Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E02: Whitney's Long-Distance Relationship

• Start Topic

Airs November 17, 2020

Buddy wants to apologize to Whitney, but he scares her with his intensity; Whitney visits Chase in North Carolina.

Buddy scares Whitney with his intensity? This I gotta see. Does he threaten to relapse if she doesn't forgive him for being right? Does he finally admit his undying love for her and threaten to punch out Chase? Under what possible set of circumstances could our delicate and sensitive Whitney be scared by her Boo Bear, the man she has described as "the most incredible non-romantic heterosexual male life partner I could have ever asked for?"  (Maybe he threatens to get back with Heather? I can see that as totally infuriating her, but scare her?)

And "Whitney visits Chase in North Carolina"?   As opposed to visiting him in South Dakota? Or maybe back at the yurts in West Virginia?  Is it just me or is this a strange way to describe a visit when both people live in the same state? What's wrong with Whitney visits Chase in Wilmington?

I'll add one more grump. Did the TLC or production person who used to write the titles for the episodes quit? What happened to the snark?

• Love 12
57 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

And "Whitney visits Chase in North Carolina"?   As opposed to visiting him in South Dakota? Or maybe back at the yurts in West Virginia?  Is it just me or is this a strange way to describe a visit when both people live in the same state? What's wrong with Whitney visits Chase in Wilmington?

That was my thought as well. Hellooooo, Charlotte,  Greensboro,  and Wilmington are ALL in NC. 

Or maybe it's for the benefit of some of her brain trust fans who might think Chase is in Wilmington  Delaware. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Ketzel said:

I'll add one more grump. Did the TLC or production person who used to write the titles for the episodes quit? What happened to the snark?

Do you mean a title like ‘Whitney visits Chase at his job because his real girlfriend is at his house’?

• LOL 14
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Do you mean a title like ‘Whitney visits Chase at his job because his real girlfriend is at his house’?

Heh. But no, I was thinking along the lines of "Whitney Goes All The Way"

Frustrated by her long distance engagement, Whitney goes to Wilmington to discuss cohabitation. Will Chase meet her in the middle?

Edited by Ketzel
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Heh. But no, I was thinking along the lines of "Whitney Goes All The Way"

Frustrated by her long distance engagement, Whitney goes to Wilmington to discuss cohabitation. Will Chase meet her in the middle?

LOL - That would be a good one. I want to hear how they are going to sell the idea that Chase, the guy with two jobs in Wilmington, should move to Charlotte where she has a hobby she occasionally participates in. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

I'm shocked as hell that people in Chase's life (or his girlfriend's) didn't rat him out sooner. Sure HE signed an NDA, but what about the people who work in their favorite restaurants, distant relatives, their friends, random people who may have seen them in a doctor's waiting room? My close friends would definitely keep their mouths shut, but I know that people in my town would be signing up for Twitter, Reddit, and FB under false names and sharing that shit. "A friend told me that Mamadrama was seen grocery shopping with another guy and..." And yet there wasn't a peep. 

I still believe his relationship with Twit was fake, of course. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
19 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Sure HE signed an NDA, but what about the people who work in their favorite restaurants,

They did out him by posting pictures of his dog on Instagram and saying the dog came in and visited with her mom and dad. We all knew Whitney had never been to Wilmington.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I'm shocked as hell that people in Chase's life (or his girlfriend's) didn't rat him out sooner. Sure HE signed an NDA, but what about the people who work in their favorite restaurants, distant relatives, their friends, random people who may have seen them in a doctor's waiting room? My close friends would definitely keep their mouths shut, but I know that people in my town would be signing up for Twitter, Reddit, and FB under false names and sharing that shit. "A friend told me that Mamadrama was seen grocery shopping with another guy and..." And yet there wasn't a peep. 

I still believe his relationship with Twit was fake, of course. 

Well a couple people did write on his IG page where is GF’s name?  Why isn’t she there with you?  Who this woman (Whitney)?  I’m presuming those were his friends or acquaintances 

• Love 5
On 11/14/2020 at 11:24 AM, Ketzel said:

I read the ep title in a meta / ubersnark way: she's got a super "long distance" to go, to get to anything remotely resembling a "relationship." 😂 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Well a couple people did write on his IG page where is GF’s name?  Why isn’t she there with you?  Who this woman (Whitney)?  I’m presuming those were his friends or acquaintances 

I saw some of those but the comments I saw were made after quarantine. We're there earlier ones? 

9 hours ago, chrenkov said:

They did out him by posting pictures of his dog on Instagram and saying the dog came in and visited with her mom and dad. We all knew Whitney had never been to Wilmington.

That was the brewery, right? There was no outward "outing" in that IG post. Chase nor his GF were tagged in it. Their faces were not shown. The only face you could see was the dog's. People were only able to put it together because the brewery called the dog by name and because Chase had "liked" the post. 

Much more damning were the posts on the GF's FB from a year ago. Chase is actually in them. 

They used to release these episodes On Demand a day or two before they aired. I miss that. Netflix has ruined my TV watching. Now I only want to binge. 

Edited by mamadrama
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I saw some of those but the comments I saw were made after quarantine. We're there earlier ones? 

Yes, I am pretty sure these were made possibly January or in December because I remember reading them on my lunch break at volunteering and was thinking who the hell is Xxxxx?  so it would have been before I knew anything about him having a gf.  I mean I never thought he and Whitney were actually dating but I did think he was single. I would have been home during the the quarantine. I didn’t see any come right out and say this was fake but they were questioning where the gf was and at least one asked Who this woman was meaning Whitney.  I don’t recall any response to either like, Hey, we broke up” or “This is my new gf, Whitney”. The most I really remember was the “if you didn’t know, now you know”.  Honestly, I don’t even think Chase would need to break his disclosure for even acquaintances to figure out something wasn’t right. If he’s seen around town with the gf I think people probably knew he was playing a role on tv.  They never really acted like a couple, if the best is what we saw on tv. About the only thing I could say about Chase being Whitney’s “bf” was that he seem cordial enough to her.  He wasn’t overly affectionate and most of the time unless Ryan was around didn’t seem very engaged at all (pun intended) I still don’t even know why they picked him other than he was Ryan’s friend.  I mean there’s starving actors out there waiting for a break.  Some of them are actually single and could pretend to like Whitney long enough to film this, couldn’t they?

• Love 8
8 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

Yes, I am pretty sure these were made possibly January or in December because I remember reading them on my lunch break at volunteering and was thinking who the hell is Xxxxx?  so it would have been before I knew anything about him having a gf.  I mean I never thought he and Whitney were actually dating but I did think he was single. I would have been home during the the quarantine. I didn’t see any come right out and say this was fake but they were questioning where the gf was and at least one asked Who this woman was meaning Whitney.  I don’t recall any response to either like, Hey, we broke up” or “This is my new gf, Whitney”. The most I really remember was the “if you didn’t know, now you know”.  Honestly, I don’t even think Chase would need to break his disclosure for even acquaintances to figure out something wasn’t right. If he’s seen around town with the gf I think people probably knew he was playing a role on tv.  They never really acted like a couple, if the best is what we saw on tv. About the only thing I could say about Chase being Whitney’s “bf” was that he seem cordial enough to her.  He wasn’t overly affectionate and most of the time unless Ryan was around didn’t seem very engaged at all (pun intended) I still don’t even know why they picked him other than he was Ryan’s friend.  I mean there’s starving actors out there waiting for a break.  Some of them are actually single and could pretend to like Whitney long enough to film this, couldn’t they?

Yeah, I assumed their relationship was fake, but the baby mama came from out of left field for me. I know it's wrong, but part of me loves this shit. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11

Love how in the commercials they're already trying to give Chase the asshole edit when he's not being the unreasonable one (that is, if you bought the idea that the relationship was real). He has a business that requires him to be around on a regular basis while Whiney is complaining that their relationship won't survive unless he jumps and does as she demands immediately, goddamit!

• LOL 3
  • Love 11
11 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Love how in the commercials they're already trying to give Chase the asshole edit when he's not being the unreasonable one (that is, if you bought the idea that the relationship was real). He has a business that requires him to be around on a regular basis while Whiney is complaining that their relationship won't survive unless he jumps and does as she demands immediately, goddamit!

She literally has no reason to live in Charlotte. "The bar would be fine without you"? THAT'S the real asshole move-making him move from his real jobs to placate you in your non-location dependent one.

• Love 20
1 minute ago, mamadrama said:

She literally has no reason to live in Charlotte. "The bar would be fine without you"? THAT'S the real asshole move-making him move from his real jobs to placate you in your non-location dependent one.

That's so typical of who she is.  Everything has to be her way. 

• Love 15
Just now, SevenCostanza said:

Yup.

Isn't it ironic that the whole drama in Paris was over whether or not he wanted kids, and the new drama was over him getting another chick pregnant? That feels...odd. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
Just now, SevenCostanza said:

It's all excuses to justify why this sham relationship didn't survive. Chase is going to be painted as selfish that he wasn't willing to completely abandon his very real responsibilities and make things more convenient for Whitney, whereas her "business" pretty much allows her to live anywhere yet she is incapable of bending even the slightest bit in order to make things work. We're going to be treated to the narrative that poor Whiney did all the work, but mean selfish Chase was only focused on himself and took advantage of her.

This isn't even funny. It's just boring. And insulting that she and the network thinks that anyone buys this crap.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

Yup.

Isn't it ironic that the whole drama in Paris was over whether or not he wanted kids, and the new drama was over him getting another chick pregnant? That feels...odd. 

Well... if I was at all inclined to believe any of this (which I'm not, obviously), I could accept that the pregnancy was completely unplanned. While Chase wasn't looking to be a father or thought that he was ready for it, he stepped up and accepted his responsibilities to his GF and daughter. 

But yeah... given all the episodes where we were tortured with Whiney bemoaning her infertility and desire to be a mother, there's no lacking in the irony that another woman is enjoying everything that she wants and likely will never have.

• Love 15
6 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Well... if I was at all inclined to believe any of this (which I'm not, obviously), I could accept that the pregnancy was completely unplanned. While Chase wasn't looking to be a father or thought that he was ready for it, he stepped up and accepted his responsibilities to his GF and daughter. 

But yeah... given all the episodes where we were tortured with Whiney bemoaning her infertility and desire to be a mother, there's no lacking in the irony that another woman is enjoying everything that she wants and likely will never have.

I'm torn between feeling a little sad, embarassed, and elated. I'm very conflicted. The part of me that pretends it's real feels bad for her. The part of me that knows it's not is all, "Heck yeah, THIS is what I'm here for!"

• Love 12

I dont usually watch this show as I find Whitney to be very annoying. I always thought the Chase storyline was utter bs. There is absolutely no chemistry between them. Whitney is demanding and obnoxious.

And LOL at Chase being so jealous or controlling about Whitney and Buddy , meanwhile he is off impregnating someone else.

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

So....I can't figure something out.  Since this romance was obviously phony, how was the end of this romance supposed to go down?  Phony marriage ceremony?  Nah.  I'm more affectionate with my nephews than those two are with each other.  Was a planned pregnancy Chase's way of bailing out of this show?  

Just a thought, if she loves to "challenge herself" so much, why not just lose some damn weight?  100 lbs would really help.

OMG the camera was literally up her giant ass as she was walking up the stairs to talk to Buddy!  😱😱😱😰😰🤯🤮

Ok Buddy, STFU.   She's toxic to you.  Get a real GF and a life.  Stop lowering yourself for a few bucks.  Either you're acting, but this deep introspection is there in the internet and the world to see.  Your presence on this stood show is only needed to stroke Whitney's ego as she counsels you.  Ugh 

Edited by Snarkastikate
Typo
  • LOL 2
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

So....I can't figure something out.  Since this romance was obviously phony, how was the end of this romance supposed to go down?  Phony marriage ceremony?  Nah.  I'm more affectionate with my nephews than those two are with each other.  Was a planned pregnancy Chase's way of bailing out of this show?  

Just a thought, if she loves to "challenge herself" so much, why not just lose some damn weight?  100 lbs would really help.

OMG the camera was literally up her giant ass as she was walking up the stairs to talk to Buddy!  😱😱😱😰😰🤯🤮

Ok Buddy, STFU.   She's toxic to you.  Go fund a real GF and get a life.  Stop worrying yourself out for a few bucks.  Your presence on this stood show is only needed to stroke Whitney's ego.  Ugh 

I’m pretty sure the original plan was for Whitney to break up with Chase before the wedding (but after they filmed them making all of the plans) because he was a jealous lunatic and didn’t want her to have male friends (ie,.. Buddy). So they could avoid the wedding because that wasn’t going to happen and make Whitney the champion for escaping a controlling bastard.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13

I have to LOL @ Twit and her taking offense that Buddy said ‘there are ways to exercise without being hurting yourself’(in Twits casehes not wrong) ..... You can’t roll your eyes and bitch “are you done”x2 , ‘you do what you...... UH EXCUSE ME - YOU NEEDED HIS HELP TO GET YOUR OAK TREE SIZE THIGHS OVER THE TREE! 

Stop touching me Buddy! -WHAT!!  She’s always space invading 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Ok Buddy, STFU.   She's toxic to you.  Get a real GF and a life.  Stop lowering yourself for a few bucks.  Either you're acting, but this deep introspection is there in the internet and the world to see.  Your presence on this stood show is only needed to stroke Whitney's ego as she counsels you.  Ugh 

She'll never lose weight because that would be admitting that she's not already "fabulous." Also, if she lost weight she'd have to face the fact that people don't like her because of her personality. 

IMO there was going to be a breakup right before the wedding. Just a couple of days or a week or something before. It would leave Whitney devastated and allow her to wallow more. 

I hate it when people say "No X music" and just generalize it all like that. I like country music and there are many different subtypes in it. It's not all Bro Country and drinking songs. Allison Moorer, for one, is an amazing vocalist regardless of genre. 

• Love 7
14 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

That was gross and hilarious at the same time. Camerapeople and editing peeps must hate her. And she was so out of breath confiding to Tal about Buddy's meltdown. Is she 12? She gets more and more unlikable with each season. Oh,  And she is worried about her ageing parents and covid? Whitney, look in the mirror. You are at high risk too.

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

So I decided to turn this on. The first thing I see is Whitney’s talking head where she says because she’s a completely supportive girlfriend she’s going to sacrifice one weekend to go to Wilmington. 

I turned it off again.

1 minute ago, mamadrama said:

When they're on the bed, Whitney tells Chase that late July is "four months away." So this would make it April? We were already in quarantine then. And his GF had been pregnant for months. 

I think that would mean it was March - so just before everything shut down

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

She's toxic to you.  Get a real GF and a life. 

Fortunately for him, Buddy has a real life GF. Unlike how the show tries to present things, his life apparently does not completely revolve around Mt. Whitney.

And we're back to the drama about her and Chase not living close together. It's not like he's got a business that he needs to be in close proximity to and she's totally at loose ends. No, this is some kind of insurmountable obstacle to their future happiness. It's all manufactured drama to give some rational as to why he was "unfaithful" to Whitney and again, give him the asshole edit.

Can someone explain to me why I'm watching this garbage? I mean... I have a litter box to clean. It's not like I can't find something better to do.

• LOL 13
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

So I decided to turn this on. The first thing I see is Whitney’s talking head where she says because she’s a completely supportive girlfriend she’s going to sacrifice one weekend to go to Wilmington. 

I turned it off again.

I think that would mean it was March - so just before everything shut down

I was going with the "late July" and counting to the end of the month. But yes, it could be the end of March. Either way, Chase was an expectant father by then and most likely knew it. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

I was going with the "late July" and counting to the end of the month. But yes, it could be the end of March. Either way, Chase was an expectant father by then and most likely knew it. 

Yes I agree about the baby. I think he knew a while before he told Whitney. I’m not even convinced he told Whitney. I think he might have told TLC who then contacted Whitney to discuss rewriting the script. 

• Useful 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I used to think I'd be able to make it through this GIANT PANTLOAD just to see Twitney get her just desserts... Seriously, I HATEWATCH this dumb show.  But as it's only the SECOND episode, and I'm totally BORED out of my gourd; I'm just gonna have to depend on you guys to catch me up on which shit is actually hitting the fan. 

I just can't.  I'd rather be getting a root canal, toe fungus, something else absolutely HIDEOUS. Sorry y'all. I'm out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, goofygirl said:

I used to think I'd be able to make it through this GIANT PANTLOAD just to see Twitney get her just desserts... Seriously, I HATEWATCH this dumb show.  But as it's only the SECOND episode, and I'm totally BORED out of my gourd; I'm just gonna have to depend on you guys to catch me up on which shit is actually hitting the fan. 

I just can't.  I'd rather be getting a root canal, toe fungus, something else absolutely HIDEOUS. Sorry y'all. I'm out.

I had a root canal last week. I can confirm it's better. At least I got good drugs then. 

• LOL 14
  • Love 3

I love how Mt. Whitney keeps referring to her situation as a long distance relationship. Heifer, you both live in the same state! That;'s not long distance! I live in NY and I dated someone who lived in San Jose. We physically saw one another once every few months because that was all we could afford to at the time. You live three or so hours away from one another! Not exactly convenient, but not like he lives on the other side of the world.

And I'm so tired of her complaining that he isn't burning to drop everything (including his business) and move closer to her so that she doesn't have to go out of her way.

Man... they're looking to drop Ryan like a hot rock, aren't they? Wonder how he's enjoying the view of the underside of that bus.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3

You are so right MamaDrama!  About that air BnB..  AND the root canal!  I think someone else mentioned cleaning out the catbox.... HEY! GREAT IDEA!!!

Too bad for me. Already done that.  Maybe I'll work on my...... sock drawer? clean out my kitchen cabinets? Uh...... drink wine?

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, goofygirl said:

You are so right MamaDrama!  About that air BnB..  AND the root canal!  I think someone else mentioned cleaning out the catbox.... HEY! GREAT IDEA!!!

Too bad for me. Already done that.  Maybe I'll work on my...... sock drawer? clean out my kitchen cabinets? Uh...... drink wine?

I vote for the wine. Then you can forget that you just watched any of this. In fact, I started about 2 hours ago and I've already forgotten most of it. 

• LOL 4
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I vote for the wine. Then you can forget that you just watched any of this. In fact, I started about 2 hours ago and I've already forgotten most of it. 

1 hour ago, goofygirl said:

I'm about an hour behind you!

Afraid I’m going to have to see your wine and raise you a good stiff bourbon . . . Twitney who?

• LOL 4
4 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

IMO that conversation about kids in Paris was the beginning of the set-up of the future break-up.  Who knows how Chase really felt about having kids?  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant to complete the terms of his contract before getting together full-time with his real girlfriend, but that's as far as I go 😄 

3 hours ago, Snarkastikate said:

You can see them setting it up here - this "long-distance relationship" isn't working because they never see each other - they are both sooooo busy!  And then she could look back on the fact that they really weren't on the same page about having kids anyway so . . . . . .

What gets me about it being 4 months away - if they HAD done the Kleinfeld's crossover, would Randy and Lisa have been bringing her dresses from their overstock/never-claimed room since the wedding was way too close to order a dress?  Would we all be expected to believe that they had a giant sized dress back there that just happened to fit Whitney and made her blush like the beautiful bride she planned to be?  Based on last week's episode it seems to me that they were definitely planning on having this season be all about the wedding planning before Whitney bravely "chose herself" and called it off! 

(Let's remember that she was "converting to Judaism" for Avi before he even met Dadwe and Mommy.  If Chase were a real guy who wanted to marry her (or even date her seriously) - her fat ass would be draped across a barstool in Wilmington before her friends and family even knew she was gone!)

• LOL 4
  • Love 6

The "Chase not wanting to have kids" storyline always seemed like a TLC backstory setting up the inevitable split for irreconcilable differences. Sow the seeds of doubt and at the end have him pull an attitude for a few episodes, then Whit could break up with him and seem empowered. I think the girlfriend getting unexpectedly pregnant was just an ironic twist of timing.

• Love 9

I think the original idea was to have them break up over distance. Considering how all this went down, though, I'm surprised they didn't reframe all these episodes to make it look like Whit was going to move to Wilmington over the summer. They could've had a "she was getting ready to move in with him and EVERYTHING and then he CHEATED." It would've created even more drama and sympathy. As is, Whitney is looking like she's a lot at fault. Which, obviously, that's usually the way it goes with her. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Maybe I missed it because I just have the show on in the background, but when Buddy was apologizing (not that he needed to) when did he “scare Whitney with his intensity” as the program description describes.

Edited by Irate Panda
  • LOL 7
3 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I think the original idea was to have them break up over distance. Considering how all this went down, though, I'm surprised they didn't reframe all these episodes to make it look like Whit was going to move to Wilmington over the summer. They could've had a "she was getting ready to move in with him and EVERYTHING and then he CHEATED." It would've created even more drama and sympathy. As is, Whitney is looking like she's a lot at fault. Which, obviously, that's usually the way it goes with her. 

It feels like the show is trying to build a backstory to explain how the relationship got derailed without making Whitney look like a self-centered idiot or giving away the fact that it was all scripted. We've seen so far her making absolutely zero effort to build a life with her supposed fiance, and her clear expectations that Chase is supposed to upend his life in order to be with her. As I and others pointed out, with a business based in Wilmington, it's just not reasonable to expect Chase to leave it in order to move to where Whitney was living (whereas her "business" allows her to live wherever she wants). A business like a bar or restaurant requires on site management every single day and isn't something that Chase would be able to manage from four hours away. Whitney seems to want Chase to make all the sacrifices in order to prove how important she is to him but given that the relationship isn't real, the drama of this "conflict" falls flat.

One thing that I do think is real is that Whitney is genuinely hurt and steamed that Chase is a father with someone else now. I do believe that she very much wants to be a mother (though I don't think I'd trust her with a carnival goldfish, let alone a child) and she feels very real hurt that someone else (someone pretty and thin) is going to enjoy everything that she doesn't have. But given how little she's done to show that this relationship is as important as she claims it to be, it's hard to feel any sympathy for her on the one issue where her feelings might be sincere.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, alabetser said:

The "Chase not wanting to have kids" storyline always seemed like a TLC backstory setting up the inevitable split for irreconcilable differences. Sow the seeds of doubt and at the end have him pull an attitude for a few episodes, then Whit could break up with him and seem empowered.

But what does Chase get out of any of these 'scenarios'? They all make him look like the bad guy. Unless they're paying him a lot more than most reality shows seem to and/or he's really in debt, why would he want his image so compromised -especially since he's in the hospitality business?

• Useful 1