Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Whitney's Long-Distance Relationship

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, LibertarianSlut said:

I’ve looked at this from every angle, and I don’t see how Chase is not a scumbag.  

Whitney and her barnacles may be scumbags too, but two (or several) things can be true at once.  

What kind of sick puppy goes on national reality television, pretends to fall in love with a woman, tell her he thinks she weighs 250 lbs (which is the equivalent of telling a 180 lb woman that she looks like she’s 110 lbs), pretends to be jealous of male friends, travels to France with said woman, puts a ring on her damned finger, laments after the fact that he should have asked her dad’s permission and the whole thing is untrue?  

Forget Whitney—I’ll assume for the sake of argument that she was in on this—what about the viewers?  TLC bills this as a reality TV show.  I think about a million people tune in each week.  At least this viewer tunes in expecting to see some version of reality, warped as it may be.  And Chase thinks he can just take a million people for a ride, and it’s all hunky dory?  Why is that ok?

What type of legacy does this leave for his spawn—what is he going to tell them—“that really nice swing set out back?  We have that because daddy pretended to be into a fat chick on TV for a few years.  Yeah, I was acting.  I actually loved your mom.  Oh no, the public didn’t know I was acting <beard scratch>. It was complicated.  We could have afforded nice things anyway, given I was gainfully employed at the time, but this was an easy pay day.  I’ll teach you a little more about that as you get older.”  What a model citizen.  

I would not claim him as a family member.  I would have no idea how to explain to people how or why my brother/son/husband/dad was such an asshole.  I guess Chase’s mom was super smart not to deign to appear on this show.  

This reminds me of last season when Heather was apparently spreading the message on social media that the show wasn’t really real, and they were mostly acting.  That’s having your cake and eating it too, and it doesn’t jive with me.  To me, if they are even vaguely honest people, they all have three options:  They can assume all responsibility for their characters on reality TV, get off TV, or do what self-respecting actors do and go down to casting calls like every other wannnabe talent, and cut your teeth with a shit-ton of rejection.  

Maybe Chase will get lucky and they’ll reboot Dawson’s Creek, shoot it in Wilmington again, and he can get cast as some creepy uncle with jacked up teeth, a nose only Pinocchio could love, and a beard that knows no bounds.  Or maybe they’ll shoot I Know What You Did Last Summer III there and he can play the murderer!  

But it’s total loser bullshit to take the easy way out, pocket a check, and expect people to look you in the eye and respect you as a person.  This behavior makes ambulance chasing attorneys who advertise on TV that they can get you a settlement if you were molested by a clergy person look like choir boys, because at least they are telling the truth.

I’m not sure when it became ok to lie on such a grand scale.  If Chase wants to do this, cool, I’m not sure he’s breaking any laws, I will just never for the life of me understand the celebration of being dishonest for no good reason.  

Say what you will about Buddy—and there is much to be said—but when he did that stand-up comedy, it was (likely) real, and he took his licks for being a total underperformer like a real human person.  Wow, Chase, you managed to make Buddy look like a man amongst men.  Great job.  I hope he’s proud of himself.  I hope he can sleep at night.  I hope he’s rehearsed what he’s going to tell his poor kids about values.  

If I lived in Wilmington, I would make sure he was at least six degrees away from my social circle, and I wouldn’t hire his services if my life depended on it.  Why would I ever think he wasn’t skimming off the top or finding some other way to rip me off, because that is his character?  Liars also tend to cheat and steal. It’s all on a continuum.  

I don’t know if this is a spoiler, because it hasn’t been properly announced on the show yet, and it’s common knowledge, but I’ll put it in spoiler tags just in case:

Hide contents

I’m one of those people who thinks parents should be married before they procreate, and yes, shit happens, but that’s when you march down to the courthouse and get married ASAP if you’re compatible at all.  I suspect there are dozens of other people who think like me in North Carolina.  So three cheers for dad of the year Chase for announcing he knocked up his baby mama out of wedlock and while he was ‘engaged’ to someone else.  That poor child whose mother and father think that the details surrounding his or her conception are fodder for public consumption and don’t offer their innocent baby a scintilla of privacy. Totally gross trash people.  Say what you want about Whitney—she never brought innocent kids into her machinations.

I’m done with him.  I kind of want to see the fallout kind of the way it’s hard to look away from a car wreck, but once that happens, I may very well be done.  There is something so sordid about this show now that things have gone from “oh my God, look, a 365 lbs woman is riding a horse!” to the bottom of the barrel slime into which this has descended. 

I shouldn’t feel like I need a shower after climbing on my couch with my popcorn to watch a 300-lb bimbo make an ass of herself day in and day out.  Once real people really start to get taken for a ride—what is that phrase our parents said—I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed.  

I’m not mad at Chase or Ryan anymore than I’d be mad at Maney, Roy, the lesbian on the horse (I can’t remember her name), the cousin because they were all storyline lines, so I don’t think they are scum bags.  The only thing I these two did better than anyone else is managed to be on tv and not look like complete suck ups or coddlers of Whitney.  More might come out later to change my mind, but I don’t see how anybody believes anything to be true on this show.  Honestly, the only person I believe I ever thought was an actual scumbag on this show was possibly Avi and to a certain extent Buddy.

As far as the weight thing, I doubt he was going to say 350lbs and honestly the producers probably told him to say 250 pounds or possibly he just didn’t want to make her feel like shit because despite her claims of weight not mattering she sure talks about it a lot.  Plus, I don’t know any guy that wants to overestimate a woman’s weight and I think her being like 5’1 or 5’2 throws it off too.  I might have said 300 because she’s so short, but again, I still think the producers came up with the number.  If anybody is the “blame” I’d say it’s the producers or TLC, they’re the ones that run this shit, then Whitney, hell even me as a viewer for watching this mess.  I do think Chase and Ryan saw this as a financial and/or “fun” opportunity (money, trips, “fame”), but I really don’t see that they did anything I remotely horrible unless it hasn’t been shown yet.  I mean unless some facts come out that Chase was actually fucking Whitney and this other broad , then to me he’s just like these bachelor/bachelorette shows that barely ever seem to produce any marriages.  It’s all for ratings, which MBFFL gets because for whatever reason we all still watch.

As far as the marriage thing, there’s plenty of shitty married parents that bring kids in the world.  I’m more interested in how he treats his child (well I would be if I really cared about these people) but in the general sense I care more about if Randall is going to have another anxiety attack on This is Us.  They really need to stop calling these reality shows because they’re far from it. As far as Whitney, she probably never brought kids into this bullshit because she physically couldn’t or it was very hard for her to do so.  
As far as explaining to the kid, if they ever do, I’m sure he’d say he was once an actor on a show, which is what he was.  Honestly, I think while she does want children Whitney is narcissistic and would have a very hard time putting herself second.  With that said I do think she wants children and I’m sorry for the pain she may go through in regards to that, but to act like she was bamboozled by these two I just don’t get it.  If that’s the case, she should have quit the show when she was imo literally bamboozled by Avi.  According to her he dated practically every fat woman in the entire world and scammed her out of money.   She should have packed it up then, but no she signed up for another year of a shitshow, that I’m sure she’s quite happy to have people watch.

Maybe I’m missing something because it’s background noise watching for me, but I don’t get why I’m supposed to be mad at a guy that pretended to play somebody’s boyfriend.  If I thought any of this were real, it be a different story, but I don’t. I literally think they went through a list of Ryan’s friends to play her love interest and came up with Chase.  Something may come out later on the show that makes me think differently of the situation, and I know you say it’s independent, but I’m far more disturbed by the totally fucked up situation between Whitney and Buddy then Whitney and Chase.  

Fwiw, as much as I complain about the people on this show they are all fairly low on the disgusting scale of reality tv.  If Chase were a real scumbag I’d think Whitney would shout it from the rooftops, I mean she pulled out whiteboards, found a woman on other continents, flew her in, and ambushed Avi at a coffee shop.  Yet, for betrayal by her soulmate, she puts up one cryptic post and still follows him on IG? She had no problem unfollowing Ryan.  I just don’t think her ego would allow Chase to be painted as having a lapse of judgement (if this were true).  YMMV and I suppose does, but, and this is an honest question, no snark, why do you watch it if you really think she got taken for a ride? I mean if I thought this were real I actually don’t think I could watch it without feeling broken-hearted for her, which may happen in upcoming episodes since I have no idea what’s in them or how they are edited.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Love 19
4 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I’m not mad at Chase or Ryan anymore than I’d be mad at Maney, Roy, the lesbian on the horse (I can’t remember her name), the cousin because they were all storyline lines, so I don’t think they are scum bags.  The only thing I these two did better than anyone else is managed to be on tv and not look like complete suck ups or coddlers of Whitney.  More might come out later to change my mind, but I don’t see how anybody believes anything to be true on this show.  Honestly, the only person I believe I ever thought was an actual scumbag on this show was possibly Avi and to a certain extent Buddy.

As far as the weight thing, I doubt he was going to say 350lbs and honestly the producers probably told him to say 250 pounds or possibly he just didn’t want to make her feel like shit because despite her claims of weight not mattering she sure talks about it a lot.  Plus, I don’t know any guy that wants to overestimate a woman’s weight and I think her being like 5’1 or 5’2 throws it off too.  I might have said 300 because she’s so short, but again, I still think the producers came up with the number.  If anybody is the “blame” I’d say it’s the producers or TLC, they’re the ones that run this shit, then Whitney, hell even me as a viewer for watching this mess.  I do think Chase and Ryan saw this as a financial and/or “fun” opportunity (money, trips, “fame”), but I really don’t see that they did anything I remotely horrible unless it hasn’t been shown yet.  I mean unless some facts come out that Chase was actually fucking Whitney and this other broad , then to me he’s just like these bachelor/bachelorette shows that barely ever seem to produce any marriages.  It’s all for ratings, which MBFFL gets because for whatever reason we all still watch.

As far as the marriage thing, there’s plenty of shitty married parents that bring kids in the world.  I’m more interested in how he treats his child (well I would be if I really cared about these people) but in the general sense I care more about if Randall is going to have another anxiety attack on This is Us.  They really need to stop calling these reality shows because they’re far from it. As far as Whitney, she probably never brought kids into this bullshit because she physically couldn’t or it was very hard for her to do so.  
As far as explaining to the kid, if they ever do, I’m sure he’d say he was once an actor on a show, which is what he was.  Honestly, I think while she does want children Whitney is narcissistic and would have a very hard time putting herself second.  With that said I do think she wants children and I’m sorry for the pain she may go through in regards to that, but to act like she was bamboozled by these two I just don’t get it.  If that’s the case, she should have quit the show when she was imo literally bamboozled by Avi.  According to her he dated practically every fat woman in the entire world and scammed her out of money.   She should have packed it up then, but no she signed up for another year of a shitshow, that I’m sure she’s quite happy to have people watch.

Maybe I’m missing something because it’s background noise watching for me, but I don’t get why I’m supposed to be mad at a guy that pretended to play somebody’s boyfriend.  If I thought any of this were real, it be a different story, but I don’t. I literally think they went through a list of Ryan’s friends to play her love interest and came up with Chase.  Something may come out later on the show that makes me think differently of the situation, and I know you say it’s independent, but I’m far more disturbed by the totally fucked up situation between Whitney and Buddy then Whitney and Chase.  

Fwiw, as much as I complain about the people on this show they are all fairly low on the disgusting scale of reality tv.  If Chase were a real scumbag I’d think Whitney would shout it from the rooftops, I mean she pulled out whiteboards, found a woman on other continents, flew her in, and ambushed Avi at a coffee shop.  Yet, for betrayal by her soulmate, she puts up one cryptic post and still follows him on IG? She had no problem unfollowing Ryan.  I just don’t think her ego would allow Chase to be painted as having a lapse of judgement (if this were true).  YMMV and I suppose does, but, and this is an honest question, no snark, why do you watch it if you really think she got taken for a ride? I mean if I thought this were real I actually don’t think I could watch it without feeling broken-hearted for her, which may happen in upcoming episodes since I have no idea what’s in them or how they are edited.

I agree with your whole post, except the part about Randall - I don’t watch that show LOL, but I wanted to highlight a few items. First, about Chase estimating her weight - I agree TLC probably told him what number to use but if he did choose it I bet he did think he was picking a really big number without the risk of going over - like a weird game of the Price is Right. Most men really have no idea what women weigh and assume all thin women are under 120 lbs because that seems like the ‘right’ number for a thin woman. A few weeks ago my husband was aghast to find out our daughter weighs 139 lbs. He said ‘OMG that’s almost 140 lbs She doesn’t look fat. Do we need to worry’. Good grief. She’s 17 years old. Has had her period for over 5 years so well into physical womanhood, and she’s 5’10”. 139/140 lbs is a perfectly reasonable weight and well within good BMI weights. I explained this to him and pointed out that our other daughter who he thinks is a fine weight is 6 inches shorter and only 10 lbs less. Her BMI is actually slightly higher because she’s so much shorter.  But since it’s 128 lbs that SOUNDS better to a guy. They just have no clue. Chase probably couldn’t fathom that she weighed more than 250 even if he thought she looked like a whale. To most guys only football players weight 250+.

I also agree that Whitney would be shouting it from the rooftops if she could show Chase as a scumbag. Personally I think she wants to. I think she considers what he did a betrayal. It seemed patently obviously that she didn’t write that SM notice announcing the breakup. I think TLC did that to make sure Whitney didn’t say something stupid.  They had an agreement for her to be able to break it off on her terms, making her look good but the baby messed that up. I also think she feels betrayed because she had convinced herself he would fall in love with her and leave his girlfriend. I do think it was real that Whitney didn’t want to visit Wilmington. I don’t think she wanted to be where the girlfriend was and meet people who knew he had a real girlfriend who didn’t smell and wasn’t almost 400 lbs. But she can’t tout the ‘he betrayed me’ too much outside of the prescribed script. If she starts stalking the girlfriend or doing other really out of control stuff she could be in a lot of trouble, especially because she agreed to this farce. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

@LibertarianSlut the only reason Whitney hasn't brought innocent children in to her machinations is because she can't get pregnant. She has tried. She even asked Tal if he would be the father. She also explored the adoption route (made a storyline out of it) but was denied because she was too fat. So, if she could have, she would have. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

@LibertarianSlut the only reason Whitney hasn't brought innocent children in to her machinations is because she can't get pregnant. She has tried. She even asked Tal if he would be the father. She also explored the adoption route (made a storyline out of it) but was denied because she was too fat. So, if she could have, she would have. 

And she certainly brought innocent animals into her shit show and one of them died because of it. That’s when I stopped watching.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

YMMV and I suppose does, but, and this is an honest question, no snark, why do you watch it if you really think she got taken for a ride? I mean if I thought this were real I actually don’t think I could watch it without feeling broken-hearted for her, which may happen in upcoming episodes since I have no idea what’s in them or how they are edited.

No worries, I get that it’s not snark.  I remember thinking you had a lot of good posts last season, which, BTW, feels to me like it ended a week ago.  I don’t think I was ready for this to come back so soon.  It’s too much of a bad thing.  

I watch because of a bit or morbid fascination.  Last season I said I want to stop watching, but I am afraid that as soon as I stop watching, she’s going to lose all the weight, and someone replied that they’re pretty sure I’m safe 🤗.  I just have it on in the background because, like I posted upthread, it’s like a car wreck.

I wasn’t trying to convey that I felt bad for Whitney.  I don’t feel bad for Whitney at all; I stated that I think she’s complicit in this, and that she’s a scumbag.  The main thrust of my point is that Chase is getting a pass for faking it.  If Whitney were getting a pass, I’d write a scathing post about her, but others have already covered that for me in depth.  

I don’t see how anybody believes anything to be true on this show

This is where we may disagree—are we talking literally that nothing is real?  Because I am convinced that there is a real woman named Whitney Way Thore, with parents named Babs and Glen, a brother named Hunter, etc.  I think her friends, such as Todd, started off as her friends, as in, Todd was her Eternal Dance Partner back in the day, and I believe she knew Heather, Buddy, Ashley, Tal from the places she stated she knew them, and sometime after season three it started to spin into heavily fictionalized reality, but I do believe it is grounded in reality.  I believe she fell on the skis, that she cheated against the Trophy Wives, and that she hobbled through the 8k in Hawaii.  

So I think it’s safe to say some things are true and some things are false.  

I think that Ryan is alright, because I believe he did some type of business with Whitney.  The rest of the gang, I believe, are her frenemies, even if they’re not as close as they claim, but I am willing to endure some fiction mixed in with the reality.  I watch a lot of reality TV, and I know I’m being lied to a lot.  But I believe they all went up to the mountains.  I don’t believe that was a green screen or anything.  

Where I draw the line—and this is my personal preference and I’ve stated as much—is at faking an engagement.  That’s just a bridge too far.  And to the extent that TLC was complicit—probably heavily—and anyone else was complicit in getting us to believe there was going to be a marriage, I think those people are jerks.  I mean, I used the term ‘scumbag,’ but I don’t literally mean that I think the person is a bag of scum. The words “idiot” “moron” and “dolt” can all substitute for “scumbag,” and, of course, that includes Whitney.  

It was my personal opinion at the end of last season that these two were going to get married, even if it was going to be a sham, I thought that they needed subject matter for next season, and that was going to be a legal wedding, and if I recall, I wasn’t alone in thinking that.  Then maybe two seasons from now would be the divorce.  

As far as the weight thing, I doubt he was going to say 350lbs and honestly the producers probably told him to say 250 pounds

I agree with your assessment.  This just makes everyone look foolish though.  I have an axe to grind with Chase for going on reality TV and then saying what the producers told him to say.  Conversely, I love Todd, because he is constantly speaking the truth.  

17 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

I care more about if Randall is going to have another anxiety attack on This is Us.  

Hahaha, ok, yes, good point.  Funny you should mention This Is Us, because I was feeling like, if I wanted to watch a 400-lb woman acting instead of a 400-lb woman’s reality at 9 pm on a Tuesday night, I would turn to the show that was at least up for all kinds of Emmys. 

As far as Whitney, she probably never brought kids into this bullshit because she physically couldn’t or it was very hard for her to do so.  

Yes, that is true.  I mean, technically, when Whitney was on her—barf—child adoption tour—the adoption expert told her that she could hire a woman from the nation of Georgia to be a surrogate for her, and it would all be above-board and legal, and Whitney chose to ignore this and feel sorry for herself that she was “too fat and crazy” to adopt, so instead of doing something about it, she just complained.  

As an aside, this bitch really knows how to turn the Serenity Prayer on its head and try to change the things she can’t and accept the things that can be changed (such as losing weight, hello)!

But I wasn’t getting into motives or reasons as to why Whitney never brought children into her bulllshit—hers or anyone else’s—I was just stating that this was one transgression she has not (yet) committed.  

I don’t get why I’m supposed to be mad at a guy that pretended to play somebody’s boyfriend

I wasn’t trying to be persuasive in my post.  I was really just venting.  I’ve done it before and I’m sure I’ll do it again!  😃  Like I stated, I feel like other posters have done an amazing job at taking Whitney and the show and the network to task, so I thought it would be somewhat redundant if I read every single person and entity responsible for this garbage the riot act.  

12 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Whitney would be shouting it from the rooftops if she could show Chase as a scumbag

But that’s taking Whitney’s value system and applying it as an objective perspective.  I’ll say it for the cheap seats—I think Whitney and Chase were both in on attempting to bamboozle the audience—so whether Whitney thinks Chase is a scumbag is immaterial to me, aside from the idea that I am even more suspicious of the guy if he’s still on good terms with Whit.  

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to use an analogy as to how I view the show (and maybe I’m wrong)—but Real Housewives of New Jersey is another reality show about mostly Italian-American families who fight and make up repeatedly.  One of the cousins they used to feature—Rosie—is a lesbian, she’s had several lesbian dates on the show, and about five years ago there was a lesbian who came on the show as Rosie’s date, and it later came out at the reunion and social media that this woman was livid about how she was portrayed in the episode, and she and Rosie were never an item, the woman had a girlfriend, etc.  

What I extracted from this was that it was gross and shitty of production and Rosie and whomever else to use this woman and fake storylines for the audience, if the allegations were true.  It didn’t stop me from watching the show, it doesn’t stop me from believing that these people are related, and that some of their fights and make-ups are real.  I think, on the continuum, MBBFL is probably one standard deviation less realistic than RHNJ, but I am pretty sure at least some of it is real, much of it is fake, and perhaps there is a lot that is nudged from production.  

I don’t think it is beyond credulity that Whitney and Chase had sex.  Some people have sex with people they detest.  Some people are turned on by people who simultaneously gross them out.  Sex can be counterintuitive that way.  Some people have no emotional attachment, but they will put Part A into Part B just to literally screw.  Some people make animals blush and it’s not out of the realm of possibility—to me—that they may have done the deed at some point or another.  

When I see bullshit, I call it out.  I get that it may not speak to others as much as it speaks to me.  I will admit that I have always had an aversion to Chase the way I don’t with Ryan.  Without disclosing my position, I asked my husband if he thinks that Chase is a scumbag, he thought about it for a second and he said “yeah, probably.”  He said that the guy should be able to answer a straight question about whether he owns this bar—something about which Chase has been less than candid—and also because Chase doesn’t pass the “eye-test.”  (Apparently the “eye-test” is what a lot of the old school voters used to determine whether a guy should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame—they see a guy play, and they’re convinced he’s in, regardless of the statistics).  So my husband and I came to the same conclusion about Chase for completely different reasons.  That’s what make a horse race, I guess. 

Something may come out later on the show that makes me think differently of the situation

I concur with this as well.  If something comes out later to make me change my mind, I’ll come back here with my tail between my legs and admit it.  

Thank you for letting me vent.  I think I’m ready to move on from this topic finally.  None of these people really affect my life (thank God!)

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, LibertarianSlut said:

No worries, I get that it’s not snark.  I remember thinking you had a lot of good posts last season, which, BTW, feels to me like it ended a week ago.  I don’t think I was ready for this to come back so soon.  It’s too much of a bad thing.  

I watch because of a bit or morbid fascination.  Last season I said I want to stop watching, but I am afraid that as soon as I stop watching, she’s going to lose all the weight, and someone replied that they’re pretty sure I’m safe 🤗.  I just have it on in the background because, like I posted upthread, it’s like a car wreck.

I wasn’t trying to convey that I felt bad for Whitney.  I don’t feel bad for Whitney at all; I stated that I think she’s complicit in this, and that she’s a scumbag.  The main thrust of my point is that Chase is getting a pass for faking it.  If Whitney were getting a pass, I’d write a scathing post about her, but others have already covered that for me in depth.  

This is where we may disagree—are we talking literally that nothing is real?  Because I am convinced that there is a real woman named Whitney Way Thore, with parents named Babs and Glen, a brother named Hunter, etc.  I think her friends, such as Todd, started off as her friends, as in, Todd was her Eternal Dance Partner back in the day, and I believe she knew Heather, Buddy, Ashley, Tal from the places she stated she knew them, and sometime after season three it started to spin into heavily fictionalized reality, but I do believe it is grounded in reality.  I believe she fell on the skis, that she cheated against the Trophy Wives, and that she hobbled through the 8k in Hawaii.  

So I think it’s safe to say some things are true and some things are false.  

I think that Ryan is alright, because I believe he did some type of business with Whitney.  The rest of the gang, I believe, are her frenemies, even if they’re not as close as they claim, but I am willing to endure some fiction mixed in with the reality.  I watch a lot of reality TV, and I know I’m being lied to a lot.  But I believe they all went up to the mountains.  I don’t believe that was a green screen or anything.  

Where I draw the line—and this is my personal preference and I’ve stated as much—is at faking an engagement.  That’s just a bridge too far.  And to the extent that TLC was complicit—probably heavily—and anyone else was complicit in getting us to believe there was going to be a marriage, I think those people are jerks.  I mean, I used the term ‘scumbag,’ but I don’t literally mean that I think the person is a bag of scum. The words “idiot” “moron” and “dolt” can all substitute for “scumbag,” and, of course, that includes Whitney.  

It was my personal opinion at the end of last season that these two were going to get married, even if it was going to be a sham, I thought that they needed subject matter for next season, and that was going to be a legal wedding, and if I recall, I wasn’t alone in thinking that.  Then maybe two seasons from now would be the divorce.  

I agree with your assessment.  This just makes everyone look foolish though.  I have an axe to grind with Chase for going on reality TV and then saying what the producers told him to say.  Conversely, I love Todd, because he is constantly speaking the truth.  

Hahaha, ok, yes, good point.  Funny you should mention This Is Us, because I was feeling like, if I wanted to watch a 400-lb woman acting instead of a 400-lb woman’s reality at 9 pm on a Tuesday night, I would turn to the show that was at least up for all kinds of Emmys. 

Yes, that is true.  I mean, technically, when Whitney was on her—barf—child adoption tour—the adoption expert told her that she could hire a woman from the nation of Georgia to be a surrogate for her, and it would all be above-board and legal, and Whitney chose to ignore this and feel sorry for herself that she was “too fat and crazy” to adopt, so instead of doing something about it, she just complained.  

As an aside, this bitch really knows how to turn the Serenity Prayer on its head and try to change the things she can’t and accept the things that can be changed (such as losing weight, hello)!

But I wasn’t getting into motives or reasons as to why Whitney never brought children into her bulllshit—hers or anyone else’s—I was just stating that this was one transgression she has not (yet) committed.  

I wasn’t trying to be persuasive in my post.  I was really just venting.  I’ve done it before and I’m sure I’ll do it again!  😃  Like I stated, I feel like other posters have done an amazing job at taking Whitney and the show and the network to task, so I thought it would be somewhat redundant if I read every single person and entity responsible for this garbage the riot act.  

But that’s taking Whitney’s value system and applying it as an objective perspective.  I’ll say it for the cheap seats—I think Whitney and Chase were both in on attempting to bamboozle the audience—so whether Whitney thinks Chase is a scumbag is immaterial to me, aside from the idea that I am even more suspicious of the guy if he’s still on good terms with Whit.  

I know this is a long post, but I just wanted to use an analogy as to how I view the show (and maybe I’m wrong)—but Real Housewives of New Jersey is another reality show about mostly Italian-American families who fight and make up repeatedly.  One of the cousins they used to feature—Rosie—is a lesbian, she’s had several lesbian dates on the show, and about five years ago there was a lesbian who came on the show as Rosie’s date, and it later came out at the reunion and social media that this woman was livid about how she was portrayed in the episode, and she and Rosie were never an item, the woman had a girlfriend, etc.  

What I extracted from this was that it was gross and shitty of production and Rosie and whomever else to use this woman and fake storylines for the audience, if the allegations were true.  It didn’t stop me from watching the show, it doesn’t stop me from believing that these people are related, and that some of their fights and make-ups are real.  I think, on the continuum, MBBFL is probably one standard deviation less realistic than RHNJ, but I am pretty sure at least some of it is real, much of it is fake, and perhaps there is a lot that is nudged from production.  

I don’t think it is beyond credulity that Whitney and Chase had sex.  Some people have sex with people they detest.  Some people are turned on by people who simultaneously gross them out.  Sex can be counterintuitive that way.  Some people have no emotional attachment, but they will put Part A into Part B just to literally screw.  Some people make animals blush and it’s not out of the realm of possibility—to me—that they may have done the deed at some point or another.  

When I see bullshit, I call it out.  I get that it may not speak to others as much as it speaks to me.  I will admit that I have always had an aversion to Chase the way I don’t with Ryan.  Without disclosing my position, I asked my husband if he thinks that Chase is a scumbag, he thought about it for a second and he said “yeah, probably.”  He said that the guy should be able to answer a straight question about whether he owns this bar—something about which Chase has been less than candid—and also because Chase doesn’t pass the “eye-test.”  (Apparently the “eye-test” is what a lot of the old school voters used to determine whether a guy should be in the Baseball Hall of Fame—they see a guy play, and they’re convinced he’s in, regardless of the statistics).  So my husband and I came to the same conclusion about Chase for completely different reasons.  That’s what make a horse race, I guess. 

I concur with this as well.  If something comes out later to make me change my mind, I’ll come back here with my tail between my legs and admit it.  

Thank you for letting me vent.  I think I’m ready to move on from this topic finally.  None of these people really affect my life (thank God!)

I just wanted to say sorry if my post came across as a rant (which I guess it was).  I mean I don’t think any of these people are exactly winners but I guess I blame Whitney because it’s her show.  Actually I blame TLC or whoever came up up with this.  I know you’re pretty much done with post so I won’t blabber on too much, I guess when I said nothing was real I meant I don’t believe the situations aren’t prodded/manipulated in someway.  I mean I believe there’s a woman named Whitney and she has a family, but I don’t necessarily think if she was falling on skis Buddy would just stand there clueless...well he would be clueless but probably attempt to help and I doubt Glen would sneak in an 8k...I don’t think he’s above bribing Whitney I just think these things are at an exaggerated rate.  Whitney seeing the dance score sheet by “accident”. My English is not great so I didn’t really make that distinction.  I figured the work/own thing was so they could go back and forth if Chase had a legitimate reason not to move, but I agree it’s kind of a dumb thing not to say.  Honestly, the main reason I don’t think Chase and Whitney really had sex is because I think Whitney would not be able to shut up about it.  It be fleshhold part deux.  I could believe Chase could have sex if he were drunk enough mostly because he looked comatose anytime he was around her.  Anyway, thank you for your explanations not that you had to give any.  In my defense, I had just watched the episode of her having Roy massage her butt during an interview after I was up all night, so I was pretty cranky lol.

p.s. I’m glad they don’t affect my life in the real world either lol.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5

Chase has mentioned online that he and his partner have built the bar from the ground up, so I think he manages it and invested in it, which might also explain his willingness to take the MBFFL job.   He also works some sort of accounting job for a construction company as mention on the show, and does some other type of work periodically that I forget at the moment. 

Edited by Irate Panda
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

This has probably been asked and answered years ago, but I just watched a bit of the current episode and wondered why Whit's mother has a deep southern accent, while Whit sounds very middle America. (I googled, but there doesn't seem to be anything about mom, except her connection to Whit). 

On 11/19/2020 at 4:35 PM, bichonblitz said:

It's not the first time he has said this to Whitney. On camera. It is disturbing. Like I said upthread, they have a sick relationship and you would think that if Buddy is feeling that way and confiding to her that he feels that way, then why Whit try to get him help? Does she not give a damn about anybody other than herself?                                                              

I wish Dr. Honda would do Psychology in Seattle about Whitney.

On 11/20/2020 at 2:27 AM, mamadrama said:

Several Hollywood production companies have studios there and they do a lot of filming.

Dawson's Creek and One Tree Hill were both filmed in Wilmington. It's a very solid location for television.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, sempervivum said:

This has probably been asked and answered years ago, but I just watched a bit of the current episode and wondered why Whit's mother has a deep southern accent, while Whit sounds very middle America. (I googled, but there doesn't seem to be anything about mom, except her connection to Whit). 

I don’t know, but maybe Babs’ family had stronger accents and that’s what she heard growing up.  Plus she’s a ham, maybe she thinks she’s playing the southern belle role.  I think Whitney’s degree was in theatre so many she had voice lessons to lose her accent.  Does NC have strong southern accents, I mean none of them sound like Babs.  Is Babs originally from there?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

She referenced several prior trips to Wilmington in this episode, but I swear earlier she said she'd never been there. When was she supposedly there?

It was kinda jarring to hear her talk about how the US didn't have many COVID cases. Just another reminder if how bad things can quickly get-that was less than a year ago. It also made me a little sad hearing Chase talk about his bar's plans for the summer. I hate the way this pandemic has struck small businesses. ☹️

• Love 4
On 11/19/2020 at 9:09 PM, bichonblitz said:

Wilmington isn't a tiny town. It's a thriving seaside resort community with a population of 123,000. It's the 8th biggest town in North Carolina. Several Hollywood production companies have studios there and they do a lot of filming. The real estate industry is booming and competitive in Wilmington. Median price is $250,000 which is higher than the rest of the state. Because of its tourism and proximity to the beach the real estate market there is even more competitive than Greensboro's. It's in the fastest growing county in the state. There is one major university, University of North Carolina Wilmington, and several community colleges. His bar is not small. It's a live music venue that has one of the biggest capacities in the city. They have full, concert level specs. This isn't your hole in the wall watering place. It's not a place that can be managed from afar-before COVID it had regularly sold out events. 

My bad. I thought he referred to it as "small town."

On 11/22/2020 at 4:34 AM, Irate Panda said:

I don’t know, but maybe Babs’ family had stronger accents and that’s what she heard growing up.  Plus she’s a ham, maybe she thinks she’s playing the southern belle role.  I think Whitney’s degree was in theatre so many she had voice lessons to lose her accent.  Does NC have strong southern accents, I mean none of them sound like Babs.  Is Babs originally from there?

My husband was born and raised in Boone, NC, the mountain town that Twit and the barnacles were just in for the “friends weekend.”  I am from the north.  When I first met my husband I didn’t understand a word he was saying and we were both speaking English!  That’s how strong his accent was.  We’ve been married for 37 years now and and live in CA for the last 33 years.  I don’t hear any accent at all anymore when my husband speaks.  But it always makes me smile when someone says they love my husband’s accent.  My first comment is always, what accent?  The point is, I think that accents can get stronger or lighter depending on who you are around and how they are speaking.

• Love 4
On 11/22/2020 at 4:34 AM, Irate Panda said:

I used to live there, and while they have strong accents, they're not like Babs' drawl. My family is from WV which has the same kind of strong accent--like Chase's but on steroids--and I probably had some version of it growing up, but it's gone now. I moved out of WV in my late teens and now live in CA, which has its own form of strong accent, but between performing and careful speaking, I've been able to cultivate a no-accent "TV anchor" voice (oddly, I can emulate just about any US accent if I want to, and sometimes have to stop myself from emulating a particular accent that just happens to creep in). I think Whitney just thinks herself so modern and worldly that she emulates the vocal fry of southern Californians. Also, younger people are more present on the internet and watching media that doesn't match the local accent, so in their formative years they're learning to sound less like their parents and more like the people they spend time watching in various forms of media. Not sure if that helps, but I do think Babs is hamming it up a bit, and I think the distinction between Whitney's accent and her mom's is part cultivated and part happenstance.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, monagatuna said:

oddly, I can emulate just about any US accent if I want to

I am a natural born mimic (unintentionally) and will pick up whatever accent I am around.  

Regional dialect is kinda a hobby of mine (think Henry Higgins. ) Some places have very strong, distinctive accents (Hello, Boston.  Hey, Yinzer. How you  doin Joizy?) Others are much more  neutral. Watching LIVE RESCUE on Fridays (and previously  LIVE PD), I was surprised at the  difficulty I have understanding some of the southern accents. Cheese and crackers,  you sure they're  speaking English?

• Love 2

Does NC have strong southern accents,

My mom is from southwestern Virginia, right on the border with North Carolina. In that part of those states, natives speak with a pretty heavy southern drawl. Other parts of the state, like Durham, natives have less of an accent but many of the same expressions and phrases. 

• Useful 1
On 11/18/2020 at 12:24 PM, bichonblitz said:

ALL her friends do. Except Todd who we haven't seen much of so far. 

Whit and BooBear have a sick relationship. They are both extremely co-dependant on one another. One thing is for sure, BooBear is a miserable, depressed, fat, asshole prick whether he is stoned or sober. The core personality doesn't change with him. 

Odd. Whit is also co-dependent, a miserable, depressed fat, asshole (stoned? sober? we don't  know, do we). Identical core personalities. Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a match here!!!

• LOL 2