Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E07: Snared

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

I started to cry when I saw that gorgeous fox struggling in that snare. I didn’t want it to die. Bless you, Mark, for releasing that beautiful creature. Roland would have killed it. I just hope Mark can save his shelter. Adorable baby, BTW.

Callie hit the jackpot. I feel sorry for the rabbits to, but at least we don’t have to see them in their death throes.

Sorry that Joel tapped, but he made the right call.

• Love 3
(edited)

Bye Joel.  How far away was that tree he cut down?  He seemed to be wasting a lot of energy.  His shelter looks weak, too.

Food cache did look vulnerable.  Lots of critters can climb trees.  Not sure about his fridge, doesn't matter now.

Mark has a nice shelter.  Karma my ass.  He didn't let that fox go out of the goodness of his heart.  He knows it's illegal to take them.  eta:  What would have happened if it was dead when he found it?  So the fire is karma too?

Rock house Roland is living large.  Testicle and snout soup, oh my.  And some brain juice on the side.  Now that mini cabin is how you protect your food!

Kielyn.  Her shelter looks good.  Ugly weather.  She would be set with a moose, if she could preserve and protect enough of that meat.

A bounty of bunnies for Callie!

Edited by PaperTree
  • Love 6

Joel was wasting a lot of energy, but he was also done in by a high metabolism.

4 rabbits is a large number for one day.  To this relatively outdoor-ignorant armchair viewer they seem to die awfully fast.  Does the trap choke them?

That fox doesn't know how lucky he is.  Does anyone know the reason they can't be killed?  What if they died in the trap?

• Love 4

Snares can break a neck, depending on how quickly an animal runs into it, but they will strangle an animal to death. I am assuming the fox is a protected species and cannot be hunted. I am sure that there are some type of rules in place if a fox is killed in a snare or a trap. I know that in some places that if a protected animal is killed the hunter is responsible for calling the officials and turning the carcass over. The hunter is not allowed to benefit from the death of the animal. I can think of one case on a show were Chip Hailstone killed what he thought was a male Caribou and it turned out to be a female. He called the officials, they took the meat and distributed it to other families. The hide and bones and the like went to tribal elders to use. 

Hunters are not perfect, they are not going to get in massive trouble if there is an occasional misstep but they are not going to be allowed to benefit from the accident. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

It mentioned on the screen that foxes could not be killed. 

I wasn’t looking at the screen at the point. In any case, Roland would have wanted to killed it.

11 hours ago, PaperTree said:

Bye Joel.  How far away was that tree he cut down?  He seemed to be wasting a lot of energy.  His shelter looks weak, too.

Food cache did look vulnerable.  Lots of critters can climb trees.  Not sure about his fridge, doesn't matter now.

Mark has a nice shelter.  Karma my ass.  He didn't let that fox go out of the goodness of his heart.  He knows it's illegal to take them.  eta:  What would have happened if it was dead when he found it?  So the fire is karma too?

Rock house Roland is living large.  Testicle and snout soup, oh my.  And some brain juice on the side.  Now that mini cabin is how you protect your food!

Kielyn.  Her shelter looks good.  Ugly weather.  She would be set with a moose, if she could preserve and protect enough of that meat.

A bounty of bunnies for Callie!

Maybe he meant he got there in time to release it.

• Love 2

I have to fast forward through Ronald morphing into Cannibal  Hannibal Lechter. I find it very disturbing. He’s great at what he does and he seems well-positioned to win this thing, but I find him kind of creepy.

Was anyone else worried that the fox had died while Mark was trying to extricate it? Foxie had gone so limp. I thought it might try to fight back. What a beautiful creature.

Smart for Joel to tap out. His condition wasn’t going to improve. 

• Love 9

I just wanted Joel to take a couple days where he just rested and ate a bit more before making the decision. The wolverine incident seemed to really demoralize him and made him vulnerable to tapping. 

One thing about Roland, you can't say he doesn't practice nose to tail dining. How is he not winning the million? 

When I saw that fox, I thought I was gonna have to turn it off cuz no way was I watching that adorable thing die. Then I saw the blurb saying they couldn't kill them, so I was spared. Whew!

The one girl's little rodent friend is super cute. 

• Love 11

Aw, Joel.  He was my favorite but he really needed to leave.  I especially liked that he was honoring a promise he'd made to his wife.  

Roland seems like a lock to win.  He certainly knows what he's doing although he's too cave man for me.  It will be interesting to learn if he goes to the end or if something untoward takes him down.

Mark's personality seems at odds with the arsenal on his wall.  

I also like, um, Callie if she's the one who snared all the rabbits.  I keep getting the women's names mixed up.  She also knows what she's doing and she isn't crying on camera.  

• Love 8

I think Callie? is the one racking up the good karma points by allowing that adorable short tailed weasel to share her abode as welcome company, and not see it as dinner. 

Four rabbits for her! That was an amazing haul for one day. It pays to be nice to weasels!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, TVbitch said:

When I saw that fox, I thought I was gonna have to turn it off cuz no way was I watching that adorable thing die.

That fox had a beautiful coat.  But I half expected Roland to come out of nowhere and stab it to death while Mark was trying to free it.

That was a cute little short tailed weasel - not just a weasel, a short tailed weasel.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, rmontro said:

That fox had a beautiful coat.  But I half expected Roland to come out of nowhere and stab it to death while Mark was trying to free it.

It would have been interesting to see how Roland would have handled that situation.  He knows he can't kill a fox.  We might have seen a more human/less caveman side of him, who knows?

• Love 7

Sorry to see Joel go, but better he leave before he did physical damage.  Loved his little freezer, but Roland's food cache was a beast.  The more I see him, the more I think he goes the distance.

Mark should be glad he snared that fox; it stopped the fox from eating his rabbit. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SassyCat said:

I think Callie? is the one racking up the good karma points by allowing that adorable short tailed weasel to share her abode as welcome company, and not see it as dinner. 

Four rabbits for her! That was an amazing haul for one day. It pays to be nice to weasels!

Never tease a weasel because teasing is not nice! 😁 That weasel was totes adorbs!

• Love 4

Joel has expressed that his only regret is that he did not take a couple days of rest before deciding if he could continue. I was thinking that if he was going into full ketosis, there is a transition period that can make you feel extremely weak and like you've seriously hit the wall, until your body adjusts. I think that is why his legs kept failing him. 

• Love 6

I'm glad the fox didn't have to die. I have been waiting to read comments here before watching each episode, and this looks like another episode I can't watch. I am just not in a place where I can watch or hear animals suffering, dying painfully in fear. I can manage it if they die quickly and humanely, but wounding an animal and then waiting for it to die is just not my idea of entertainment. I will probably quit watching.

Somehow I am less upset by dead fish. Even the dead mice was OK cuz they died quickly. Boom, lights out. Past seasons seemed to lean more heavily on fish as food.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, snarkish said:

Couldn't have said it better myself. Each episode he grosses me out more and more. Hubby thinks he's going to win though, for the sheer fact that's he's been in every after show, when they rotate the other participants.

I find him creepy too but I also think if I went down in a plane in the wilderness I'd hope he survived with me. It looked like he killed the musk as quickly as possible. I'd have to say barring injury he's the hands on favorite to win.

• Love 9
(edited)
4 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I find him creepy too but I also think if I went down in a plane in the wilderness I'd hope he survived with me. It looked like he killed the musk as quickly as possible. I'd have to say barring injury he's the hands on favorite to win.

I would be afraid that I would be his first kill.😱🥺

Edited by qtpye
  • LOL 12
3 hours ago, DrewPaul2010 said:

I assume if it were real survival and you could not tap out the rules go out the window.

Even if the Canadian authorities pick you up and throw you in jail, at least you get fed.  Hopefully.

1 hour ago, qtpye said:

I would be afraid I would be his first kill.😱🥺

Only as a last resort, probably.

• Love 2

I'm rooting for the gal that does some kind of wilderness adventures with her husband up in the Attic during the Winter .months.  I think she'd have knowledge of what's to come!

I surely can't tell those girl's apart.  I do know the one has black hair. They both look good so far!

16 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

the Attic during the Winter .months.

I'm pretty sure they go on outdoor adventures, but who knows?😉 I'm rooting for her too but I have my doubts if she'll make it.

• LOL 4
On 7/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, Yeah No said:

Joel was wasting a lot of energy, but he was also done in by a high metabolism.

4 rabbits is a large number for one day.  To this relatively outdoor-ignorant armchair viewer they seem to die awfully fast.  Does the trap choke them?

That fox doesn't know how lucky he is.  Does anyone know the reason they can't be killed?  What if they died in the trap?

there's a law vs killing the foxes, it seems, or at least, it's in the contract History has with the natives of that area. a rabbit is just  700 calories. They need to eat 4 of them EVERY day if that's all the food that they have.  Small game is a waste of time. You have to burn a lot of calories checking those snares twice a day, Jordan set over 100 snares to average one rabbit per day. He burned more calories checking the snares than they provided. I'd not bother with such stuff, were it not for the need to check the big game traps/snares and the baited treblehoooks and traps for predators and raptors. If you have to check the big game traps, might as well have some small game snares set along the same route. but the fish nets are what will feed you.