Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E18: Despair

• Start Topic

"Despair" - (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (TV-14, LV) (HDTV)

RICHARD SPEIGHT, JR. DIRECTS - With the plan in full motion, Sam (Jared Padalecki), Dean (Jensen Ackles), Castiel (Misha Collins) and Jack (Alexander Calvert) fight for the good of the common goal. Richard Speight, Jr. directed the episode written by Robert Berens (#1518). Original airdate 11/5/2020.

• Love 1

Are Sam, Dean,and jack the only people left on earth. WAs that the purpose of showing the playground?  If not, why did Donna disappear?  

i doubt we've seen the last of Cas.  I still like Charlie 2.0 better than OG Charlie.

19 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

Jack is NuDeath?. ??? She isn't dead yet. Did he die and already resurrect as NuDeath? Wtf.

Assume that's why he killed the plant.

I don't even know what you're talking about, apparently I missed something.  But, if nobody else is around, does Jack, or anybody, need to be death?   That playrground was where the angels hung out right?  So, that would mean what was left of angels are gone, too? So, reapers, too?  Everything?

• Useful 2

The return of the profound bond! Cas is Deangirl!! A writer remembers fanon and canon!  

Seriously that scene made this season. Cas sacrificed himself to save Dean and  told Dean that he loved him. Furthermore him that knowing Dean changed him for the better and that Dean is not just a blunt instrument of violence..He told Dean that everything he does is about love.

THAT IS HOW DEAN  HUMANIZED AMARA AND WAS THE SAVE FOR SEASON 11. They have to turn things around to reset back to population.

Edited by Castiels Cat
  • Love 13

I'm still digesting.  The scene with Castiel and Dean was intense, although I was cringing a bit because it was over the top.  Hearing Castiel lay it all out for Dean though, was amazing.  I just wish Misha had toned it down some.

The silo was so creepy, even before everyone started to disappear.  It was a good way to have a lot of guest appearances.  I don't know if I can forgive them for disintegrating Donna though!

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Are Sam, Dean,and jack the only people left on earth. WAs that the purpose of showing the playground?  If not, why did Donna disappear?  

i doubt we've seen the last of Cas.  I still like Charlie 2.0 better than OG Charlie.

I don't even know what you're talking about, apparently I missed something.  But, if nobody else is around, does Jack, or anybody, need to be death?   That playrground was where the angels hung out right?  So, that would mean what was left of angels are gone, too? So, reapers, too?  Everything?

He ran his hand over a living plant and it died. Then they cut to Death telling Dean she was dying.

Obviously there will be a reset to a populated Earth. YES. I think everyone is gone.

1 minute ago, Frost said:

I'm still digesting.  The scene with Castiel and Dean was intense, although I was cringing a bit because it was over the top.  Hearing Castiel lay it all out for Dean though, was amazing.  I just wish Misha had toned it down some.

The silo was so creepy, even before everyone started to disappear.  It was a good way to have a lot of guest appearances.  I don't know if I can forgive them for disintegrating Donna though!

Cas was really emotional for an angel. Misha finally got something to do and he used the opportunity. Jensen was amazing too. The way he modulates his face to. Convey emotion. So much in there. Everything in there really.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

He ran his hand over a living plant and it died. Then they cut to Death telling Dean she was dying.

Obviously there will be a reset to a populated Earth. YES. I think everyone is gone.

Maybe he's still radioactive from he bomb.

• Useful 1

The Dean and Cas stuff made this one.

Plot holes and all.

And I don't give a crap about any of the crap that might come out on the social media platforms.

Cas redeemed himself, AFAIC,and even though it's not going to make Dean feel better in the least, it made me feel better.

And I'd bet the ranch that he'll be back.

This is the kind of dynamic that was lightning in a bottle for this show in the beginning. 

I'm very glad that they returned to it at the end.

Edited by Myrelle
Plot holes not potholes :-D
  • Love 16

That beginning was the most ludicrous, contrived, info-dumpy, nonsensical shit I've seen (since last week). How convenient that Jack magically survives the ultra God-killing bomb and gets snapped back within a minute! I need a much stronger word than "ridiculous" for how the status quo was reestablished so easily within the first five minutes of this episode. 

And sorry, I'm still not convinced that Billie's "evil" plan is somehow completely unacceptable, especially in comparison to the alternative ie. Death, Empty, Chuck all after their heads and with no plan B at all. And what the hell is Chuck doing while they're scrambling around?

Obligatory 🤢 for yet more Jack-pimping. It's almost funny how self-centered they're unintentionally making him look for only being disappointed that he couldn't make it up to Sam and Dean. Not a word on how the world is screwed as well. 

Dean's expected grovelling was mercifully short, and Sam got to have the last word of support before they thankfully moved on. Dean looked awesome with the scythe (and happens to play into my theory that he'll become the new Death once everything's put right). This is also the second time he's killed Death with it as well. But huge eyeroll for the show killing off the second all-powerful female cosmic entity within two weeks. Billie dies from a scratch, but Mayonnaise Boy literally blows up and emerges without a mark on him? Ugh...

But holy shit, Cas' last scene with Dean was... good??? He finally told Dean everything he's needed to hear all this time (that blunt instrument callback, oh man), and made it specifically about him. Call me gobsmacked, not only for that, but that Cas' happiness was linked to Dean, specifically. Barely a mention of Jack as a factor. Fuck... this actually made me like Cas a little bit again, and made the previous episode's Dean carnage sting a bit less. This was about as good an exit as could be expected for this character, with this crew. And for such Dean positivity to come from Berens, of all people...

I'll definitely be rewatching that climactic scene, but the rest of the episode was pretty bland mush, so par for the course. The actress for Billie was hamming it up way too much. I liked her better when she was mysterious and impartial instead of mustache-twirling "evil". 

But still, no answer on Dean's death books? Seriously?! He was literally in the damn library and they didn't bring it up?!

• Useful 1
  • Love 12
9 minutes ago, Frost said:

Silos always remind me of this scary TV movie back in the 80s Night of Scarecrow. These bullies killed a poor innocent man that was Mentally Disabled out of sheer ignorance and hate. So his ghost came back as killer Scarecrow. One victim was thrown in a silo and suffocated by falling CORN. Okay, saying it out loud it sounds silly but it was actually creepy! lol. I would be surprised if Kripke hasn't seen that, has a lot of SPN similarities the more I think about it...

Same about Donna! That upset me. Bobby not so much.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Castiels Cat said:

The return of the profound bond! Cas is Deangirl!! A writer remembers fanon and canon!  

Seriously that scene made this season. Cas sacrificed himself to save Dean and  told Dean that he loved him. Furthermore him that knowing Dean changed him for the better and that Dean is not just a blunt instrument of violence..He told Dean that everything he dies is about love.

THAT IS HOW DEAN  HUMANIZED AMARA AND WAS THE SAVE FOR SEASON 11. They have to turn things around to teset back to population.

I agree completely! This was the best scene of the whole season. I’m so glad Cas sacrificed himself for Dean and not Jack. This was like the good old Dean and Cas. Cas had to tell Dean once again that he was worthy to be saved! What a beautiful goodbye! And saying “I Love You” to Dean and thanking him and explaining to him what he was worth- was the happiness Cas needed and longed for. OmG. I just can’t! I’m going to have to go rewatch that scene right now!

I still hope we surprisingly get a Cas cameo before the end, but even if we don’t; I have to say I’m satisfied with Cas ending. 

• Love 17
23 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

The Dean and Cas stuff made this one.

Potholes and all.

And I don't give a crap about any of the crap that might come out on the social media platforms.

Cas redeemed himself, AFAIC,and even though it's not going to make Dean feel better in the least, it made me feel better.

And I'd bet the ranch that he'll be back.

This is the kind of dynamic that was lightning in a bottle for this show in the beginning. 

I'm very glad that they returned to it at the end.

This. So much this. 

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

That beginning was the most ludicrous, contrived, info-dumpy, nonsensical shit I've seen (since last week). How convenient that Jack magically survives the ultra God-killing bomb and gets snapped back within a minute! I need a much stronger word than "ridiculous" for how the status quo was reestablished so easily within the first five minutes of this episode. 

And sorry, I'm still not convinced that Billie's "evil" plan is somehow completely unacceptable, especially in comparison to the alternative ie. Death, Empty, Chuck all after their heads and with no plan B at all. And what the hell is Chuck doing while they're scrambling around?

Obligatory 🤢 for yet more Jack-pimping. It's almost funny how self-centered they're unintentionally making him look for only being disappointed that he couldn't make it up to Sam and Dean. Not a word on how the world is screwed as well. 

Dean's expected grovelling was mercifully short, and Sam got to have the last word of support before they thankfully moved on. Dean looked awesome with the scythe (and happens to play into my theory that he'll become the new Death once everything's put right). This is also the second time he's killed Death with it as well. But huge eyeroll for the show killing off the second all-powerful female cosmic entity within two weeks. Billie dies from a scratch, but Mayonnaise Boy literally blows up and emerges without a mark on him? Ugh...

But holy shit, Cas' last scene with Dean was... good??? He finally told Dean everything he's needed to hear all this time (that blunt instrument callback, oh man), and made it specifically about him. Call me gobsmacked, not only for that, but that Cas' happiness was linked to Dean, specifically. Barely a mention of Jack as a factor. Fuck... this actually made me like Cas a little bit again, and made the previous episode's Dean carnage sting a bit less. This was about as good an exit as could be expected for this character, with this crew. And for such Dean positivity to come from Berens, of all people...

I'll definitely be rewatching that climactic scene, but the rest of the episode was pretty bland mush, so par for the course. The actress for Billie was hamming it up way too much. I liked her better when she was mysterious and impartial instead of mustache-twirling "evil". 

But still, no answer on Dean's death books? Seriously?! He was literally in the damn library and they didn't bring it up?!

I think they hinted at Jack being NuDeath. Billie saying he still had a pur8with that weird smile... the plant dying as he waved his hand over it followed by the seq6jn which she says she is dying.

At least Jack was angelic.

• Love 1

I hated Dean taking all the blame on himself. Yes, it was nice to hear the words out loud about how great Dean is. So why did it all sound more like a punishment than absolution? There's no way he heard it, certainly no one else did, and Cas dies the martyr. Dean will hate himself more than ever. So, thanks? Oh, and no getting justifiably angry about the deal, either. Yeah, not surprised this is a Berens episode at all.

Chief Sam again. Blergh. And on my channel that tongue bath from Bobby was followed immediately by a Walker commercial.  

That line from Billie about Nougat baby still having a purpose was not for nothing. 

The only part that moved me was Donna disappearing. 

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 6
52 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

I'll definitely be rewatching that climactic scene, but the rest of the episode was pretty bland mush, so par for the course. The actress for Billie was hamming it up way too much. I liked her better when she was mysterious and impartial instead of mustache-twirling "evil

Sam's last word on Dean's apology was true. Dean has pulled Sam back from much worse.

And ITA that the storytelling is shit and the Nougatbaby stuff is embarrassing and cringeworthy and my eyes were rolling to the back of my head during the scenes in the silo.

And I also agree about the Billie stuff. All of it. The actress was much better when she played her character as more mysterious and enigmatic,  as in episodes like Nihilism.

Not gonna lie though, I was extremely happy that it was Dean who dealt the killing blow to Death again with the scythe even though the Empty had to be called in in order to save Dean from her dying wish. 

• Love 10

Not gonna lie, I really enjoyed it when Chuck started getting rid of all the bloat.

That might just make enough space to have a decent series finale. Too bad Dabb's the one writing it.

Apart from that, it was shit, and the Dean self-blaming has reached insane levels even though none of this is his fault. We're probably not done with it too.

Anyway, I'm just glad the Castiel/Destiel fans got an acceptable ending. Honestly they deserved it after getting strung along for ratings purposes by the writers for half a decade. That scene did not move me at all of course, since Castiel had been a shadow of himself for ages, but I know I'm not the target demographic.

Two weeks left before freedom.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Chief Sam again. Blergh. And on my channel that tongue bath from Bobby was followed immediately by a Walker commercial

Yeah all of this was cringeworthy IMO, too. 🙄

• Love 2
(edited)

I think this was about as canon Destiel as the show will ever get; blatant enough to please the shippers, and not 100% clear-cut so as to not potentially alienate non-shippers and casual viewers. Cas started the speech by saying that he thought he'd never be happy because he couldn't have the one thing he wanted (paraphrased). And since he goes from there by listing all of Dean's virtues and capping it off with an unambiguous "I love you" (which, in media, is a romantic declaration like 99% of the time), I can only surmise that what Cas had wanted all along was Dean, and that he'd realized that saying all this to him would make him just as happy as if he "had" him. Nothing else really makes sense to me, tbh.

Obviously, this confession is a giant ret-con considering Cas' behavior in seasons 12-15. And if one is to interpret this as canon Destiel, the terrible Bury Your Gays trope would be tagging along right behind it. But I'm admittedly really into the concept of powerful characters falling head-over-heels in unrequited longing for Dean (ie. Crowley, Amara--sort of), so it got me anyway, lol.

But TPTB are still cowards for not only waiting this long and retaining that oh-so-precious ambiguity, but rushing and contriving and sabotaging Dean and Cas' relationship for years so that this climactic declaration of love is a mere shadow of what it could have been. They wanted to have it both ways, so they once again straddled the fence to ensure maximum retention of fans.

Edited by BabySpinach
  • Love 14
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Was Billie trying to kill Dean by heart attack a reset/throwback to the first time he cheated certain death by supernatural means? 

Actual canon being addressed?

Sadly, I'd bet more on it being an accident with this crew.

• LOL 3
7 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

I think this was about as canon Destiel as the show will ever get; blatant enough to please the shippers, and not 100% clear-cut so as to not potentially alienate non-shippers and casual viewers. Cas started the speech by saying that he thought he'd never be happy because he couldn't have the one thing he wanted (paraphrased). And since he goes from there by listing all of Dean's virtues and capping it off with an unambiguous "I love you" (which, in media, is a romantic declaration like 99% of the time), I can only surmise that what Cas had wanted all along was Dean, and that he'd realized that saying all this to him would make him just as happy as if he "had" him. Nothing else really makes sense to me, tbh.

Obviously, this confession is a giant ret-con considering Cas' behavior in seasons 12-15. And if one is to interpret this as canon Destiel, the terrible Bury Your Gays trope would be tagging along right behind it. But I'm admittedly really into the concept of powerful characters falling head-over-heels in unrequited longing for Dean (ie. Crowley, Amara--sort of), so it got me anyway, lol.

But TPTB are still cowards for not only waiting this long and retaining that oh-so-precious ambiguity, but rushing and contriving and sabotaging Dean and Cas' relationship for years so that this climactic declaration of love is a mere shadow of what it could have been. They wanted to have it both ways, so they once again straddled the fence to ensure maximum retention of fans.

IA.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

Sadly, I'd bet more on it being an accident with this crew.

It was the very first thing I thought of when he clutched his chest. It would be so fitting  especially since it was a literal reaper he escaped in Faith. 

• Love 9

Ugh, feeling really nostalgic right now.

I started watching the show during season 2 so Sam and Dean have been and will always be the main appeal to me, but Castiel and his connection to Dean really took Supernatural to new heights. He also dramatically increased the show's popularity, and deservedly so. Their chemistry was off the charts and lead to many unforgettable moments.

Castiel's trajectory was really shaky during the Gamble and Carver eras, but at least they fucking tried to write stuff for him. Dabb did NOTHING with the character aside from a 3 year stint as Jack's #1 fan.

That Castiel monologue here at the end was well written I thought, but it was just Berens putting his almost-forgotten writing chops to good use to send a character off instead of the show giving him a fitting closing arc.

Castiel deserved so much better. And I'm afraid a couple of weeks for now I'll be writing the same thing for Sam and Dean.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

It was the very first thing I thought of when he clutched his chest. It would be so fitting  especially since it was a literal reaper he escaped in Faith. 

I hope you're right. 

• Love 2
Just now, Myrelle said:

I hope you're right. 

It doesn't even matter. It worked for me. 🙂

Given it's Berens, who didn't see the canon/meaning in the Dean/Mary scenes he wrote in S12 until Jensen pointed it out, I'll just call it a happy accident. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
57 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Chief Sam again. Blergh. And on my channel that tongue bath from Bobby was followed immediately by a Walker commercial. 

...And then everyone dying tragically. Again. Dabb giveth and Dabb immediately taketh away. Kind of hard to show a character as a leader when everyone he "leads" ends up dying under his watch. ; )

• Love 7
1 minute ago, AwesomO4000 said:

...And then everyone dying tragically. Again. Dabb giveth and Dabb immediately taketh away. Kind of hard to show a character as a leader when everyone he "leads" ends up dying under his watch. ; )

Nah, their disappearing was clearly not on Sam. He got the leader speech, while Dean was busy taking all the blame on himself. 

• Love 3
Just now, AwesomO4000 said:

Kind of like Dean not feeling one tiny bit better even after Castiel heeped all that love and praise on him right before sacrificing his life for him.

Guess it's just another day in the life of these tragic heroes. 

Not too hard to see where things are headed now.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Nah, their disappearing was clearly not on Sam. He got the leader speech, while Dean was busy taking all the blame on himself. 

But the visual alone... I  mean, come on. A second time? (A third if you count the vampires in the tunnel fiasco). You have to admit it's kind of a funny / ironic point Dabb seems to be making. Sam rallys the troops! Sam makes a speech! *Everybody dies* Hee! (I just find it amusing now.)

And of course Dean blamed himself... that's been in his character since (paraphrase) "The Lindbergh kidnapping? That's on me."

But it's also made obvious that it's not Dean's fault. Castiel even made a point of that in his speech, if I remember correctly.

Edited to add: Oooh! Maybe It's like Sam and sex. If Sam leads someone they end up dead.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • LOL 6
  • Love 5
52 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Was Billie trying to kill Dean by heart attack a reset/throwback to the first time he cheated certain death by supernatural means? 

Actual canon being addressed?

Maybe someone dusted off the big canon book - wasn’t Cas’ bloody handprint where Dean was scarred after Cas raised him from perdition?

• Love 9

I am not even a Destiel shipper but they sold the fuck out of that scene and I can barely breathe. Phew. I don't know if they bring him back. I actually hope they do. Something is happening in The Empty after all. I hope so, because it really sucks for the shippers to wait this long only to have him immediately killed. But the scene was powerful. And my heart is suddenly broken.

I have to assume they will bring back the 100 characters who got smoked, so I can't get too worked up about them.

I didn't love what they did with Billie. She became a bit mustache twirly. But I can live with it because I didn't want to devote the screentime to establish it better. 

• Love 6

Hey!  Speight actually did some directing, not just copying someone else's style (excuse me, "paying homage") to distract viewers from what was actually happening in the scene.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

It doesn't even matter. It worked for me. 🙂

Given it's Berens, who didn't see the canon/meaning in the Dean/Mary scenes he wrote in S12 until Jensen pointed it out, I'll just call it a happy accident. 

👍 🙃

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, shoetingstar said:

It sure was.

1849354958_deanCashandprint.PNG.c21cc71173f258774cf637b14c891738.PNG

Didn't Cas cut his left hand (with his right) to make the sigil?  And isn't that a right handprint?  (Maybe not....with no thumb visible....)  Or maybe angels have two right hands. 😊

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ukgirl71 said:

Sorry, that final Cas/Dean scene just made me cringe.

It was horrible; the words and exaggerated facial expressions were nauseating. I used to like Castiel. I am so glad he is dead. If I were an actor handed this script, I would give the money back and walk off the set.

• Love 1

The writers are tone deaf about dialogue. These insipid conversations and stating the obvious, Castiel's speech were all atrocious. Drawn out and overly dramatic, yet, no feeling.  Cas died and people disappeared. That's it. I used to be amazed at how much could be coherently and artfully packed in to a single episode. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Terese said:

It was horrible; the words and exaggerated facial expressions were nauseating. I used to like Castiel. I am so glad he is dead. If I were an actor handed this script, I would give the money back and walk off the set.

Do you know, they have ALL disappointed me with their apparent acquiescence to the deconstruction of characters they have created, and presumably loved, for more than a decade.  Maybe I’m too bolshie, but I would have fought the bit out for “my” character.

• Love 1
Just now, ukgirl71 said:

Do you know, they have ALL disappointed me with their apparent acquiescence to the deconstruction of characters they have created, and presumably loved, for more than a decade.  Maybe I’m too bolshie, but I would have fought the bit out for “my” character.

In the end, unless an actor is also an EP and has super-creative control over the writing - say Mark Harmon on SPN - they can throw tantrums till the cows come home but if the writer really wants it, the actor will shut up and do it. Any other expectations belong in the realm of fantasy. I've heard so many stories from actors, leads of their shows, on how they fought for xy and got overruled.

The power of an actor lies in contract renegotiations. Or they can go above the showrunners to the network/studio (if they have connections) and gain a reputation for being divas and get punished even more by the showrunners.

The CW is full of some of the worst stories of showrunners abusing actors via their characters and noone stepped in.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2