Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network in the Media

• Start Topic

Just found this link-he can go to Savannah, Georgia, but not make the New York food and wine festival??

http://savannahnow.c...d-wine-festival

Comparing Lenny to Gene Autry has to be some kind of mortal sin. 

I wonder how much of the history Lenny claims to have is actually true.  I don't recall a lot of it ever coming up on FNS not that that proves anything.

• Love 2

Hah! ^^^^^^^  That's a perfect illustration of how what you don't say can be more meaningful than what you do.  I would respect Alton less if he'd said he adores Giada.

Sometimes I really, really don't know how to take Alton.  So I'm not sure what he's saying or not saying.  That commentary was so over-the-top cranky.

A few years back I encountered Alton in NYC. At the time I worked a few blocks from Chelsea Market so I often saw a lot of FN personalities if I passed on my lunch break or on my way home.  Some I met, some I just gave a glance to. One day I saw Alton and before I thought to approach him I saw a young guy go up to him and just wanted to shake his hand and tell him he was a big fan.  I can't explain his demeanor.  He just seemed..cold? Distant? It was weird and he was hard to read.

I wonder if they checked out the contestants beforehand this time, or are we in for another Lennygate?

Judging from the news reports about Flay and Giada, they probably should have vetted the judges!

I see we have to endure the pompous ramblings of Blais, and the hysterical screeching of Melissa D'Arabian this season.....

Also since they don't trust us to vote on the finals, it makes it that much easier to put their pre-ordained winner on top.

• Love 2

Any word on what is going on with Lenny? It appears that FN has upheld the finest traditions of Pravda and made Lenny a non-person. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed him from old cast pictures!

I seriously wonder if they just paid him to go away and keep his mouth shut. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy to keep such a low profile.

• Love 1

I went to Food Network and searched for 2014 Season 10 finalists. A link for season 10 came up, and when I clicked on it, it took me to Season 11 - hah! I admit I didn't try very hard, but poor Season 10 contestants, Lenny seems to be scrubbed along with the rest of them.

Yeah, it's all our fault they got stuck with Lenny.

That may be true.  All the dirt on Lenny came out well before the finale but Lenny was still the #1 voters' choice which I interpreted, maybe wrongly, as FN having to go with the person who got the most votes, as advertised, for legal reasons.  That's the only reason that makes sense to me for why they would have given him the win.  I can't believe that they weren't aware of all the negative comments on their very own blogs.  If I'm correct, I totally understand why they would take back control by eliminating a vote that decides the winner.  They may still allow a vote that indicates viewer preferences as long as they make it clear that it's not binding.

Not buying FN had any obligation to pick Lenny as the winner because of public voting. If you read the contract the contestants sign, it says that who wins is ultimately up to FN, no matter what. I think FN screwed up big time last year.

• Love 1

I don't know that votes ever count with this network. They put out who they think will bring in revenue. They thought they'd struck gold with Lenny's cowboy schtick, and since they tape this show months in advance, they had no way of knowing by the time the final rolled around that he'd be in hot water.

I'm looking forward to a new season, and will get the forum set up accordingly as time draws closer.

• Love 3

they had no way of knowing by the time the final rolled around that he'd be in hot water.

Well, they would have if they had done the most basic checking on the internet, it wasn't some experienced hacker who discovered those videos & posts, it was just people Googling.

edited because was & wasn't aren't the same thing.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 2
Let's say I'm ignorant to Lenny's ignorance...how can they just skip to another season with no damn explanation? How can we have a Food Network Star that never actually manifests on the Food Network??

Was there seriously never a blurb from them about Lenny's absence? Nothing? Why am I voting? Why am I watching? These texts for votes don't pay for themselves.

FYI I did not vote for Lenny. He has crazy eyes.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 2

Let's say I'm ignorant to Lenny's ignorance...how can they just skip to another season with no damn explanation? How can we have a Food Network Star that never actually manifests on the Food Network??

They never explained Justin Warner & they got away with it, why should they treat this any different?

• Love 2

At least Justin has been visibly employed by FN/Scripps since he won. He's blogged on their web site, got his one-off show, did a special on Cooking Channel, has shown up as a judge on at least one show, and now has a web series FN is producing. Lenny just effin' disappeared.

• Love 3

At least Justin has been visibly employed by FN/Scripps since he won. He's blogged on their web site, got his one-off show, did a special on Cooking Channel, has shown up as a judge on at least one show, and now has a web series FN is producing. Lenny just effin' disappeared.

Yes, exactly.  And even while Justin's one-off was apparently stalled, for whatever reason, we were told it was coming.  He tweeted regular updates and I think FN also promoted him.  But Lenny?  Complete crickets . . . is his brother even giving any updates any more?

• Love 3

If asked, they'll come up with something like "Lenny was unable to fulfill his contract; we wish him the best." First rule of PR: always make your own unsavory situation look like it originated elsewhere.

• Love 3

His brother may be keeping quiet now because it seemed like whenever he announced "big plans" or an invitation was in the works, Lenny would then not be included. As if people would be contacting the organization with links to Lenny's unsavory past. He never made it to any of the Food & Wine Festivals, did he? The last mention I saw was Lenny on a private jet headed to Palm Springs, then nothing.

Annnnd its that time again. FN has been playing like crazy commercials for the new season the last few days. I love the show and I look forward to it (not seeing Alton in the ads is a little sad though for me) but, its very, very weird knowing the network hasnt uttered a single word about the current winner.  Granted I couldn't stand Lenny so I dont exactly weep for not seeing him on FN but at the same time I guess I'm going into this season very cautious with a huge question mark over it. Superstardom is never a guarantee for any of them but for a winner to completely disappear is bizarre. Hell even Justin got something out of them with his special, web-series and popping up as a judge on some shows.

• Love 2

I'd sooner watch Lenny than Richard Blais :(

I can live with or without Blais. I do think that every time I see him on a new show, he's a little bit better at being on TV than he was the previous time.  He's got a little bit of the Flay in him: A good chef who has some ability to be a decent TV personality, but it's taking a good long time for him to develop that skill.

On the other hand, Lenny has no place on my TV. Period.

• Love 5
(edited)

I was just reading a rundown of the upcoming season highlights and as if it wasnt already obvious FN has completely wiped Lenny from their memory, they're going to have weekly guest judges and the last few winners are part of this except Lenny (Jeff is also hosting Star Salvation). Well Justin isnt mentioned either but he's another one they try to forget exists whenever they can. And most important to note looks like no more viewers votes. Now theres a shocker, eh? I knew they were gonna scrape that after Lenny.

Edited by howmanywords
  • Love 1

The commercial they're running now to promote the coming season really rubs me the wrong way. Giada's dress is cut way far down, so that her assets are on full display. I'm not a prude, but I think there are classier ways to dress than what she chose for this. And, since she and Flay are the only 2 people in the commercial, the rumors about the recent breakup of both their marriages seem more possible.

• Love 3

I am glad to see this back.  The guest judges this year are grim for the most part.  Kathy Lee, Sunny Anderson, James Mauro, Melissa d'Arabian?   Oh god no. I will watch anyway.  sigh

• Love 1
(edited)

Justin also did a commercial for Miracle-Gro, during the period when everyone was wondering where the heck his show was. I saw it; I may have actually seen it multiple times. He was identified in the commercial as "Justin Warner, Food Network's Culinary Rebel". What appears to be a longer version of the commercial (it runs 2 minutes, 13 seconds, so I'm pretty sure that's not what ran on TV) can be found here, in case you never saw it:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0AvcHarl0E

Edited to Add:

From Alton's local (or nearby) newspaper:

Alton Brown Finalizes Divorce

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2015/05/20/report-alton-brown-finalizes-divorce/

Edited by BW Manilowe

Whoa, first Giada, then Bobby, now Alton going the divorce route??

Actually, I heard about Alton's divorce first.  I think he and his wife had been separated and now the divorce is finalized.

I used to enjoy the Food Network Star and watched all the prior seasons, but with Bobby and Giada as hosts without the balance of Alton, I'm crossing it off my list. I cannot stand Bobby and Giada's flirting and her ridiculous cleavage and cartoon smile. I'm a fan of Stephanie March so Bobby's "ass-ness" turns me away from him. Frankly, I can't watch either B or G on tv anymore so that sure limits my FN options.

• Love 1

I thought Lenny deleted his site....and practically everything related to him prior to "winning" Food Network Star.

No, that was his problem. There was so much out there about him on YouTube and on websites that it sank his career before it ever got started.

I went to Food Network and searched for 2014 Season 10 finalists. A link for season 10 came up, and when I clicked on it, it took me to Season 11 - hah! I admit I didn't try very hard, but poor Season 10 contestants, Lenny seems to be scrubbed along with the rest of them.

all the past winners, including Lenny , are on the FN site now.

And most important to note looks like no more viewers votes. Now theres a shocker, eh? I knew they were gonna scrape that after Lenny.

After getting two out of three clunkers from audience voting, I don't blame them for scrapping it. (It's also amazing looking back at the Wiki just how terrible Damaris' co-finalists were. Russell and Rodney were barely able to speak, let alone cook and speak at the same time.)  Also, eliminating the audience vote lets them air the winner's show immediately after FNS ends, rather than 6 months later when no one cares anymore.

• Love 2

After getting two out of three clunkers from audience voting, I don't blame them for scrapping it.

Hell, if I was them I'd try to get away with blaming it, like as if it were real.

• Love 2

Whenver I watch this season, I cannot help but remember Stacey's crying jags. And her appearance on Restaurant Impossible, showing no interest in running her restaurant at all and being there during peak times.

• Love 4