Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: Fragility

• Start Topic

Davia works to find a way to make things right with Andre. Mariana is forced to confront her feelings for Evan. Meanwhile, Raj and Isabella secretly spend time together. Callie learns something about Jamie that might change everything.

I am glad that Davia is connecting with her students but she didn't do anything wrong with Andre.  He tossed something at her and she sent him to the office.  

I cannot stand Raj.  Between his neediness, whining and  being low key shady with her roommate...he's a no

• Love 5

I don't think Mariana should get involved with her boss for a a couple of reasons: He's too old and too weird. She looks like a child next to him and also does not impress me as being very emotionally immature, Just her going through Jamie's drawers alone annoyed the hell out of me. She's a good worker but has a lot of growing up to do.

I agree that both Raj and the roommate are shady. Callie will probably be very angry if/when she learns that Jamie knows about this.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Am I supposed to be on Jamie’s side?  Because I am.  

Me too.  I mean I love Callie's need to fight for the little guy and her liberal bent.  It is very admirable and frankly a lot more people could benefit from being that way in life.  But she is not new.  She is a lawyer and he is a lawyer.  More than anyone she should be very aware what that entails professionally.  If she can't put that aside or at least come to terms with the sort of baggage or compromises that can require, then she should not be dating another lawyer. 

I am so not feeling Davia's story-line.  Like with Callie I am very much ok with what Davia is trying to do wrt the White Fragility thing.  One of the reasons race/racism  as a discussion topic is so fraught is because it is emotional and painful and people can become defensive and shut down.  So it is always great to want to learn outside yourself and put aside emotion and gain some  reasoned perspective.  But I am honestly not sure the writing here can unpack that in a way that is both intelligent and -- let's face it -- entertaining because at the end of the day it is still a tv show.  Already it just feels  a little too... extra.

I do like the Mariana storyline this week though.  I am firmly in the Mariana/Evan camp.  And yeah, it is messed up on so many levels because he is her boss.  But I love their chemistry.  I have another ship on another show that involves a boss/subordinate where, imo, the chemistry just leaps.  So I am no stranger to the should-not-be-hoped-for ship.  LOL.

And my dislike of Raj remains as strong.  I am still not convinced that Isabella is all bad.  I actually love the way they are writing her because, imo, it is ambiguous.  I am also wondering if all the come-hithering we see with her and Raj is actually supposed to be read through Raj's POV and not a third-person omniscient one, so that really we are seeing her through Raj's lust-filled lens and he is seeing something that might not be there.  She did look legit uncomfortable during Raj and Mariana's fight.

The elf thing was funny, tho.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Me too.  I mean I love Callie's need to fight for the little guy and her liberal bent.  It is very admirable and frankly a lot more people could benefit from being that way in life.  But she is not new.  She is a lawyer and he is a lawyer.  More than anyone she should be very aware what that entails professionally.  If she can't put that aside or at least come to terms with the sort of baggage or compromises that can require, then she should not be dating another lawyer. 

For me it's not even that.  She attacked him and was aggressive and outraged from the jump.  She didn't even take a second to listen to him and understand his perspective.  All she cared about were the conclusions she jumped to from 3rd hand information.  She stomped into the room self-righteous, upset, and spoiling for a fight.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Am I supposed to be on Jamie’s side?  Because I am.  

I am too. I mean, I don't get why Callie was so upset about the case.  If the person being sued offers to settle, and the client wants to take the settlement, isn't that win-win? Why get so worked up. 

I don't even remember what the case is about.

Raj is an asshole for telling Alex about Mariana's error in the app. He's kind of an asshole for even hanging out with Alex.

• Love 4

Also on jamie's side.

Gah on Davia taking one step forward with addressing her privledge openly and then one step bacck by picking her career over advocating for these kids.   I think she's going to get more drawn in but seriously, White Women... (I am a white woman).

• Love 2

I admire Callie's fight but Jamie's right- it sounds like what they are offering is a lot of cash for someone living paycheck-to-paycheck.

I like Davia's story but they started the whole Andre thing wrong.  Any student who took their work and threw it at the teacher would (rightfully) be sent to the principal's office.  They should have had him arguing with her to the point she got fed up and sent him. That I would better understand her being torn up about. 

I'm glad to see Mariana not go there with her boss.  Both she and the show won a lot of points for me with that decision.   Obviously we are going to 'go there' at some point in time but hopefully it's after she's moved on to another company. 

I don't think Alex wrote the manifesto; I think he told the even more useless guy on the team (Sam?) and he wrote it.

Raj doesn't bother me as much as most here but why the hell would he go to the birthday party when he was supposed to be at work. That whole bit was just some weird writing for five minutes where the show was being 'clever' by making it look as though Raj and Roommate (can't remember her name) were going to hook up. 

Edited by sab85
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, politichick said:

He's too old and too weird.

That's a totally subjective characterization, which is fine, your opinion. I don't remember if it was spelled out that Evan is autistic, but he is definitely neurodivergent. It would be out of character for the show to follow the general wrong assumption that autistic people cannot have relationships. The show is all about diversity and I hope they have someone who is autistic advising and go forward with he story - which doesn't have to fixate on the disability at all. 

13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I am so not feeling Davia's story-line.  Like with Callie I am very much ok with what Davia is trying to do wrt the White Fragility thing.  One of the reasons race/racism  as a discussion topic is so fraught is because it is emotional and painful and people can become defensive and shut down.  So it is always great to want to learn outside yourself and put aside emotion and gain some  reasoned perspective.  But I am honestly not sure the writing here can unpack that in a way that is both intelligent and -- let's face it -- entertaining because at the end of the day it is still a tv show.  Already it just feels  a little too... extra.

Agree with you. I like that she is trying but the way they are writing is seems a little too forced, as if she is trying to follow a check list of things she needs to do to show allyship.

10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Gah on Davia taking one step forward with addressing her privledge openly and then one step bacck by picking her career over advocating for these kids. 

I actually think that this was the one part that felt realistic and maybe the writers will let this simmer for a while, in the sense that we don't have to see all the steps she needs to take - and setbacks - to understand better the complexities of it all. There are ways to be helpful and people need jobs. The principal pretty much threatened her.

What annoyed me was the direction of the episode on the scene that Raj and Isabella are in the room. The "join me for this yoga thing" to throw all the sex innuendos at us is overused and boring.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I do like the Mariana storyline this week though.  I am firmly in the Mariana/Evan camp.  And yeah, it is messed up on so many levels because he is her boss.  But I love their chemistry.  I have another ship on another show that involves a boss/subordinate where, imo, the chemistry just leaps.  So I am no stranger to the should-not-be-hoped-for ship.  LOL.

And my dislike of Raj remains as strong.  I am still not convinced that Isabella is all bad.  I actually love the way they are writing her because, imo, it is ambiguous.  I am also wondering if all the come-hithering we see with her and Raj is actually supposed to be read through Raj's POV and not a third-person omniscient one, so that really we are seeing her through Raj's lust-filled lens and he is seeing something that might not be there.  She did look legit uncomfortable during Raj and Mariana's fight.

What’s the other tv show 

19 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Also on jamie's side.

Gah on Davia taking one step forward with addressing her privledge openly and then one step bacck by picking her career over advocating for these kids.   I think she's going to get more drawn in but seriously, White Women... (I am a white woman).

Is it even really a career for her or just a job?  I get the feeling that teaching wasn't her calling, but rather just a good job that she was able to get.  I still understand her needing to think before she blows up her life and risks her job though.

16 hours ago, sab85 said:

I admire Callie's fight but Jamie's right- it sounds like what they are offering is a lot of cash for someone living paycheck-to-paycheck.

I like Davia's story but they started the whole Andre thing wrong.  Any student who took their work and threw it at the teacher would (rightfully) be sent to the principal's office.  They should have had him arguing with her to the point she got fed up and sent him. That I would better understand her being torn up about. 

I'm glad to see Mariana not go there with her boss.  Both she and the show won a lot of points for me with that decision.   Obviously we are going to 'go there' at some point in time but hopefully it's after she's moved on to another company. 

I don't think Alex wrote the manifesto; I think he told the even more useless guy on the team (Sam?) and he wrote it.

Raj doesn't bother me as much as most here but why the hell would he go to the birthday party when he was supposed to be at work. That whole bit was just some weird writing for five minutes where the show was being 'clever' by making it look as though Raj and Roommate (can't remember her name) were going to hook up. 

Who even has a birthday party in the middle of a week day?

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, alexvillage said:

That's a totally subjective characterization, which is fine, your opinion. I don't remember if it was spelled out that Evan is autistic, but he is definitely neurodivergent. It would be out of character for the show to follow the general wrong assumption that autistic people cannot have relationships. The show is all about diversity and I hope they have someone who is autistic advising and go forward with he story - which doesn't have to fixate on the disability at all. 

They did spell it out. I think he said how when he was a kid they said he had Aspbergers, but now they just called "on the spectrum."

3 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Is it even really a career for her or just a job?  I get the feeling that teaching wasn't her calling, but rather just a good job that she was able to get.  I still understand her needing to think before she blows up her life and risks her job though.

Isn't "a good job that she was able to get" how most people get their careers?

Good point about the birthday party. But maybe some people do them right after school? I have no kids, so I have no idea.

During that scene I was wondering about all these people who not only leave work in the middle of the day, but when caught, tell their boss they are taking care of something personal.  Callie had the same answer for Marcus when she left work for all the Judge Wilson stuff. If I need to take a personal day, I am supposed to tell my boss before I leave.  I don't just walk out of work no questions asked.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Isn't "a good job that she was able to get" how most people get their careers?

Most of the teachers I know actually wanted to be teachers and went to school to be teachers.  I know one person that became a teacher because she was limited on options with her degree and it didn't stick.  Most of my friends are in the field they studied for like engineering, architecture, medicine, film, music, education.  

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, yourmomiseasy said:

Most of the teachers I know actually wanted to be teachers and went to school to be teachers.  I know one person that became a teacher because she was limited on options with her degree and it didn't stick.  Most of my friends are in the field they studied for like engineering, architecture, medicine, film, music, education.  

Interesting. Most people I know are definitely not in the field they studied. The only ones who do are ones where you needed a specific degree, like nursing or accounting. 

And I work in educational publishing, where half the people studied to be teachers and decided they hated it and changed careers.  I took a temp job 14 years ago and they liked me and made it full time. So Davia's career rings pretty true for me. She didn't know what she wanted to do and took a job, that she decided to make a career.  It makes sense that she would want to protect it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I get the feeling that teaching wasn't her calling, but rather just a good job that she was able to get. 

I think given her story with the homeless kid from last season that she really genuinely wants to help children and took teaching very, very seriously.   I don't know enough about Davia to know one way or the other but I don't think we've been given any reason to think Davia is not invested in teaching.   

8 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

I still understand her needing to think before she blows up her life and risks her job though.

The other members of this group have no choice but to put the education standards of their students over their potential jobs/careers.   Davia doesn't have to risk her job to make change because she doesn't need the change that is being pushed.  Her children will likely be white.

Other teachers don't have that privilege.    They can't afford to put their head down and protect their job because it is their children who are most at risk.   

White Davia is white.

And all Davia had to do, literally everything she had to do, was not announce she'd joined this group.

• Love 2

They're not going to get the educational story correct because TV writers don't understand how schools work.

Davia not understanding how the discipline system works in her school is absurd, it would have been explained in a staff meeting at the beginning of the year and it would be in the handbook.  The principal wouldn't care if she was in some activist group because he doesn't get to make the decisions on discipline either, that type of program was made at a state level.

Teachers are professionals and except in rare cases (where there are massive teacher shortages that allow for emergency certification, and the horrible teach for america program--although that even has some training) you need to have completed a teacher training program with education courses and student teaching.

• Love 4

Davia could have gone to other group members and told them she was threatened by the principal. Is it a public school? They should have a union, if it is.

I'm ecstatic that they featured the White Fragility book (that is a real book, not just a tv prop). This topic needs a lot more exposure, and the degree to which it makes people uncomfortable is a symptom of that reality.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, possibilities said:

Davia could have gone to other group members and told them she was threatened by the principal. Is it a public school? They should have a union, if it is.

That's a good point that didn't occur to me. We were also not given a lot of explanations about the group and while she didn't have to announce that she was part of it, my impression was that it would be some form of activism. But the union observation is true so maybe the writers didn't think it through.

I am not bothered by the fact that she was afraid to lose her job. I do think it was some sort of "calling". She was part of Teaching For America, so maybe she felt she could do more, go further. The story does fit the show's activism side. 

7 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Other teachers don't have that privilege.    They can't afford to put their head down and protect their job because it is their children who are most at risk.   

That's a good point but because Davia is white and because she has the privilege, it is also realistic for the show to explore that. People don't unlearn oppression very easily. It is a process and I appreciate the writers showing those setbacks - if that's the objective 

As for the party in the middle of the day, maybe those are homeschooled children. I have seen groups having parties at a park near me in the middle of the day, so that's a thought

• Love 1
14 hours ago, bybrandy said:

And all Davia had to do, literally everything she had to do, was not announce she'd joined this group.

She probably wouldn't have if she had known it wasn't a school sponsored group. She seemed to think the principal would be pleased with her joining it.

• Love 3
On 2/20/2020 at 5:06 PM, DearEvette said:

I am starting to think that Raj is imagining it all too, and I hope that is the case. That would be so different and interesting.

On 2/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

This made me laugh out loud! 

• Love 1

Just when I thought that Callie was actually showing some maturity and had grown past her self riotous flailing about approach to activism and fighting for the little guy, she pulls this crap. Totally on Jamie's side in all of this, like, what was he supposed to do? He tried to tell her, and she skipped off before he could, and he did get those people more money than they would have gotten originally, its not like Jamie is in charge of any of this, I dont think he is even a particularly high ranking lawyer yet. If it wasnt him, it would be someone else, someone else who might not care as much about helping the renters at least get compensation for having to leave, this was going to happen at this point. Its not his fault that the law is unfair, it sounds like he (and the renters) were trying to make the best of a bad situation, but I guess Callie would have preferred, what? The renters keep fighting and get nothing, and are now homeless? Jamie quits out of protest and loses his career and any possibility of helping people? Wasn't getting a settlement one of the points? Was it that they wanted to keep their homes...but they will now probably get better homes, where they might not even have to rent, but buy? Because the big corporation got what they want, even if the tenets also got something too? Or did Callie want all these people to get nothing so that they can set a precedent or make a moral point? Because making a big moral point might not be the biggest concern for people facing homelessness! I thought that Callie had gotten at least a little more big picture in how she can help people, but apparently not, and I thought her getting super pissed and self important with Jamie was really crappy, to anyone, especially her own boyfriend. 

The plot with Davia...I get what they're trying to do, have her deal with her white privilege and how it relates to her teaching minority students, including having her read and quote White Fragility (a real book and a very good read) but its just not fully working for me in the way thats its being framed. Her throwing Andre out of class wasnt over nothing, he was constantly disrupting class, being disrespectful, and generally causing problems, I think that most teachers would have done that if it went on for as long as it seemed to be going on for, so her being all angsty about her ruining his life with her whiteness seems pretty over the top. I could get her trying to reach out to him more, as he does seem like a bright kid who seems to be going through some stuff and is acting out, but they seem to be framing it all around race, and race and teaching style are two different issues, and they arent tying them together very well. Its a really fraught topic, and I dont know if the show has the complexity for it. I do find her being conflicted about going to the equality meeting and possibly hurting her future to be a good thread. 

Actually, I thought her whole issue about trying to decide if it was better to possibly lose her job fighting the good fight or fight within the system to help people was a good tie in to Jamie working for the people evicting the poor tetants, but trying to give them the best deal they could. 

This plot with Isabella and Raj just seems so soapy, Mariana and Raj are having some serious issues that they need to talk about. She has a thing for Evan, he seems to be attracted to Isabella, its not going to work, even not taking into account their work place issues, if they are both looking at other people. Also, I am so freaking sick of Marianas two awful co-workers. They only exist to be the avatars of the very worst of tech guy racist misogynists and to be the bad guys in Marianas plots, and that makes for very dull and irritating characters. Yeah there are obviously people like that in real life (and the manifesto is presumably based on the real incident that happened at Google I think) but they make for really boring characters to have to deal with long term. I do wonder if it was actually the glasses wearing lackey of Alex who wrote the manifesto, and not Alex.  

• Love 7

I don't think the show is saying that Davia is ruining the kid's life with her whiteness. I think they're illustrating that the system doles out unequal consequences for kids depending on race, and that she didn't know that, and once she found out, she was upset by it.

And now she's trying to figure out what to do, and it's not easy.

I think it's hopeful, because I think the implication being suggested, first by the veteran teacher she talked to in the hall a few episodes ago (who told her she'd figure it out once she wasn't so new there) and the existence of the group that Davia almost joined.

If they made it too simple and easy, that WOULD be implying that Davia was just a total villain for not knowing how to handle the situation to good ends right from the start. Making it a struggle I think helps generate sympathy for her, even though she's clearly making mistakes.

I think a lot of people are at least as clueless as Davia, so showing her muddling through, and continuing to try even when she fails, is a good thing.

If she had sent the kid to the principle for no reason whatsoever, it wouldn't be a story about how unequal the system is, it would be a story about what a shitty person Davia is. I think what they are doing is more nuanced than that.

It IS hard to watch, though. I think Davia comes across whiny and self-pitying both here and with Dennis. It's in character. It's annoying. But she also comes across as a person who wants to do the right thing, who tries, who struggles, and who isn't a hopeless case. I like that.

With Dennis, she's right that many people will not consider her a romantic prospect, because she's not a stick figure. That resentment is justified, just like her resentment about having things thrown at her when she's trying to teach. But the show is kind of saying that even when there's some good reason for her feelings, there may be ways she's also not seeing the whole picture, and that acting without that other information may cause worse problems. And it's hard! Life is challenging sometimes!

What I'm hoping is that they show her eventually figuring it out and that it's worth it, that the difficulty she's having now leads to something that she will be really happy about, one way or another.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Just when I thought that Callie was actually showing some maturity and had grown past her self riotous flailing about approach to activism and fighting for the little guy, she pulls this crap.

To me, it is even little out of character if you watched The Fosters or know her background.

As frustrating and unfair as it might be, the solution was very real. The "little" people often lose, the "big" bosses usually win. Callie knows that, she grew up in the system. Her reaction of outrage is, at the same time, understandable and over the top. It is outrageous that the tenants have to ultimately accept the offer - and a follow up on them would show that things got much harder for them - but she should be more prepared for a big setback. The fact that Jamie was the one there  delivering a piece of paper doesn't change that. It is almost like the bigger blow was to her ego and not to the tenants, who lost but "lost less" than they eventually would have.

• Love 2
On 2/23/2020 at 9:28 AM, tennisgurl said:

.but they will now probably get better homes, where they might not even have to rent, but buy?  

I guarantee you that's not what's going to happen unless they pick up their lives and move out of LA, possibly out of California.  I think the max the developer is required to pay is $20k, the minimum is under $10k.  It's a sliding scale that takes into account how long you've been there, if you're elderly, disabled, have kids, etc.  This applies to rent controlled buildings -- so the assumption is these people are not paying market rents, otherwise they'd probably just take the money and run and find a new place at market.  If you've been in your place for a while, you are probably paying way under market because rents have increased a lot over the last few years and max increase in a rent controlled place is (I think) 3%.  I haven't rented in 10 years, but back when I was renting I'd been in my place for 10 years at the end of my tenure and I was paying around $1400/month and the same floor plan in my complex was going for just under $2k.  I think now, 10 years later that same apartment's market price is around $3k.  This was a 1 bed/1bath, but in a "luxury" complex.  While I was living there I got a notice that they were going convert to condos and I could either buy my unit or take ~$5k to leave.  I was already looking at houses so I was excited about free money, but I was  single person with no kids making 6 figures with a lot of savings.  They never went through with it though, and I bought a house anyway.  So anyway, if Jamie got them double, the max payout is probably in the $40k range.  That might sound like a lot, but if you were just scraping by in your under market apartment, it's not going to keep you in a market rate apartment for long and it surely isn't going to buy you a house and even if it would be enough to get you in one, you're not going to be able to afford the mortgage payments as the median house price in LA is over $700k.  

Jamie also got the developers to agree to put in extra low income units, but that doesn't help the people that are moving out.  It isn't like the units will be immediately available, they have to be built.  Also, even though they are agreeing to it, when they inevitably have to cut units those will be the first to go.  Planning, land use, and housing affordability is a really big problem in LA right now, but the show isn't really doing a good job to explain it.  And really, that'd be a boring ass show, so I don't blame them.

Anyway, all that being said, I'm still on Jamie's side.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 2/24/2020 at 3:55 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

And really, that'd be a boring ass show, so I don't blame them.

Great post.. Real life is hard and boring AF sometimes... 

For Davia ... I enjoyed the missteps.. Until I got a bit older I had no idea how clueless and Fragile some white folks were... I grew up with my older half-sister but she was raised by my mom and grew up with us in a pretty progressive house.. So she was taught about her privilege before I even knew she had it.. So I was shocked when like around middle school I started to notice things.. And when the white kids I asked questions to were stumped... So was I... I assumed they were all like my sister... Life has taught me that is not the case

• Love 4
On 2/21/2020 at 10:03 PM, possibilities said:

I'm ecstatic that they featured the White Fragility book (that is a real book, not just a tv prop). This topic needs a lot more exposure, and the degree to which it makes people uncomfortable is a symptom of that reality.

Yeah, that was my first thought...hmmm...I'm sure both the committee and the union would be interested in a rundown of that conversation.