Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: False Horizon

ottoDbusdriver
  • Start Topic

Episode Description:

The Stone family struggles to unlock their mysterious wave of frightening 828 callings, while the person who may be key to solving them is behind bars; A shocking and disturbing incident leads Grace to suspect a local mom is in danger.

Better writing with regards to characters acting in-character, like Saanvi the Genius Researcher actually being smarter than anyone, and Ben the Mathematician with No Common Sense screwing up again.

But what's up with Olive's cult? They seem okay to me. Am I missing or forgetting something?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I am just generally annoyed with the tv trope of the texting ticking sound. Good grief people, everyone turns it off. Or their kids do it for them. Why does the genius doctor not do it?

Ben is an idiot in so many ways, crumpling like wet cardboard and blowing Vance’s cover. 

Edited by kb3
  • Love 7

Of course, Manifest needs to ride the coattails of 'Game of Thrones' by introducing dragon callings.  Correction, gargoyle callings.  Whatever.

How come Michaela didn't get a callingquake with Zeke ?  No real shakiness at all.

Was it ever determined if Erica was actually on Flight 828 ?  If not, then that means they are just helping regular people.  
Which would basically turn this show into the Littlest Hobo, going town to town helping people.

Saanvi is all hurt that she was left out of the loop -- umm, she doesn't exactly tell Ben "everything" either, so she should get over herself.

Security at that special prison was TERRIBLE.  Come on, none of the doors were locked.
Zeke sure did put onto that court docket REALLY REALLY FAST.

Erica: "Stay away.  Stay away from my family. Your son is an abomination."
Grace: "Oh I get it. I get it now. I was supposed to open your eyes because you are a frightened, small-minded woman who's afraid things she doesn't understand."
Erica: "I hope you lose that baby."

Ouch !  That seems a little on the mean side.

It would be oh so more helpful if the callings weren't so fucking vague.  Or accompanied by gargoyles.

The gargoyle is on the university building, so what the hell does that mean ?

Are the professor and Erica working for The Major ?  Someone else ?
This show is so frustrating sometimes.

Isn't Jared basically screwed since Michaela admitted that Jared lied on his police report about Michaela's shooting ?

'The Major' -- not a really good cover name.

• Love 6

For once, I actually liked Grace as she did the investigation.   Now, she knows first-hand how frick'in frustrating the Callings are.  I guess Ben's teaching her the ropes for how to be a stalker and scare people off.  

So were the Gargoyles actually protecting Ben in the university building?  That still doesn't explain why Grace was asked to "open her eyes".   So the prof and his wife the pregnant lady are 828 haters?  Why is it such a diabolical plan to hire Ben to be a lecturer?  

I guess they dropped the passenger nutcase of the week format after two episodes.  

I felt badly for Ben when the students in that lecture hall were trying to derail his lesson.  The costume department decided to go full out on the "math professors look super nerdy" stereotype.  

I was banging my head against the DNA sequencer when Ben told Saanvi about the mole in her office which could be bugged.  I was banging my head even more when Saanvi got all mad.  At least she figured out who the mole was and set up the trap.  It would have been fun to see her actually do that over an episode, instead of finding out as a "twist".  

I don't like the Olive/believer church stuff.  I guess she really identifies with that other girl because her parents don't "get" her either.

Finally, Zeke is out and free, but it was ridiculous how easily Michaela did it.  One wonders about the point of the whole subplot just to get him out again.  I officially despise Jared now.

1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

'The Major' -- not a really good cover name.

LOL.  It's so not.  I hope we get to watch her downfall and it's satisfying.

• Love 5

I am guessing Olive being shunted off to the side is a long-time family dynamic; I'm sure this happened to her a lot while Cal was undergoing chemo so I find this plotline realistic.  

I'm glad they figured out that the psychiatrist is the Major.

I think the gargoyle was supposed to indicate the woman was connected to the university.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, mertensia said:

I think the gargoyle was supposed to indicate the woman was connected to the university.

One of the Stones said the gargoyle is supposed to protect from evil, and then at the university where the husband works, we see gargoyles on the building. So how does this tie in with "open her eyes"? I am assuming "open her eyes" means to cause her to see that the 828ers are not evil, but I can't figure out the rest. 

• Love 3

Olive's new hair is cute. 

I don't get the point of the cult; is the return of the passengers being referenced as a kind of resurrection, thus 'hope'? And if so, why would it have any appeal for Olive, who knows how stressful and unpleasant the lives of the passengers really are? Also, doesn't she have any friends, why does she want to hang with a bunch of weird adults?

Those cartoon gargoyles are ridiculous.

• Love 8

This episode kind of dragged for me.  And given all the harassment she sees, why does Olive assume this cult is benign? I fast forward through, I just don't see it ending well and don't want to watch the train wreck.

• Love 4
49 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

On a side note, where have all the viewers gone?

If they are like me, they are wondering if this is going to turn into another 'Lost' with no real answers after a big set up

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, mertensia said:

I'm starting to think that the gargoyles are in charge of the callings, and are also responsible for making the plane disappear for 5 and a half years.  #sarcasm

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, jabRI said:

This episode kind of dragged for me.  And given all the harassment she sees, why does Olive assume this cult is benign? I fast forward through, I just don't see it ending well and don't want to watch the train wreck.

People on TV always assume cults are benign. I assume they do in real life too, and that is how you get sucked in, but I've never actually met anyone in a cult. But young people getting sucked in by thinking the people are good is pretty standard.

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Jared is all but hurt and is looking to join the dark side.  What an asshole.  Dumps his pregnant wife (Lourdes) just so he can be with Michaela, and Michaela dumps his sorry ass and he can't handle it?

Was Lourdes actually pregnant or were they just trying? If she was actually pregnant Jared should at least be a father. 

I didn't get Jared's comment to Michaela at the end about how he wasn't the only one that blew up his life? Was that supposed to suggest Michaela is going to be in trouble at work for telling the truth? That seems odd. Jared is definitely screwed from her testimony though. I don't totally blame him for hating her, but am not sure what his purpose on the show is anymore.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Was Lourdes actually pregnant or were they just trying? If she was actually pregnant Jared should at least be a father. 

I think they were just going to start trying (because they were waiting until she finished her degree, which she had just done).

11 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Jared is all but hurt and is looking to join the dark side.

That's certainly how it appeared, but it might turn out that he's just faking to be on the side of the anti-828ers. Then he could be an 828 hero --dead or alive.

Edited by shapeshifter

Jared is such a dick, I cant even with him. How exactly did Michaela blow up her life? By telling the truth and getting an innocent man out of jail? Is he the kind of cop who doesn't really care about who is guilty or innocent, and just wants to stick people in jail? Or is it just people that he is in an awkward kind of love triangle situation with? Either way, it doesn't make him look very good. 

Oh Olive, dont tell these people who your family is, even though you know they totally knew anyway! Yeah they dont seem bad now, but you know that this all ends in a Kool-Aid kegger. Of course, it seems like Olive has basically no one to talk to, as her family are all treating her like the one weirdo NOT in their calling club, despite her telling Grace how scared she was just last episode, so its kind of hard to blame her for making stupid choices. 

Ben trying to teach the class while students kept asking him dumb flight questions was hard to watch, it was so uncomfortable, glad that TJ showed up to be supportive and get the class back on track. Only now it turns out to be a trap! The math department has been infiltrated by evil! This conspiracy truly knows no end!

Speaking of, could The Major maybe have found a slightly better code name than her actual job title? Its like a killer going around calling himself The Surgeon General, and when he is revealed...he is the actual Surgeon General. 

You know if the callings want to get people to do stuff, maybe they should be a bit more specific? Also, holy shit yoga lady that escalated quickly. "Can you not call my son an abomination?" "I HOPE YOUR BABY DIES!"

Thank God Saanvi is not only now in on the plan, but did her own investigation and figured out everything on her own! Finally!  

• Love 7

The callings that Grace had ia coming from the baby right? Is the baby telling Grace to open her own eyes to a possible evil plot going on with the Ben's colleague?? 

Im glad Sanvii figured out that her therapist must be the leak!

Still confused on what Zeke and Michaela are called to do together. For some reason I keep getting the feeling that things are what they seem with Zeke...

• Love 2

Unlike most of you, I prefer/preferred Michaela with Jared over Zeke.  Upon her initial return I liked the twosome, accepted their one time bond, and wanted them to reunite after an appropriate amount of struggle....which was shown in the first few episodes of last season.  However, I realize the writers chose to go in that SAME direction with Ben and Grace so they put the brakes on, introduced Zeke into the mix, and are heading toward a romantic relationship between M and Z.  I agree, it’s probably been determined (by the Calling power) for the two of them to procreate and that their offspring will save the day in one way or another.  *eyeroll of all eye rolls*

Edited by tinderbox
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, tinderbox said:

Unlike most of you, I prefer/preferred Michaela with Jared over Zeke.  Upon her initial return I liked the twosome, accepted their one time bond, and wanted them to reunite after an appropriate amount of struggle....which was shown in the first few episodes of last season.  However, I realize the writers chose to go in that SAME direction with Ben and Grace so they put the brakes on, introduced Zeke into the mix, and are heading toward a romantic relationship between M and Z.  I agree, it’s probably been determined (by the Calling power) for the two of them to procreate and that their offspring will save the day in one way or another.  *eyeroll of all eye rolls*

I was thinking they brought Zeke in because audience polls told them that nobody liked the story arc of Michaela’s fiancé marrying her best friend only because she was presumed dead. 
Anyway, yes. Lots of eye rolling.  🙄 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1