Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E14: Justin Amash, Dan Savage, and Amy Holmes

• Start Topic

So Bill thinks an eating disorder means "eating too much." Gah! Has he never heard of anorexia or bulimia? 

Justin Amash -- you seem like a nice guy, but please go away. 

On the plus side, I always appreciate Dan Savage's reasonable approach, and Bill's final New Rule was spot on. All this concern about Biden's alleged indiscretions looks awfully suspicious. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I was disturbed by the conversation with Amy Holmes.  Bill, and to some degree, Amy seemed to be in a state of denial in regard to how deadly and easily transmitted Covid-19 really is. Maybe both of them should have looked at the latest numbers and how Georgia which couldn't wait to jump start its reopening is now showing a 40% spike in positive test results.   I did agree with Bill's comments  about Tara Reade and thought that the NY Times demanding that the DNC create  a panel to "investigate " Reade's allegations  was way out of line.  Maybe the Times missed the fact that Reade was an ardent Bernie supporter who routinely bashed Biden during the primary run and, according to NY Magazine, is coordinating her public statements with a group of keyed in Bernie supporters the same ones who are calling on Biden to withdraw.   Hmm...

Edited by cali1981
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, cali1981 said:

I was disturbed by the conversation with Amy Holmes.  Bill, and to some degree, Amy seemed to be in a state of denial in regard to how deadly and easily transmitted Covid-19 really is.

I wish Bill would interview some hospital workers. Might break him out of the bubble he seems to be in.

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
7 hours ago, cali1981 said:

Maybe both of them should have looked at the latest numbers and how Georgia which couldn't wait to jump start its reopening is now showing a 40% spike in positive test results.

Where did you see that data? On the Georgia state site:

55FD6351-8EF0-4F02-984A-AC616A92E997.png

My god, is Justin Amash still peddling the idea that the real way to handle healthcare is to just get rid of regulations on insurance companies so they don't actually have to provide services and the market will sort everything out? How many times do we have to show this doesn't work before they admit it?

Oh wait, never mind, they already know this. He just thinks the point of insurance is for the insurance companies to make as much money as possible and is fine with a state outlawing medical procedures Republicans don't like.

Also it was pretty funny hearing Bill say that he just presents other povs that you don't usually hear even if he doesn't agree with them when every single week he brings on people to say we need to open up because people need the money (with nobody every mentioning countries paying people to stay home) and, as ever, saying if people would just "eat healthy" they would be immune to all illness. But they don't because they have weak character, unlike all those people in the 60s who just said fuck you, Hong Kong flu, I'm skinny and were fine.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, arachne said:

...and Bill's final New Rule was spot on. All this concern about Biden's alleged indiscretions looks awfully suspicious. 

Except that he framed it as if liberals were falling for it, instead of what is truthful in that they're looking at her story with Spockian raised eyebrows. Bill never tires in turning a story into something to blame and shame liberals in, the fucking asswipe.

Anyone who has or had a weight issue needs to spit and slap Maher's smug sanctimonious face.

• Love 7

I'm confused, do only obese people get COVID-19? Because the way he & Amy were prattling on, you would've thunk so. *eyeroll* And Amy doesn't know who she's voting for because she "hasn't really thought about it"? Really? REALLY? She's a political commentator by trade but she hasn't thought about an election six months away? WTF?

That 20 minutes with Amash was 19 1/2 minutes too long.

I did agree with 99% of his New Rules, which is unusual.

• Love 11
27 minutes ago, littlecatsfeet said:

I'm confused, do only obese people get COVID-19? Because the way he & Amy were prattling on, you would've thunk so. *eyeroll* And Amy doesn't know who she's voting for because she "hasn't really thought about it"? Really? REALLY? She's a political commentator by trade but she hasn't thought about an election six months away? WTF?

Yeah, funny how this connection hasn't been so very obvious. Also she doesn't get emotionally invested in other peoples' weight...unless she's lecturing them about it on television en masse.

"I haven't thought about who I'm voting for" = "Trump's doing a perfectly fine job and it's completely reasonable to be considering voting for him over Biden."

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Tara said:

My bad.  It was broadcast on the cable news networks and was base on a Forbes article projecting the 40% increase that was eventually taken down.  This chart was on a local news station in Georgia.  The problem is that some of these states that are rushing to open haven't come close to meeting the very basic CDC guidelines and now that that Trump has pretty much emasculated the CDC, it's the wild west out there.  There's a strong possibility that there will be spread of the virus in many of these states.

Georgia Covid.JPG

Edited by cali1981
2 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

My god, is Justin Amash still peddling the idea that the real way to handle healthcare is to just get rid of regulations on insurance companies so they don't actually have to provide services and the market will sort everything out? How many times do we have to show this doesn't work before they admit it?

The interview with Amash was 21 minute plus waste of time.  Oh Justin became a hero to some when he bucked Trump and the Republican party but his ultra-conservative views are something out of the early 20th century.  I'm surprised thast he doesn't support the gold standard.  I say "begone with him"

• Love 9

Maybe both of them should have looked at the latest numbers and how Georgia which couldn't wait to jump start its reopening is now showing a 40% spike in positive test results.

This site  has pretty up to date stats on Covid19 by country, by state within the US, and in some cases by county within states.   According to it, GA's reported cases are holding pretty steady at around 600-700 new cases per day at the moment.   Any rise (or fall) in new cases related to relaxing restrictions would take a few weeks to show up. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, cali1981 said:

I was disturbed by the conversation with Amy Holmes.  Bill, and to some degree, Amy seemed to be in a state of denial in regard to how deadly and easily transmitted Covid-19 really is. Maybe both of them should have looked at the latest numbers and how Georgia which couldn't wait to jump start its reopening is now showing a 40% spike in positive test results.   I did agree with Bill's comments  about Tara Reade and thought that the NY Times demanding that the DNC create  a panel to "investigate " Reade's allegations  was way out of line.  Maybe the Times missed the fact that Reade was an ardent Bernie supporter who routinely bashed Biden during the primary run and, according to NY Magazine, is coordinating her public statements with a group of keyed in Bernie supporters the same ones who are calling on Biden to withdraw.   Hmm...

I have said about her from the beginning:  follow the money.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Hooper said:

This site  has pretty up to date stats on Covid19 by country, by state within the US, and in some cases by county within states.   According to it, GA's reported cases are holding pretty steady at around 600-700 new cases per day at the moment.   Any rise (or fall) in new cases related to relaxing restrictions would take a few weeks to show up. 

Then it will interesting to see where the numbers are next week.  One problem with Georgia is that it's seeing a flood of out of state folks and what their Covid status is is gong to be largely unknown.

Check this site out as well,  https://covid19.topos.com/ I   It's got highly detailed forensic/demographic info down to the county level in each state and may be doing a better tracking job than CDC right now.

Edited by cali1981
  • Useful 2
4 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Except that he framed it as if liberals were falling for it, instead of what is truthful in that they're looking at her story with Spockian raised eyebrows. Bill never tires in turning a story into something to blame and shame liberals in, the fucking asswipe.

Anyone who has or had a weight issue needs to spit and slap Maher's smug sanctimonious face.

What do expect from a guy who only eats needs and seeds? He has one "normal" meal a week: a piece of fish and a baked potato on Friday. The rest of the week it's a protein shake in the morning and a paste made from nuts, seeds and cherry paste that he mixes together. He apparently has never heard of "food deserts" that a lot of inner city and rural communities have...no large grocery stores or farmers markets for fresh produce. They shop at small bodegas or 7/11's...that's it. Not the best places to get quality healthy food from. 

It just amazes me out of touch Bill is with what's really going on in our country...he seems to prefer the old fat shaming blame game instead of doing an in depth look at the real reasons for our health problems especially with the poor and uninsured. Next week will he take the Republican approach to what is causing the large outbreaks at meat packing plants all over the country? That the reason for this because of the workers home life and their personal habits? Sanctamonious is the perfect description of Bill... I would add arrogant to that as well.

• Love 10
49 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

What do expect from a guy who only eats needs and seeds? He has one "normal" meal a week: a piece of fish and a baked potato on Friday. The rest of the week it's a protein shake in the morning and a paste made from nuts, seeds and cherry paste that he mixes together.

Honestly, I think Bill has an eating disorder.  Who doesn't enjoy a nice meal?  You can still eat healthy and have a decent meal.  Doesn't he enjoy dinner with friends and family?  Weird.

• Love 6
16 minutes ago, BrownBear2012 said:

He apparently has never heard of "food deserts" that a lot of inner city and rural communities have...no large grocery stores or farmers markets for fresh produce. They shop at small bodegas or 7/11's...that's it. Not the best places to get quality healthy food from. 

He ~sort of~ brought this up during the show. Don't remember the exact wording, but it was something to the effect that "it's easier to eat healthy if you have money". WELL DUH. But then went on to say it's not impossible to do for ya know, the po' folks. He didn't elaborate on that.  I guess he thinks everyone has room for a vegetable garden and a few fruit trees and/or can just boogie down the road to the local chain grocer at their leisure. 

Also, someone needs to clue him in that skinny people can have heart attacks & get cancer too (Jim Fixx,  Bob Harper, Adele Davis, et al). They can even be a victim of a mass pandemic! 

• Love 7

I don't know how many shows are left in this season but the more that I've watched, the more I feel that this remote interview only format really isn't working for Bill.  As happened last night, some of the interviews get dragged out and sidetracked by Bill's grievances.  By contrast John Oliver's non-interview based show has worked extremely well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Hated everything until Dan Savage. Bill is just stuck in this loop about immune systems and eating right. Yes, this country needs to be healthier, but that is a multi-level problem. And also isn’t why Coronavirus is killing people. This virus has taken its toll on every country. 

• Love 5

Don’t know, don’t care.

NY Times wants a truth commission.

No, she can go to the police if she’s alleging a crime.  27 years too late but that’s on her.  She wasn’t even claiming sexual assault a year ago.

End her 15 minutes of fame please.

• Love 8
10 hours ago, littlecatsfeet said:

That 20 minutes with Amash was 19 1/2 minutes too long.

8 hours ago, cali1981 said:

The interview with Amash was 21 minute plus waste of time.  Oh Justin became a hero to some when he bucked Trump and the Republican party but his ultra-conservative views are something out of the early 20th century.  I'm surprised thast he doesn't support the gold standard.  I say "begone with him"

It was a waste of 15 and a half minutes -- only felt like 20 minutes.  Am I the only one that wanted to reach through the TV and slap Amash, and tell him to answer the question.  I'm pretty confident Amash is more of a Republibertarian -- claiming to be a libertarian but not straying far from his Republican ideals.

Amash hasn't lost his ability to dodge questions -- Bill asked him why the US has fewer hospital beds per capita than places like Cambodia, and Amash's answer was a long-winded answer about the contribution of immigrants throughout American history.  What .... the fuck ??

Bill had a couple of things spot on in the mid-show piece -- because I'm pretty sure that Dr. Birx cries in her car every time she leaves the White House, especially after the whole disinfectant nonsense.  The part about Sears not noticing that there was a lockdown was pretty good too.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, angelamh66 said:

Hated everything until Dan Savage. Bill is just stuck in this loop about immune systems and eating right. Yes, this country needs to be healthier, but that is a multi-level problem. And also isn’t why Coronavirus is killing people. This virus has taken its toll on every country. 

Bill just ignores some basic facts. Of course those with compromised immune systems are very vulnerable but this virus has killed many relatively healthy people  in their 40s.  It's also caused strokes in 20 and 30 year olds. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 5/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, monakane said:

Honestly, I think Bill has an eating disorder.  Who doesn't enjoy a nice meal?  You can still eat healthy and have a decent meal.  Doesn't he enjoy dinner with friends and family?  Weird.

I'm sorry...I forgot to mention he drinks alot of green drinks...ha ha...but I agree with you. The interview I read where it discussed his diet was from last year I believe. The funny thing is, the interviewer took a look inside his kitchen cabinets and found chips, cookies, etc... and asked him about it and he said he needs those foods when he gets the munchies from all his pot smoking. I swear the interview sounded like an interview with Beavis and Butthead not 60 something "mature" man.

Edited by BrownBear2012
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
On 5/9/2020 at 10:47 AM, sistermagpie said:

This is the "system" in third world countries where a small very rich elite get the best medical care money can buy, but everyone else gets nearly nothing. I hadn't heard much about Amash before this, and knew him only as the lone "republican" voter for impeachment. But after this, I don't need to hear any more. Also, you could just about see Bill mentally check out of the interview early on when Amash kept harping "no one size fits all" arguments regarding shutdowns, a point Bill never disputed nor brought up. The discussion was frustratingly useless.

Almost as useless was Amy Holmes. She seems reasonable when you first start to listen, but she's still "deciding" on whether to vote for Trump? She doesn't know enough now? And she supposed to be telling me stuff I don't know? No thanks.

Dan Savage, however, was refreshingly sensible, direct, and responsive. And amusing as always too.

• Love 7
On 5/11/2020 at 5:08 PM, ahpny said:

Almost as useless was Amy Holmes. She seems reasonable when you first start to listen, but she's still "deciding" on whether to vote for Trump?

She is like Kanye, she’s like hey don’t assume I’ll vote dem just because I’m black.  It’s reductive and condescending.  I liked that she didn’t answer, it’s really no one’s business.

(edited)

I finally watched this episode after weeks, because I just can't deal with Bill these days.  I'm happy to see that Amash's run for POTUS is already dead and gone.  But it was a good reminder that all those Republicans who are against Trump now are still Republicans who believe in all the Republican policies.

Edited by izabella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1