Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Breaking Point

• Start Topic

Amy and Tammy eagerly begin their weight loss journey.   Sticking to their diets is a matter of life or death but proves to be a real struggle.  The pressure to reach their goals culminates in a huge fight that threatens their diets and relationship. 

Unfortunately this will be the 1,000 pound sisters breaking point, not the Patrick Swayze/Keanu Reeves classic Point Break.  As we go into yet another week of Amy and Tammy attempting to be amusing through their (off putting and childish) antics, let's remember these great words from Point Break: 

Fuck the stakes Bodhi! The only one that thinks that this is a game is you, man. This is real. This is serious shit, and I am scared.

Original air date 2020.01.15

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

In a weird way, I was happy to see Tammy really show her true colors, not hiding it behind "humor".  She is unwilling to try anything that can help her.  I understand she's afraid of failing, but t not try at all guarantees she will fail.  Amy really has sacrificed for her.  Amy is a smaller, younger version of Tammy who has been harmed by caring for her manipulative sister.  I am not saying Amy is a good person.  She is a self-proclaimed martyr in a horribly dysfunctional relationship.  They are both adults who are responsible for their own decisions and actions.  The best thing for Amy would be to separate from Tammy.  Tammy needs to deal with her own demons.  

• Love 15

I tried to hate-watch this but it was too boring.

It's not really about their weight loss anyway. The show is merely a vehicle to make them "happen" as stars but it ain't happening for me. It's almost insulting to viewers at this point.

I fast forwarded so much I was done in 5 minutes.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I don't care for the verbal banter between them or the protracted scenes of them living day to day, because, it doesn't seem to really be about them trying to get the weight down, so they can get the surgery.  It's more of them trying to be funny or fill up tv time. I find most of it fake. 

With all their emotional baggage, they should be in some intensive counseling. Plus, I'm not sure why they both would not benefit from professional physical therapy.  And, nutritional classes where they are accompanied to the grocery store, provided with food scales, Apps for calorie content, etc. 

I suppose that Amy's job is to provide care for her sister, but, it might be healthier to get Tammy the help she qualifies for through proper agencies and seek job training or work outside of the house for herself. They claim their job is making You tube videos, but, that could be done a few minutes after she gets off work.  I have no idea how much they make.  But, I would explore dental care as well.  Poor dental hygiene can cause some pretty serious health issues, especially, those who are planning on surgery. 

It doesn't seem like a healthy dynamic in the home.  I'd explore Assisted Living for Tammy and give her notice to move out, for her own good.  Other professionals might be able to get her motivated. 

So, there lots of other people who are involved in this weight loss journey with these sisters, such as the medical team and TLC producers, yet this is the best they can come up with?  Pathetic. I could manage something better and I'm not a trained professional in these matters. 

• Love 13
32 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't care for the verbal banter between them or the protracted scenes of them living day to day, because, it doesn't seem to really be about them trying to get the weight down, so they can get the surgery.  It's more of them trying to be funny or fill up tv time. I find most of it fake. 

With all their emotional baggage, they should be in some intensive counseling. Plus, I'm not sure why they both would not benefit from professional physical therapy.  And, nutritional classes where they are accompanied to the grocery store, provided with food scales, Apps for calorie content, etc. 

I suppose that Amy's job is to provide care for her sister, but, it might be healthier to get Tammy the help she qualifies for through proper agencies and seek job training or work outside of the house for herself. They claim their job is making You tube videos, but, that could be done a few minutes after she gets off work.  I have no idea how much they make.  But, I would explore dental care as well.  Poor dental hygiene can cause some pretty serious health issues, especially, those who are planning on surgery. 

It doesn't seem like a healthy dynamic in the home.  I'd explore Assisted Living for Tammy and give her notice to move out, for her own good.  Other professionals might be able to get her motivated. 

So, there lots of other people who are involved in this weight loss journey with these sisters, such as the medical team and TLC producers, yet this is the best they can come up with?  Pathetic. I could manage something better and I'm not a trained professional in these matters. 

ITA that they should have had someone go grocery shopping with them.  There was an A&E weight loss show that did that, i think it was called "Heavy.". The nutritionist also went into the home IIRC.

I really didn't like the dietician.  

I actually think they should have had someone shadow them for a day to see exactly how they are eating and what their habits are.  The dietician had just asked them some inane question like "what do you like to eat?" and then they verbally spewed a list of foods at her.  But that doesn't day how much they are eating, when they are eating it, etc, etc.  

I noticed that many people on 600 pound life, etc have poor dentation and it kinda makes sense.  It's gotta be hard to fit in a chair and it's also probably dangerous to put someone that size under anesthesia.  I don't know if a person's body weight would affect how their process local anesthetics but if it does....yikes!  

I'm in the process of getting an implant and I think we did nitrous oxide.  I wouldn't have done the procedure without it.  

• Useful 1

This team does not have enough going for it to warrant their own "series".  They are interesting enough for maybe a two-parter episode on My 600 Lb. Life, as the Assanti brothers did.  I predict they will have equal success as the Assanti's. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, suzeecat said:

This team does not have enough going for it to warrant their own "series".  They are interesting enough for maybe a two-parter episode on My 600 Lb. Life, as the Assanti brothers did.  I predict they will have equal success as the Assanti's. 

I agree. I got half way through this episode and I gave up. I just can't with these two. At least with Family by the Ton (where Dr. Procter was helpful) most of the participants were root worthy and didn't make fools of themselves 24/7.  

• Love 5

I do not mean this to be a snarky question but are Tammy's arms shorter that normal? I have noticed when she gets angry and starts flailing them around they do not go above her head.

2 minutes ago, JunkFoodTV said:

Also can we please get a countdown on disgusting commercials....something icky in 10...9...8...😝

Well the show is as little ickey so....

• LOL 3
27 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I do not mean this to be a snarky question but are Tammy's arms shorter that normal? I have noticed when she gets angry and starts flailing them around they do not go above her head.

Well the show is as little ickey so....

Agree! The show is gross. But I don't  (cannot) watch the feet show or dr. Pimple popper. And would rather not see any part of it...ever...in my life. So a little warning would be nice. 😊

• Love 5

Anyone else notice that Tammy's voice in her solo segments is all sweet and breathy (and higher pitched), minus the attitude and thick accent, but then when she talks to her sister and Michael, it's a totally different voice - lower, louder, sassier, more throaty, with a much more pronounced Appalachian accent? Now that I've noticed it, I can't stop noticing it. It's like two different people talking. 

Edited by GoGamecox
  • Useful 2
  • Love 10

I can't believe the hotel had no way to access the pool other than by using stairs. That is not ADA compliant. They appeared to have that automatic chair that can be used to enter the water without walking in, so why the lack of access to the pool area? That's not ok. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, GoGamecox said:

Anyone else notice that Tammy's voice in her solo segments is all sweet and breathy (and higher pitched), minus the attitude and thick accent, but then when she talks to her sister and Michael, it's a totally different voice - lower, louder, sassier, more throaty, with a much more pronounced Appalachian accent? Now that I've noticed it, I can't stop noticing it. It's like two different people talking. 

That's her phone "sex line worker" voice. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I wonder if there was an accessible way to get to the pool chair lift, and they didn't show it for added drama of one sister not being able to go in the pool?     I wouldn't put a stunt like that past the production company.   I can't believe that a place with a pool chair lift won't have a way for people to get to it. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Yeah, I don't think Tammy had any interest in going into that pool at all. I think it was an easy out to say it wasn't accessible. I'm sure it was. 

9 hours ago, SDVegas said:

I can't believe the hotel had no way to access the pool other than by using stairs. That is not ADA compliant. They appeared to have that automatic chair that can be used to enter the water without walking in, so why the lack of access to the pool area? That's not ok. 

I agree that there was probably a way, but she'd rather pout.

Also, I took one for the team, and watched the supersized (but aren't they all) episode.
They did a video call with the nutritionist who told Tammy that mozzarella sticks aren't a good substitute for fries.
Then they went for meal at a favorite restaurant, and did really lowball guesses at how many calories their meals had.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, auntjess said:

I agree that there was probably a way, but she'd rather pout.

Also, I took one for the team, and watched the supersized (but aren't they all) episode.
They did a video call with the nutritionist who told Tammy that mozzarella sticks aren't a good substitute for fries.
Then they went for meal at a favorite restaurant, and did really lowball guesses at how many calories their meals had.

LOL, just wait until their state catches up with California and calorie counts are required on the menu.  

I was shook when I found out just how many more calories a CPK salad had than a CPK pizza.  

ETA: 

1. What the hell restaurant is this where you can sub mozzarella sticks for fries????

2. Mozzarella sticks have dairy, which has calcium, which an active adult woman like Tammy needs so I call shenanigans. 

3.  What if these mozzarella sticks were paired with the awesome calorie erasing power of a diet sodie?  Asking for a friend. 

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 11
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I wonder if there was an accessible way to get to the pool chair lift, and they didn't show it for added drama of one sister not being able to go in the pool?     I wouldn't put a stunt like that past the production company.  

I agree.  I remember Chitoka on Family by the Ton climbing stairs to a building going to see a doctor about skin removal.  We all commented that there had to be a ramp or some other entrance the producers weren’t showing us.

• Love 7

Well, at this point both the pool and the spa had stairs Tami couldn't manuever.   I wonder if these places are "grandfather'd" in under the old laws or if they just figure there is little risk of a lawsuit.  

I think Tami could have done those stairs.  She said her knee is unstable, but there were handrails right there if her knee buckled.  

I also think that Tami would have dreamed up an excuse not to workout even  if she had gotten in the pool.  

I really liked Amy's trainer, she was sweet and I think she had the right attitude.  The dietician could take lessons.  

I just had to LOL at tami's biggest fear being that Amy and Michael would slip out for fatty food and abandon her at home with healthy food.  

I wish they could have donated that food.  It's junk, but I HATE food waste.  

What a classic codependency.  Amy gets to be skinny sister and poke at Tami and Tami has Amy to scapegoat for everything bad in her life.  

I do feel bad for Tami though.  While my car was at the shop today I walked about a mile to the local shopping center and a mile back.  How terrible to lose all the options mobility allows.  

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, RealReality said:

THIS!!! I was thinking the same thing. It may have been not the greatest, but someone or some organization could have used that. 🙁

• Love 2

I don't think there is any way that a pool with a chair lift at pool side doesn't have a way without stairs to get to the pool, and lift.    I think it was all shenanigans. 

If either sister actually qualifies for weight loss surgery, especially the bigger on (it's not like I can remember which sister is which), then I'll faint.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
On 1/18/2020 at 8:18 PM, RealReality said:

Well, at this point both the pool and the spa had stairs Tami couldn't manuever.   I wonder if these places are "grandfather'd" in under the old laws or if they just figure there is little risk of a lawsuit.  

I think Tami could have done those stairs.  She said her knee is unstable, but there were handrails right there if her knee buckled.  

I also think that Tami would have dreamed up an excuse not to workout even  if she had gotten in the pool.  

I really liked Amy's trainer, she was sweet and I think she had the right attitude.  The dietician could take lessons.  

I just had to LOL at tami's biggest fear being that Amy and Michael would slip out for fatty food and abandon her at home with healthy food.  

What a classic codependency.  Amy gets to be skinny sister and poke at Tami and Tami has Amy to scapegoat for everything bad in her life.  

I do feel bad for Tami though.  While my car was at the shop today I walked about a mile to the local shopping center and a mile back.  How terrible to lose all the options mobility allows.  

Yes, the food waste made me ill. Sicker than all the belching and farting. Also, is Michael trying to play the simple card, or....

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Bugfrey Von said:

Also, is Michael trying to play the simple card, or...

I was wondering the same thing. He seemed relatively normal until he said something like, “watching Amy dance blew my mind.”  WTF?

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
On 1/18/2020 at 8:18 PM, RealReality said:

Agree  100% with your  comment  about the trainer and dietician

• Love 1

I just caught this episode on a rerun, and saw the pool scene. Tammy can use a walker, so she can walk, so really, there isn't any reason she couldn't have used the stairs. They were wide, and shallow and had a railing.  I think she was just making excuses. 

• Love 7

From watching multiple shows about super morbidly obese people who claim they are disabled, it seems common that they are hesitate to do much moving.  I'm not sure if it's due to fear of falling or failing, but, it's often more psychological than physical.  I sometimes wonder if they fear losing their identity as a disabled person. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Yes, I agree.  Big time fear of change.  

Also, big time pain. 

When I do computer work most of the day,  I am stiff and it takes a bit of moving to loosen up. And I am about 40 lbs overweight.  

Gots to move to stay healthy.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Tosia said:

Yes, I agree.  Big time fear of change.  

Also, big time pain. 

When I do computer work most of the day,  I am stiff and it takes a bit of moving to loosen up. And I am about 40 lbs overweight.  

Gots to move to stay healthy.  

Oh yes.  I agree.  Last year, I had to get PT for knee pain.  Not really sure what was causing it. X-ray was good.  Therapist said that inactivity is the enemy.  Unless there is trauma or some kind of injury, movement is best. The more I moved the less the pain.  Now I try to stay as active as possible. I  go for walk if my legs or knees hurt.  It helps A LOT!  This year, my goal is to walk every day!

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7