Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network in the Media

• Start Topic

Is that common?

Restaurant pros buying at W-S? Seems kind of high end. And I would think that those items could be found at a better value in a restaurant supply type place.

I really don't miss Jay and I really don't miss Dom.

• Love 1

I was thinking perhaps they went to FN to pick up their FNS paychecks and stopped by at WS, LOL.  Also, there's a much more reasonable cooking supply store right in the Food Network building at Chelsea Market they could have gone to rather than make the 5 block walk to WS.  I'm assuming they went to the FN offices given the photo on the same day with Suzie.

• Love 1

Show concept! The Next Food Network CEO.

"Bob, Susie, each of you will be assigned two B list celebrities from the nineties. Your job? To create a show concept and film a five minute promo highlighting their skill. You have five hours and the clock starts NOW.

• Love 8

Isn't that essentially what Rachel Ray's Kid Cookoff (or whatever it was called exactly) was this year? One of the prizes for the winner was their own web show on foodnetwork.com. Every episode they had to present their food in front of a camera. They even had a Dom-like kid who froze up whenever he had to present his food.

• Love 2

From the article, I can't tell if he's leaving voluntarily or not, but this quote about the new person:

“She was a driving force behind 2015’s successful programming slate, with titles such as ‘Chopped Junior’ and ‘Worst Cooks in America: Celebrity Edition’ as just two examples of Didi’s creative instinct driving double-digit ratings gains."

Pretty much tells you what kind of crap they'll be doing from now on. I wonder what's going to happen with Medusa?

• Love 1

I was just stopping by to drop the news about Bob, but I'm a day late.

I mentioned this somewhere before, but I had a chance to meet him while attending a multi-day cable event. He's a really good guy and super smart. I hope he ends up somewhere where he's happy, and if it's still working in the industry, the new place will be lucky to get him.

• Love 2

I've always liked Bob so I was sorry to hear the news unless, of course, he's moving on to a better opportunity elsewhere.  I was wondering how old he is and discovered, to my surprise, that he doesn't seem to have a Wikipedia page.  So I Googled but I never did find his age.  He looks too young to retire but I don't know.............

Awww, I'm really sorry to hear this news - I always liked Bob.  On an interview he did several yeas ago he said he was "Younger than Harrison Ford but older than Brad Pitt".  Harrison is in his 70s and Brad is 53.  I always thought Bob was around my age give or take a few years (57).  Hearing about his replacement saddens me because if she had anything to do with that train wreck celebrity season of "Worst Cooks in America", the network is going to continue to degenerate into garbage.  And to call that "creative"?  Who are they kidding?  Very sad situation.

• Love 1

Awww, I'm really sorry to hear this news - I always liked Bob.  On an interview he did several yeas ago he said he was "Younger than Harrison Ford but older than Brad Pitt".  Harrison is in his 70s and Brad is 53.  I always thought Bob was around my age give or take a few years (57).  Hearing about his replacement saddens me because if she had anything to do with that train wreck celebrity season of "Worst Cooks in America", the network is going to continue to degenerate into garbage.  And to call that "creative"?  Who are they kidding?  Very sad situation.

I'm definitely with you on that!  Celebrity WCIA was not as great as they seem to think, although I guess it must have gotten some ratings.

• Love 1
‘Worst Cooks in America: Celebrity Edition’ ..........................examples of Didi’s creative instinct driving double-digit ratings gains."

Pretty much tells you what kind of crap they'll be doing from now on.

That made me think.  Lately, it seems like more and more actors I've never heard of and comedians ditto have been showing up on shows like Guilty Pleasures.  I'm OK with Ross Mathews who is a known foodie but the rest of them bug me because I don't want non-food people talking to me about food.  LOL  Anyhow, I wonder now if this new person is behind the changes.  If so, I'm probably not going to like whatever is in FN's future.

I was googling Joy's restaurant because I'm still not convinced she doesn't know what pad thai is and came across this.

Popular local chef and ‘Food Network Star’ contestant dealing with tax liens (May 18)

According to state and federal documents, Chef Joy Thompson’s business -- officially called Sprinkle of Sugar, LLC, which includes Southern Sisters, an event center above the upscale restaurant and a wedding cake business -- owes around $240,000 in back taxes and penalties.

Her husband, who does the books, is claiming ignorance. 

5 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Posting here in Food Network Star in the Media because I haven't seen anything recent about another season.

Anybody have any info, or am I in the wrong pew?

Come sit beside me, we can take money from collection plate and go out for lunch.  I keep an ear to the ground, always, for any food competitions.  We need more and better offerings.  I hope they do another one, I like this show compared to some others.  Top Chef, of course, is my favorite.  I am not big on sweets but I sit through the some of the baking comps, grudgingly. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, wings707 said:

Come sit beside me, we can take money from collection plate and go out for lunch.  I keep an ear to the ground, always, for any food competitions.  We need more and better offerings.  I hope they do another one, I like this show compared to some others.  Top Chef, of course, is my favorite.  I am not big on sweets but I sit through the some of the baking comps, grudgingly. 

Iron Chef was never one of my favorites - too kinetic - but it's returning tomorrow night at 9 as Iron Chef Gauntlet.  I'm checking on opening a thread on the IC forum.  Sunday night used to be a wealth of riches on FN, and lately it's been barren.  I still want Great Food Truck Race back.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Iron Chef was never one of my favorites - too kinetic - but it's returning tomorrow night at 9 as Iron Chef Gauntlet.  I'm checking on opening a thread on the IC forum.  Sunday night used to be a wealth of riches on FN, and lately it's been barren.  I still want Great Food Truck Race back.

I never watched IC regularly either.  I caught a few here and there.  I will watch tomorrow though and I agree what happened to Sunday nights?   

I loved the first season of Food Truck Race.  They totally changed the format and I don't like it and dislike Tyler even more.  He had another show about food court businesses, didn't like that either.  

It is time for Chopped to make some changes too, that is getting stale.  A new set MUST happen, the one they have had is hideous.  When has anyone every said orange and brown is an appealing color combo?  NEVER!  

See? we need to be in charge.  

• Love 3
Just now, wings707 said:

I don't get this.  Please explain the reference, it flew by me! 

Remember the FN management team who used to judge at the famous female-inspired Table of Doom?  Bob Tuschman (who looked like Kermit the Frog) and Susie Fogelson (whose mad mop of hair earned her the name Medusa).  They were canned simultaneously, and FN has been in freefall ever since.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Remember the FN management team who used to judge at the famous female-inspired Table of Doom?  Bob Tuschman (who looked like Kermit the Frog) and Susie Fogelson (whose mad mop of hair earned her the name Medusa).  They were canned simultaneously, and FN has been in freefall ever since.

I remember them well, just not their nicknames.  I was dashed when they were fired; I liked them both.   Do you know the reason why?  I could google but if you know I would rather just have you tell me!  LOL

44 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Bless you, mlp.  I'd forgotten about FNG - I guess since there hasn't been much to gossip about lately.

I can hardly wait to snark on DJEEEEEAHHHDAHHH on a weekly basis.  It may not be a popular opinion, but I like Bobby Flay, and his reactions to some of the antics are priceless.

I like Bobby, too and I do like his and Giada's familiar relationship, it adds to the levity.  Also love Valerie and wish she had a more prominent role after Comeback Kitchen.  Tyler, no, never.  I just do not like him.  I know someone who worked with him and said his assistant creates his recipes.  What kind of a chef is that?  Also, he has the personality of cardboard. 

Thank you @mlp

ETA.  Who is Delilah and why will she be on this show?  She is not listed on the Comeback Kitchen roster.  Just googled her and she does not ring a bell. 

Edited by wings707
7 minutes ago, Uncle Benzene said:

Memo to Food Network: Quit trying to make Hashtag Matthew Grunwald happen. Thanks.

Maybe someone could bundle Grunwald with Philip Manbun Franklin Lee and exile them to Table Tennis Network.

• Love 2

Delilah?  Do you mean Danushka?  She was rather notorious.

I think the "phonetics" above referred to Giada.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, wings707 said:

I remember them well, just not their nicknames.  I was dashed when they were fired; I liked them both.   Do you know the reason why?  I could google but if you know I would rather just have you tell me!  LOL

Only speculation on my part as to why they were fired.  FN, being part of a larger corporate cable umbrella, wanted to change their target audience, meaning younger than us, wings!

They brought in Didi O'Hearn to run things, and we know how that has worked out. The elimination of favorites, and the surplus of kid-oriented and icky-sweet baking competitions, has changed this viewer's default channel to something else.  I'm sad, because FN was always a TV refuge, like curling up in a comfy bathrobe with hot chocolate and peanut butter toast.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, spiderpig said:

Only speculation on my part as to why they were fired.  FN, being part of a larger corporate cable umbrella, wanted to change their target audience, meaning younger than us, wings!

They brought in Didi O'Hearn to run things, and we know how that has worked out. The elimination of favorites, and the surplus of kid-oriented and icky-sweet baking competitions, has changed this viewer's default channel to something else.  I'm sad, because FN was always a TV refuge, like curling up in a comfy bathrobe with hot chocolate and peanut butter toast.

LOL.  What do you mean, "elimination of favorites" and why would a younger audience bake more?  

When you get down to logic, older viewers watch more TV and probably cook more. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

LOL.  What do you mean, "elimination of favorites" and why would a younger audience bake more?  

When you get down to logic, older viewers watch more TV and probably cook more. 

It's not that 18-49s cook more - they spend more, according to the all-important bean counters.  I don't believe it either, but I swear if somebody offered an octogenarian channel, network management would insist they aim at a younger audience!

Chopped isn't what it used to be.  Cutthroat Kitchen vanished along with Food Truck Race.  I don't care for Irvine personally, but Restaurant Impossible used to be watchable until it turned into Group Therapy Impossible.

I',m feeling grumpy today.  Must be due to my demographic.

• Love 6

Food Truck Race hasn't disappeared.  The last iteration was awful and a shell of the earlier seasons but it was on in August, when it normally airs.  It may disappear this year (and I wouldn't particularly care if it's like that last disaster) but time will tell.

I believe this current obsession with baking started before the new management.  What they've stated is that people want to see more celebrities cooking, which we've seen in spades, unfortunately.  Also unfortunately, we've seen their idea of celebrities is sub-Dancing With Stars.  

• Love 1
On 4/16/2017 at 2:42 PM, spiderpig said:

It's not that 18-49s cook more - they spend more, according to the all-important bean counters.  I don't believe it either, but I swear if somebody offered an octogenarian channel, network management would insist they aim at a younger audience.

I read somewhere that the focus by advertisers (and therefore networks) on 18-49 is not because they spend more than an older demographic but because they are more open to establishing and switching brand loyalties.  Younger than that, buying decisions are made by parents.  Older than that, people either have certain brands that they trust or they value-shop regardless of brand.  

The article I read didn't have any sourcing or research but the explanation fit too much into my preconceived notions for me to question it ;) 

• Love 2
On 6/5/2017 at 0:53 PM, rab01 said:

I read somewhere that the focus by advertisers (and therefore networks) on 18-49 is not because they spend more than an older demographic but because they are more open to establishing and switching brand loyalties.  Younger than that, buying decisions are made by parents.  Older than that, people either have certain brands that they trust or they value-shop regardless of brand.  

The article I read didn't have any sourcing or research but the explanation fit too much into my preconceived notions for me to question it ;) 

This makes sense to me.  

On 6/5/2017 at 3:53 PM, rab01 said:

What I've read is that supposedly advertisers aim at a younger demographic because they are the most susceptible to advertising, plus they have more years of spending ahead of them so inspiring brand loyalty in them might ensure more years of future sales.  The problem with this logic is it's based on a 1970s reality, not today's.  People today are living longer so they really should think about revising this.  People today are living 40+ years past 50 (my dad is 90).

• Love 2