Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network in the Media

• Start Topic

I interpret that as meaning final say over who is declared the winner. Whether the stated prize is actually awarded or not should be a different matter. I presume that the people on Jeopardy really get the money they win. Why should a show like this be any different.

Even if Food Network has fine print in the contract that protects them from a lawsuit (or FCC investigation), they are still lying to the audience. And apparently to the people who compete as well.

• Love 1

Look at Justin, as an example. He didn't want to play ball with them on their terms. He got one show and that was it. If Lenny doesn't toe the line he won't get a series of shows either. And we're all waiting with baited breath (well, I am, LOL) to see how the online antics effect his tenure on the network.

I don't know if you watch Hell's Kitchen, but there was an incident last season with the winner testing positive for cocaine. She reportedly didn't get the job, but DID get to keep the $250,000. When there's money involved, I think they do have to honor the contract, but if it's a job somewhere and the person winning breaks the rules, they are not guaranteed the job.

But I'm really just speculating since I don't know what any of their contracts with Food Network have to say about what they do and do not receive.

A contract is generally written to benefit the party that holds all the cards.  With the FNS contract, I imagine it outlines what the contestants owe FN, but there won't be much that the contract would say FN owes the contestants.  As far as how the winner is chosen, I don't think that would even be in the contract per se, because fairness in competition if I understand it correctly (the whole game show thing) is what a "game show" would owe its audience, not the contestants.  Which is why so many of these reality show competitions have fine print at the end saying that the producers have final say, so even if they say "you get to choose America" what they really mean is "you get to choose America - but the producers really have the final say"  As far as the actual prize, that may be outlined in the contract (I would think as consideration) but I would think anyone writing that contract (which I'm assuming is written by FN, and not really subject to negotiation) would give FNS the wiggle room to change the prizes as they see fit, or as necessary.  Or even better, they write it as "the opportunity to have a show on Food Network...." and if that doesn't work out maybe a small stipend in its place.  In the case of Hells Kitchen, I would bet it was worth it to Fox or whomever to pay her $25,000 because thats probably around the amount they would have had to spend in litigation or arbitration anyways.

Not to get too off-topic about another show, but in Ja'nel's case, she won the prize, i.e., the game show portion of HK. The actual job she was offered boiled down to her passing a drug test and being employed by the general manager of whoever runs Gordon's restaurant.

In Lenny's case, it's pretty much how you outlined it @RealityGal. He's being offered an opportunity, not necessarily a real job. In order to get his show on the air, he has to do what they tell him to do. I do know for a fact that ALL the contestants on this show sign a contract that is definitely in FN's favor. One portion says that if they discuss anything that happened on the show that was not aired, they are penalized 7 figures and believe me, that would make me keep my mouth shut tight.

We may never know whether or not America's vote actually counts. Most people who vote in online reality polls believe they are voting for an eventual winner. I've got a couple of friends who are convinced it's all legit, and hopefully it is.

• Love 1

We may never know whether or not America's vote actually counts. Most people who vote in online reality polls believe they are voting for an eventual winner. I've got a couple of friends who are convinced it's all legit, and hopefully it is.

I think the online voting does count, if for no other reason than it gives FN an idea of where to go.  I think unless they really, really want another person to win, they would probably honor the online voting if they could.  I mean why even have a show like that unless the fans of the show have some investment in the show.  If the fans aren't invested in the show because they think their voting doesn't count some will simply decide not to watch/vote/visit the FN web page to vote.  But I do think that FNS does reserve the right to wiggle out if its online voting results in something they really, really, really don't want.

Ok, I have a great idea. FN tells Lenny you have to do the following for a show: lose the cowboy fake thing, no accent, no aw shucks thing, no neckerchief, no gigantic belt buckle, no boots, no hat, no rope, and by the way... never ever take off any clothes on camera - ever again. Then Lenny says no and goes away.

It could happen...

• Love 1

I have always doubted if the popular vote counts.  In fact, for a few years, we did not even get to vote.  I know we did in Amy Finley's year, but I think they dropped it for a few seasons before bringing it back.

• Love 2

I think the online voting does count, if for no other reason than it gives FN an idea of where to go.  I think unless they really, really want another person to win, they would probably honor the online voting if they could.  I mean why even have a show like that unless the fans of the show have some investment in the show.  If the fans aren't invested in the show because they think their voting doesn't count some will simply decide not to watch/vote/visit the FN web page to vote.  But I do think that FNS does reserve the right to wiggle out if its online voting results in something they really, really, really don't want.

This is a completely different kind of show on a different network, but read the Gossip Cop article about the Teen Choice Awards being rigged. They had people voting on their web site for at least 6 days after the show decided on who would be the winner. The fans thought their votes counted, but they didn't. The fans only have to think they have some influence on who wins, but that doesn't mean they actually do. Every click on the FN site makes them advertising money, so having people going there to vote is what they want.

• Love 6

I don't think this thing is decided on the vote. If it was, I think there would be tighter control over the vote (no 10 votes a day bullshit), and the vote would be audited. I think they probably factor it in, but that's about it

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 2

I agree but I often wonder why some of the people who do so well in the online voting before the finale ("fan favorites") don't get special consideration as well.  I realize they film the show before they know who the favorites are but it seems like some of the candidates who were favorites or semi-favorites would be great on a show but fade away nonetheless.  Kelsey, Jeffrey Saad, Adam Gertler and Tom Pizzica are exceptions as well as, but it hasn't happened in a few seasons.  I would have thought Marti would have been given a show by now.   Instead they teased the audience with her on "Star Salvation" and sent her home - again.

I also think they know the voting is anything but accurate and probably go by their "focus group" opinions more than the vote.  It's just that the focus groups usually can predict who the public will choose from the final three.  Personally I found it hard to swallow that Reuben was so far ahead in the fan vote before the finale.  Dude must have a lot of online friends and promoters in order to get that high vote unless I'm totally misjudging the audience.  He was heads and tails above anyone else even after he was eliminated.

I have always doubted if the popular vote counts.  In fact, for a few years, we did not even get to vote.  I know we did in Amy Finley's year, but I think they dropped it for a few seasons before bringing it back.

If I recall correctly, they eliminated the fan vote after the JAG affair and reinstated it the year of Justin.  I'll have to go check on that.  After the Lenny thing, perhaps they'll eliminate it again!

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 1

I would have thought Marti would have been given a show by now

She should have been. But at this point, she's fed up with FN and I don't blame her. I'm one of her biggest supporters and I'm hoping that another network will recognize her talents and do something with her.

• Love 1
Personally I found it hard to swallow that Reuben was so far ahead in the fan vote before the finale.

I suspect that was the same situation as it was with Martita in Justin Warner's season.  She was the very attractive Hispanic woman whom Giada kept calling "fiery."  Like Reuben, she was WAY ahead in the poll until she was eliminated.  Someone on a FN blog said she lived in the same area which has a huge Hispanic population and Martita had posters up all over and was making all the local radio and TV shows asking people to vote for her.  She (the person commenting) said she knew of many, many people who were faithfully voting for Martita 10X each day.  That'd do it.

As I said once before, I really wish FN would remove people from the poll as they're eliminated and re-order the rest by proportion of votes received.

I really don't hate Justin but I do think he deserves to be in "diehipster.com" and his douchy-ness is undeniable.  Plus after all the rumors about him over why he never got a series (only a special) I wonder if he isn't really the epitome of the trust fund baby/arrogant "kidult" that native New Yorkers (like me) dislike with a passion.

• Love 1

There is probably nothing to read into this, but when you go to the web site for the New York Food and Wine Festival in October and click on FN personalities that will be there, Lenny is not mentioned. Both Damaris and Justin are. It could be that the sponsor, Food & Wine magazine, just hasn't bothered to update the web site, or ?????.

Edited by chessiegal

Interesting.....On the "Chef Lenny Fan Club" Facebook page, which is run by his brother Rob and a friend, Rob posted on August 14 that Lenny would DEFINITELY be at the NY Food and Wine Festival, plus he posted a letter from someone he contacted at the festival who said he would be participating in the "Grand Tasting" on October 18th with Damaris Phillips, although she did caution the following:  "Please note that while the demo schedule is published to the public, it is still subject to change, so I would check back on the website occasionally to make sure nothing has changed."

Well, when he did check back on the itinerary for the event on or before the 19th, he noticed that Food Network Star and Damaris was no longer on the schedule for the tasting event, so he was telling adoring fans not to make their reservations to go there "just yet", and that he would check back with the woman and give an update when he heard from her.  Then the next day when someone asked him if he had heard anything yet, he said, "Sorry no updates yet. Haven't heard back from the NYCWFF yet. But I would NOT make plans to visit just yet. There are no refunds for tickets. With or without Lenny, I'm still going to go (otherwise I would be throwing money out the window)."  He hasn't posted since on this subject, although he did say he was going to visit Lenny next weekend....Hmmmmmmmm......

Why is Lenny's brother e-mailing with Food Network people about this event? Can't Lenny actually get information himself and pass it on to inform his fan club oh so eager for information?

He is probably roaming the range and doesn't have WIFI access :)

• Love 4

The Grand Tasting event is SO much fun but youre on your feet a lot walking around. I went a couple of years ago and it was worth every penny.  You get to mingle with FN/Cooking Channel stars, sip some great drinks and taste some awesome food.  Last year I went to some of the smaller (and cheaper events) and I kept wishing I splurged on that again.  Still not sure if I'm going this year.  What a trip that will be if Lenny isnt there.  Hell even Justin was there the year he won.

I'm holding my breath over at Lenny's Facebook Fan page, run by an old friend and his brother.  They both announced that they were going to visit Lenny over the weekend, and since then the crickets have been chirping over at the page - No new posts or updates by them when up until that point they were posting every day.  Not sure what that means, if anything.  I guess we'll find out!

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 2

I saw his FB page under duress (somehow, people think that showing me FB pictures of people I make fun of will entice me to join FB) and noticed his picture of him in "cowboy" pose and wearing a "Black Mamba" jacket.

Dear Leonard: You want to play cowboy, that's OK.  But for the love of all that is creamed and corn, would you please read even a picture book about real cowboy territory? There ain't no mambas there, pardner. Mambas = Africa. Rattlesnakes = desert. Make flashcards if you have to. Unless your posse is traipsing through South Africa, they're not concerned with mambas. Sidewinders and diamondbacks, bud. You like mambas, that's A-OK. They're freakin' fascinating creatures. But cowboys and mambas together make no. damn. sense. And I'm normally not one driven to distraction by sloppy inconsistencies, but this one drives me insane.

Just reason number two trillion and six (and counting) that I'm hoping you just go.away. (And reason number six billion and two and counting that I won't join FB)

/amateur (and admittedly obnoxious) herpetologist

Edited by potatoradio
  • Love 7

Isn't "Black Mamba" Lenny's singing alter-ego?  Maybe more like a lounge performer than a cowboy?  Then there's Chuckwagon, his online alter-ego, who spews foul-mouthed filth that would make George Carlin cringe, and has no down-home respectable cowboy ways to be seen.  Maybe someone needs to check this douchebag for dissociative disorder, among other things.

• Love 2

Isn't "Black Mamba" Lenny's singing alter-ego?

Oh! I didn't realize that. I don't prowl around a lot in social media, so I didn't realize he had a singing alter ego. Thanks -- I'll get off my snake soapbox then. Although, I still think he'd have a more unified image if his alter egos kept the cowboy theme. He really seems all over the freakin' place.

• Love 2

Lenny: I do not think we should be surprised that people will defend Lenny. After all, this is a country where Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, all those red-neck reality shows are doing quite well. What is a little use of the c-word or wanting to have unnatural sex with Ree Drummond among these folks? Pffffft

• Love 1

Lenny: I do not think we should be surprised that people will defend Lenny. After all, this is a country where Howard Stern, Rush Limbaugh, all those red-neck reality shows are doing quite well. What is a little use of the c-word or wanting to have unnatural sex with Ree Drummond among these folks? Pffffft

Yeah I was defending his food. Not his behavior....because honestly this seasons cooks were not impressive and he was on that scale the least un impressive FOOD WISE. That's not necessarily a complement as much as it is a dis to food network.

Edited by Evanscody
  • Love 1

Speaking of Lenny's Facebook page, his admins posted this pic. Given his orgasmic videos about food, and his revealed perviness, this image makes me want to vomit: http://tinypic.com/r/ilm3qx/

But why?!??  I mean, listen, I'm no PETA member, but I just don't see what the point is of taking a picture with a roasted pig head.  Its not particularly funny, I just don't get the point of the picture.

Ouch, that photo!  I agree, RealityGal, it's in poor taste especially because he's smiling like it's his prized trophy.  And I love pork!

Speaking of the Facebook page, I saw Lenny's brother announce on a fan page that Lenny is going to start filming his show soon.  So I guess all the filthy language and weirdo videos aren't stopping FN from attempting to cash in on their potential cash cow.

I also noticed that his brother says Lenny won't be at the NY Food and Wine Festival as previously planned due to a prior commitment at Kessler Canyon.  I think that's strange.  I don't see how the ranch could take precedence over being at the festival at this point.  What could be so important on those specific dates that he couldn't get out of, especially after he already said he would do the festival?

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 1

Every single thing about Lenny since his win is strange. Supposedly he's not even filming his show until the winter which seems like a long way off.  Then his brother has been selling all these things of Lenny's on Ebay and unless I'm not understanding him correctly he said the proceeds are going to their mother?  He says this about the stuff:  "100% of all funds go to an awesome cause - the most amazing mom in the world! "  Lennys friend Chris who also runs the FB page is trying to win one of these  collections up for auction so HE can use the stuff as prizes for a contest hes going to run. Um WTF? Arent they pretty much pandering to the same fans?

Not being at NYFW because of a prior commitment is a first for the new FNS winner..then this:

Why is Lenny's brother doing all of the social media and PR?  Why not FN or Lenny himself?  Did I miss something in other discussions?  Thanks.

Excellent question.  Lenny has ZERO, zilch communication with fans. He's not active on Facebook and he hasnt tweeted since the week he won.  The only line of communication or updates is through his brother. Its all REALLY weird.

From what I could gather from reading the fan page, it looks like Lenny's friend at least knows the brother.  I forgot what Lenny's mother has but I think it's breast cancer, which I presume is the explanation for the auctions on her behalf.  Although everything about Lenny right now makes no sense at all.  His brother says Lenny was going to ask FN if he could put off going to the Food and Wine Festival until next year!  WTF?  And even his mother posted on that fan page 3 days ago that she expected Lenny to be back on Facebook by now!

Lenny's brother posted this to the fan page on Sept. 1st:

Just a little tease of things to come. Later this week I will set up an eBay site for ~100 personally-signed Chef Lenny items and memorabilia. 100% of all funds raised will go to support our amazing mom who is battling breast cancer. Lots of silly items, but also some wonderful items from Lenny's kitchen and home - as well as a few pieces from the Black Mamba. More to come.

I feel better knowing the proceeds are going to something meaningful, but that still doesnt explain why Lenny cant be bothered with social media since winning.  Not exactly a great message to send to his fans IMO.  I can understand if he got a major wrist slapping from FN execs regarding his past comments but complete silence and having to have his brother speak for him wont exactly help with any good will.

It just makes Lenny look even more suspect, if that's possible. Snarklepuss, thank you for the information, I don't follow his fan page. I was going solely on what I read in the auction descriptions when I looked them up. I'd think he would mention that so that more people might want to bid.

• Love 1