Type keyword(s) to search

Nurses - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I started watching this show because I think a Canadian perspective generally brings something worthy. But this show is not it. The characters are ill developed, they seem like little angels bringing harmony to the lives of patients and their families. Too sugary and unrealistic. Maybe in Canada nurses have time to waste. And the acting is specially bad in some cases, in particular the overacting of the actress that plays Naz. The same thing happens in Transplant, which is not as bad as Nurses but is going downhill pretty fast.

• Love 2

I guess I'm doubly late to this party since this started airing last year in Canada and a couple of months ago here in the US. I just watched the first episode and it was fine for me as utterly empty brain calories. Pretty people bopping around a hospital solving problems and, I'm sure, hooking up. Literally nothing that hasn't been done on St. Elsewhere (yeah, I'm pretty old but in my defense I was a kid when I watched that), ER, Grey's Anatomy, New Amsterdam, etc. but I'll keep watching because sometimes that's all I want and I know not to think too hard about any of it!

• Love 5
On 3/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Well, it looks like we're finally getting to Grace taking Dr. Hamilton down, just in time for the finale next week! I kind of hope that it works, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a horrible disaster. Damn, Peter Stebbings always rocks the bad guy look. 

The cases this week worked really, really well. 

Naz's case was really sad to watch, but so was Keon's. I'm enjoying getting so many tidbits on Naz's past. I hope her backstory is explored in further depth for season 2.

Keon's relationship with Dr. Maryse from Shadowhunters is going to continue to be difficult, so I hope he's actually ended things for good...but probably not. 

Not enough Wolf. C'mon, show, I want to know how he gets out of his drug dealing mess. 

Also not enough Ashley.

There actually IS a season 2! They did renew it. 

The predatory doctor has such squinty eyes.

• Love 1

I was shocked that this was the finale. It didn't seem very finale-y.

I think I watched every episode, and it took me until this one to learn that cute doctor's name is Evan. I still know nothing about them except that he is (very) cute and (very) nice. I still am not aware of the older black nurse's name or know anything about him other than that he is kind of intimidating to the younger nurses. They did a little better job with Siobhan and the five young nurses in terms of character backstory, but even then it tends to be one tragic backstory and not much else. Someone upthread blamed the actors, but honestly, I don't think most of them are so bad. It is 100% the writing. And if they're trying to be the Canadian nurse version of Grey's Anatomy, they need to realize that the early charm of Grey's was in the character relationships, particularly the non-romantic friendships. Here we didn't get nearly enough of that. My favorite scene was the one in the bathroom at the party a few weeks ago, but it made me realize that the main five hardly ever interact en masse, or even one-on-one in significant ways. I need a better sense of their friendships.

As for this episode... is it mean of me to say that Travis Milne is looking kind of rough?

Edited by dargosmydaddy
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

That was the finale??

Yes it was for season 1.  It has been renewed in Canada for a second season, but hasn't started filming yet.  I remember reading that NBC was going to show season 2 but who knows now with their low ratings whether they will change their minds and decide not to show it. 

• Useful 1

Did anyone watch the season 2 premiere? I'm a bit confused about the timeline - it seems like minimal time has passed since the previous season and this one, but I'm not sure if they explained the reason for getting a new boss? I believe they said since Sinead ended up going to rehab the new interim charge nurse was Damien but other than her there was no "head boss" person like this new character last season. Also, what happened to Dr. Evan Wallace (the guy Grace was into last season)? They showed him in the season 1 summary in the intro but no mention of him or Grace being in a relationship or anything. Clearly she and that undercover nurse will be a thing this season but it's weird that they had this whole storyline with them as a couple and then just dropped it with no mention at all. 

• Love 1

Agreed. The first episode's intro to the new characters was confusing.

I miss Sinead. She was a hard ass but she really cared for the nurses.  The new one just seems like a real hard bitch.  At least the new administrator seems to give a crap (telling Woofe they are changing the insurance benefits).  

I hope Woofe gets out of this drug thing with little repercussions.

It was nice to see Mrs. Kim from Kim's Convenience as the restaurant owner. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, brighteyes said:

Also, what happened to Dr. Evan Wallace (the guy Grace was into last season)? They showed him in the season 1 summary in the intro but no mention of him or Grace being in a relationship or anything. Clearly she and that undercover nurse will be a thing this season but it's weird that they had this whole storyline with them as a couple and then just dropped it with no mention at all. 

Well, I know the actor has been on The CW'S Nancy Drew as a recurring character, so there's a chance he doesn't appear much this season, if at all, because of it. Which is a shame that it sounds like they might have just dropped the character entirely without explanation.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, greekmom said:

It was nice to see Mrs. Kim from Kim's Convenience as the restaurant owner. 

I knew I recognized her from somewhere! I love that actress, she did a great job - nice to see her in a dramatic role this time! 

8 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, I know the actor has been on The CW'S Nancy Drew as a recurring character, so there's a chance he doesn't appear much this season, if at all, because of it. Which is a shame that it sounds like they might have just dropped the character entirely without explanation.

I agree, it's a shame to drop him without at least mentioning him - at least say the character job a job elsewhere or something! It's particularly annoying since they spent time getting him to be with Grace and now they just pretend it never happened. I liked him and was hoping to see him have a greater role this season but I guess no such luck! Sigh. 

• Love 1

Last night's episode was great.  Loved how Grace is under pressure.

I am thinking Ashley and Barbie Nurse are going to hook up. 

Poor Naz. Wanting to adult and be independent yet got caught with the "hidden" fees. Schools really need to provide adulting classes such as cooking, car maintenance, basic sewing, budgeting, etc. 

I hope Ashley does rat out the doctor to the new head (I've forgotten her name).

• Love 1

So, I watched the first episode that I missed and last night's episode. A very solid start to season 2. Despite the fact that they seem to be dropping many season 1 characters (which I totally understand; COVID must have changed up whatever plans they've had), I am intrigued with the season two characters that they've introduced.

Ashley being shown as someone who is struggling in her relationship, just as Blonde Technician shows up and spars with Ashley, could be a good storyline. It's obvious that Ashley and Perky Nurse will be getting together, which could be interesting. But it's still a shame, since I still also like Ashley's paramedic girlfriend. It's a shame both of them are already drifting apart due to conflicting work schedules. 

And Ashley should absolutely rat the crappy fainting doctor to the new head, whose name is...Dr Falkner, maybe? I tried to look it up. Speaking of the new head doctor, she's actually pretty great. I like that she's tough, but fair, and she really does care about her nurses. She's not going to take any crap from them, but she genuinely wants to help them out, as well as the patients. So, I bet if Ashley told her now, she'd fight to help Ashley keep her job against that doctor who is threatening it. 

Grace had a lot of juggle with the young dad who kidnapped his own kid and threatened Grace with a knife to keep her quiet, and trying to save the baby. It was good how she hinted to Ashley on the danger that was happening. 

Poor Wolf, as well. He only started helping Red out for his own medical health reasons and now that the new head is actually helping him get what he needs, of course he wants out and of course he's in deep. I did notice that Red had a broken arm in this episode, so it does seem like he might have gotten it broken by whoever he's selling to. I can't say I feel bad for him. But hopefully, Wolf can get this figured out. I understand his predicament in coming clean to anyone, but I'm not sure any other way to get out of this mess. 

I did like Naz's subplot where she's figuring out how to adult. Of course she didn't understand the hidden fees part, as nobody would have explained that to her. Hopefully she can find a nice place soon. 

At least Keon isn't stuck in an immature romance with his boss anymore. I liked his scene with his patient (hi, Dylan Everett!) and how it might lead him to making amends with the other man he hurt.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

At least Keon isn't stuck in an immature romance with his boss anymore. I liked his scene with his patient (hi, Dylan Everett!) and how it might lead him to making amends with the other man he hurt.

OH MY. That was Dylan E. I couldn't tell with the facial hair. Good catch!

Ok, so I got the feeling in the first episode with the drunk phone call and the person he chose to call, but it definitely seems like they're setting up Naz and Keon as a romantic couple. Which...is better than Keon's last relationship. I'm intrigued, and also not surprised that they're exploring a romantic relationship with two main characters. 

Also no surprise they're finally exploring a relationship with Ashley and Candy (that's her name? LOL). I am gonna miss Ashley's (ex?) girlfriend, but I guess this new relationship could be interesting to watch. The two are very different, but seem to click. 

On the other relationship front, they're really pushing for Grace and Matteo. I'm not really interested in this relationship, but they are setting it up well enough.

It's surprising that the only one of the main crew that isn't in a relationship of any kind is Wolf, and there's no real signs of him getting into one this season. But I like that, because I'm interested in his personal stuff instead. Him getting caught is no surprise, especially with Red being no help whatsoever. But it sucks that the advice he's given by Damien is to pretend to be a drug addict because he won't lose his job that way. Now, he's going to be known as the addict and I think that might bring on some troubles down the road. But I guess it beats losing your job and possibly getting arrested.

The patients of the week worked fairly well. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Hand tremors stolen from The Resident, Dr. Bell played by Bruce Greenwood.

Dementia patient is Karen Robinson who played Ronnie on  Schitt's Creek.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, preeya said:

Hand tremors stolen from The Resident, Dr. Bell played by Bruce Greenwood.

Dementia patient is Karen Robinson who played Ronnie on  Schitt's Creek.

Just came to post.

My favourite game is spot the Canadian actor as a guest star.

I did like Doug the clown.  I agree that Naz needs a roommate.

Wolf really cannot stay out of trouble. Now sleeping with one of people at the meeting!?!?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, greekmom said:

Just came to post.

My favourite game is spot the Canadian actor as a guest star.

I did like Doug the clown.  I agree that Naz needs a roommate.

Wolf really cannot stay out of trouble. Now sleeping with one of people at the meeting!?!?

I guess we are the only two watching, or at least commenting.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, greekmom said:

And the girl is absolutely going to get upset when she finds out Wolf isn't actually a drug addict, which I assume will happen because this is still a TV show and...y'know, drama. And funny how I declared last episode that Wolf was the only one not in a romantic relationship and that changed very quickly here. I'm a bit disappointed, as I enjoyed that Wolf wasn't going to be thrown into romantic plots, but not surprised.

I love that Grace and Ashley are in a fight. Ashley is completely right in Grace's hypocrisy and her decision to not stand by her friend, especially since she should know, as a nurse, that tremors aren't going to happen EVERY time he has to use his fine motor skills, especially with an early illness. So Grace assuming that not just that Ashley was wrong, but that she was the cause of her own demise, was quite harsh. Ashley has grown a lot since the early series, and she has shown that she does care about her patients. Ashley has shown to step it up where it counts. Grace seems to be stuck in her own head a lot of the time. 

But this is good drama, honestly. It's just nice that Grace's only plot this season isn't revolving around men again. Although Matteo is still a love interest so...

Oh yay, we get to meet Keon's sister, who is, of course, going to be a nurse. 

Naz's plot with the clown was fun. I suspect Naz will be roommates with a Colby, I just haven't decided whether that's Keon or his sister.

• Love 5

I did watch the last two episodes live, I just didn't comment on last week's, so I guess I'll combine both episodes into this one. I did not expect them to give Ashley the cancer scare storyline. I thought that Wolf would have been a prime candidate for that since he already had cancer, and my biggest disappointment was that they didn't share a scene where Wolf could share his experiences with Ashley as she waited for her results. Instead, he got saddled into a romantic storyline with Ivy, who we kind of just met (I guess she's been around all season but she didn't make an impression UNTIL the rehab stuff popped up) and has ALREADY relapsed and dragged Wolf into all of that mess. Poor guy can't just have a simple storyline where he isn't destined to get into trouble. 

I don't hate Ivy but I think they really gave her material that really rushes her and Wolf into a messy relationship, especially if she's already been relapsing two days into meeting Wolf.  So I don't think I'm on board with their relationship right now. It's already on shaky ground and I wish they had developed it a bit more. I do see potential but I don't love how it's taken Wolf away from Ashley during her time of need, that's mostly it. 

Ashley's stuff was excellent, but I also wish there was more focus on her and less of Grace and her shitty sister. I really couldn't care less about Grace's now love triangle with her sister and Matteo.

But from Ashley helping that girl at the concert last episode and getting injured, to her having to deal with potentially being sick, to her helping that dying Christian woman this episode, she's really had it rough. 

Keon's story has been top notch. I love that he's been given more of a personal storyline, dealing with the effects of what he did years ago to the other football player. Also, hi again Dylan Everett! I love recurring patients! But I think Keon has had a very strong storyline this season, even with the Keon/Naz relationship hints sprinkled throughout. Again, way WAY better than his romantic arc last season. 

Naz has also gotten some good storylines, BUT I also wish they'd go back to exploring her trying to adult. I think it would help if we saw her outside of the hospital a bit more. 

I have thought about my rankings for the five main characters, especially this season, and here's where I stand:

1. Ashley - She has grown leaps and bounds and I love how complex she is. She's not always nice and she has made mistakes, but she stands up for what she believes in and has really become my favourite.
  2. Keon - Last season, he would have ranked close to the bottom. This season has done wonders for his character and I've loved his personal growth. His stories have interested me the most this season, so far.
  3. Naz - She's slipped a bit due to her more unsteady storylines this season. She's had potential but they haven't shown everything that she could do. But I do love her connections with the patients this season and I like the potential in her figuring out how to be an adult.
  4. Wolf - Unfortunately, with his romantic arc so far, he's slipped a bit. He hasn't had a whole lot to do, since most of his story has been to wrap up the drug smuggling storyline from last season, and his new love interest is going to lead him down yet another shady path for the right reasons. I was hoping for more from him.
  5. Grace - Alas, she has gotten some pretty meh storylines this season. Last season, at least with her stories centering around men, it at LEAST had some personal growth being that and she had some solid stuff with patients. But this season, besides the Ashley/Grace storyline (which has been top notch, for sure), her story still mostly centers around men and now her sister, and it's a damn shame. 
  • Love 3

Anyone watch last night's episode?  Damn Doug went from a nice guy to a big dick huh?

The Candy has a gf was disappointed especially since I thought they were hinting at her and Ashley.

I loved the front desk guy (what's his name?!) getting a massage and wearing a white tux.

Hopefully Naz and Keon work out.

• Love 3
On 8/9/2021 at 2:46 PM, greekmom said:

Anyone watch last night's episode?  Damn Doug went from a nice guy to a big dick huh?

The Candy has a gf was disappointed especially since I thought they were hinting at her and Ashley.

I loved the front desk guy (what's his name?!) getting a massage and wearing a white tux.

Hopefully Naz and Keon work out.

Yeah, I didn’t see anything before that he was an idiot, though if it clears the way for Naz and Keon, I’m ok with that. 

• Love 2

I guess I'm just gonna, once again, comment on the last two episodes.

I'm glad Naz broke things off with Doug the Clown. I guess they really went the route where he showed his true dickish colours, so good on Naz ends things right when she sees the red flags. And with her and Keon kissing (not surprised at all), I guess they'll eventually give things a try...as soon as Keon figures out that he doesn't need to be probably breaking that other woman's heart. I forgot that Keon kind of sucks at romantic relationships. Even with Dr. Maryse showing up last episode (I wish I could remember her character's name, but it was nice to see her pop in!), I think Keon needs to slow it down.

Wolf and Ivy's relationship is a whole damn mess. So now, Ivy breaks things off with Wolf? In literally four episodes, we've gone from them meeting, to kissing, to Ivy overdosing, to them starting a relationship to them breaking things off. Again, not a relationship I'm particularly rooting for. 

Ashley tells Candy about her girlfriend trying to kiss her...although, all episode, she went from Mo kissing her to Mo trying to kiss her back to Mo kissing her. Did the writers know what happened in the previous episode? Either way, it looks like Candy/Ashley is officially on!

I'm super glad that Grace/Naz got their own plot. I'm especially glad that Grace got a plot NOT revolving around a guy. I liked her burn patient stuff and how she explained to Naz why she was so insistent on patient care. It was a great episode for Grace, unlike the previous one, which was her bitching to Matteo about not sleeping with her sister, or whatever. 

• Love 3

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that they'd be exploring COVID right near the end of the season, but hopefully it's just a season finale thing and they can jump ahead for season 3. I did like how they handled it in this episode, with just talking about it in its early stages. It's been a year and a half since COVID first had an impact globally, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it in next week's finale (already?!?!)

Ok, Wolf questioning his career choices right before a finale will go one of two ways: either he will end up deciding that he cannot be a nurse anymore and he leaves in the finale, or the big crisis of COVID leads him to find his passion again. I suspect it might be the former, just with how he was trying to handwave his feelings with him needing a day off. In which case, boo. I know I've had some issues with Wolf's stories, but if he does leave, he'll still be missed.

I really liked Grace's plot with her terminally ill patient. Matteo wasn't such an annoyance, and I got a kick out of Wolf interrupting them right at the end, but Grace's strongest plots HAVE been with her patients, so it was nice to get to more of that.

I guess Keon/Naz is back on!

The cases this week, all of them, were beautifully done. As usual, Ashley got some really great stuff. She's definitely the best nurse out of the five. 

• Love 1

Just finished episode 9 the Wish Factory. Damn. This was the only hospital show that has not dealt with the pandemic and they are going there. I watch this show to escape from the pandemic.

The assisted dying case and the homeless single mom was super sad.  The nurse/patient guy was just an ass.

I think Wolf will become super nurse when the going gets tough.

• Love 2

I’m with you about wishing they were going to ignore Covid.

I hope though that the season finale is the only episode that really deals with it and if the show is renewed when they come back it is done and over with. I don’t care how unrealistic it would be.

• Love 2

Goddamn it. Season 2 episode 10 was hard.  Having them relive those first few months of the pandemic last year where they nurses and doctors were fighting this thing just killed me.

Cases of the week. I knew the mom had covid as soon as she started coughing.  The lady struck by lighting was an interesting case.

• Love 4
On 8/23/2021 at 5:10 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that they'd be exploring COVID right near the end of the season, but hopefully it's just a season finale thing and they can jump ahead for season 3. I did like how they handled it in this episode, with just talking about it in its early stages. It's been a year and a half since COVID first had an impact globally, so it'll be interesting to see how they handle it in next week's finale (already?!?!)

Ok, Wolf questioning his career choices right before a finale will go one of two ways: either he will end up deciding that he cannot be a nurse anymore and he leaves in the finale, or the big crisis of COVID leads him to find his passion again. I suspect it might be the former, just with how he was trying to handwave his feelings with him needing a day off. In which case, boo. I know I've had some issues with Wolf's stories, but if he does leave, he'll still be missed.

I really liked Grace's plot with her terminally ill patient. Matteo wasn't such an annoyance, and I got a kick out of Wolf interrupting them right at the end, but Grace's strongest plots HAVE been with her patients, so it was nice to get to more of that. https://assignmentbro.com/ie/nursing-assignment-help supports me while attending my nursing school and offers assignment help.

I guess Keon/Naz is back on!

The cases this week, all of them, were beautifully done. As usual, Ashley got some really great stuff. She's definitely the best nurse out of the five. 

I actually liked how they explored the topic of COVID near the end of the season. I'm curious to see how they handle it in the finale season.

What about Wolf's storyline, I think he might either decide to leave his nursing career or find his passion again through the COVID crisis.

I think all the cases in that week's episode were well-done, but only what about Ashley - I wouldn't say she's necessarily the best nurse out of the group))

• Like 1