Type keyword(s) to search

Cute and Fluffy: Best Movie Pets

• Start Topic

We don't have a thread for all the cute and adorable pets we love in movies, so I'm starting one! For the sake of our mental health, maybe we should avoid the ones that were cruelly and pointlessly killed in horror/thriller movies. (Sorry Daisy in John Wick...)

There are too many I love to count, so I'll just start with Kevin the puppy in The Proposal. And Marley from Marley and Me, because he was just like all my aunt's wild and crazy dogs that she doesn't train well...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6

Great idea! We all need a light hearted topic like this. 

My picks:

Toto from The Wizard of Oz: Such a sweet, plucky (not to mention iconic) companion, no wonder Dorothy was so devoted to him. Fun fact, Terry, the dog that played Toto, was female!

Asta from The Thin Man series: I love terriers, and they don't come as lovable and mischievous as Asta!

Gromit from Wallace and Gromit: Probably too smart to count as a pet, but whatever. A brilliant, faithful dog who knits, what more could you want?

Any movie featuring Queen Elizabeth II, because CORGIS!!!!!

Hei-Hei the rooster from Moana: Just because he's hilarious.

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Love 10

I'm a cat lady, so my favorites are felines.  But cats in film are not presented very well, so I have a pretty short list:  Jake from The Cat From Outer Space is probably my favorite, but I also like DC (That Darn Cat) and Sassy from Homeward Bound (to this day, if a cat gets wet, I imitate her complaining "My fur! My fur!"), and the title character in Keanu.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

No list of these critters would be complete without mentioning the Benji franchise. This started in 1974 with the movie entitled Benji about a scruffy homeless dog who soon befriends a doctor's young son and daughter as well as their housekeeper Mary (played by Patsy Garrett who did the Chow-Chow-Chow dance in Purina Cat Chow commercials in the 1970's through 1980's)  but must stay out of the doctor's way since the doctor dislikes dogs. Anyway, after Benji does a heroic deed, the doctor changes his tune. Oh, and Benji was played by a performer named Higgins who had been featured as the nameless dog seen chasing the Cannonball on the tracks  in the credits and having misadventures with Uncle Joe in Petticoat Junction but, by the time of this movie, Higgins was already getting old though still remarkably agile and attentive despite his age. Oh, it should be noted that this movie reunited Higgins with his Petticoat Junction co-star Edgar Buchanan as well as featuring a cameo by Frances Bavier (TAGS Aunt Bee) as a the owner of a cat (just ONE cat as opposed to her real life fate) in what would be all three performers' last movie roles. Alas the next year Higgins would soon go to that great kennel in the sky  at age 17 and for the first few sequels, the role would be taken over by Higgins's daughter Benjean. The series would be revived several times- most recently in 2018 but what's interesting is that, from Higgins's death onward, Benji's always been played by female dogs despite the character being male.  

This is the exact opposite of the Lassie movie and TV series (plural) in which the character was female yet always portrayed by a male dog! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 7
(edited)

How about Skeltor, the greyhound Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets as a pity gift from his crappy girlfriend in 50/50? I loved the simple way Skeltor laid his head on top of his shoulder when he was bummed out on said crappy girlfriend cheated on him. Dogs rule.

But just to show I love cats too, I'll also add Bleeker in Gone Girl. I think that cat knew everything the whole time before Nick even caught on...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 6
On 10/17/2020 at 9:55 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Great idea! We all need a light hearted topic like this. 

My picks:

..........Asta from The Thin Man series: I love terriers, and they don't come as lovable and mischievous as Asta!...........

Asta in real life was Skippy, and man was he was the king canine of screwball comedies...  Appeared in the "The Awful Truth" with Gary Grant and Irene Dunne as  the subject of a custody battle between them as a sparring divorced couple.

I loved him as "George" in my favorite SB comedy "Bringing up Baby", yup he's the one that ran off with the dinosaur bone...

• Love 8
On 10/17/2020 at 12:55 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

My picks:

Toto from The Wizard of Oz: Such a sweet, plucky (not to mention iconic) companion, no wonder Dorothy was so devoted to him. Fun fact, Terry, the dog that played Toto, was female!

Asta from The Thin Man series: I love terriers, and they don't come as lovable and mischievous as Asta!

Gromit from Wallace and Gromit: Probably too smart to count as a pet, but whatever. A brilliant, faithful dog who knits, what more could you want?

Any movie featuring Queen Elizabeth II, because CORGIS!!!!!

Hei-Hei the rooster from Moana: Just because he's hilarious.

You have excellent taste! 

I have to say Toto because my beloved fur brother is a Cairn Terrier, though he was a blonde we affectionately referred (ha, I misspelled that as refured because...pets) to as our dumb blonde.

I absolutely love every single thing about the Thin Man, including their wonderful dog, Asta. 

And yes, Corgis. Corgi's are the one thing that will get me to stop and watch a commercial. There is a corgi in my condo complex and if I happen to see that she is walking by I get up and stand in my doorway and watch. This is what Covid has done to me. lol 

While Hei Hei was hilarious, I have a real soft spot for Pua the pig. 

I basically just stole all your answers. lol 

I will add Beethoven from the movie of the same name because St. Bernard!!!!!! I just want to wrap my arms around that big pile of fluff. 

• Love 5

I love Beethoven too. I'd love to have a St. Bernard in theory but but they get so big I couldn't handle it...I'd probably get as frustrated as Charles Grodin, even though we all saw that deep down he loved Beethoven. 

Don't forget the puppies in the sequel!

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Queen Anne's rabbits from The Favourite are delightful.

Hide contents

And death to Abigail for cruelly trying to squash one with her foot for shits and giggles.

Yeah but the bunny didn’t get hurt, at least.

Loved Bradley Cooper’s real life goldendoodle dog in A Star is Born. The scene of

him sitting by the garage when Bradley hung himself

destroyed me.

• Love 5
On 10/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, caracas1914 said:

Asta in real life was Skippy, and man was he was the king canine of screwball comedies...  Appeared in the "The Awful Truth" with Gary Grant and Irene Dunne as  the subject of a custody battle between them as a sparring divorced couple.

I loved him as "George" in my favorite SB comedy "Bringing up Baby", yup he's the one that ran off with the dinosaur bone...

What about Baby himself - the pet leopard of Katharine Hepburn's character? Yes, he seemed to get along fine with her both on and offscreen but he soon proved too problematic for others to the point that they quickly used extensive editing and other tricks to avoid having him  be filmed around actual human cast members!  He may not have been fluffy  but he was somewhat cute (albeit intimidating)! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Love 3
23 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Speaking of cute but intimidating, how about Rajah, Jasmine's pet tiger from Aladdin? A perfect companion and watchdog, and how sweet is this moment?!tenor.gif.4731fb21d53127cd3c8d8c1681aa4df7.gif

Agree ! Good thing Rajah's a cartoon tiger and not a flesh-and-blood larger species feline!

• Love 5

Boy from Love and Monsters. I didn't know much about this movie going in, but was pleasantly surprised. A big part of its appeal is the dog that joins the main character on his journey. Boy is smart, brave, and has his own character arc.

17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I also want to add Pegasus from the 1981 Clash of the Titans. Because who wouldn’t want a flying horsie? Also he was a very good boy.

How about the flying dragon Falcor in NeverEnding Story( 1984)?  He not only carried the young warrior Atreyu  to far flung spots but also encouraged him against completely overwhelming odds. Yes, the whole thing seemed preposterous but somehow the idea of all the characters surviving because they believed in their absurd reality was a good message for viewers to be encouraged to enhance their imaginations! 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

How about the flying dragon Falcor in NeverEnding Story( 1984)?  He not only carried the young warrior Atreyu  to far flung spots but also encouraged him against completely overwhelming odds. Yes, the whole thing seemed preposterous but somehow the idea of all the characters surviving because they believed in their absurd reality was a good message for viewers to be encouraged to enhance their imaginations! 

I swear, when I was a kid, I thought he was a dog! Because of the ears I guess.

And lets not forget poor Artex.

• Love 7

Do main characters that just happen to be pets count? Because I would like to add Duchess and her kittens from The Aristocats. And even though foxes are not usually kept as pets, Tod from The Fox and the Hound was sort of one, since he was adopted shortly after birth. And how cute was he:

dccrqb5-835cf1f5-e0c0-4d3a-b0ab-b8dc1df7

fox-hound7.jpg?fit=0,%209999&crop=0,0,10

The scene when he was left in the forest breaks my heart every time.

21f511fb0e456c61bac1591ca8c74090.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Do main characters that just happen to be pets count? Because I would like to add Duchess and her kittens from The Aristocats. And even though foxes are not usually kept as pets, Tod from The Fox and the Hound was sort of one, since he was adopted shortly after birth. And how cute was he:

dccrqb5-835cf1f5-e0c0-4d3a-b0ab-b8dc1df7

fox-hound7.jpg?fit=0,%209999&crop=0,0,10

The scene when he was left in the forest breaks my heart every time.

21f511fb0e456c61bac1591ca8c74090.jpg

Ooh yes! I would’ve loved a fox for a pet when I was little! 

That scene is a killer. I know the widow had no choice, but…you can’t just leave a domesticated animal alone in the woods and expect it to fend for itself. Yeah yeah, it’s a Disney cartoon and therefore things all worked out. But still!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Not that I'm not an animal lover - I am, but I don't get affected by movie animals until Wink from "Cruella". It is the only time I have cooed over an on-screen animal. He's darling.

• Love 2
On 1/11/2021 at 7:41 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I love Goose in Captain Marvel! Cat or Flerken, he was the best!

I love Goose too. 

Oh this is hard. Sassy from Homeward Bound , Togo from Togo, all the cats in Sleepwalkers ….

Raja was the BEST PET. 7yrs old me in 1992 wanted a pet Tiger like Jasmine. 

• Love 7

I've a few picks for the thread! 

Milo, the jack russel in The Mask.

The whole pack of siberian huskies in Eight Below

Verdell, the brussels griffon in As Good As It Gets.

Skip, another jack russel, in My Dog Skip,

Rodolpho, the ferret, in Along Came Polly.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

Great film, and as a dog owner and dog lover,

Hide contents

his inevitable passing broke my heart!  

I seriously think dogs like Skip or Verdell should've won an oscar for their roles as supporting actors!

Spoiler

I watch this movie whenever I have the opportunity and every single time I feel that gut wrenching pain when Skip is left behind by an 18-year old Willie and passes away not long after. Never gets easy...

• Love 3
On 9/5/2021 at 9:17 AM, Spartan Girl said:

Dug Days on Disney+ has renewed my love for Dug in Up. If you guys haven’t watched the shorts yet, do it NOW. Once again Pixar brought out the inner workings of your average hyperactive golden retriever perfectly.

I’ve been meaning to watch those. Now that I have a dog (a golden retriever/Great Pyrenees mix) Dug from “Up” is extra special to me. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

They used about 20 kittens to film the role

I don't think it was that many*, but they did wind up using about twice as many as they thought they would because they forgot how quickly kittens grow, so halfway through filming the kittens were too big and they had to get new ones.  They were all adopted from animal shelters, and Tiffany Haddish took one of them home with her.

*Edited to say I just checked, and it was seven - three initially, then four replacements when those three aged out.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't think it was that many*, but they did wind up using about twice as many as they thought they would because they forgot how quickly kittens grow, so halfway through filming the kittens were too big and they had to get new ones.  They were all adopted from animal shelters, and Tiffany Haddish took one of them home with her.

*Edited to say I just checked, and it was seven - three initially, then four replacements when those three aged out.

I'm happy to that they kept six of the kittens and Tiffany Haddish adopted the seventh one. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Leslie Mann’s Great Dane in The Other Woman. Yes, some of the scenes that involved him were gross, but he was such a big sweet loyal dog that he deserves to be on this thread.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 2