Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Spartan Girl

Cute and Fluffy: Best Movie Pets

Recommended Posts

We don't have a thread for all the cute and adorable pets we love in movies, so I'm starting one! For the sake of our mental health, maybe we should avoid the ones that were cruelly and pointlessly killed in horror/thriller movies. (Sorry Daisy in John Wick...)

There are too many I love to count, so I'll just start with Kevin the puppy in The Proposal. And Marley from Marley and Me, because he was just like all my aunt's wild and crazy dogs that she doesn't train well...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Great idea! We all need a light hearted topic like this. 

My picks:

Toto from The Wizard of Oz: Such a sweet, plucky (not to mention iconic) companion, no wonder Dorothy was so devoted to him. Fun fact, Terry, the dog that played Toto, was female!

Asta from The Thin Man series: I love terriers, and they don't come as lovable and mischievous as Asta!

Gromit from Wallace and Gromit: Probably too smart to count as a pet, but whatever. A brilliant, faithful dog who knits, what more could you want?

Any movie featuring Queen Elizabeth II, because CORGIS!!!!!

Hei-Hei the rooster from Moana: Just because he's hilarious.

 

Edited by Wiendish Fitch
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Hei-Hei the rooster from Moana: Just because he's hilarious.

I love that crazy rooster.  He might be my favorite Disney Princess animal sidekick.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a cat lady, so my favorites are felines.  But cats in film are not presented very well, so I have a pretty short list:  Jake from The Cat From Outer Space is probably my favorite, but I also like DC (That Darn Cat) and Sassy from Homeward Bound (to this day, if a cat gets wet, I imitate her complaining "My fur! My fur!"), and the title character in Keanu.

  • Like 7
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

No list of these critters would be complete without mentioning the Benji franchise. This started in 1974 with the movie entitled Benji about a scruffy homeless dog who soon befriends a doctor's young son and daughter as well as their housekeeper Mary (played by Patsy Garrett who did the Chow-Chow-Chow dance in Purina Cat Chow commercials in the 1970's through 1980's)  but must stay out of the doctor's way since the doctor dislikes dogs. Anyway, after Benji does a heroic deed, the doctor changes his tune. Oh, and Benji was played by a performer named Higgins who had been featured as the nameless dog seen chasing the Cannonball on the tracks  in the credits and having misadventures with Uncle Joe in Petticoat Junction but, by the time of this movie, Higgins was already getting old though still remarkably agile and attentive despite his age. Oh, it should be noted that this movie reunited Higgins with his Petticoat Junction co-star Edgar Buchanan as well as featuring a cameo by Frances Bavier (TAGS Aunt Bee) as a the owner of a cat (just ONE cat as opposed to her real life fate) in what would be all three performers' last movie roles. Alas the next year Higgins would soon go to that great kennel in the sky  at age 17 and for the first few sequels, the role would be taken over by Higgins's daughter Benjean. The series would be revived several times- most recently in 2018 but what's interesting is that, from Higgins's death onward, Benji's always been played by female dogs despite the character being male.  

This is the exact opposite of the Lassie movie and TV series (plural) in which the character was female yet always portrayed by a male dog! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

How about Skeltor, the greyhound Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets as a pity gift from his crappy girlfriend in 50/50? I loved the simple way Skeltor laid his head on top of his shoulder when he was bummed out on said crappy girlfriend cheated on him. Dogs rule.

But just to show I love cats too, I'll also add Bleeker in Gone Girl. I think that cat knew everything the whole time before Nick even caught on...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

On 10/17/2020 at 9:55 AM, Wiendish Fitch said:

Great idea! We all need a light hearted topic like this. 

My picks:

..........Asta from The Thin Man series: I love terriers, and they don't come as lovable and mischievous as Asta!...........

Asta in real life was Skippy, and man was he was the king canine of screwball comedies...  Appeared in the "The Awful Truth" with Gary Grant and Irene Dunne as  the subject of a custody battle between them as a sparring divorced couple.

I loved him as "George" in my favorite SB comedy "Bringing up Baby", yup he's the one that ran off with the dinosaur bone...

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/17/2020 at 12:55 PM, Wiendish Fitch said:

My picks:

Toto from The Wizard of Oz: Such a sweet, plucky (not to mention iconic) companion, no wonder Dorothy was so devoted to him. Fun fact, Terry, the dog that played Toto, was female!

Asta from The Thin Man series: I love terriers, and they don't come as lovable and mischievous as Asta!

Gromit from Wallace and Gromit: Probably too smart to count as a pet, but whatever. A brilliant, faithful dog who knits, what more could you want?

Any movie featuring Queen Elizabeth II, because CORGIS!!!!!

Hei-Hei the rooster from Moana: Just because he's hilarious.

You have excellent taste! 

I have to say Toto because my beloved fur brother is a Cairn Terrier, though he was a blonde we affectionately referred (ha, I misspelled that as refured because...pets) to as our dumb blonde.

I absolutely love every single thing about the Thin Man, including their wonderful dog, Asta. 

And yes, Corgis. Corgi's are the one thing that will get me to stop and watch a commercial. There is a corgi in my condo complex and if I happen to see that she is walking by I get up and stand in my doorway and watch. This is what Covid has done to me. lol 

While Hei Hei was hilarious, I have a real soft spot for Pua the pig. 

I basically just stole all your answers. lol 

I will add Beethoven from the movie of the same name because St. Bernard!!!!!! I just want to wrap my arms around that big pile of fluff. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I love Beethoven too. I'd love to have a St. Bernard in theory but but they get so big I couldn't handle it...I'd probably get as frustrated as Charles Grodin, even though we all saw that deep down he loved Beethoven. 

Don't forget the puppies in the sequel!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

9 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Queen Anne's rabbits from The Favourite are delightful.

  Hide contents

And death to Abigail for cruelly trying to squash one with her foot for shits and giggles.

 

Yeah but the bunny didn’t get hurt, at least.

Loved Bradley Cooper’s real life goldendoodle dog in A Star is Born. The scene of

him sitting by the garage when Bradley hung himself

destroyed me.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/19/2020 at 4:03 PM, caracas1914 said:

Asta in real life was Skippy, and man was he was the king canine of screwball comedies...  Appeared in the "The Awful Truth" with Gary Grant and Irene Dunne as  the subject of a custody battle between them as a sparring divorced couple.

I loved him as "George" in my favorite SB comedy "Bringing up Baby", yup he's the one that ran off with the dinosaur bone...

 

 

What about Baby himself - the pet leopard of Katharine Hepburn's character? Yes, he seemed to get along fine with her both on and offscreen but he soon proved too problematic for others to the point that they quickly used extensive editing and other tricks to avoid having him  be filmed around actual human cast members!  He may not have been fluffy  but he was somewhat cute (albeit intimidating)! 

Edited by Blergh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Wiendish Fitch said:

Speaking of cute but intimidating, how about Rajah, Jasmine's pet tiger from Aladdin? A perfect companion and watchdog, and how sweet is this moment?!tenor.gif.4731fb21d53127cd3c8d8c1681aa4df7.gif

Agree ! Good thing Rajah's a cartoon tiger and not a flesh-and-blood larger species feline!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

As long as we can do cartoon pets, Snoopy. I know some people don't like him, but I ain't one of them. 

Speaking of beagles -- which I love -- Buddy from Regarding Henry was adorable.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Boy from Love and Monsters. I didn't know much about this movie going in, but was pleasantly surprised. A big part of its appeal is the dog that joins the main character on his journey. Boy is smart, brave, and has his own character arc.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Punch the beautiful fluffy Persian cat in The Woman in the Window (now on Netflix). And just to put you at ease, this isn’t a movie where anything happens to the pet! 🎉🎉🎉🎉

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I also want to add Pegasus from the 1981 Clash of the Titans. Because who wouldn’t want a flying horsie? Also he was a very good boy.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I also want to add Pegasus from the 1981 Clash of the Titans. Because who wouldn’t want a flying horsie? Also he was a very good boy.

How about the flying dragon Falcor in NeverEnding Story( 1984)?  He not only carried the young warrior Atreyu  to far flung spots but also encouraged him against completely overwhelming odds. Yes, the whole thing seemed preposterous but somehow the idea of all the characters surviving because they believed in their absurd reality was a good message for viewers to be encouraged to enhance their imaginations! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Blergh said:

How about the flying dragon Falcor in NeverEnding Story( 1984)?  He not only carried the young warrior Atreyu  to far flung spots but also encouraged him against completely overwhelming odds. Yes, the whole thing seemed preposterous but somehow the idea of all the characters surviving because they believed in their absurd reality was a good message for viewers to be encouraged to enhance their imaginations! 

I swear, when I was a kid, I thought he was a dog! Because of the ears I guess.

And lets not forget poor Artex.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

And lets not forget poor Artex.

That still makes me sad!

The little dog from The Artist was really cute.

 

Edited by Constant Viewer
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/5/2021 at 9:37 PM, Constant Viewer said:

The little dog from The Artist was really cute.

Ah, how could I ever forget Uggie?! He MADE that movie! Oh I miss him.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Do main characters that just happen to be pets count? Because I would like to add Duchess and her kittens from The Aristocats. And even though foxes are not usually kept as pets, Tod from The Fox and the Hound was sort of one, since he was adopted shortly after birth. And how cute was he:

dccrqb5-835cf1f5-e0c0-4d3a-b0ab-b8dc1df7

fox-hound7.jpg?fit=0,%209999&crop=0,0,10

The scene when he was left in the forest breaks my heart every time.

21f511fb0e456c61bac1591ca8c74090.jpg

 

  • Like 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Do main characters that just happen to be pets count? Because I would like to add Duchess and her kittens from The Aristocats. And even though foxes are not usually kept as pets, Tod from The Fox and the Hound was sort of one, since he was adopted shortly after birth. And how cute was he:

dccrqb5-835cf1f5-e0c0-4d3a-b0ab-b8dc1df7

fox-hound7.jpg?fit=0,%209999&crop=0,0,10

The scene when he was left in the forest breaks my heart every time.

21f511fb0e456c61bac1591ca8c74090.jpg

 

Ooh yes! I would’ve loved a fox for a pet when I was little! 

That scene is a killer. I know the widow had no choice, but…you can’t just leave a domesticated animal alone in the woods and expect it to fend for itself. Yeah yeah, it’s a Disney cartoon and therefore things all worked out. But still!

  • Like 3
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Not that I'm not an animal lover - I am, but I don't get affected by movie animals until Wink from "Cruella". It is the only time I have cooed over an on-screen animal. He's darling.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/11/2021 at 7:41 PM, Spartan Girl said:

I love Goose in Captain Marvel! Cat or Flerken, he was the best!

I love Goose too. 
 

Oh this is hard. Sassy from Homeward Bound , Togo from Togo, all the cats in Sleepwalkers ….

Raja was the BEST PET. 7yrs old me in 1992 wanted a pet Tiger like Jasmine. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size