Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Lifetime Achievement

Mayor Buddy Gray asks Tommy to personally oversee the investigation when a Hollywood producer is attacked during a party at his home by a woman who claims he tried to sexually assault her first. Also, Tommy prepares for the LAPD recertification process to demonstrate her fitness for her position.

Original air date 2020.02.20

53 minutes ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I can’t place the actress who played the cop but I know her from somewhere. IMDB no help either. Anyone?

Susan Heyward - OITNB: Tamika Ward

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, MDL said:

Did the Mayor, do an "attitude 180" regarding Tommy,  after the rich woman (the widow??) laid out the "I contributed $400,000"etc. veiled threat ? 

Buddy really is an interesting character.. I feel left all to his own whims he'd be a super progressive honest good mayor.. But that's just not the world.. So I guess he pushes back when he can.. And bends when he has to. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, UNOSEZ said:

Buddy really is an interesting character.. I feel left all to his own whims he'd be a super progressive honest good mayor.. But that's just not the world.. So I guess he pushes back when he can.. And bends when he has to. 

That does make him more interesting, doesn't it?  He's flexible.  Not popular nowadays to sway with the wind/go with the flow -- but sometimes that's the only way to be, and survive.

So why IS he separating from his wife?  I missed the second episode. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

That does make him more interesting, doesn't it?  He's flexible.  Not popular nowadays to sway with the wind/go with the flow -- but sometimes that's the only way to be, and survive.

So why IS he separating from his wife?  I missed the second episode. 

Ripped from the history books? Except for the younger driver/detective If the characters were real during life span of their careers a Los Angeles Mayor cheated on his wife and broke up and a Chief of Police recruited from out of state could not qualify as a California police officer and could not make felony arrest so a special law was passed to allow him to carry a gun.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I really do like this show.

Her low key demeanor will serve her well in LA.  Not sure if being married to a brother first and now gay has anything to do with her demeanor.

The Mayor is so typical of a politician.

I could do without the daughter storyline but I guess some personal story is a must to  have on TV these days.

Her support staff I really like. Low key and professional is very good.

I just hope the writers keep the same rhythm they've had the first three shows.

• Love 8

I was confused by the mayor asking Tommy's PR person to sort out his issue. Doesn't he have his own staff? I really thought that was going to be a set up either for him trying to poach her from Tommy's office to his, or a sexual harassment situation. I was glad it wasn't any of that, but it still struck me as inappropriate and odd.

I like Tommy. And I like how many women are flirting with her.

I also like that she has an amicable relationship with her ex-husband. Based on their daughter's attitude, I was expecting him to be a bit of a jerk, since I thought the daughter might have gotten her anger from him.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

also like that she has an amicable relationship with her ex-husband. Based on their daughter's attitude, I was expecting him to be a bit of a jerk, since I thought the daughter might have gotten her anger from him.

I was happy as well... Its possible he was angrier before and some of that rubbed off when the daughter was younger.. But they seem to be in a good place now... Also Tommy has good taste.. Or she's hot ppl catnip . or both between the two women so far who've flirted and a good looking ex.. Tommy has got it... 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, possibilities said:

I was confused by the mayor asking Tommy's PR person to sort out his issue. Doesn't he have his own staff? I really thought that was going to be a set up either for him trying to poach her from Tommy's office to his, or a sexual harassment situation. I was glad it wasn't any of that, but it still struck me as inappropriate and odd

I am not convinced that the mayor was not smitten with Tommy’s PR person. 
But I do hope this was the end of that storyline and that we seen another instance of Tommy’s PR person deftly shutting down another come-on, and I would like to see a smart, physically attractive, youngish character choosing to not get romantically involved. 
But that’s probably too much to ask for. 
Still, I watched three other so-called mid-season replacement shows this past week, also staring decent, known actors, and all three had crappy writing, so this is relatively refreshing. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 8

So this show is more of a fantasy than God Friended Me.  The woman who killed the movie guy gets off with the judge dropping charges rather than a court room trial?  Right.... somebody's day dream of Harvey Weinstein (whose trial currently has a conflicted jury).  

I can't stand Tommy's daughter.  she comes across as neurotic and spoiled and a cry baby in general.  I can see why her husband preferred hanging out in the used record shop rather than being home with her.     And what was going on with the mayor telling the Press Secretary that he was divorcing his wife?  I'm still confused by that - was he trying to see if she was then going to express interest in him?   

• Love 4
10 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And what was going on with the mayor telling the Press Secretary that he was divorcing his wife?  I'm still confused by that - was he trying to see if she was then going to express interest in him?

He was asking her advice as press secretary when and how to release this information so it does the least harm.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, meira.hand said:
17 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

And what was going on with the mayor telling the Press Secretary that he was divorcing his wife?  I'm still confused by that - was he trying to see if she was then going to express interest in him?

He was asking her advice as press secretary when and how to release this information so it does the least harm.

And later when Mayor and Wife appeared together holding hands on TV, Press Secretary had a line like, "That's what I did," which I presumed was as opposed to Press Secretary having a hot date with Mayor at his most vulnerable moment, but maybe that was not the intended subtext?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:
7 hours ago, meira.hand said:
17 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Read more  

And later when Mayor and Wife appeared together holding hands on TV, Press Secretary had a line like, "That's what I did," which I presumed was as opposed to Press Secretary having a hot date with Mayor at his most vulnerable moment, but maybe that was not the intended subtext?

I saw it as her patting herself on the shoulder for giving him a good professional advice, which he followed, i.e. filling the news cycle with positive message supporting women, with his wife by his side, which will make the news about the divorce a small private issue that will not harm him or humiliate his wife.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

So this show is more of a fantasy than God Friended Me.  The woman who killed the movie guy gets off with the judge dropping charges rather than a court room trial?  Right.... somebody's day dream of Harvey Weinstein (whose trial currently has a conflicted jury).  

I think if you go back and watch this court room  part of the show the DA was given a file, read it, dropped the charges and the judge dismissed the case.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, JayDub said:

I think if you go back and watch this court room  part of the show the DA was given a file, read it, dropped the charges and the judge dismissed the case.

True, but even if it was self-defense, shouldn't there be a trial?  The DA has that much authority? 

Or is this a case where nobody wants a trial, since it will blacken the guy's reputation, make Hollywood and LA look bad?  The man's wife is probably fine with letting it go.   

• Useful 1
9 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

True, but even if it was self-defense, shouldn't there be a trial?  The DA has that much authority? 

Or is this a case where nobody wants a trial, since it will blacken the guy's reputation, make Hollywood and LA look bad?  The man's wife is probably fine with letting it go.   

First and foremost this was a preliminary hearing to see if there was cause to move to the trial stage and yes the DA has that much authority in a criminal case.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

It is more than power, it is the DA's duty to drop charges and not persecute someone he thinks is innocent. Not do his best to convict and hope a jury sees the truth 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Our criminal part of the justice system has a lot of checks and balances.

One the police must provide sufficent evidence for the DA's office to bring charges that they feel are compelling enough to present in a preliminary hearing so that the judge will let the case move to a jury trial.

The burden of proof is with the DA in the trial to prove to a jury the defendant(s) are guilty beyond a shadow of doubt.

The judge has a lot of responsibility in how evidence is presented, ruling on matters of the applicable law in the case that is used and ruling the objections by both the DA and defendants legal counsel. His handling of the case is critical if the defendant is convicted by the jury and his legal team decides to appeal to the next level in the judicial system and that is the court of appeals.

Edited by JayDub

As much as everyone hates to admit it politics do play into it a lot as well.   A DA who wants to Stay DA is not going to prosecute a rape victim for killing her assaulter without some serious extenuating circumstances and it looks like the circumstances went in the other direction.    The dude had other victims.   If the DA did bring charges it would bring a shitstorm down on him.   His best chance to either drop the charges and call it a day or make her a sweetheart deal.   Plus there is still the civil case which again.....shitstorm so more then likely the wife will drop it just to keep her husband “lifetime achievement” from going the other way.

in other news I did kind of like Tommy and her continuing to note how the rules are just different for her then they are for the chiefs before her.   She has to actually pass her fitness exam or somebody will say she doesn’t deserve the job.   Where the last few it was just a formality.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3