Type keyword(s) to search

Cruel Summer in the Media

• Start Topic

Freeform Announces Programming Slate for 2020 and 2021

From executive producers Bert V. Royal and Jessica Biel, Freeform's highly anticipated psychological thriller "Cruel Summer" will now debut in 2021. Olivia Holt ("Marvel's Cloak & Dagger") returns to the network to co-star in the series. The unconventional drama takes place over three summers in the 90s when a beautiful and popular teen goes missing, and a seemingly unrelated girl transforms from a sweet and awkward outlier to the most popular girl in town, eventually becoming the most despised person in America. Each episode is told from alternating POVs. The series stars Olivia Holt, Chiara Aurelia, Michael Landes, Froy Gutierrez, Harley Quinn Smith, Allius Barnes, Blake Lee and Brooklyn Sudano. "Cruel Summer" comes from eOne and executive producers Bert V. Royal, with Iron Ocean Productions' Jessica Biel and Michelle Purple. Max Winkler directs and executive produces the pilot.

1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

The writers have already said they will answer all the questions/end this season's mystery in the finale. 

I know but like...I've heard that before. 

I also read that they had been thinking about what a S2 could look like so it will be interesting to see if they keep the same characters or tell a different story. 

• LOL 2

I know they were thinking of ideas.  I do wonder if they might do something more contemporary.  Maybe the three summers are 1996, 2005 and 2020 with different actors in the roles.  Cold Case-esque.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

The show was written and filmed well before it started airing -- looks like filming took place starting in November 2019 (according to this article) and lasted for six months (according to this one). I like cases like this because it means the show can play out as envisioned, free from fandom influence. Second season is always the real test.

• Useful 1

Cruel Summer's Harley Quinn Smith on Being Bisexual and Playing Queer

“I absolutely identify with her. She never really comes out to anybody, but it has always been clear to me. Even before I had discussions with the showrunner in the beginning, I always knew that Mallory was absolutely queer. Such a big part of her identity is her queerness,” Smith said.

Guess we weren't all clowns for thinking Kate and Mallory looked like they were going to kiss all those times!

“It makes me so happy that the LGBTQ community is so represented in our show. Not just by one character but by multiple characters, which I feel like shows or films are sometimes like, Oh, OK, there’s one queer person. That counts. Check,” Smith said.

And that's why I assumed they wouldn't!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I got Mallory and then changed one answer and got Vince. Although as long as I didn't get Jeanette I am okay, lol. 

Same.  Apparently, for me, the dividing line was Funny versus Loyal.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2021 at 2:26 PM, methodwriter85 said:

I really think this show should work as anthology, but the season 2 teaser doesn't seem to indicate that.

I agree it should be an anthology.

The teaser was released about a week after they were renewed and said they had no idea if they would continue the story or do something different. So I don't think we should read too much into it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

I agree it should be an anthology.

The teaser was released about a week after they were renewed and said they had no idea if they would continue the story or do something different. So I don't think we should read too much into it.

All in all I just want Kate's ending to be her happily dancing and moving on with her life.

• Love 3

I really think this show should work as anthology, but the season 2 teaser doesn't seem to indicate that.

I haven't been able to find a premiere date for season 2. I want to start watching this show but I know myself and if there's too long of a wait between seasons, I'm going to forget everything that happened. If I ever go back to Trinkets, I'm going to have to start from the beginning. So is there a big cliffhanger at the end of season 1 or is it more like say, the end of the first season of Big Little Lies?

11 hours ago, aradia22 said:

So is there a big cliffhanger at the end of season 1 or is it more like say, the end of the first season of Big Little Lies?

All the questions are answered so you're fine to watch it. 

This reminded me though that I don't think we've heard yet whether they're going to do season 2 with these same characters or new ones. So I'm assuming they haven't even started filming yet. Bummer, I was hoping this would be back this summer.

• Love 1

I will miss the original cast, but I think they would have ruined it if they tried to continue the original story. Hopefully they can recapture the same vibe that made season 1 good. Although with a new showrunner that is in question.

I was hoping they'd do what some anthology shows do and keep some of the same cast, but just in totally new roles. Like how Sarah Paulson was in multiple seasons of American Crime Story.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Apparently it’s gonna be 1999/2000/2001, which are my high school years so I’m kind of excited about that at least.

Party Like It's 1999, the Y2K disaster that didn't happen, and the 2001 disaster that did.

• Love 1

"Cruel Summer" Returns for Highly Anticipated Second Season This Summer

Set in an idyllic waterfront town in the Pacific Northwest, the next chapter of "Cruel Summer" follows the rise and fall of an intense teenage friendship. Approaching the story from three different timelines surrounding Y2K, the season twists and turns as it tracks the early friendship between Megan, Isabella and Megan's best friend Luke, the love triangle that blossomed, and the mystery that would impact all of their lives going forward.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Freeform Sets Premiere Dates for ‘Cruel Summer,’ ‘Grown-ish’ and ‘Praise Petey’ (TV News Roundup)

Season 2 of “Cruel Summer” will debut on June 5, 2023 at 9 pm with a two-episode special. The series will then move to its 10 pm time slot. According to the show’s official synopsis, this season will swirl through “three different timelines surrounding Y2K, the season twists and turns as it tracks the early friendship between Megan, Isabella and Megan’s best friend Luke, the love triangle that blossomed, and the mystery that would impact all of their lives going forward.” 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 2