Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 7/21/14

7/21: Sue Turton (Roving Correspondent for Al Jazeera English)
7/22: Richard Linklater (director – promoting movie “Boyhood”)
7/23: George Takei (actor – promoting documentary “To Be Takei”)
7/24: TBA

• Love 1

I hope Jon actually talks to Richard Linklater about Boyhood.  Normally I don't care if he doesn't talk to actors/directors about whatever they're plugging, but in this case the movie is so unique that I really want to hear more about it.

The correspondents yelling at Jon over Israel and Palestine was perfectly apt. Jordan stood out well in the pack.

Loved the way Jon took apart the myth of Ronald Reagan using Saint Ronnie's own words and deeds. The right are so desperate and pathetic to create their Bizzaro Reagan to peddle to the rest of us as the real deal. And Lindsey Graham, we'll call Putin a thug just so long as we can call you Suckface McShitwipe.

• Love 2

That opening bit was light and goofy, but it spoke volumes in its way. I do hope that they give the situation a full segment sometime this week.

I hadn't heard that zombie plane story about MH17. It's right out of Sherlock. What could possibly motivate the rebels to come up with such a bizarre conspiracy theory? It's as ridiculous as the black hole theories about MH370.

Jon does a pretty good Reagan impression.

I hadn't heard that zombie plane story about MH17. It's right out of Sherlock. What could possibly motivate the rebels to come up with such a bizarre conspiracy theory? It's as ridiculous as the black hole theories about MH370.

To be fair, that's one of the tamer conspiracy theories coming out of Russia.  Spend a few seconds on the RT website and read the comments there. Or don't because it's THAT infuriating. My husband is Ukrainian with some family in the East. It's been a difficult few months.

The correspondence thing was great. Jordan was pretty good for his parts. Were they all filmed in a row and then put together? The cuts seemed weird. The really dumb thing about MA now flying over Syria is that Russia sold the same missile technology to them.  I mean they aren't as trigger happy and dumb as the Donetsk dumbasses, but still. Perhaps MA should re-evaluate. Or just go bankrupt sooner.

Good interview with the AlJazeera woman.  I remember when those reporters were taken, didn't realize they were still in prison. I disagree with her assertion that the US could be of much help, despite the previous relationship the 2 countries may have had, US sentiment is not high there. I wonder if going to Egypt last summer helped Jon's outlook on what's going on there.

• Love 2

Jon does a pretty good Reagan impression.

Absolutely! And that whole segment was fantastic.

Can anyone tell me to whom the reporter was talking during last night's Moment of Zen? Because he looked just like Kiefer Sutherland.

• Love 1
I hadn't heard that zombie plane story about MH17. It's right out of Sherlock.
It reminded me of Lost so I suspect it was actually Charles Widmore who sent the plane of corpses. He's evil like that.
  • Love 1

Oh, but I like your version better, ktwo. Now I'm imagining Cuomo questioning Jack Bauer about the situation.

To be fair, that's one of the tamer conspiracy theories coming out of Russia.  Spend a few seconds on the RT website and read the comments there. Or don't because it's THAT infuriating. My husband is Ukrainian with some family in the East. It's been a difficult few months.

I'm sorry, maculae. It must be such an emotional situation to deal with, especially if you're separated from family. I hope that his family remains safe in all that is happening.

I wonder if going to Egypt last summer helped Jon's outlook on what's going on there.

I was wondering that, as well, and not only visiting Egypt but also filming in Jordan. Where in Jordan was he filming? Amman, I think? That's so close to the West Bank, I wonder if it had any influence on how he viewed the Israel/Palestine situation.

It reminded me of Lost so I suspect it was actually Charles Widmore who sent the plane of corpses. He's evil like that.

How ashamed should I be to admit that I've never seen Lost?

Did anyone else notice something off about Jon's upper lip last night? I thought it looked like a cleft palate scar with makeup over it. It didn't affect his speech so it probably wasn't dental. Bad blending of makeup? It was distracting darn it!

• Love 2
(edited)

I didn't notice Jonny-bun's scar the first time 'til I watched the first segment.

The correspondence thing was great. Jordan was pretty good for his parts. Were they all filmed in a row and then put together? The cuts seemed weird.

To be honest, until I saw him, I was too distracted by the awesomeness of the correspondents. I think everyone noticed the scar with the huge close-ups from the camera.nest, until I saw him, I was too distracted by the awesomeness of the correspondents. I guess zooming close and back would be too awkward for TV watchers. Plus, the camera needed the perfect angle so all the correspondents had enough room around the desk, making enough impact to gang up on Jonny-bun's face.  Now it will never go away, unless the makeup team decides to use more concealer.

Good interview with the AlJazeera woman.  I remember when those reporters were taken, didn't realize they were still in prison. I disagree with her assertion that the US could be of much help, despite the previous relationship the 2 countries may have had, US sentiment is not high there. I wonder if going to Egypt last summer helped Jon's outlook on what's going on there.

Loved the interview, too, though I couldn't help but think this could be another potential sequel for Rosewater. As for Ms. Turton's remark on US support, I feel that the government has a lot of baggage to put up with right now. Divided parties, the suggestion of fighting fire with fire (a la Ukraine), the audacity to negotiate with foreign leaders by calling them 'thugs' (BTW I think Lindsey Graham went a lil' way South calling Putin a 'thug'), yeah I think the US can't control what happening in every country when their own government is constructing a wall made of guns, other violent instruments, and their blood money.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie

Ugh again with this outdated cold war strategy of throwing your dick on the table. That doesn't work anymore because the world is a very different place that it was in the 80s. 

Ok, Putin's a thug. And? You going to fight him down at the baseball field after school? 

The president isn't going to publicly say that. Getting literally the rest of the major players in the world to agree to sanctions is pretty good. 

Isn't this what "back channels" are for? Do they still have those?

(edited)

I found Jon curiously subdued about the imprisoned journalists. Not that I expected an impassioned creed about freedom of the press, but I felt he had a certain distance to the whole thing that was a bit surprising.

Getting literally the rest of the major players in the world to agree to sanctions is pretty good.

This has its own set of problems, especially in Europe, where Russia is a major trade partner. It's one reason the official Dutch reaction has been so muted.

Isn't this what "back channels" are for? Do they still have those?

They exist, but Putin probably thinks back channels are for pussies. He's such a megalomaniac.

Edited by dubbel zout
(edited)

I found Jon curiously subdued about the imprisoned journalists. Not that I expected an impassioned creed about freedom of the press, but I felt he had a certain distance to the whole thing that was a bit surprising.

I wonder if it crossed his mind that association with The Daily Show has been troublesome for people like Maziar Bahari and Bassem Youssef. There was also Alexei Navalny, the Russian activist who appeared in Jason's Sochi-ish series, although he was arrested for unrelated reasons. (Rajdeep Sardesai, whom Jason interviewed in India, later resigned from his job.) Anyway, that kind of track record has to feel a bit uncomfortable.

At this point, if Jason is sent out to do an overseas correspondent series again, you know that Jon has it in for that country.

Edited by Fremde Frau
This has its own set of problems, especially in Europe, where Russia is a major trade partner. It's one reason the official Dutch reaction has been so muted.

Yeah. My point was despite that, Obama got a lot of these countries to agree to sanctions. That's pretty good. Certainly better than the "bully the bully" approach. It's like basically everything else: Obama is a pussy, except when he's the Imperial President. He's weak, but he's forcing his will on the american people. 

They exist, but Putin probably thinks back channels are for pussies. He's such a megalomaniac.

I can buy that.

• Love 1

ktwo, it was Rep. Mike Rogers that Cuomo was interviewing. (source) Cuomo didn't care for ending up as the MOZ.

Interviewing Rep. Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) from the battle zone, Cuomo asked if the congressman could “shoot down” the notion that Ukrainian forces had shot down the airliner. Even though Cuomo said “excuse the pun,” some media sites wrote citations. Jon Stewart of the “Daily Show” chose Cuomo’s pun as a “Moment of Zen,” a quick segment that often highlights cable stumbles.

“I made a mistake,” says Cuomo. “In terms of who reacted to it and how, it’s strictly a case of consider the source.” Stewart is a comedian who indulges in takedowns of the mainstream media, and bloggers “are what they are — they traffic in snark and negativity,” says Cuomo. Later in the chat, Cuomo circled back to that comedian: “If it seems like I’m being disrespectful of Jon Stewart, it’s only because I am. He’s funny but he doesn’t do the job we do and he shouldn’t pretend he does.”

(edited)

In other news, Mark Levin is getting a lot of mileage out of his outrage. He was apparently on Hannity tonight, per Hannity's tweet:

War of Words: @marklevinshow takes on @TheDailyShow's Jon Stewart's comments on Israel and Gaza. Levin is on next with more reaction

No matter what more he says or doesn't say, it seems like most reactions will go the way of that bit last night.

EDIT: Here is Levin's appearance on Hannity, for anyone interested. (The video is on YouTube, not Fox.)

Edited by Fremde Frau

“If it seems like I’m being disrespectful of Jon Stewart, it’s only because I am. He’s funny but he doesn’t do the job we do and he shouldn’t pretend he does.”

Yeah... he does it a little better sometimes, actually.  His impassioned rants and unwillingness to let legislators off the mat about dying 9/11 first responders who couldn't get care for the cancers they contracted at Ground Zero; the horrendous VA debacle; and even to some extent marriage equality, have had an actual effect and helped to change policy and put things into action that these congressmen should have been doing themselves.  But they didn't, until he rightfully shamed them, so Cuomo can take a seat.

• Love 6

It'll be sooo interesting if McCain takes the bait and reappears on TDS to face the bullshit he spewed. But I doubt it, because he's a chickenshit fraidy-cat.

So how much would it cost to see Jeff Zucker sitting in a dunk tank filled with starving piranhas?

• Love 3

I was thinking more along the lines of having Anderson Cooper paint your house. While shirtless. That would have to do something for potential Kickstarter contributors, wouldn't it?

You think John McCain understands that Jon takes on all comers? Or does he intentionally ignore that? Forcing him to watch Sarah Palin for 24 hours? Damn, I dunno if he deserves that, Jon. Have a heart, man.

• Love 1
(edited)

Stephen Colbert v Sarah Palin? McCain will lose that competition every time. Thank you for unleashing your minions upon us, Jon. How can we ever repay you?

I wanted that #letsbuycnn to be real. How sad is that? And for a moment there, I was quite excited by the fantasy of Jon owning CNN. That would be--in the true Homeric sense of Jon's personal narrative over the past 15 years--epic.

Oh, well. Back to real life...

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 2
(edited)

Stephen Colbert v Sarah Palin? McCain will lose that competition every time. Thank you for unleashing your minions upon us, Jon. How can we ever repay you?

I wanted that #letsbuycnn to be real. How sad is that? And for a moment there, I was quite excited by the fantasy of Jon owning CNN. That would be--in the true Homeric sense of Jon's personal narrative over the past 15 years--epic.

Oh dang it! I was almost about to open my wallet and donate so I can earn a spot in the CNN 21-box. Oh well...

As for the "wrong-off", it would take a miracle for McCain to slink out of his foxhole and step on Jonny-bun's territory. I thought the wager for the loser was just dead-on hilarious. If they were to have an actual "wrong-off" I wouldn't mind who wins cuz I'll be thanking God McCain is actually on TDS and not being a coward. I just know Jonny-bun will be ready with his truckload of archives.

BTW I wonder whether Colbert will approve or despise the bear priest graphic now that I realize it.

Edited by The Luvly Junkie
  • Love 1
(edited)

“I made a mistake,” says Cuomo. “In terms of who reacted to it and how, it’s strictly a case of consider the source.” Stewart is a comedian who indulges in takedowns of the mainstream media, and bloggers “are what they are — they traffic in snark and negativity,” says Cuomo. Later in the chat, Cuomo circled back to that comedian: “If it seems like I’m being disrespectful of Jon Stewart, it’s only because I am. He’s funny but he doesn’t do the job we do and he shouldn’t pretend he does.”

Yeah, the father is pretty much the only Cuomo in public life who has any shred of dignity, and bluntly I've started wondering about him since his kids started acting up in public. The brothers are pretty much the most petulant thing to emerge from New York State since Mark Green. 

That said, I seem to recall Jon Stewart spending a fair amount of time on Crossfire patiently explaining to Tucker Carlson that he isn't a journalist (even though he is one of America's most trusted news brands). Anyone recall how that worked out for Little Lord Fauntelroy?

I'm noticing a trend. Stewart seems to really annoy people who were born on third base.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 6

I would really like the #letsbuycnn to be real. Because I AM Linda, and I can't find my keys. 

Boyhood needs to open wide, like right now.  I am very upset that I can't see it for at least another ten days. 

I can't get myself worked up over Boyhood, whatever its filmmaking challenges and artistic merits might be. To me, it's just another what-it's-like-to-be-a-white-guy-no-really! study. And I get plenty of that in the real world. Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.

• Love 4
(edited)
Forcing him to watch Sarah Palin for 24 hours? Damn, I dunno if he deserves that, Jon. Have a heart, man.

McCain needs to never forget what horror he unleashed upon the wider American public by naming that woman his running mate. Frankly, twenty-four hours is being kind.

“If it seems like I’m being disrespectful of Jon Stewart, it’s only because I am. He’s funny but he doesn’t do the job we do and he shouldn’t pretend he does.”

Aw, poor Chris Cuomo. Not. What does he expect? I have a certain sympathy for him, as I bet he was probably thinking to himself "don't say 'shot down,' don't say 'shot down,'" and of course he then does. But he acts as if Jon spent an entire segment mocking him, when it was simply a MoZ. Dude, admit it was the wrong thing to say and drop it.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2

Right there with you, @attica. I fast forwarded through the interview.

I keep thinking about Hope & Glory, which came out eons ago and was about the home front in WW2 England from a boy's point of view. The really interesting story was his older sister's but we only got glimpses from his pov.

I can't get myself worked up over Boyhood, whatever its filmmaking challenges and artistic merits might be. To me, it's just another what-it's-like-to-be-a-white-guy-no-really! study. And I get plenty of that in the real world. Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.

Attica and ABay, please reconsider: this is a movie worth seeing. It's like watching someone's life unspool in front of you, and in this case, the lives involved are not of the privileged kind.  I doubt anyone will go through the trouble of constructing something like this again.

• Love 2
(edited)

Again, I don't doubt it has merits. Still don't care.  I'm happy you enjoyed it, A Boston Gal.

Now I can't stop seeing Jon's misshapen lip. That wasn't always there, right? Do we think he got in a bar fight or something?

Edited by attica
  • Love 1

McCain came off a little less than statesmanlike. "I'm an elected official, JS is a comedian, with a particular brand that's really been around since tv started. He's allowed to say what he wants." End of story. 

What do you care if he's wrong. Go do your job.

• Love 2
(edited)

Howard Kurtz has a weird thing about Jon Stewart. I follow him on twitter and he brings Jon up in conversation and on his show an inordinate amount of times.  For instance, it seemed like a weird thing to throw into that John McCain interview. If I were to get a John McCain interview during these times, his opinion on a late night comic/satirist is not on the top of my question list. It's not even on my question list. 

Edited by maculae
  • Love 3

It's been a nicecool summer here in Southern Ontario. I have all the windows open.

If there's one thing anyone without a brain needs to understand after the contradicting rulings on the Affordable Care Act, is that you need to get off your fucking asses and get out and vote so that so that you don't allow Republican cumwats like John Boehner the opportunity to ruin your lives.

I too miss Ollie on TDS. But he seems to be at a better place on HBO.

George Takei touched on his time at an internment camp when he was interviewed on Real Time with Bill Maher, but he really explained it in full detail with Jon. Would have liked to have heard more on his feud with William Shatner, because that sounds interesting.

• Love 1
(edited)

I missed the first segment, darn.

I was kind of disappointed by the second segment. I kept wanting it to be about something, but then I realized it was going to be a silly, giggly piece and that was all. Jon keeps circling around the situation in Gaza; I wonder if he's saving up for tomorrow or if he's really been pressured so much that he can't talk about it anymore. (In an article about LWT, I recall Tim Carvell alluding to how nightmarish some days could be on TDS because of the pushback on certain segments. Jon's certainly sparked criticism just for that little bit last week, and it hasn't let up still.) Speaking of LWT, though, I loved Jon giving John a shout-out. I miss his interactions with Jon and with the other correspondents, but he is truly owning his show on HBO. Jon must be so proud!

The interview with George Takei was so poignant. I was particularly moved by his memory of reciting the pledge of allegiance while seeing the barbed wire and guns pointed at him, and his father's comment that a democracy could be as great as its people, or as fallible. Jon's question about how his parents did or did not carry the anger and bitterness with them made me think of growing up in Hiroshima, Japan. I saw both sides of that history, the American missionaries and the people of Hiroshima. Every American adult in my childhood defined forgiveness and love as exclusively Christian virtues, yet the reality I grew up around was like night and day from that worldview--so many Christian Americans in churches who supported us couldn't let go of Pearl Harbor, hated the Japanese people, and never condemned the bombs, yet my Japanese neighbors and friends acknowledged their country's war crimes while forgiving Americans for the bomb and welcoming them (us) as friends in a new generation. I've never forgotten that very early lesson, that forgiveness and love and respect for humanity have no exclusive religious or cultural orientation.

Anyway, long story short: I loved the interview with George Takei and was excited to see the note that there is more on the web. Looking forward to the iTunes download tomorrow.

In other news: dedicated trolls keep trying to "fix" Jon's Wikipedia page. First attempt. Second attempt.

Edited by Fremde Frau
  • Love 10

Loved Jon's analogy about the stop sign. Absolutely perfect.

The interview with George Takei was interesting. On a minor point, I think Jon knew about the internment camps but just not about Takei having been in one. I learned that a couple of years ago when I heard about a musical based on Takei's experiences there. I had first learned about this part of American history when I saw a made-for-TV movie called Farewell to Manzanar in the 70's.

• Love 3
(edited)

you need to get off your fucking asses and get out and vote so that so that you don't allow Republican cumwats like John Boehner the opportunity to ruin your lives.

Sadly, we cannot vote out SCOTUS, that ship having sailed.

What happened to all the property owned by the interned people? Was it confiscated, sold off? Could they keep their bank accounts? (I have a feeling the answer is miserable on all counts...)

I would totally watch Sharquitogator.

Edited by attica
(edited)
The interview with George Takei was interesting. On a minor point, I think Jon knew about the internment camps but just not about Takei having been in one.

Fully agreed, I think Jon was familiar with the fact that the U.S. interred Japanese Americans, it's well known.  I've know that since high school, but I didn't realize how truly hateful the situation was until I did a paper in college that required interviewing veterans of the Pacific theater and holy hell, it was stunning to me how much anger and mistrust the veterans still held.  It made sense to an extent after I studied the Pacific theater more; there was a terrible cultural clash in approaches to how war is waged, among other things that was terribly scarring (pretty much for all concerned, on both sides).   That sounds sort of dim, and I apologize for that, but in high school it was presented as a reasonable move and made to sound a lot more like everyone lived in comfort, so it wasn't presented factually, basically.  When my son started taking college level history classes that was one of the things we talked about at length, the difference between what we are sort of casually taught in high school and the far murkier,  and often distressing business that is the truth of the matter.   

Then I also read a copy of Dr.Seuss Goes to War and nearly fell the hell over afresh.  I hadn't known that the illustrator had worked as a political cartoonist, but that was about the least comfortable book I ever owned, because he was assigned a lot of anti-Japanese war propaganda cartoon assignments.  Holy racist scare tactics, shocked the hell out of me, but it was clearly indicative of the mindset of the times during the war.   There was also a very popular book in the 90s called Snow Falling on Cedars that had as its B-plot a lot of material about the internment camps, so I think a lot of people learned of them then (there was a subsequent movie, but it's a murder mystery more than anything).  

Anyway, I'm really grateful to people like George Takei for continuing the conversation.  It's too often forgotten, plus there isn't a more delightful man, as far as I'm concerned.   I'm not personally all that interested in his feud with Shatner, because I think I can figure out why it came about.  Shatner being Shatner, after all.  The man famous for a huge variety of things, but also for being ass enough to go on record saying scifi fans should "get a life" .  He's sort of known for being arrogant and judging by that infamous comment, ungracious.  Presumably Takei disliked because I doubt he improves in those qualities upon more intimate, daily exposure to them.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 3

What happened to all the property owned by the interned people? Was it confiscated, sold off? Could they keep their bank accounts? (I have a feeling the answer is miserable on all counts...)

"The internees were ultimately released in January 1945, and many returned to their homes and tried to rebuild their lives. Some found that their homes had become occupied by strangers and needed to evict them in order to move back in. For many others, the years behind barbed wire had resulted in financial calamity, and they faced the daunting task of starting over with nothing."

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/at_home_civil_rights_japanese_american.htm

• Love 3

The man famous for a huge variety of things, but also for being ass enough to go on record saying scifi fans should "get a life" .

That was a Saturday Night Live skit, but I agree, he pissed a lot of people off. FWIW, I've heard Galaxy Quest was pretty accurate.

That was a Saturday Night Live skit, but I agree, he pissed a lot of people off. FWIW, I've heard Galaxy Quest was pretty accurate.

Galaxy Quest is amazing -- hugely recommended for everyone, Trekkie and non-Trekkie alike.  Apparently the scene in the washroom where Tim Allen's character overhears people calling him a "washed up hack" is based on a true incident from Shatner.

• Love 3