Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E23: RNC & Kenosha, WI

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Please do not speculate on what will be discussed.  Watch, then post.

• Start Topic

Oh, let's hope they take him up on that challenge! 'Cause yeah, you make that kind of promise, you'd best follow through!

And OMG, that kid ranting about John XD! That's fantastic. Kudos to the people of Danbury for having such an awesome sense of humor about that whole bit. 

As for the main story...um, okay, that sheriff. What. The fucking. Hell? I don't even know where to begin in trying to sort out that crazy ranting. 

Rivers' comments are spot on and said exactly what I was thinking. Indeed, it's amazing how the people who claim to be so "in fear" in these kinds of situations also tend to be the same ones who are walking around armed to the teeth. It's like when I watch some true crime show and someone claims they shot someone in "self defense", only for it to be revealed that no, it really wasn't a self-defense situation. 

Another thing these people are failing to realize is that when those who are in charge of enforcing said law and order abuse it, it shouldn't be a surprise that the citizens follow suit. You can't claim to support law and order while either getting away with your own crimes or supporting those who do. 

Kushner's snide comments about professional athletes being "rich enough to take time off" is...well, it's just plain rich. I don't even follow sports, but I applaud all the athletes speaking up. Also, as always, Tucker Carlson continues to prove why he doesn't deserve any air time. 

"Donald John President"? 

• Love 14

Chadwick Boseman 😢

John has just been straight up angry the past few weeks, and understandably so. Both the RNC and Kenosha represent the disaster our country currently is. (COVID referred to in the past tense? Sheriff and Tucker being pro-vigilante? Argh!) Bless the NBA and WNBA for raising awareness.

And thank goodness for the unintentional comedy of the RNC nominators (soooo bad, and so boring after the gorgeous DNC roll call), and the Danbury response. I hadn’t heard that the sewer plant name was just a joke. Noooo! I agree with John, it must happen! 

• Love 9

Having Black Panther in the opening credits was a nice touch. Thought it was odd that there was no mention otherwise.

This police department...wow, just wow. They are basically acting like the SS. "Warehousing"? Yeah, there is already a word for this. It's Concentration Camp.

John is not the only one who is angry. I predicted that the end of 2020 would be dicey last year, with both the election in the US and a hard Brexit looming. But I didn't see a global epidemic, protests all over the world and what is looks like it might become a civil war happening.

Sadly the RNC looks ridiculous to us, but apparently there are many people who buy into the nonsense.

• Love 9

My only criticism is that John didn’t focus on the main stories for the entire episode. But since we won’t have a new episode for four weeks, ending on Danbury was appropriate.

Was there footage of any of Trump’s speeches in the episode? That’s how terrible the RNC was, where the supporting characters came off as bad as him. I’m thinking that if the pandemic wasn’t happening. ol’ Jared still wouldn’t be dubbed over by Gilbert Gottfried, because Jared can’t be considered a joke anymore. If John sees him as worthy of the same amount and darkness of shade as Tucker Carlson, I can’t argue with that.

This week was horrific. John could have done a solid hour, but then it would’ve ended on us coming out of an “And Now” segment and seeing his legs drifting from the top of the screen. And the greatest reminder of his life wouldn’t be a sewage treatment plant, but a Chlamydia ward for koalas. And that would have been sad.

Seriously, though, I know John won’t be doing spa stuff 28 days straight, but he deserves the break. And maybe another Emmy or two.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 7

OMG that Danbury segment was EPIC - it just may be the best thing I've ever seen on this show. John even mentioned my hometown! I'm swooning.

The RNC played to their constituency. Make no mistake, there are many, many people in this country who believe every word that was said and who feel exactly the same way - folks who truly think they are good people, who believe they are just trying to protect the American way of life, the American Dream. Frightening.

• Love 10

Main topic:  Republican National Convention and shootings in Kenosha, Wisconsin

Kudos—and more Emmys—to John and his staff. And thanks to TPTB for uploading this to YouTube for non-HBO subscribers to watch. I'd call that a public service.

• Love 8

I liked John saying that the RNC theme was Telling Lies in Front of Flags. Their baldfaced lying drives me crazy, yet so many people believe it and eat it up. Some may love that it drives the Left crazy. "Owning the libs" and all that. 

John's fists being Paul Hollywood and Mary Barry cracked me up.

The news makes me so angry and frustrated and suicidal, thus it was a most welcome relief to have the Danbury segment. 

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

John's fists being Paul Hollywood and Mary Barry cracked me up.

The news makes me so angry and frustrated and suicidal, thus it was a most welcome relief to have the Danbury segment. 

The fists got a big laugh from the Khyber household as well.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

I have enjoyed the Danbury segments because my parents live there! 

Are they going to challenge John to a fight?  He has promised them a thrashing. 😄

I needed the Danbury segment at the end of the show.  The rest was so bleak.  John anger was palpable.  Needed something to leave me thinking but not leave me in a rage prior to bed.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Are they going to challenge John to a fight?  He has promised them a thrashing

They are both scrappy but also not leaving the house due to COVID so a challenge will have to wait for a vaccine.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

They are both scrappy but also not leaving the house due to COVID so a challenge will have to wait for a vaccine.

HBO will pay his "twin" - John Cena - to tag in....

Or HBO could call Dana White to host an event on Fight Island 

Edited by paigow
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2

What an outstanding episode. My favourite two John Olivers were there: Righteously Angry Ollie, and Silly Gleeful Ollie. When he told Jared Kushner to fuck off I could pretty much see the steam coming out of his ears, and it was SO cathartic.

In a show full of highlights, my favourite was John giving the WNBA due credit for their early and ongoing BLM activism. It was a parenthetical comment, but I noticed it. I noticed it HARD. God, I love this show.

• Love 13

I used to take my daughter to Danbury Mall, because it had a carousel.

John Oliver throws sludge back at Danbury officials, demands sewage plant be named in his honor

The mayor told the Associated Press Monday that city officials were considering Oliver’s offer and planned  to respond by the end of the week. He said the City Council would have to approve any renaming of the sewage plant.

"I think it’s very generous and we appreciate that," Boughton said. 

The mayor told USA TODAY to "stand by" as a new video will drop Thursday detailing the decision.

• Love 7
On 9/2/2020 at 12:18 AM, meowmommy said:

I used to take my daughter to Danbury Mall, because it had a carousel.

John Oliver throws sludge back at Danbury officials, demands sewage plant be named in his honor

Back in the day my father would participate in a classic car show on Saturday nights at the old Marcus Dairy, which was across the street from the Danbury Mall. Sometimes I would go with him and after looking at the cars, I'd walk over to the mall and shop shop shop, lol. They had a nice three-floor Macy's and a french pastry and coffee shop. 

• Love 3
On 9/6/2020 at 2:12 PM, DEL901 said:

The gift that keeps on giving.  Danbury has accepted but only if John shows up at the ceremony person.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/06/media/john-oliver-danbury-mayor-sewage-plant/index.html

If the host didn't accept the offer, Boughton said he had already been talking to the "two Jimmys and to Noah," referring to late-night rivals Jimmy Fallon, Jimmy Kimmel and Trevor Noah.

Boughton also revealed that if Oliver failed to come to Danbury, a porta-potty would be named after Oliver: "The John Oliver **** House." 

This is FANTASTIC! I hereby take back all my doubts about Danbury’s leadership and add my wishes to theirs. “Don’t Oliver this up.”

• LOL 7
  • Love 2