Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Ship Broken

• Start Topic

I covet Astra’s suit. Perfect shade of red. 

Mick was cute in his delight at hanging out with Lita and dealing with the teenage drama. Papa looks good on him. 

Sara’s getting premonitions now? Cool.

Con was totally trying to get some one on one time with Zari right after the loom failed. I do not want to ship (I still mourn Snart/Sara and the sexytimes I was denied) but the show is not helping.

OF COURSE Gary brought a hell hound on board the ship. The same one who convinced Son of Sam to kill people. Clever show. 

The loom magic looked so cool and Charlie looked cool doing it. More please.

Mick has his own Scrooge McDuck vault on the Waverider. He should pay for a second bathroom.

The gremlin bunny is so cute! I want the Legends to adopt him for the ship.

Zari and Astra have great future BFF chemistry. Hope it happens. 

• Love 6

They remembered Nate is a history expert! 

Aw, Mick tried to make ants on a log and failed at it. It's both endearing and pathetic. He was a good daddy this one. Protecting his daughter from hellhounds and a life of crime. 

Ava making the Son of Sam connection accidentally seemed really contrived. Although I am happy to hear her podcast mentioned again. 

• Love 3

Fun episode... I love the energy of Zari/Astra... And thank goodness because the opposite is true for Sara and Ava... Man Ava is clingy.. I enjoyed Sara and her premonitions... And could go for her not having sight for a while her background as an Uber assassin makes me feel comfy that she can still handle herself.. Loved that she remembered Jax.. still salty that they got rid of him.. Gary was.. Gary... Loom graphics looked cool

• Love 5

I hate Gary.

I mean, I don't outright "hate him" hate him, but we've been seeing him for three seasons now, and you'd think  he'd grow common sense. And no one with common sense would adopt a cute Jack Russell from Hell. Okay, Gary Jr. was a cutie, and we needed a bad guy this episode, and maybe it was okay to insinuate David Berkowitz wasn't that mentally disturbed and the dog pushed him into becoming "Son of Sam." But it felt a little forced that Gary would be that dumb. He was probably kidding about getting Gary Jr. 2 from a carny. Either way, I hope Ava beat the snot of two-legged Gary for a solid hour, while Sara gave advice on laying down the hurt based on the sounds of Gary getting whupped.

I'm guessing getting blasted by a Fate gave Sara "Dead Zone" powers. Why not? And we get standard trope bickering between Astra and Zardashian (hey, A-to-Z!) over which loved one gets brought back. Mistrust follows, followed by sniping and the resolution that a demon dog controlled the team one-by-one. It's fun stuff, but it felt formulaic. Does that makes sense?

Meanwhile, Mick tries the dad thing with Lita. Cuteness follows, and Nate subs for Ray in the Dorky Professor role. Except for Lita trying to defy tropes, that was fun.

How many more episodes are there? Will the season be cut short like The Flash?

• Love 1

I am so glad that Mick finally gets a plot of his own, after all of this time. Now, I'm not thrilled with how his daughter had a bratty moment, but...again, it's a plot for Mick so....that's a good thing. I can set aside Lita's behaviour for now.

Also, the fact that they remembered that Nate is a historian was a really nice touch. I realize that Professor Heywood would actually be a fun thing to explore for an episode. First, it separates him from love arcs, and I also think that it would remind people that Nate had a serious side once upon a time, and that he's actually a smart guy. 

So, Sara is blind and can also see the future. Cool! However, I go back and forth between wanting it to be a permanent change (because why not add to the list of Sara Lance being special with how she's also a blind superhero? She joins the ranks of Daredevil, except cooler because she can also see the future!) and not wanting it to be permanent (because I did enjoy Sara being a badass by her own right and not needing powers to be special). I feel like they gotta follow through here. I'm still debating how I really feel about it, but it could be a good one for Sara. It's a story of her own, at least.

I was very annoyed with Ava and John's reactions. Like....you two have seen some crazy shit and Sara seeing into the future while blind is suddenly too much to believe? Ava, more so, was worse because she was practically rolling her eyes at the idea until she learned the truth. 

I knew Astra wouldn't have been the culprit, but I thought maybe it was Mick's daughter. I don't know why I didn't jump straight to "THE DOG DID IT" and I felt dumb once I figured it out two seconds before Sara's vision started. 

But...Astra acting like she's surprised that these people wouldn't trust her? And, of course, Zari trying to give Astra the benefit of the doubt when they were trapped in the bubble was a bit annoying. Yes, Astra/Zari as friends could be fun, but Astra hasn't proven herself. I'm a bit annoyed with how Ava was totally trusting of Astra until they suspected her of stealing the rings. 

The Hellhound effect was cool, at least. Gary still annoys me, but maybe even more so because he's a complete moron half the time. There's a difference between being too trusting and being too stupid, and I'm finding that Gary falls under the latter more often than not. Or maybe I just have a low tolerance for Gary tonight. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I feel like they gotta follow through here. I'm still debating how I really feel about it, but it could be a good one for Sara. It's a story of her own, at least.

If the power is meant to stay then I'd like to see Sara have control over it and do something like choosing to have a vision to give her/them an edge when in a tight spot or anticipating a difficult mission.

• Love 4

Of course, the saboteur was Gary's support animal, who was actually a hell hound that he "saved", and can control minds, since he's the same demon dog associated with the Son of Sam!  Dammit, Gary!

Lita being on the Waverider was fun, although I wish we got more time with her opposite of the other characters.  Still, I liked her fangirling over Sara (can't blame her!) and I surprisingly enjoyed her scenes with Nate (nice to see him in historian mode again.)  And I like that Mick really was trying to be a good father, even though he still has ways to go with getting everything right.  All in all, I'm digging this relationship.  Mina Sundwall really is perfect in the role and I like her chemistry with Dominic Purcell.

Not surprised that Astra hasn't exactly clicked with the Legends yet.  I understand her frustrations, but she has to realize that it would be foolish of them not to be suspicious of the person, who had literally been trying to kill them just a few weeks ago.  Granted, as Constantine said, the Legends are quick to move forward once a trust is formed or a bigger threat arises, but that takes time.  Still, it was fun watching her play off everyone else.  Not too surprised that she and Zari are already standing out, because I'm starting to think Tala Ashe can automatically click with everyone here, in different ways.

At least Sara's out of her coma, but now she's a) blind and b) sees premonitions instead.  Doesn't sound fun, but if anyone can make the most of it, it would be Sara!

I'm not sure who else could really fit the role, but Ava honestly hasn't been impressive any time she has to be in charge.

I can't wait to find out that Rabbit Gary a.k.a. Gary Junior 2.0 will end up being what is needed to save the day come finale time!

• Love 4

I twigged pretty quickly to it being the dog almost as soon as Astra was locked up.  It helps to just imagine the most bonzo gonzo outcome and the writers will often go in that direction.

Which is why it wouldn't shock me if Gary Junior 2 is revealed to be Enchantress.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

Ugh, how did I not see the dog thing coming? Of course Gary picks up Son of Sams dog! Thats pretty clever in a Legends kinds of way, and its consistent that Ava would be the one to figure it out. I bet she did a great Son of Sam episode for her serial killer podcast! The dog effects looked really good, the things you can do when you have a bottle episode!

That was a fun episode, especially with Astra and Lita in the mix, but I admit that, when I read the plot synopsis, I thought that maybe the Loom would briefly bring back some former characters who have been killed off, and they would have to decide if they could bring some of them back, only to realize they can only bring back one person. That would probably be logistically tough, but it would also have been awesome!

Astra was seriously rocking that red suit! Astra might have had to grow up in hell, but at least hell gave her a fabulous wardrobe! I dont blame the Legends for not trusting her right away, but, as Constantine said, with the Legends, as soon as someone stops trying to murder them on a weekly basis, they're best friends. Which...certainly isn't inaccurate, and also sums up more than a few other shows that I could mention...

So they do seem to be heading for some kind of Zari/John thing, and they do have chemistry, but the amount of hooking up going on the the ship is getting to be a bit much. We are getting close to needing a hook up chart! I also liked the interactions Astra and Zari, Zari brings out the best in everyone, be in original Zari, or Zari 2.0. 

Look at that continuity! We get references to some past characters when Sara was thinking about who could fix the ship and are no longer around, and the show actually remembers that Nate is a historian and professor! See how fun Nate is when he isn't being forced into boring love stories? Lita is a bit of a typical TV teen, but Mick in dad mode is awesome. I am glad that Mick has a plot, and I really like his awkward but sincere attempts at being a parent, even sense his daughter catching some of his criminal leanings and nipping that in the bud. Its too bad Martin isn't around, they could bond over having kids via time travel. 

So on the one hand, Sara as apparently lost her sight, but on the other, she has become a seer! Seems appropriate with the Fates being around, the blind seer thing is very Greek mythology, especially becoming one after seeing a god. I dont think it will be permanent at all, but it could be interesting for a few episodes. Just pop over to the Marvel universe, Matt Murdock can give you some pointers on being a blind ninja! 

That gremlin rabbit was so cute! I hope he sticks around and ends up saving the day! Can we keep him? I will love him and hug him and call him George! Or Gary Jr. 2.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

How many more episodes are there? Will the season be cut short like The Flash?

Their season was wrapped pre-pandemic but I don’t know how many episodes are left since they have shorter seasons. 

• Useful 1

I agree with astral that bringing her non-time-traveling mother should be simpler than bringing back behrad. I think they should do that next but I'm pretty sure theyll save that for last. I hope we can get rid of Constantine at the end of season. 

• Love 1

It's probably a right of passage for assassins to train while blind. And of course Sara adapts to being blind. Adapting to whatever life throws at her is what she's been doing since she was 19. 

Gary is entering the too stupid to live category. There is no way any person is dumb enough to take a dog from hell. 

I understand them not trusting Astra. Usually the person that stops killing them on a weekly basis helps them first before they become best friends. Astra was just being a self entitled ass. I did like that she thought new Zari could be that easily manipulated. Shows that her people skill are really from hell. 

Sara's backflip kick to the hell hound was great. I hope we get more DaredevilSara, but I won't hold my breath. And also Ava, Sara can so kill you while blind after having given you a warning. Once again Ava is a terrible girlfriend. After everything they've seen she chooses not to trust Sara and instead believe she's losing her mind. Saying Babe a hundred time does not make their relationship at all interesting. Sara deserves better. 

Mick's daughter is a typical teen. But I do like seeing him as a parent. I know we saw this storyline with Stein, but he was married and already a good guy. Seeing criminal Mick wanting to keep his daughter out of the life of crime was great. Although I'm surprised she didn't ask why his boss was walking around with a blindfold on. 

• Love 8
7 hours ago, Goldmoon said:

I agree with astral that bringing her non-time-traveling mother should be simpler than bringing back behrad. I think they should do that next but I'm pretty sure theyll save that for last. I hope we can get rid of Constantine at the end of season. 

I'd rather they get rid of Nate and Gary. Constantine could stand to get his own show back though 

• Love 5

The hell hound idea was amusing and for the most part actually executed well.

On the other hand, the show is overextending how much audiences find Gary's stupidity amusing. The guy seriously needs to get some common sense now.

Nice scenes with Zari and Astra this week. Liked them trying to outsmart each other while the show hinted at a friendship with them.

Still mixed on a potential Zari and John pairing. On the other hand, at least Nate was useful with Mick and Lita though.

Sara's new powers are interesting but I don't think they're permanent. It took long for her to open up about them and too long for Ava and John to believe her.

Hopefully Charlie can get that loom working now, 7/10

Since Charlie can't use the power of the loom on her own, I'm assuming Sara and Astra will somehow be able to help. I get the feeling Sara's new powers are tied to her interaction with  Charlie's sister, and Astra was being groomed to be a replacement sister.

I just love how unabashedly batshit this show is and how it all just works. I loved that it turned out to be  a demon dog because of course it did.

I don't dislike Ava but there's way too much of her this season and not enough Sara. The show needs to work on that STAT.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Kail said:

Since Charlie can't use the power of the loom on her own, I'm assuming Sara and Astra will somehow be able to help. I get the feeling Sara's new powers are tied to her interaction with  Charlie's sister, and Astra was being groomed to be a replacement sister.

That makes a bunch of sense... I'd like that.. Anything for more Sara.. And extra points if its Sara sans Ava... 

• Love 5

Fully agree that Gary is too stupid to live.  He's supposed to be an apprentice warlock?  First off, that was stupid to begin with.  There's no way I would ever believe that a complete loser like Gary would ever have any magical gift to begin with that makes him more apt to be able to learn magic.

I really want this show to get rid of Gary.  Fans complained that Mona was irritating... I find Gary at least 10 times worse.

While they are at it... please get rid of Ava.  So boring.  I would swap Astra for Ava in a heartbeat.  Astra is awesome and I'd love for them to find a way to keep her on the team.

• Love 4
(edited)

Gary has been magically made an apprentice warlock so he doesn't have to have magical talents. I do hope we lose him. He's not fun anymore - if he ever was I can't remember. Especially since he's more or less a full cast member now and I rather see more Sara and Rory. And there is far too much Ava. She is boring even when she's doing cool things like shooting two guns. Imo. 

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 2
On 5/8/2020 at 6:05 AM, tarotx said:

Gary has been magically made an apprentice warlock so he doesn't have to have magical talents.

And the reason that happened is that although he won't admit it, Gary is still in love with John and never really got over John's dumping him so abruptly. Wishing for Nora to turn him into John's apprentice (much to John's chagrin) is Gary's way of keeping himself in John's orbit.

• Love 1