Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E17: Protect a Child

jewel21
  • Start Topic

Things get personal for Casey and Gallo in the aftermath of a suburban house fire involving a mother and her young son. Herrmann campaigns for more respect. Kidd has an idea for giving back to her community.

Airdate: 03/18/2020

The old lady is wicked. The woman is in a wheelchair, give her a break!

The woman from DCFS should be fired for doing a terrible job with the mother and for letting Casey change her mind after her decision was made! She has no spine!

Why was Engine 105 dispatched instead of Herrmann's Engine 51? Did the dispatcher immediately sense he would fume/pout on the call after Boden turned down his request for his quarters and not bother send him?

Stella is concerned about helping women while Herrmann is concerned about himself. What a disgrace!

And now this doofus caused a fire in the station! OMG! Forget reporting for training! Herrmann should have been fired on the spot!!!!

The altercation between Ambo 81 and police was forced and stupid.

Severide has tremendous balls recommending Wendy!

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 7
19 minutes ago, Rabithed said:

Saint Casey has a lot of free time. 

I was surprised he didn't offer to repair the woman's home for free and remove the tree to make the neighbor happy.

• LOL 9
  • Love 1

The naked guy made me laugh with his dancing! I’ll take any laugh I can get get these days.

Hermann is such an idiot. I loved how the Chief shut him down at the meeting and how everyone laughed at his stupid “office.”

Real Estate guy was a hottie.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

I could see Hermann's fire coming a mile a way.  He doesn't get the respect he deserves, probably because he comes off as so immature.

Hey Hermann, you don't throw temper tantrums and demand people respect you....you friggin' earn it you muppet. Respect isn't a right.

• Love 9
43 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

still find Stella incredibly obnoxious

Me too!

For a moment, Stella's attitude towards those girls had me siding with them. Stand up to Stella and keep selling! Then I came to my senses.

Also, after all these years. Lately, I find myself focusing on her ears when her hair is pulled back.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I didn't really care for parts of this episode but I loved that Hermann got his due and he is an idiot. 

The old woman was a jerk for sure and maybe the case should have gone to court so the old bat could testify but I would think any judge would return the kids to his mom. 

The real estate guy was cute and I wish Sylvie would date him. 

I like Stella's idea but I bet its harder to make new programs like that no matter what it is. 

• Love 5

Herrmann comes off as childish and immature in the best of times, but this was a step too far. Putting shower curtains up around a cubby-hole to make an "office" for himself is like something a four-year old would do to make a play fort. OMG. I can't believe how stupid this was. No sane adult would ever do something like that. I wonder if the writers even realize how dumb that was and how idiotic that made Herrmann look.

Is "Girls on Fire" really a good name for the type of program Stella is trying to put together? That doesn't sound right, somehow.

The woman from DCFS should be fired for doing a terrible job with the mother and for letting Casey change her mind after her decision was made! She has no spine!

She sure flip-flopped in that last scene. I don't get it. She was a huge hard-ass every time Casey talked to her until that final scene, then suddenly her heart grew three sizes that day for some odd reason. 

• Love 5

that was ridiculous.  the boy was not in any imminent danger, no way dcfs would remove him  because of one unfounded complaint. did they contact his school, his doctor?? anything??

• Love 5
8 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Also, after all these years. Lately, I find myself focusing on her ears when her hair is pulled back.

I always have and it's distracting!! Beautiful woman but those ears are like Dumbo!

• Love 3

I didn't love Bret bringing up Dawson to her mom as a reason to avoid a relationship with Casey.  I keep thinking that the bright side of the shutdown is that they aren't going to be able to bring Dawsom back pregnant this season.  Silver lining, if you ask me.

• Love 1

It really was a reach that 5 unsubstantiated complaints by the same old bat that obviously were never fully investigated (DCFS Lady managed to find Casey but never got the full story from Old Bat? OK) resulted in an immediate seizure of the child in the hospital? C’mon.

Agree that the actions of the DCFS lady were impossible to follow (rush to take the kid, change her mind in an instant), but if anyone has actually worked with Illinois DCFS you wouldn’t be terribly surprised.

Casey and Severide sure have a lot of free time... can they open a Firefighter Supervisors Crimjnal Investigation Division to formally document all their wannabe cop/Social Worker activities?

The idiot in the play fort should be fired, period. He’s not a quirky interesting misunderstood guy, he’s a friggin’ moron with zero redeeming features. And, the only thing he is worse at than being a firefighter is being a parent. 

Good for Severide to suggest Wendy. She seems like the perfect choice for the program, except that she came across at the beginning as someone who was rushed through the ranks as either a political favorite or simply Quota Female, not as someone that had been quickly promoted due to merit like say, Haley on PD. Wendy might be easily criticized from that perspective. 

But Severide thinks it’s funny that Wendy has the hots for him, knows he has nothing to risk as he didn’t do anything and put her with his girlfriend because it was the right thing to do.

• Love 2
On 3/18/2020 at 11:31 PM, LittleIggy said:

The naked guy made me laugh with his dancing! I’ll take any laugh I can get get these days.

Hermann is such an idiot. I loved how the Chief shut him down at the meeting and how everyone laughed at his stupid “office.”

Kinda wanted her to go out with him. He seemed like a nice guy and a good match for her. If she’s so hung up on Casey then date him for crying out loud.

That Bret is so attractive and sweet it’s absolutely ridiculous that she wouldn’t have 5 guys at a time waiting in line for a shot.

• Love 3

Casey and Severide sure have a lot of free time... can they open a Firefighter Supervisors Crimjnal Investigation Division to formally document all their wannabe cop/Social Worker activities?

Not to give this show any credibility but most firefighters do, in fact, have tons of time off. They have the best union in the world. 

He had vampire incisors though. Was kind of weirding me out.

This is the first new role I've seen Rachel Miner in since her MS diagnosis was announced. Really glad that she's still keeping her hand in.

Unpopular opinion: Herrmann was my favorite since the early days, and it's hard to let go of that no matter how much of an idiot the writing turns him into anymore.

• Love 1

Did anyone mention to Hermann that Casey and Severide get private quarters because they are actually active lieutenants, in charge of people and having responsibilities, whereas Hermann is a lieutenant in name only unless Casey is out for a shift or something?

The whole DCFS storyline was ridiculous. It's as though the writers are stuck in 1950. I work in an urban school district, where there are lots of single parents with disabilities or illnesses - unless there is some real and true danger to the child, no one is going to take a child away from a loving parent and toss him into an already overloaded system. Why did no one even think to ask if there are extended family members or friends who help the mom? Or if a home assistant stops by? etc. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I just watched this episode for the first time. (I can't shake this show...) I enjoyed it but I'm not sure why. 

I don't get why Boden doesn't make Casey take the blue room office as house captain and then give Herrmann Casey's shoebox office. Boden wanted Casey to take the blue room office when Casey promoted, but Casey decided to stay put. They should have revisited that when Herrmann was promoted to lieutenant last year.

If my boss said my peers with similar/same responsibilities get a work space but I don't because Shut Up, I'd be pissed off too. It really is disrespectful for him to be a lieutenant with four firefighters and an Engine rig under his command (equal in status to Severide!), who is told he's not important enough for his own workspace. He earned the promotion; he doesn't need to separately earn an office. Meanwhile, there's a big empty office... Perfect time for Casey to upgrade and make it seem like a favor for someone else. Casey should have stepped in. 

The DCFS story was sloppy and another magical change of heart tale. I'm not sure what it is that Casey investigated. He talked to a neighbor and pestered a case worker, after being used to get a kid removed from a parent. I'd be on a rampage, too. I didn't mind the premise of this one, and I usually can't stand all the meddling these idiots do. 

It was nice to hear about Louie again but also really superficial because we have no window into Casey's personal life or headspace. Maybe he sits in his bedroom at Stellaride's Sex Den each night and laments the life that could have been, but who knows.

Girls On Fire is called Career Tech Education: Fire/Rescue where I'm from, and it's a sequence of experiential classes students can take for high school credit. We bus them to fire houses and even to the academy every day. At CPS high schools, it's specifically offered under Law and Public Safety. Soo...that storyline doesn't really make sense the way it's been presented. 

Edited to Add: I'm having trouble squaring Kidd not being able to handle working half a day at the Academy without becoming a sleep deprived liability (around mid-season), but now she has all this spare time and energy to build, recruit, and lead a high school firefighting program from scratch. Okay.

Edited by dovegrey
noted above
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2020 at 4:07 PM, dovegrey said:

I just watched this episode for the first time. (I can't shake this show...) I enjoyed it but I'm not sure why. 

I don't get why Boden doesn't make Casey take the blue room office as house captain and then give Herrmann Casey's shoebox office. Boden wanted Casey to take the blue room office when Casey promoted, but Casey decided to stay put. They should have revisited that when Herrmann was promoted to lieutenant last year.

If my boss said my peers with similar/same responsibilities get a work space but I don't because Shut Up, I'd be pissed off too. It really is disrespectful for him to be a lieutenant with four firefighters and an Engine rig under his command (equal in status to Severide!), who is told he's not important enough for his own workspace. He earned the promotion; he doesn't need to separately earn an office. Meanwhile, there's a big empty office... Perfect time for Casey to upgrade and make it seem like a favor for someone else. Casey should have stepped in. 

I totally agree! Not fair that allowances are made for Casey & Severide (because apparently they're super special) but any other officer is told to suck it because the Chief doesn't wanna bother...IMHO Chief should shoulder some of the blame for the fire, he sat in *his* office watching Herrmann walk off with a bunch of furniture, what did he think Herrmann was doing, having a garage sale? And Chief's crappy ass reasons for shutting Herrmann down had *nothing* to do with the present ask...I could see if they legit didn't have the room, IMHO the rank should come with an office period

• Love 1