Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Part III

• Start Topic

This story continues to work for me where the other two didn’t.   I think maybe because it is such a simple story where the other two were more complicated.   Jamie has everything a man like him is supposed to want but is still not happy.   Then comes a guy from his wild youth who takes him back to a time where there were no limits.    I am just guessing,  but I think Jamie balked at killing someone as the ultimate show of supremacy.   But now that he has killed his old friend he is Untethered  and a threat to everyone around him.  He has a form of PTSD.   Was it murder or even manslaughter really?     Or do we have a guy on the edge of becoming a serial killer?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 13

I have no clue what's going on with Jamie, but I hope there aren't any more scenes where I have to worry about him harming the baby.  That was really difficult to watch.

What's the deal with the artist?  Did she recognize Jamie or not?  She seems intrigued by him.  There's gotta be some history there.

Speaking of the artist, I can't decide if I think she's attractive or not.  She's kinda homely sometimes, and then she'll change her hair or expression or the camera will show her in a different angle and she's quite pretty.  I think Ambrose is intrigued by her, but I don't think he's smitten.

• Love 4

I hope they have some more twists to this than Jamie running around thinking of Nick and tempted to do things. I really, really don’t want to see scenes where someone is thinking of harming the baby.

I thought the artist was somehow involved with Nick and Jamie but in this episode she seemed like she didn’t know them at all. I do find it hard to believe Jamie was just going along having a normal life until Nick reappeared. Still love Bill Pullman.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I hope they have some more twists to this than Jamie running around thinking of Nick and tempted to do things.

Amen.  Also, my DVR cut off at the point where Jamie walks out of his home after demanding that the family friend hand him the baby, then we see that Ambrose is watching him from a car.   Did anything happen after that?

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1

This is my first season with this show, came for The Bomer.  Could anyone tell last night what the bloody/dirty hands were holding when Jamie was having flashbacks during the digging noises in his head episodes?  Bone, tubing?  Did they bury someone alive back in the day??!!  Was that what the new hole was for??!!  We were having a snow event last night and the dish kept blurbing🙄 so it was hard to tell and the scenes were quick and dark.  The picture the old roomie sent Ambrose, was Jamie holding a hubcap?!😁.  That was one cute baby and that one scene in the nursery was tough.  The artist lady now stalking Jamie is a curious twist.  Even scruffy and potentially deadly, Matt can sell that Caffrey intensity.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, patty1h said:

Amen.  Also, my DVR cut off at the point where Jamie walks out of his home after demanding that the family friend hand him the baby, then we see that Ambrose is watching him from a car.   Did anything happen after that?

Yes.  Ambrose approached him, they talked -- and Ambrose said he'd get Jamie some help.  Ambrose took Jamie to a hospital where Jamie talked to a doctor.  It looked like Jamie was about to be committed -- Jamie pretty much admitted that he wasn't in control of himself -- but then he panicked and ran away.  The episode ended with Ambrose setting up a search.

As for that tubing and the dirt -- I wonder if Jamie and Nick did a "buried alive" test/experiment.  Would the movie Vanishing been popular at around that time?  I can see them being fascinated with it, and Jamie is for sure fascinated with death.

No clue about a hubcap -- that photo was blurry, and the focus was on the word on the wall, the ubermensch (sp?).

• Love 6

I'm digging this show, especially due to Matt Bomer's unexpected spectacular performance (and hotness), but I'm a bit worried about where it's heading. I feel as though I'm being primed for a twist (which I would love), but I'm starting to think that there really is no twist and it is as straightforward as we assume--Jamie and Nick did risky and life-threatening things in order to feel something and this may have escalated into killing someone. I'm hoping it's not that. 

• Love 7

I’m liking this story a lot, and I’m curious as to where it is going now. Jamie is definitely off his rocker - I’m wondering how he was able to lead a stable life for all of the years in between when he last saw Nick and now, and just how stable he really was, he’s clearly a very disturbed person, like I’ve said before - it seems like Nick was the dominant one in the relationship, but I think Jamie is villainous as well.

I’m really curious about the painter, I can’t figure out if she knows Jamie or Nick or why they were on her property. And now she’s coming on to Ambrose, I’m not sure whether to trust her or not.

Who was the guy who was with Jamie and his wife when she was giving birth and who later was holding the baby and Jamie demanded he hand the baby to him? I know we’ve seen that guy before at Jamie’s house, but who is he? 

Why is Jamie so interested in the one student in his class? Does anyone else think she will play a role in the story and that we haven’t seen the last of her, Jamie’s focus on her seems odd. 

• Love 2

I have no clue what's going on with Jamie, but I hope there aren't any more scenes where I have to worry about him harming the baby.  That was really difficult to watch.

He has a form of PTSD.   Was it murder or even manslaughter really?     Or do we have a guy on the edge of becoming a serial killer? 

Not sure how Nick fits in, but I think Jamie has OCD and one piece of it is intrusive thoughts.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

In the infamous 1920's case of Leopold and Loeb, two smart, affuent Chicago college students kidnapped and murdered a child to prove Nietzsche's theory of the "ubermensch" or superior man.  Failing to get away with the crime rules them out of the superior man category, but the appearance of "ubermensch" on the headboard makes me think that Jamie and Nick tried the same thing, killing and burying someone.  And the flashback grave-digging scenes suggest that unlike Leopold and Loeb, they succeed in getting away with their crime.      

• Useful 2
  • Love 6

Bomer is killing this role.  I don't know if I can take any more baby scenes with him.  All of his scenes have this sense of dread or anticipation - like some crap can go down at any minute.

I need to start drinking while watching this because it really packs on the anxiety.

• Love 3
On 2/22/2020 at 9:43 AM, TarHeelmissy said:

Our DISH guide is showing an "Inside the Episode 1" at 11 on tonight 2-22 and "2" at midnight 2-23.  Is this typical for this series?  Excited for any behind-the-scenes footage of those Bomer blue eyes😄💙😄

I watched Part 1 and there was nothing "inside" -- it was just a repeat.  I didn't bother to watch Part II.  Disappointing!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

I’m wondering how he was able to lead a stable life for all of the years in between when he last saw Nick and now, and just how stable he really was, he’s clearly a very disturbed person, like I’ve said before - it seems like Nick was the dominant one in the relationship, but I think Jamie is villainous as well.

Given the way Jamie was reacting to the baby coming, I suspect he might have been able to lead a relatively normal life but didn't know how to cope with a big life change like his impending fatherhood.  That inability to cope led him to reach out to Nick after years of cutting him off*. 

I also wonder if the scenes with his student are giving us hints as to when he became vulnerable to Nick in the first place.  He's taking the ivy league pressure personally and it makes me suspect he was having a tough time coping with school when he met Nick.  And for whatever reason, Nick's brand of feeling or inflicting pain calmed him in the way some people feel compelled to self-harm or cut.  

*And the Inside the Episode for Ep. 1 made me wonder if he sees a kindred soul in Ambrose.  While BDSM play is often just a kink unrelated to outside pressures, it felt like Ambrose sometimes had a compulsion to engage in BDSM due to the pressures of his failing marriage and job. 

3 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I watched Part 1 and there was nothing "inside" -- it was just a repeat.  I didn't bother to watch Part II. 

The "Inside" stuff is at the very end of the episode.  The website has short interviews with the creator, Matt, and Bill about each episode.  The "Inside The Sinner" airings show the full episode, the previews and then they show those same interviews at the very end.  You don't need to watch the TV version, though.  All the interviews are uploaded here.  There's one up for Ep. 3 too. 

12 hours ago, jrlr said:

In the infamous 1920's case of Leopold and Loeb, two smart, affuent Chicago college students kidnapped and murdered a child to prove Nietzsche's theory of the "ubermensch" or superior man. 

When I read the description of the season, I immediately thought of the Hitchcock film Rope which was originally a play based on Leopold and Loeb

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
On 2/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, AuntiePam said:

As for that tubing and the dirt -- I wonder if Jamie and Nick did a "buried alive" test/experiment.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Please, no more scenes of harm to the baby. I couldn't watch that.

Don't read Nietzsche, kids! You'll end up with no moral centre whatsoever! And don't hand your baby to your imaginary friend! (What do you mean, that's not what I'm meant to take from this episode?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Given the way Jamie was reacting to the baby coming, I suspect he might have been able to lead a relatively normal life but didn't know how to cope with a big life change like his impending fatherhood.  That inability to cope led him to reach out to Nick after years of cutting him off*. 

I also wonder if the scenes with his student are giving us hints as to when he became vulnerable to Nick in the first place.  He's taking the ivy league pressure personally and it makes me suspect he was having a tough time coping with school when he met Nick.  And for whatever reason, Nick's brand of feeling or inflicting pain calmed him in the way some people feel compelled to self-harm or cut.  

*And the Inside the Episode for Ep. 1 made me wonder if he sees a kindred soul in Ambrose.  While BDSM play is often just a kink unrelated to outside pressures, it felt like Ambrose sometimes had a compulsion to engage in BDSM due to the pressures of his failing marriage and job. 

The "Inside" stuff is at the very end of the episode.  The website has short interviews with the creator, Matt, and Bill about each episode.  The "Inside The Sinner" airings show the full episode, the previews and then they show those same interviews at the very end.  You don't need to watch the TV version, though.  All the interviews are uploaded here.  There's one up for Ep. 3 too. 

When I read the description of the season, I immediately thought of the Hitchcock film Rope which was originally a play based on Leopold and Loeb

Watched Rope last night!

• Love 3
On 2/22/2020 at 11:06 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Who was the guy who was with Jamie and his wife when she was giving birth and who later was holding the baby and Jamie demanded he hand the baby to him? I know we’ve seen that guy before at Jamie’s house, but who is he? 

We see him and his husband at their house hosting Jamie and his wife to a dinner party. The one where Jamie passes out.

The thing that connects all The Sinner stories together is Bill Pullman's inappropriate "relationships" with the women who are potential suspects. that he is supposed to be investigating.

• Useful 2
On 2/21/2020 at 6:46 PM, AuntiePam said:

No clue about a hubcap -- that photo was blurry, and the focus was on the word on the wall, the ubermensch (sp?).

I thought the "hubcap" was actually the tubing coiled up in a circle. I could be wrong though, it was a grainy photo. 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:56 AM, AuntiePam said:

I think Ambrose is intrigued by her, but I don't think he's smitten.

I think he is very intrigued and somewhat smitten. And I think the artist was working on a painting of Ambrose in one of the later scenes in this episode.

Of course, if she decides to show Ambrose some bondage stuff and bends him over to smack his ass -- Ambrose will be ALL IN. The sciatica may act up or the workout may help!

I love Bill Pullman. Full stop. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2

What connects all the episodes together is the way Ambrose sees a bit of himself in all the killers he investigates. He is a man on the edge. The fact that he himself is not a criminal is kind of a miracle. Instead, he feels a deep empathy for those who crossed the line and wants to help them. In a crazy twisted way, he's helping himself  too. 

I hope he hooks up with Sonya. He deserves some peace in his life.

Matt Bomer has an ability to make his eyes go completely dead, and it's really effective and creepy.

I am getting a weirdness between Ambrose and the other detective (Vic?) - I feel like Vic is always staring hard at Ambrose and asking him if he can help with the case, but Ambrose usually shuts him down and Vic walks away like a wounded pup.  Not sure if this means anything, but it stands out to me.

I have no idea where this is going, but it sure is intriguing.