Type keyword(s) to search

Season 2 Episode Discussion

Kromm
  • Start Topic

It was brilliant. I’m mad at myself for watching in two days because now I have finished a wonderful story.   I too hated the therapist scenes they grew worse. The camera shot showed his body taking up the whole room.  Hasn’t Ricky said he’s never been in therapy so I wonder where he pulled that despicable  character from? 
I remember really liking the music from the first season and it was very good this season too.  
just so happend I listened to Ricky and Russell  Brand yesterday on his podcast so blown away by his performance and writing. 

Edited by athousandclowns
Typo x 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, BellyLaughter said:

Oh wow.... this show has to be Ricky Gervais’ best work .... season 2 was just as good!  Funny and heartbreaking in equal measures! 

Could have done without the therapist scenes however! 

Right? He was the worst. He was one character that wasn't necessary. Daphne, on the other hand, was perfect. I really loved this season, also. Ricky has a real gift at finding dark humor and making you laugh when you want to cry. His pain and grief is so palpable and he's still somehow endearing.

8 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

It was brilliant. I’m mad at myself for watching in two days because now I have finished a wonderful story.   I too hated the therapist scenes they grew worse. The camera shot showed his body taking up the whole room.  Hasn’t Ricky said he’s never been in therapy so I wonder where he pulled that despicable  character from? 
I remember really liking the music from the first season and it was very good this season too.  
just so append I listened to Ricky and Russell  Brand yesterday on his podcast so blown away by his performance and writing. 

The music is fantastic. Opening with the Carpenters' "Top of the World" was perfect.

• Love 11
On 4/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, athousandclowns said:

It was brilliant. I’m mad at myself for watching in two days because now I have finished a wonderful story.   

I was all settled in to binge when I realized there were only six eps, so I'm going to pace myself.  Which means I'll finish in a week instead of a day.

I really enjoyed the first season and the first episode of Season 2.  Got the sting-y eyes at the end when Tony was toasting the sofa where Lisa had been.  Actually, the whole notion of him keeping her alive by watching her on video brings on the feels for me, although it probably isn't going to help him to move forward. 

• Love 6
23 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

I was all settled in to binge when I realized there were only six eps, so I'm going to pace myself.  Which means I'll finish in a week instead of a day.

I really enjoyed the first season and the first episode of Season 2.  Got the sting-y eyes at the end when Tony was toasting the sofa where Lisa had been.  Actually, the whole notion of him keeping her alive by watching her on video brings on the feels for me, although it probably isn't going to help him to move forward. 

I am trying to pace myself too, but failing. I actually shouted at the TV to Tony, "Put away the videos for awhile!"

Such a wonderful show. Could have used about 100% less of the therapist. He went from self-involved last season to flat out repulsive this season.

• Love 7
(edited)

It was a hair below Season 1 for me, but just because there's no way the recovery stage of despair can be as visceral as the depths of it. But Ricky did a great job here, especially with really digging into the humanity of every character. Mind you, if any of you don't watch either British Panel Game shows or their stand up comedy specials, you may not know that Roisin Conaty and Joe Wilkinson are both very over the top comedians, very absurd, so getting performances out of them especially that are still kind of absurd, but also very warm and touching, shows Ricky's writing and directing genius.

The stalled relationship bits with the nurse were getting a bit too extended, a bit tiresome, but I do think Ricky realized that, which is why we had a few episodes she didn't appear in at all. 

The Dad's passing was very well orchestrated in terms of helping to illustrate what it was supposed to. 

Again, while it COULDN'T be as raw and effective as Season 1, no matter what, this was still well worth it. 

That shrink by the way?  I see and understand the kickback against him, but I personally think he's a brilliantly written and executed piece of total absurdity. I know he bordered on too much, but for me he provided a nice counter to the fact that every other character were decent human beings, except that lady who yelled at the farting kid and arguably maybe that idiotic yoga guru, who I think was just exploiting those people rather than providing anything worth their money. The show can't have a villain per se, but I think we needed some absurd foils to make us a little uncomfortable at points. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Kromm said:

It was a hair below Season 1 for me, but just because there's no way the recovery stage of despair can be as visceral as the depths of it. But Ricky did a great job here, especially with really digging into the humanity of every character. 

The Dad's passing was very well orchestrated in terms of helping to illustrate what it was supposed to. 

Again, while it COULDN'T be as raw and effective as Season 1, no matter what, this was still well worth it. 

That shrink by the way?  A brilliantly written and executed piece of total absurdity. 

Ooops, I am only on the third episode! Oh well. I watch it for the characters more than the plot. Did love his dad though, so going to miss him.

The interview with the very old lady (100?) was hilarious! I found that the second season had more moments that had me laugh out loud.

At this point, I haven't seen too much of the therapist. I always wonder why anyone would keep seeing him but perhaps he's the only one in town and everyone says you should go to a therapist when you are grieving/dealing with a broken marriage. Apparently Ricky thinks he is an amusing character, Read an interview where Ricky mused over how a therapist could be a narcissist, and I think he said the comic possibilities in that. I have been alternating watching this show with Little Fires Everywhere. This is a nice relief from the heaviness of that show. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the season (as slowly as possible!)

My trusty sheepdog would prefer that Ricky kills off Brandy though, and replaces her with a nice Lab, any colour. He hates German Shepherds, especially the black ones. Reminds him of traumatic experiences he's had with other black ones. Also females, coincidentally.

Yeah, it's binge watching so the presumption is... spoilers. Sorry. That said, I don't believe knowing that happens will hurt the experience much. It's FAR more about how Tony reacts to this than the actual event which is important. 

Again, like Season 1, the emotional reaction is very nuanced. 

• Love 1

I didn't enjoy it as much as Season 1. I'd been hesitant to watch something that revolves around a recent widower, given my own experiences with grief. But, Ricky Gervais. I thought S1 had many genuine laugh-out-loud moments and lived up to the "black comedy" label, but S2 was...different. Of course, a lot of the comedy from the first season came from Tony's misanthropy and anger, and the character had to evolve instead of being an ass to everyone. I thought the first season was nicely resolved and a second season seemed unnecessary.

Maybe Gervais wanted to show that he's capable of heart-wrenching drama? That scene

Spoiler

with him on the couch, debating whether to OD while Brandy's barking at him, was so intense. I was genuinely upset for much of the day.

(Nothing that a clip of David Brent singing "Free Love Freeway" won't fix, I guess.)

Edited by archer1267
  • Love 8
On 4/25/2020 at 5:32 PM, kendi said:

The music is fantastic. Opening with the Carpenters' "Top of the World" was perfect.

Pretty much anything by the Carpenters is perfect.

Speaking of music (and Epsiode 2), is it possible to hear Por Una Cabeza without thinking of the tango scene in Scent of a Woman? Oh, just me? Alrighty, then....

Before this, I didn't know much about Ricky other than the Golden Globes and some clips from his talk show.  His acting is impressive. He could be in the Am Dram Society.

Staying resolute...one episode per day....

• Love 2

I have mixed feelings because much of this season was so well done, but other parts seemed off or just unnecessary.  The therapist was excruciatingly painful to watch over time in such a short series. It also seemed like Sandy was depressed, and her new storyline didn't match season 1 Sandy.

Ricky Gervais was brilliant in all of his dramatic scenes.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, non sequitur said:

I have mixed feelings because much of this season was so well done, but other parts seemed off or just unnecessary.  The therapist was excruciatingly painful to watch over time in such a short series. It also seemed like Sandy was depressed, and her new storyline didn't match season 1 Sandy.

Ricky Gervais was brilliant in all of his dramatic scenes.

Yes! I would have much rather explored Sandy’s story than the therapist or even the brother-in-law’s. Those two characters meant nothing to me and don’t feel they added anything to the show. I would like to know Gervais’s reasoning behind featuring those characters so prominently, while basically ignoring others. 

• Love 4

I have quite a few mixed feelings about this season, which I won’t go into, but I’m curious what folks think is the “Groundhog Day” relationship that the nurse character assents to in the end?   Because if it’s just hanging out and being snarky with each other while he pines for his dead wife, it’s kind of sad for her.  Maybe there was some nuance of chemistry between them I missed?

I think that this season the therapist is the comic relief to Tony's sadness.  He's not doing Matt a lot of good, and he's way too OTT to address Tony's problems. Plus Tony has his visits with his friend at the cemetery who's helping him talk through his feelings, if not heal.

Speaking of OTT, "The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life."  Words to live by, Brian...

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I enjoyed the second season but I almost felt like this one was more emotionally-wrenching than the first. Gawd the episode that ended with him telling her that “she’d never looked so beautiful” broke me. It’s such a well-written show, but definitely felt more like a drama than a comedy (at least to me). 

On 4/25/2020 at 12:01 PM, athousandclowns said:

just so happend I listened to Ricky and Russell  Brand yesterday on his podcast so blown away by his performance and writing. 

The music is so good! “And So It Goes” by Billie Joel was a wonderful surprise—I hadn’t heard that song in so long ❤️

On 4/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, Citizen A said:

I have quite a few mixed feelings about this season, which I won’t go into, but I’m curious what folks think is the “Groundhog Day” relationship that the nurse character assents to in the end?   Because if it’s just hanging out and being snarky with each other while he pines for his dead wife, it’s kind of sad for her.  Maybe there was some nuance of chemistry between them I missed?

Yeah it almost seemed like he wants a relationship with the nurse that he has with the prossie... oops I mean sex worker. 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Duke2801 said:

The music is so good! “And So It Goes” by Billie Joel was a wonderful surprise—I hadn’t heard that song in so long ❤️

I had exactly the same response to "Can You Hear Me" (Bowie) at the end of episode 4.  All the music this season is so spot on.  They must be paying a ton in royalties - these are big name artists.

Poor Tony.  Although that revue was so bad he was probably glad on some level to have an excuse to leave.

Looking forward to and yet dreading episode 6...

• Love 3
On 4/29/2020 at 2:20 PM, Citizen A said:

I think it meant that (after we saw the classic "boy loses girl" trope that exists in every love story played out earlier in the episode) Emma decided that, at least for now, she was okay with them continuing to carry on the way they are, because her feelings for him are strong enough that she's willing to try to work with him through his issues (aka "boy gets girl back") so they can get to the next level.

It's up to the viewer to decide whether that will be eventually happen, but given that we see the other major characters' lives settled, and Emma has unknowingly but literally saved Tony's life, I choose to think that the show is telling us that Tony will eventually get to the point that he doesn't feel like a serious relationship would be cheating on Lisa, and he and Emma live happily ever after. 

Unless there's a third season, in which case all bets are off.

Seriously, though...as much as I enjoyed these two seasons, I hope this is it.  I think Tony's story was told, and told well.  I'd hate to see us get into Godfather Part III territory. 

• Love 2
On 5/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, allthatglitters said:

Its funny,  no pun intended, how comedians sometimes make the best tragic actors.  Jim Carrey, Robin Williams, and a few others, I can't remember now.

Many comedians including the two you named had or have depression. Mental health issues are common among comedians. Ricky Gervais said he does not have these issues, but I think he's a good writer and observer of people. Most comedians have to look at the dark side of life to get the comedy out of it. 

I liked this season except for the shrink stuff of course. I didn't like that in the first season either. It'll be interesting to see how they take it S3. This is really Gervais's best work. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 5:20 PM, Citizen A said:

The husband and I finally made time to watch this last night.  We didn't watch episode 6 yet though. 

I love and adore this show but this is my big problem with it.  The nurse story line is so greatly lacking for me.  Last season she made sense because she was so very helpful to Tony emotionally but even still, I never did see any great chemistry between the two in the sense of a romantic relationship.  It felt much more like a friendship to me.

So then this season happens and there she is still and there they are, hinting at and inching away at something that is supposed to be there and I just don't get it.  I was actually getting pretty annoyed at her little digs at him for "not being ready yet" and "not over his wife." 

Is the chemistry so nuanced that it has went right over my head?  Furthermore, I think Tony has real chemistry with Sandy and having those two come together would feel much more organic to me.  She's only 30 though so I suppose that won't happen even though her character feels much more mature and 'old soul' like to me and I think she would be great for Tony.  But what the hell do I know?

Maybe there is some great reveal coming in episode 6 that helps me to understand what it is that I am supposed to be seeing and feeling about him and the nurse. 

Edited by Cementhead

I watched the first episode of season 2 right after it came out but it didn't draw me in as the first episode of season 1 did.  But for some reason I started watching again today and binged right through it easily, sobbing for good parts of episodes 4 and 5 and almost all of episode 6.  I never used to be the kind of person to do that - must be getting soft!

There's something about this show.  It has such sweet moments and then hits you in the face with such intense sadness and then eases into a funny joke.  What is this?!

I love all the different characters and relationships except could do without the horrible therapist and the guy who works at the paper who did the terrible "comedy" routine. Roxy and the postman are cute together.

I like Ricky and the nurse together but he needs to stop watching those videos so often.  They are holding him back at this point and she could ultimately be wasting her time also.  I worry about the dog too.

On 6/14/2020 at 4:42 AM, Blue Plastic said:

I watched the first episode of season 2 right after it came out but it didn't draw me in as the first episode of season 1 did.  But for some reason I started watching again today and binged right through it easily, sobbing for good parts of episodes 4 and 5 and almost all of episode 6.  I never used to be the kind of person to do that - must be getting soft!

There's something about this show.  It has such sweet moments and then hits you in the face with such intense sadness and then eases into a funny joke.  What is this?!

I love all the different characters and relationships except could do without the horrible therapist and the guy who works at the paper who did the terrible "comedy" routine. Roxy and the postman are cute together.

I like Ricky and the nurse together but he needs to stop watching those videos so often.  They are holding him back at this point and she could ultimately be wasting her time also.  I worry about the dog too.

This is life.

I felt that Tony would have another loss  this season - didn't know whether it would be his dad, Anne, or Brandy - but I thought there had to be some type of setback, especially since season 1 ended on such an optimistic tone.  

I agree that they really haven't explored Sandy's character very much.  Perhaps in season 3.   I was surprised that she was turning 30.  I don't know why, but I had the impression in season 1 that she was starting at the paper right out of school.  And her siblings are still in school, so they must be several years younger than her.  I'm curious about that story. 

• Love 1
On 6/28/2020 at 6:20 PM, Calvada said:

This is life.

I felt that Tony would have another loss  this season - didn't know whether it would be his dad, Anne, or Brandy - but I thought there had to be some type of setback, especially since season 1 ended on such an optimistic tone.  

Totally agree.  Life isn't neat, it's messy. 

I absolutely adore all of the people they interview for the newspaper.  For instance, the fat woman who said her fat saved her from being impaled--only for Tony to say that if she hadn't been fat the thing would have missed her entirely.  Or the man thinking he was really an 8-year-old girl.  When Tony told the bully in the school yard that he would murder him if he picked on George again, I did a literal LOL, which is very rare.

For some reason, I was particularly touched by the scene of him giving the puppy (Brandy) to Lisa.  I had to hit pause because I was crying so hard.  That, and also when his dad died.  Wow, just wow.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

cynicat - I too love the interviews with the people who want in the paper, like the parents so pleased with their baby Hitler, or the funniest to me, the foul mouthed 100 year old woman who has just had it with life and can't wait for it to be over.  

• Love 1

Lucky for me I grabbed a new box of tissue before the last ep. I watched S2 by myself because RG is kind of a tough sell in my family in the best of times, much less now. That was an amazing experience and I wish I could be more articulate so I could do it justice