, that's their business...but don't bring (7!) innocent lives into your not child-friendly lifestyle.

Doesn't Brawny have a brother whom we saw at one point, or am I making that up?  Also, I have to say, I do know people who are in open marriages and who are still solid parents who have loving, healthy relationships with their children.  But Brawny and her husband... are not those people. 

On 12/3/2020 at 9:03 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I have a friend who is now 61 and she was a deb, (still has and fits in the dress she wore!), and it is a foreign to me as the Greek language.  I would have expected Shannon to want to have her daughters be debutants if they were on the east coast or in a southern state but I just do not think of LA being the place for that tradition.

Why do I feel like Shannon already had a plotline (maybe in her first season?) about her kids being debs?  Or maybe that was cotillion?  Are those two separate things?  

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, ladle said:

Why do I feel like Shannon already had a plotline (maybe in her first season?) about her kids being debs?  Or maybe that was cotillion?  Are those two separate things?  

Debutantes coming out is geared more towards the young women basically being on display to meet a man because they are age appropriate for marriage (a long, long, long time ago 16 year olds was thought of as a good age to start looking for a husband), cotillion is like graduating from fininshing school, any young girl worth her salt would know how to pour tea, dance properly and conduct themselves in all social situations.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Could someone please remind me what Matt did to Gina to get him into legal hot water where she might have to testify against him? Or make a statement or whatever it is. I think I remember something about him entering her house, but to be honest, I tend to space out when she talks. I also tried finding a post for her alone and I couldn't find one. Is she so boring that no one made one? LOL Again, it's Gina, so I guess I could have been looking right at it and just didn't see it.

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, Teri313 said:

Could someone please remind me what Matt did to Gina to get him into legal hot water where she might have to testify against him? Or make a statement or whatever it is. I think I remember something about him entering her house, but to be honest, I tend to space out when she talks. I also tried finding a post for her alone and I couldn't find one. Is she so boring that no one made one? LOL Again, it's Gina, so I guess I could have been looking right at it and just didn't see it.

From what I gathered, Matt came into her house, into her bedroom/bathroom and ended up assaulting her.  Not sure of the details but I think he was arrested.   Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

From what I gathered, Matt came into her house, into her bedroom/bathroom and ended up assaulting her.  Not sure of the details but I think he was arrested.   Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks.  

I believe it's alleged that he choked her. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, endure said:

Does anyone know the timeline of when this episode would have taken place, just curious re how they were reacting to Covid 19 yet not taking any precautions.

I don't know the timeline, but I feel like there was a period where this was the case-- at least for me.  On one hand, I started stocking up on supplies and food in early March because I work with public health/epidemiology people who urged me to do so.  Friends and family thought I was bananas.  I had a conversation with my students about what would happen if our classes abruptly had to go online, and they laughed at me like I was nuts.  But on the other hand, I continued to do the things I always did!  It's hard to look back on that period through the lens of the knowledge we have now.  Back then, there was so little information or guidance.  Like Gina, I thought our kids would be out of school for a few weeks.  I continued shopping, going to the gym, taking my kid to karate.  Nobody was wearing masks.  We washed our hands while singing "Happy Birthday" twice and thought this would just pass over us.  

It pains me to defend the RHW, but they may have still been in that period when they knew the virus was there but the reaction was delayed?

• Love 8
26 minutes ago, ladle said:

I don't know the timeline, but I feel like there was a period where this was the case-- at least for me.  On one hand, I started stocking up on supplies and food in early March because I work with public health/epidemiology people who urged me to do so.  Friends and family thought I was bananas.  I had a conversation with my students about what would happen if our classes abruptly had to go online, and they laughed at me like I was nuts.  But on the other hand, I continued to do the things I always did!  It's hard to look back on that period through the lens of the knowledge we have now.  Back then, there was so little information or guidance.  Like Gina, I thought our kids would be out of school for a few weeks.  I continued shopping, going to the gym, taking my kid to karate.  Nobody was wearing masks.  We washed our hands while singing "Happy Birthday" twice and thought this would just pass over us.  

It pains me to defend the RHW, but they may have still been in that period when they knew the virus was there but the reaction was delayed?

I hate to defend them too but the news of COVID19 was pretty scattershot and confusing until March. Especially out here in CA where we got hit later. They weren’t sure if it was airborne, how contagious it was, how widespread it was. and information changed quickly. I remember you could be following guidelines one day and that meant washing your hands, and the next day it was 6 feet apart, and the next day was masks. And it was being reported as a bad flu that was very serious for high risks groups but probably nothing to worry about if you aren’t as late as February. The 1st two weeks of March things changed very quickly in CA.

Edited by FozzyBear
  • Love 7
On 12/2/2020 at 9:25 PM, JD5166 said:

Are Debutante Balls still a thing? I can’t. Time for bed.......

Yep - I did one 30 years ago, and there's still a chapter in my hometown. At this point, the only reason I see for having debutante stuff and cotillions is to say, "My junior cotillion..." 😂😂 My friends who did those with me back in the day and still live in town do not send their kids to them, though.

• Love 2
On 12/9/2020 at 6:03 PM, ladle said:

I don’t know how they work out in those skimpy tops! I have larger breasts and I always want those suckers bolted down and covered up when I exercise - not even from a modesty perspective but from a comfort perspective. 

Kelly is an idiot but every now and then she lets loose a little bit of book learning (architectural history, what books Hemingway wrote...) and it’s like a chimp that has accidentally typed “Hamlet.” 

Kelly is shrewd. She’s just smart enough to throw out a phrase or two that she found online that morning to make herself sound educated. But the way she says those phrases shows me she’s not truly. If any of those dum-dums she’s talking to would ask her just one follow-up question to one of her “smart” proclamations, she would reveal how little she actually knows about the subject.

• Love 4