Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Company We Keep

Athena
  • Start Topic

Roger leads Jamie's militia to a trading post and finds himself embroiled in a bitter feud.

Reminder: This is the No Book Talk topic. No discussion of the books is allowed including saying "in the books..." Posts may be removed without warning.

Poor Roger. He's been shoved into a position he's totally unqualified for and Jamie's giving him shit at every turn. I'm not sure what Jamie expects? Roger has no military or leadership experience, and no experience dealing with 18th century family squabbles. Maybe lighten up on him a bit.

I enjoyed watching Brianna and Marsali together. I think this is the first time we've seen any real conversation between them, and hopefully Brianna uses Marsali as an example that you can overcome trauma.

It was sweet of Jamie to offer to raise the baby with Claire, but the Brownsville couple was the better option. They're younger, the wife can nurse and their lives aren't as chaotic. It's also a positive nobody seemed to take issue with the baby's skin color, aside from making observation that she wasn't white. 

Any guesses as to when Bonnet will show himself at the Ridge?

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Ok, am I the only one who thinks Jamie is a terrible dancer?

I am getting tired of Jamie’s constant picking on Roger. I hope we don’t have to wait until the end of season for that to be resolved.

I really want Fergus to have his own arc. Tired of seeing him relegated to bit player.

Liked the reminder of the obituary that is hanging over their heads and the reminder that Claire cheated on Frank.

I am not sure I liked the resolution for Ally and Morton. Living in sin has far more consequences for her than him.  TBH, I thought Claire would perform an abortion that would create tension with Jamie.

• Love 4

I think Jamie and Claire being flirty walking off I to the woods was a needed bit of cuteness.  I was hoping for a bit of lovin' but alas, no.

I need Roger and Brianna to talk!!!!!

I feel bad for Roger....Jamie is holding some major resentment towards the guy.  He's trying, man!

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought Roger was getting some redemption from Jamie  when he picked Roger to take Claire home! She said  she was “the thing he loves the most!” Awe! 

Jamie & Claire are perfect this season! Perfection! 

I may have shed a tear when Jamie asked her in the woods if she wanted to keep the baby!  Everytime I am reminded of that 20 yrs & Jamie with no babies I cry. I also expected a shag in the woods but they were interrupted by the shot. 

7 hours ago, nara said:

I am getting tired of Jamie’s constant picking on Roger. I hope we don’t have to wait until the end of season for that to be resolved.

I really want Fergus to have his own arc. Tired of seeing him relegated to bit player.

Liked the reminder of the obituary that is hanging over their heads and the reminder that Claire cheated on Frank.

I am not sure I liked the resolution for Ally and Morton. Living in sin has far more consequences for her than him.  TBH, I thought Claire would perform an abortion that would create tension with Jamie.

I did see Sam say in an interview that learning to dance was hard, especially in those boots!( And I’m kinda sad cause I like men who can sing & dance.)

Edited by Cdh20
  • Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Poor Roger. He's been shoved into a position he's totally unqualified for and Jamie's giving him shit at every turn. I'm not sure what Jamie expects? Roger has no military or leadership experience, and no experience dealing with 18th century family squabbles. Maybe lighten up on him a bit.

I enjoyed watching Brianna and Marsali together. I think this is the first time we've seen any real conversation between them, and hopefully Brianna uses Marsali as an example that you can overcome trauma.

It was sweet of Jamie to offer to raise the baby with Claire, but the Brownsville couple was the better option. They're younger, the wife can nurse and their lives aren't as chaotic. It's also a positive nobody seemed to take issue with the baby's skin color, aside from making observation that she wasn't white. 

Any guesses as to when Bonnet will show himself at the Ridge?

Thinking Bonett will show up any time is terrifying! I loved Marsali & Bree bonding, that was great to see, as sisters-in-law, they could be best friends. 

Edited by Cdh20
Spelling
  • Love 5
On 3/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, nara said:

Yeah me too. Although I told my mom that I figured Issac would just “disappear” from his life, his wife could claim he died and be free (with whatever property he left her) and could marry someone else.  He could be with Alicia and get married under a different name. In this world there are no photo IDs or social security numbers. No data bases- I am sure plenty of people who didn’t like their lives walked away and assumed new names. 

I’m just so glad Alicia didn’t succeed in her suicide poor girl. I do think Issac loved her as much as he claimed IMO he would’ve told her he was married so she knew what she was getting into and what chances she was taking with him. She had far more to lose than he did and if it was love he would want to protect her. 

• Love 3

I don't think the twins are really 14.   They don't exactly know how old they are...14 was just a guess.    Jamie said "you ARE 14" so they would not be expected to go with him and fight.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, sas616 said:

I don't think the twins are really 14.   They don't exactly know how old they are...14 was just a guess.    Jamie said "you ARE 14" so they would not be expected to go with him and fight.  

That's exactly what I meant, you can pretty much change your name, change your age, no real paperwork back then.

• Love 2
On 3/8/2020 at 9:03 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm glad that Claire didn't want to keep the baby. She and Jamie have enough going on without a newborn added to the mix.

Yeah I said as much last week. 

On 3/8/2020 at 1:02 PM, BitterApple said:

Poor Roger. He's been shoved into a position he's totally unqualified for and Jamie's giving him shit at every turn.

It's getting a little much. Roger can just tell him to knock it off. I don't expect him to be particularly useful but he can speak up. 

It's actually bad leadership on Jamie's part tbh. He's not an idiot. He knows Roger comes from 1970 and was a scholar (not like a blue collar job or something). Put him to use where his skills would be valuable - whether it's logistics, records. Shit, he was even singing when they were taking a break. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Am I the only who thought it was extremely unrealistic that the adopted parents were completely unfazed by the baby's race?

I'd have to think it would make an enormous difference to a child's life in the Carolinas in the 1700s. At the very least, it would be a huge complicating factor in raising her.

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Am I the only who thought it was extremely unrealistic that the adopted parents were completely unfazed by the baby's race?

I'd have to think it would make an enormous difference to a child's life in the Carolinas in the 1700s. At the very least, it would be a huge complicating factor in raising her.

Oh, I definitely do not think you are the only one!

I think we're supposed to think they are so excited at the possibility of having a baby after losing theirs that they are able to get past it.  I don't think that's realistic, but I think that's what the writers are going for.

• Like 1
On 5/3/2020 at 10:35 PM, Blakeston said:

I expected the baby to get rejected before she could even nurse, but then the woman sat down with her and casually asked if the baby was the child of a slave. I was shocked enough at that, let alone adopting the baby.

• Love 2
On 3/8/2020 at 3:02 PM, BitterApple said:

I was expecting someone to object to nursing the baby on the grounds of race, if not the nursing mother, then her mother.  

On 3/8/2020 at 3:37 PM, nara said:

Yes, if he left Roger to deal with things, then at least respect Roger using his judgment as he sees fit.  

• Love 3

It's a little weird to have episodes about random people, like the last episode.  Though I enjoyed seeing a slice of life of Scottish immigrants in the colonies.  

I'm not sure what Roger could have done, either.  The leaders in the village weren't intimidated at all by the militia.  I did like that for once, Roger tried to use his knowledge of history to lessen the tension.  It' somewhat funny he starts singing to entertain people.   Who would have predicted Jaime and Claire would take that long to retrieve the papers.  

I felt for the woman who was nursing after losing her baby, so I'm kind of glad that Claire won't take the baby away from them.  I too expected them to reject the baby due to her skin color, so that was a tad strange, but good.

I'm surprised but I really like Marsali now.  I'm frustrated by Brianna keeping the secret that Bonnet is alive out there.  She needed to share that burden with someone, and Marsali was actually being so supportive.  Her refusal to share her trauma was what led to Roger being mistaken for the rapist.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 4/12/2021 at 8:23 PM, Camera One said:

It's a little weird to have episodes about random people, like the last episode.  Though I enjoyed seeing a slice of life of Scottish immigrants in the colonies.  

Me too! This is what I've liked about the last couple episodes, even though a lot of stuff is annoying to slog through, the call back to the good old Scottish days is lovely and reminds me why I got hooked on this show in the first place. So all the Village 'pit stop' scenes felt familiar and cozy.

I'm not sure what Roger could have done, either.  The leaders in the village weren't intimidated at all by the militia.  I did like that for once, Roger tried to use his knowledge of history to lessen the tension.  It' somewhat funny he starts singing to entertain people.   Who would have predicted Jaime and Claire would take that long to retrieve the papers. 

I feel the same way about Roger. I thought he was doing a fine job leading the men onward, and you're right, those villagers didn't give a damn who they were so someone was going to die and Roger was trying to mitigate that. I respect him for it too. I'm not a Roger hater, I like the guy, wedding night bullshit notwithstanding.

I felt for the woman who was nursing after losing her baby, so I'm kind of glad that Claire won't take the baby away from them.  I too expected them to reject the baby due to her skin color, so that was a tad strange, but good.

I thought the same thing! Her mother was horrified that the younger daughter was defiled by that militia guy, but she's fine with her daughter adopting a half black baby? It seems a bit open minded given how close minded she was about her younger daughter's dalliances.

I'm frustrated by Brianna keeping the secret that Bonnet is alive out there.  She needed to share that burden with someone, and Marsali was actually being so supportive.  Her refusal to share her trauma was what led to Roger being mistaken for the rapist.  

Yes to all of the above! Brianna has PTSD and Claire should know that by now. And why wouldn't Roger talk to her about the drawings he found? And how could Jamie and Claire leave her unguarded on the Ridge knowing he was out there?! I'd have left that mountain man dude to keep watch over them. Or asked their Native American friends to come and guard the woods surrounding the house until they were home again.

How long will we be forced to view in fear of Bonnet coming back to harm Brianna and/or steal Jemmy? I still have Outlander PTSD from BJR, I don't want more.

I love only you. It was the same phrase that Jamie told Claire to quell their fight at Lallybroch, after Claire learned that Jamie had married Leery. I always like a good call back to an older episode. It used to happen more often but this was a good one!

And last but not least, HOW has nobody mentioned that fucking Marsali KILLED HER FATHER?!? Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ!!! This is the sort of story I want MORE of show! MORE OF THIS. Less of the creepy cabin bullshit, please and thank you!

PS: @SassAndSnacks, the choir opening is growing on me, that's all I'll say about that for now...

• Love 3
4 hours ago, gingerella said:

Me too! This is what I've liked about the last couple episodes, even though a lot of stuff is annoying to slog through, the call back to the good old Scottish days is lovely and reminds me why I got hooked on this show in the first place. So all the Village 'pit stop' scenes felt familiar and cozy.

And last but not least, HOW has nobody mentioned that fucking Marsali KILLED HER FATHER?!? Jesus H. Roosevelt Christ!!! This is the sort of story I want MORE of show! MORE OF THIS. Less of the creepy cabin bullshit, please and thank you!

PS: @SassAndSnacks, the choir opening is growing on me, that's all I'll say about that for now...

Marsali did not kill her father, she just wished him dead, & then it happened, so she felt guilty! 

Edited by Cdh20
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2022 at 7:37 AM, Cdh20 said:

Marsali did not kill her father, she just wished him dead, & then it happened, so she felt guilty! 

Thank you!  It's been a while since I read the books but I was sure I would not have forgotten such a significant plot point..

On 4/12/2021 at 10:23 PM, Camera One said:

I'm surprised but I really like Marsali now. 

Ditto!  It's one of the best character evolutions in the series.  She and Claire are like oil and water when they are first thrust into each other's prolonged company (on board the ship, after Marsali runs off with Fergus) but by now Marsali and Claire are firmly united in protecting The Ridge and all of its inhabitants (but most particularly Fergus and Marsali's children).  And woe betide the character who faces off against the two of them when Marsali and Claire present a united front.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Like 1
  • Love 4
On 2/3/2022 at 3:38 AM, gingerella said:

the choir opening is growing on me, that's all I'll say about that for now...

Hooray!  I thought of you as I watched the opening credits here.  When they get to "billowing breeze, islands and seas..."  Lump in my throat.  

On 2/3/2022 at 3:38 AM, gingerella said:

I love only you. It was the same phrase that Jamie told Claire to quell their fight at Lallybroch, after Claire learned that Jamie had married Leery. I always like a good call back to an older episode. It used to happen more often but this was a good one!

This episode, more than any other we've had for a long time, showcases the feels between these two.  The portrayal here was just a little different and more on point - longer glances, small smiles, open displays of affection - it felt a lot more like Season I, which appears to be a common thread through many of the comments on this episode.  

Similarly, some of the dialogue here was A+.  I feel like it has been bordering on cheesy lately, but there were some major gems here from Jamie's snark at Roger to Fergus' "Congratulations, Milady.  You work fast, Milord!" to Fergus and Lionel Brown discussing champagne. I didn't look back to see who wrote this episode, but I'm a fan.   

On 2/4/2022 at 11:17 AM, WatchrTina said:

And woe betide the character who faces off against the two of them when Marsali and Claire present a united front.

Bring it!!  Clairsali all the way!

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 3/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, nara said:

🤣🤣🤣

I only got Murtagh and the two who "danced" before him to compare him to.  Murtagh gave us his version of the sword dance when he and Claire were traveling the countryside trying to get Jamie to contact them — back when Black Jack Randall was still in the show.

Murtagh's was angry and anything but graceful. Compared to that? Jamie's was perfect.  He executed the starting bow correctly, but didn't include the swords in any of his steps.

Still, I don't think he was a terrible dancer. Not a great one, but not terrible.

I'm also on board the Marsali love train.  It clearly is better to have her on your side than against you. 😬

I'm also enjoying the way new characters are being added. It feels pretty organic. I'm enjoying the twins. They are clearly there for a reason, but I can wait for the other shoe to drop.

Bonnet's appearance  has to be  just around the corner. The amuse bouche during the opening song—of the coin knuckle-rolling—went on long enough for me to decide that must be Bonnet rolling the coin. And it was confirmed (for me) when the coin was found in Jemmy's basket.  I expect the plan is to get us all tense about when and where he will show up... THEN... it will end up being much more mundane than we expect. Gotta keep the viewers off kilter. 

And as my last word? Roger can sing anytime he likes. I've been enjoying his singing. Did he sing in any previous season? I don't have a memory of it he did. 

• Love 4
On 2/13/2022 at 6:14 PM, Anothermi said:

And as my last word? Roger can sing anytime he likes. I've been enjoying his singing. Did he sing in any previous season? I don't have a memory of it he did. 

He sang at the folk festival, I think?  I like hearing him perform too.  Singing is his only superpower, though LOL.

Edited by Camera One
  • LOL 4