Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network in the Media

• Start Topic

I have caught some of the episodes from Damaris' season today.  I really like Nikki and was surprised that she was not in the finals over Pie Style.  Ugh, he was just bad.

• Love 2

Rodney Pah Style provided some of the very best snark ever on FNS.   As obnoxious as he was at least him staying so long gave us so many laughs. Back on TWOP the laughs were endless. Dude was like a walking parody.

• Love 4
(edited)

Just finished watching the marathon. Damaris definitely was the best. I liked Rodney better, Stacy less, Nikki more. I'm glad Nikki's getting a show but I don't like Mr. Deen. He needs to take smizing lessons from Tyra. In ads for the new season, there's a young man who could be Chad's son. Hair is just the same.

Edited by Lamb18
  • Love 1

I have to laugh at them repeating the marathon episodes late into the night instead of moving ahead with the next Lenny-cursed season. Also, Russell.... don't give FN ideas, they'll run with them and leave you in the dust. "Guilty Pleasures", his show idea, is now a show. Without him.

A former contestant who shall remain nameless told me to NEVER pitch an idea to FN without some type of legal documentation because they steal other people's ideas. ALL the time.

• Love 3

Just finished watching the marathon. Dramatis definitely was the best. I liked Rodney better, Stacy less, Nikki more. I'm glad Nikki's getting a show but I don't like Mr. Deen. He needs to take smizing lessons from Tyra. In ads for the new season, there's a young man who could be Chad's son. Hair is just the same.

The biggest problem I had with Nikki (which was highlighted throughout her season) was her lack of general food knowledge. Not knowing what a rice pilaf is. Not understanding merchandising of her product. She was an internet food blogger and we all know there are a million of them out there. I'm still not sure she has the credibility to lead her own show.

• Love 2

I follow NIkki on social media and am glad to see her being given a chance.  And I love Bobby Deen, so I need to try and catch their new show.  I wonder if it is a part of On Demand for Comcast though, because I do not get Cooking Channel on all of my TV's so I do not really watch it much.

Once you vote, you can see the vote totals. At first I couldn't place who it was who was in first (Christina, at 17%) - then I remembered she's the one who got voted off first! Maybe she's in first because, by getting voted off, she cut short the FN's opportunity to sabotage our perceptions of her. 

• Love 1

Once you vote, you can see the vote totals. At first I couldn't place who it was who was in first (Christina, at 17%) - then I remembered she's the one who got voted off first! Maybe she's in first because, by getting voted off, she cut short the FN's opportunity to sabotage our perceptions of her. 

Ah thank you!  I couldn't place her either and it was driving me crazy.

I was trying to look this up a little bit earlier, specifically looking for where Giada's show was filmed because I was thinking it was out of LA, at least. I didn't come up with anything that said what city she filmed Giada at Home in - but it said that they built a replica of her kitchen at home as a stage set. 

I was trying to look this up a little bit earlier, specifically looking for where Giada's show was filmed because I was thinking it was out of LA, at least. I didn't come up with anything that said what city she filmed Giada at Home in - but it said that they built a replica of her kitchen at home as a stage set. 

That makes sense.  It would be easier and cheaper to build a set than to move all the equipment and people in and out of someone's house for filming.

(edited)

Giada at Home was filmed in Malibu. 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1443927/locations

The set is a recreation of her kitchen, but I believe it is in a house.  See #1 in the article below.

http://www.popsugar.com/food/Giada-De-Laurentiis-Does-Plan-Having-More-Kids-Other-Fun-Facts-11419939

ETA:  got a moment to check into Damaris' show as well.  Filmed in Louisville, KY, in a home kitchen (although not her own).

http://doorstoreandwindows.com/food-networks-newest-show-southern-heart-door-store-windows-connection/

Edited by Aquarius

I feel like I've heard/read that once you've "made it" a little bit, it's common to re-do your own kitchen/buy a house that is more suitable for a set, because all of the reno is tax-deductible as a business expense, aside from being able to work at home. 

I'm pretty sure Jeff's is shot in Chicago, and may even be in his own kitchen.  I know Melissa's was done on a set in NY and I think Aarti's was too.  Not sure why Jeff and Damaris got the hometown treatment.

Im pretty sure Jeff's first season was done in NY with a standard set..then by the 2nd season he was allowed to use his own kitchen in his Chicago home. I know I remember thinking it was a major upgrade. IIRC his kitchen was even nicer than his 1st set. One reason why Jeff was allowed to do that may have been because part of the show premise was him visiting different Chicago eateries then recreating some of their dishes.

howmanywords, I think you're right about Jeff's show but I can't find any corroboration.

And Guy's Big Bite 2.0 where he grilled - I think it had a new name but I can't remember and can't find it on the FN site - that was moved to his pretty freaking awesome outside home kitchen. 

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, but it's new to me so...

There's a "We want Chef Lenny on Food Network!" Facebook page.  Which has logged a whopping...495 likes.

So much for "America voted for Lenny!!!!111"  Unless the population of "America" has shrunk considerably since I last checked...

That is a really good article. Just cements for me that his cooking chips are the real deal. He's well-trained. If he can get past his camera fright I could see him on FN in the future.

A nice write-up on Dom from the Institute of Culinary education:

http://blog.ice.edu/2015/08/17/from-food-trucker-to-food-network-star-ice-alum-dom-tesoriero/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=blog&utm_content=Alumni&utm_term=Food_Network_Star_Dom_Tesoriero

He actually filmed a pilot that never aired and won on "Rewrapped" before being asked to do "Food Network Star".

So Dom was asked to be on NFNS? Did nobody notice that he went into panic mode when the camera light turned on?

Might be why they were so invested in keeping him around until the end. It would suck for them to have to admit that the chosen one was not good on camera. When there are thousands who apply, who ARE good on camera. Google Christopher Hill or look at some of his videos on YouTube. He's been doing food presentations on morning news shows for years, has applied repeatedly, and never gets the call.

As much as I liked Dom, I think he got on the show because of his connections with Bobby.  I still think Bobby must have found him at the Saratoga track, where Dom takes his food truck every summer.  When there are so many deserving candidates, it often comes down to "who you know".  Then again I often wonder at the reasoning behind the choice of contestants on this show.  I think a lot of them are "filler" in that the network knows in advance that it has no intentions of considering them for the win.  There are probably only a small handful that are "real" contestants, if that.  On seasons when they pick the winner they could very easily know in advance who they will choose.