Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion: There's a New Sheriff in Town

• Start Topic

Five episodes stacked up in my playlist because I wasn't sure I wanted to invest any more of my life in the 60 Day-inners.

But they didn't waste time getting to the drama, did they? 

A metric fuckton of contraband, doors that don't lock, toughguys who don't make it through the first episode, Naked & Afraid crossover.  My oh my.

I'm fascinated by the woman who planned to survive on all the fresh fruit and salads.  Really?  Was her condition not worthy of a serious pre-show discussion with Production?   I have about 0.001% intersection with the penal system in my state and even I know the food is hideous.  In my state, even the "meat" is primarily composed of grain.  I've heard some inmates live mainly on beef jerky and Honeybuns from the commissary.

Dennis.  Dennis, Dennis, Dennis.  Respect is a two-way street.  And if the traffic flow gets jammed up anywhere, it's going to be when you're incarcerated and it's going to be in favor of the guards, not the inmates.

I think hubris is about to bite Dennis on the ass.

• Love 12

Hi.  Me again.  I should have waited until I saw Episode Five before I posted.  This thing is really just ripping along.  I think the previous seasons usually had a mid-season trough about now, but not the rat-trap that is Alabama!  There's Nurse Ratched banging handcuffs on the wall, taunting the inmates and flicking the lights all night long.  The producers must be THRILLED--what were the chances they were going to capture a sadistic CO inflicting psychological abuse on the inmates in the Women's Pod?

And the only things Tony's missing are a Lone Ranger mask, a big white cowboy hat and a steed.

Edited by candall
  • LOL 4
  • Love 9

On one hand a group of participants completely unsuited for jail in every way imaginable.

on the other hand a sadistic CO who has everyone watching quite willing to go to jail for the honor of beating the ever living crap out of her,

So far the season has been a bit of a wash.  

• Love 3

I don’t get the woman with the eating restrictions.  Why did she even volunteer for the program and why did the program approve her in the first place?    This is jail not a high class hotel and a jail that can barely keep the lights on.  To expect fresh fruit and salad is insane.    Even well run jails don’t provide that.   They are required to provide two or three meals  and a cot (not all states require 3 meals and that they all even be hot).    If you tell them you have legit religious/dietary restrictions they will usually adhere to them with a special meal.   But this is why most inmates have commissary because food in jail sucks.    

• Love 8
On 1/31/2020 at 9:17 PM, movingtargetgal said:

Can Ms Williams be charged with assault for pepper spraying an inmate without cause.  It would be the inmates word against hers but her sadistic and dishonest behavior have been documented by the cameras.

Her behavior is on film. And frankly, aside from the pepper spraying incident, they’ve got to be watching all of this and why they haven’t fired her ass is beyond me! She is a sadist and a psychopath.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, Kid said:

Her behavior is on film. And frankly, aside from the pepper spraying incident, they’ve got to be watching all of this and why they haven’t fired her ass is beyond me! She is a sadist in a psychopath.

Miss Williams should be GONE ASAP.  The scary thing is, she's on camera, she knows she's on camera and she does it anyway.

This jail seems to be severely understaffed and that's probably why she's been able to keep her job.  I wonder what the prison budget is, how much the CO's are paid.  If they're not paid much, maybe that's why she's still there, no one else wants the job or even worse, maybe no one else is qualified. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9

I quite like some of the participants this season.  Shanese, for example, has hi-lited an issue with food allergies.  I'm sure countless prisoners face the same problem and likely can't afford to purchase commissary either.  Ashley has pointed out a couple very basic needs; clothes and female supplies.  The whole women's pod is such a sad example of the inhumane treatment prisoners can be subjected to.  

Edited by Chloe Dog
I meant clothes, not food.
  • Love 11
On 2/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, Chaos Theory said:

I don’t get the woman with the eating restrictions.  Why did she even volunteer for the program and why did the program approve her in the first place?    This is jail not a high class hotel and a jail that can barely keep the lights on.  To expect fresh fruit and salad is insane.    Even well run jails don’t provide that.   They are required to provide two or three meals  and a cot (not all states require 3 meals and that they all even be hot).    If you tell them you have legit religious/dietary restrictions they will usually adhere to them with a special meal.   But this is why most inmates have commissary because food in jail sucks.    

I am pretty sure she said she has celiac disease. That’s a legit diet restriction where eating gluten can serious consequences. She informed the guards and they’ve done nothing to ensure appropriate meals are available for her. I think this highlights a major and often overlooked issue for inmates. 

The inhumane and outright abusive behavior of Ms. Williams needs to be dealt with swiftly and severely. It’s downright appalling how she’s being allowed to run amok with zero consequences. I do hope, like someone suggested above, the jail is just trying to get documentation on film in order to ensure a clean termination of her employment. 

• Love 12
On 2/2/2020 at 8:36 PM, Stealthy said:

The inhumane and outright abusive behavior of Ms. Williams needs to be dealt with swiftly and severely. It’s downright appalling how she’s being allowed to run amok with zero consequences. I do hope, like someone suggested above, the jail is just trying to get documentation on film in order to ensure a clean termination of her employment. 

Hopefully so.  It is interesting that we see Ms. Williams' face.  Aren't you supposed to sign a release saying that you agree to be filmed?  We don't see the faces of some of the CO's.  

I think she keeps coming back because the pay is probably very low and no one wants to do the job, or maybe she's the most qualified (and that's a scary thought.)

• Love 5

You likely sign the release BEFORE you film so she likely was with being film and then they caught her doing all this crap.  And like others have stated, the pay is probably low and they have a hard time getting employees so they probably begged her to come back.

And while production is watching the cameras, they only allow themselves to intervene when the emergency signal is given. I don't think the sheriff or anyone else involved who actually works at the jail view the footage until the very end. So they have no idea what this CO is doing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Hopefully so.  It is interesting that we see Ms. Williams' face.  Aren't you supposed to sign a release saying that you agree to be filmed?  We don't see the faces of some of the CO's.  

I think she keeps coming back because the pay is probably very low and no one wants to do the job, or maybe she's the most qualified (and that's a scary thought.)

My brother in law once tried to get a job as a CO. The pay is consistent, and it is a lot for not having to have any education ro special skills. But the thing that got me about it is that you can't have more than something in the neighborhood of 5k in debt. This was in Missouri, so the rules might be different elsewhere. I always wondered what kind of debt they were talking about though. If you have a car payment, you are disqualified? A motgage would certainly disqualify you. If it is unsecured debt like with credit cards, I can see that. But I personally have a mortgage and student loans, so I will be more than 5k in debt forever probably. I also wonder where in AL this is (haven't given it a Goog yet). Some jails are in pretty rural areas and there isn't much of a population so there aren't many people for the jobs. Regardless, she's a monster and needs to be fired immediately. 

• Love 9
On 2/4/2020 at 4:26 PM, Dmarie019 said:

You likely sign the release BEFORE you film so she likely was with being film and then they caught her doing all this crap.  And like others have stated, the pay is probably low and they have a hard time getting employees so they probably begged her to come back.

That's even scarier because you know she's been acting like that for a long time.  She doesnt' give a shit if her face is shown.  No one else probably wants that job, so she gets suspended for a few days then comes back, it's awful

• Love 7

I feel bad for everyone in the cell with Mr. Funk Bandit. There has to be a mental health problem involved because who doesn't want to wash their ass given the opportunity? Especially after being confronted about it several times by multiple people. 

I was sympathetic toward Shanese but even I'm tired of hearing about her dietary woes. Then she gives the emergency signal.... to talk about a shift in energy?? 😆

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

Not only is the born again participant a bit of a loon, but she is the type of person who thinks everyone is interested in hearing her dreams. I don’t care if you think you are having sex with demons in your dreams; hearing about them is boring and annoying. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
On 2/8/2020 at 10:35 PM, PoshSprinkles said:

How in six seasons of this show are participants still messing up their cover stories????? Is it really that difficult to say they got charged with a DUI and have to serve 60 days in jail???? Or some other crime that would entail a relatively short jail sentence???? 

I laughed when the production crew told Shanese the emergency signal is for, uh, emergencies only and not social calls. Production really needs to make the signal a one and done. If you signal them then that means you want out and they are taking you out. 

Alex is endearing in his own weird way. He may be the one to surprise us all and be one of the ones who doesn't tap out. 

But they are given their cover stories!!  I can never understand why the sheriffs give them such detailed and ridiculous charges. or why they don't know what people are going to find fishy and what not. Give them a lawyers name, say they've already been to court. The 2nd guy to check out - because one inmate knew he was in the wrong pod for his charge. like wtf is that!?!?

And now blondie who is raising red flags AGAIN because she has a federal charge for theft. Why would she just have a regular theft charge? 

And speaking of her.. she's given the emergency signal TWICE. both times she calmed down and said she wanted to say. Why couldn't they give the same consideration to Shanese? Because she wasn't in hysterics like the other girl? 

I'd be a whiney ass bitch too if I was in there and starving. lol 

• Love 8
On 2/8/2020 at 8:32 PM, PityFree said:

Not only is the born again participant a bit of a loon, but she is the type of person who thinks everyone is interested in hearing her dreams. I don’t care if you think you are having sex with demons in your dreams; hearing about them is boring and annoying. 

As witnessed by her cellmate's replies: "uh huh, yeah, uh huh demons..." Poor girl was trying to get some shut eye! STFU with your "dreams" and chanting.

Edited by TipseyGirl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

I honestly don’t understand why the show doesn’t try to find......real people to do this instead of walking narcissists.   I get that it is glorified reality tv and many are going to (try) to use this to build their resume when they apply to the higher/more moronic  shows but  does anyone else think this would still be a fascinating experiment with actual human beings instead of dickwads who might belong in jail or idiots who have never heard of jail before?    

She may have made a few tactical errors,  but the only person actually investigating the prison is Ashley. Sucking up to Miss Williams was a great idea.   I loved her getting  the job that let her travel around the prison .

And yes I agree that the lack of adequate prison food is important but  Shanese  needs to grow a pair and figure out a way around it and  to do her job or tap out.   Her constant whining it annoying.

With the amount of contraband that goes through the jail the born again Christian probably comes off like an addict to the other inmates.    She wouldn’t be the first drug addict to get a little too high and be chased by demons.   So she probably does fit in just fine.

The new guy (forget his name) and the fight was interesting.   He is essentially right.  A one on one fight you let it take care of itself.   You don’t get involved unless the dude you are protecting is getting ganged up on or if the other guy doesn’t let up when you call it.   The white guy needs to understand that.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 12
On 2/11/2020 at 12:31 PM, Chaos Theory said:

The new guy (forget his name) and the fight was interesting.   He is essentially right.  A one on one fight you let it take care of itself.   You don’t get involved unless the dude you are protecting is getting ganged up on or if the other guy doesn’t let up when you call it.   The white guy needs to understand that.  

ANDDDDD the white guy STARTED IT!  You started it and you 'lost' - you don't get to whine about your friend just watching.  

• Love 8

The montage of clips with Shanese going on and on (and on) about her dietary condition was pretty funny.  Sorry, Shanese--I know it's a real thing.  But by this time, she should have access to her commissary account and able to avoid the jailhouse pasta bowls.

[Sidethought:  I wonder if they sell hardboiled eggs from the commissary?  That would solve a lot of problems for people with restricted diets.  Cheap, good protein, kosher, halal, gluten-free.  Everyone but vegans.  Shark Tank, call me.]

Boy, that guy Dennis is begging for a punch in the nose.  His whole "respect" schtick now includes cutting the chow line.  That's the sort of entitlement that tends to piss me off, too, Alex.

And I hated the crocodile tears when Dennis wishes he could have helped Alex.  Yeah, we saw earlier exactly where you stood when push came to shove.  "Sorry, bruh.  Lose my number."

So long, Alex.  You were a soft, soft muffin and not made for the likes of 60 Days In.  

I'm awarding Alex several parting gift points for self-awareness, though.  He quickly realized that he had over-reacted, that he had made a mistake by not addressing his fears earlier, that he had let people down, even that he's not mature enough to separate from his parents.  Woof, that's a gritty cookie to choke down in front of the camera.

• Love 12

Well said Candall. It was a relief for me to see Alex tap out, I'd get a queasy feeling in my gut everytime he was on screen, he just didn't fit in, and I was afraid he was really going to get hurt.  Oh and Denis can suck it, no points from me for wishing you could have taken Alex 'under your wing', you arrogant shithead. 

Edited by wintrygal
misspell
  • Love 14

I'm glad Alex got out of there, but I kind of thought he would surprise everybody and stick it out the whole time.  I felt really bad for him from beginning to end, including their training.  And then his revelations about his tough childhood being bullied and his many insecurities.  I hate for him that he knew his parents would be disappointed in him.  I want to give him a hug!

Dennis can go to hell in a hand-basket.  Along with Shanese.  The others are tolerable.

Whatever happened to the women who suspected/knew the blonde (can't remember her name) was a plant?  It was said an episode or so ago then never mentioned again.

Lord, help me control my impulses so I never end up in jail.

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, slasherboy said:

Dennis can go to hell in a hand-basket.  Along with Shanese.  The others are tolerable.

Shanese raises a good point.  I am sure there are inmates who have all sorts of allergies with food.  When we have an event where I work, we have to accommodate all sorts of issues with food.  That's not true in prison because of budgets and things like that.  Important issues.

Something about Ashley I don't like, she seems to be auditioning for the role of "white savior."  She irks me, I wish she would tap out for real.

• Love 7

Shanese is annoying.

Dennis is an asshole.

Alex was just In waaaau over his head.

The born again Christian lady has a screw loose.   

it seems like the only person actually doing what they are supposed to do is new guy whose name i can never remember and Ashley.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Doesn’t anybody get that there are real inmates who have allergies?  What about them?  I’m sick of the faux Christian and Ashey.

There are a lot of inmates who have health issues.  The correctional facility is REQUIRED provide inmates with appropriate nutrition and healthcare.  In Shanese's case she needs a special diet to maintain her health.  The jail should be providing her with a special diet.  It was disturbed me to see that the edema in Shanese's legs and feet were not treated by the medical staff.  Edema can be very painful and is a serious condition that can be a sign of heart, liver and kidney failure.  Her feet were beyond swollen.  I have had it so badly that I could not walk and needed to be hospitalized.  Shanese is shining a spotlight on the jail's neglect of the inmate medical needs.  

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 12

Shanise is shining a light on a real issue in prison.  Ashey is just self righteous, she’s exhausting.

Ashey is a reason people can't stand police officers.  See, she was all crying when her husband told her he wanted to divorce her, and we were supposed to feel for her, but where was that feeling for Shanice? Nope, she had no feelings for her, who cares about a black woman's pain, huh Ashley? 

BUT, as soon as Shanice said that she peed for Angel, BOOM, Ashley went into cop mode, "I want her GONE," she said to the camera.  Right Ashley, don't have any sympathy for anybody when they're hurting but rush to arrest them when they do something wrong.  That is the reason some people feel that the police is an occupying force in certain communities. 

Edited by Neurochick
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8

As badly as I feel for Shanice, I have to admit that if I had to listen to her talk about her celiac problems ENDLESSLY, I would start to lose patience and hang out with her less. I have rheumatoid arthritis and if I talked about it every time I was in pain, I would never shut up or talk about anything else, and no one would be able to bear my company. I keep it to myself unless a specific situation calls for me to mention it, and I think Shanice would be better served by focusing all of that energy into reporting it to the CO on duty at every meal, submitting written complaints 3 times a day. And of course, reporting it as part of her findings at the end of the program - a huge problem not ever exposed on this show before, which in itself makes this season successful despite the cast dropping like flies.

I hope this show starts a chain reaction somehow that causes the correctional system to do better when it comes to the special nutritional needs of inmates.  It can’t be THAT hard to make gluten-free fruits and vegetables available to such a small percentage, especially now that the person in charge of the food budget at this facility isn’t crooked as hell anymore. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
On 2/14/2020 at 11:45 AM, candall said:

And I hated the crocodile tears when Dennis wishes he could have helped Alex.  Yeah, we saw earlier exactly where you stood when push came to shove.  "Sorry, bruh.  Lose my number."

Yea, WTF was THAT!?!?!? He tapped out and now you feel bad for him?? And I though the new guy (Tony?) was actually suppose to go in there and give Alex a self-esteem boost because the Sheriff or whatever knew he was having problems completely his 'mission'. Tony does nothing, he goes in and tries to compete against Dennis to get the most shanks. What a bunch of idiots. 

On 2/15/2020 at 9:47 AM, Neurochick said:

Ashey is a reason people can't stand police officers.  See, she was all crying when her husband told her he wanted to divorce her, and we were supposed to feel for her, but where was that feeling for Shanice? Nope, she had no feelings for her, who cares about a black woman's pain, huh Ashley? 

I don't get why Ashley was sooooo pissed off at that.  Is it legal? Surely, but I can think of a million other things that would be far worse for them to do while in there. But now Shanese can go to the sheriff and be like hey i did this, I was pressured and was scared to say no, you better lock up your procedure on drug urine tests.  But that would have been funny if that lady would have tested positive for something lol   

• Love 7

I can't believe nobody is watching this show! This is honestly one of my favorites! I think that maybe last season did people in, it was an awful season.

I am so glad Shanisse is gone, it was her time, she would be exhausting to sit and talk to. I understand her problem but Jesus woman, not every sentence needs to be about your food. The fact that she said she was going to tell everyone that Ashley and the other weirdo are 60 days in people would have been enough for me. Ashley did the right thing by actually convincing her to tap out.

Ashley being called out as a cop is alarming for us and would be so scary for her and the other weirdo (I just can't remember that chick's name, the religious one) and so so dangerous. How will they get Ashley out without them all going "we knew it". They will have to take the other weirdo out with her to protect her too.

The men's pod is also a very scary place. That stabbing was surreal. I don't see Dennis doing anything but trying to out-do the last guy that came in. (Why can't I remember anyone's name this week?) At least that guy gets shanks and gives it to the producer as evidence

Next week is going to be interesting. Who will they take out and who will stay in.

• Love 6
On 1/31/2020 at 6:03 PM, candall said:

Hi.  Me again.  I should have waited until I saw Episode Five before I posted.  This thing is really just ripping along.  I think the previous seasons usually had a mid-season trough about now, but not the rat-trap that is Alabama!  There's Nurse Ratched banging handcuffs on the wall, taunting the inmates and flicking the lights all night long.  The producers must be THRILLED--what were the chances they were going to capture a sadistic CO inflicting psychological abuse on the inmates in the Women's Pod?

And the only things Tony's missing are a Lone Ranger mask, a big white cowboy hat and a steed.

...and country music in the background.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

And there was Dennis, saying once again that he's running the pod.  His delusion is absolutely mind boggling to me.  What the hell does he think he's the boss of? He's running things because he was able to get a shank?  (That was a very scary shank, too!!!) Dude, almost everyone in there has some kind of shank, you being able to acquire one does not make you the pod boss. 

Shanisse taking her food with her was such a dick move!  If I liked her better, I would almost appreciate how cold it was, but I find her insufferable, so it was just another moment that proved what an asshole she is.  Just because she is miserable in there doesn't mean her only option is to out everyone else in the program.  And wow did she ever overreact to whatshername saying "This is jail" to her.  I had grown very weary of her constantly saying she was "about to" go off on somebody, she was "about to" snap, she was "about to" do this and that.  Lady, SHUT THE HELL UP AND LEAVE ALREADY!  So utterly self absorbed that she couldn't remember why she was there in the first place, or that she was the one who signed up for it.  She left there truly believing she was some kind of victim of everyone and everything.

Who gets the girl's cell who kept flooding it with toilet contents? There's not enough bleach in the world that would allow me to sleep in any of those nasty rooms. I'm so thankful that I am way too afraid of consequences and punishments to ever do anything that would land me in jail.  I've had one speeding ticket since 1995, and that's as close as I've gotten to real trouble. Mr. Irritable feels the same way - we've already done our taxes because we were afraid to get too close to April 15th and possibly incur a late fee. Being a boring, law abiding citizen has its advantages, and shows like this and LIVE PD have helped me embrace the fact that we do not live thrilling lives on the edge of the law.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 2/18/2020 at 3:36 PM, Dmarie019 said:

Yea, WTF was THAT!?!?!? He tapped out and now you feel bad for him?? And I though the new guy (Tony?) was actually suppose to go in there and give Alex a self-esteem boost because the Sheriff or whatever knew he was having problems completely his 'mission'. Tony does nothing, he goes in and tries to compete against Dennis to get the most shanks. What a bunch of idiots. 

I don't get why Ashley was sooooo pissed off at that.  Is it legal? Surely, but I can think of a million other things that would be far worse for them to do while in there. But now Shanese can go to the sheriff and be like hey i did this, I was pressured and was scared to say no, you better lock up your procedure on drug urine tests.  But that would have been funny if that lady would have tested positive for something lol   

Although I am not a fan of Ashley that was a "cream puff" move by Shanese in peeing for that Girl.   The girl did not even tell Shanese thank you or goodbye when she left,  She just used Shanese like a cheap piece of toilet paper.

Jennifer thinks she is their to convert people to Christians.  The only reason the inmates have not messed with her is because she is attractive and comes off as religious. 

Maybe if you are too clean cut or don't look like you are from the streets, you should try to look more the part of an inmate.  Ashley should have maybe cut her hair or did something to not look so "Squeaky" clean before she came in.

• Love 2

Last night was a really good example of why jails are the biggest metal health providers in the country and how very wrong that is. That girl (can't remember her name, Sierra?) was an addict and had a ton of mental health issues. I am betting that one or more of those issues led to her being placed in that shit hole in the first place. She needs treatment, including medication management and counseling, not to be locked in a solitary room 23 hours a day. It made me sad. 

I'm currently typing this at a Starbucks while avoiding actual work I should be doing and am overhearing people near me extol the virtues of "being keto". I find people who consistently talk about food and diets incredibly exhausting, even if it is a real condition like Shanese. She would have driven me crazy too. 

• Love 8

The problem is that it’s illegal to commit people with mental health issues without cause so more often then not many  end up in jails and prisons for whatever crime they commit so then their medication can be regulated.    You can’t just force someone to take their meds and tie them to their beds and lock them in hospitals if they don’t.   We’ve tried that already.   It doesn’t work.   So we now only lock up the ones go commit actual crimes.   Is it fair?    I don’t know.   Should there be better facilities for these people,   Most definitely.   However you can say the same for drug addicts.   Who only commit crimes to get more drugs.   If we find better ways to cure the initial problem then the later one goes away.  

• Love 3

I'm glad I found out Shanese is not on the show anymore.  Now I have no reason to watch it.  I don't care about Ashey the cop or the faux Christian.  No point in me watching.

BTW, I'd laugh if Shanese beat the crap out of Ashey after this was over.  Ashey is a bitch pure and simple.  So what Shanese was talking about food all the time, Ashey seemed to like the faux Christian though and that says a lot about her.

For me, Shanese was a very important part of the show.  She talked on and on about her issues because she was self aware and knew that her diet was the cause of it, she saw herself deteriorating and knew it was because of her diet.  I think that was very important.  Maybe a reason so many poor people end up in prison has to do with poor diet and not having enough food options in their neighborhoods.

Before my neighborhood was gentrified, this "kids drink" showed up in my supermarket.  It was the size of a grenade and it was different colors, it looked like colored water to me, I never tried it.  I used to listen to a black talk radio station at that time.  A man was talking about those drinks, he was curious about them because he never saw them in any supermarket except those in black neighborhoods.  The drinks turned out to be water, food coloring and sugar.  Yuk and that crap sold for less than a dollar I think. 

Shit like that makes me think, maybe that's why some kids have behavior problems, it's the food.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

This jail is in a complete system failure that the new sheriff may not be able to fix.   For one even inmates on “lockdown” are not supposed to be locked in a cell for 24 hours straight.   It’s supposed to be 23/1 lockdown which means 23 hours with 1 hour a day out to either spend in a rec yard or take a shower.   

And yes Shanese is fundamentally correct about the food being inadequate but her focusing all the conversations on herself she is essentially not helping with the project at large.  For all her faults Ashley is attempting to make things better for everyone else which is the whole point of the project. 

And it is scary how easy it is for Tony to get a shank.   Which also says something about the lack of oversight in the jail.

There are way too man fundamental problems in the jail from bottom to top.   This isn’t a matter of “how are drugs getting in our jail.”  Like the other seasons were.   This is “How the hell is this jail still functioning?”

The sad fact IS that it only is because people don’t really care about inmates so no one really cares if they barely have the required things by law.   Which is probably why the old boss got away with what he got away with.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8

Ok so I have a few things to say about this jail and the inmates and co's within.  I'll predicate this by saying I am college educated, with a professional career in higher education. However due to a DUI in 2014 (actually two DUIs 5 weeks apart), I wound up spending 90 days in county jail. This is in NJ, the jail basically looks the same as far as pod layout however this jail in etowah county looks more dilapidated, messy, than the one I was in. They were strict about keeping a clean room, and you would never be allowed to hang blankets for privacy from bunks. Also it was an infraction to be in another person's cell(the only time I ever got in trouble was trading commissary in someone's room).

The main thing that strikes me about the 'plant's is how normal they seem. In my eyes they fit right in with inmates I have seen in real life. There are definitely girls who look and act like Ashley,  they tend to be popular girls w leadership skills. No surprise at all that they made her a trustee. I also was a trustee and the freedom is amazing, the guards treat you like a peer and rules are much less strict. Plus having a job passes the time. 

Shanese reminded me of the many neurotic, food focused people who complained about every tray, especially if they were on a special diet. Food becomes a focus in general bc it's basically the highlight of the day. It can be very demoralizing to get food you dislike or cant/wont eat because you have no control. I wouldn't eat the ham steak or bologna sandwiches at all.  Favorite foods like chicken patty,hamburgers,  or hot dogs was a cause for celebrating. Also, we had salad on every lunch and dinner tray (more like a coleslaw) plus a mixed veggie, and apples were always available. This may not be the case for etowah county, however I did note that practically all the special tray people complained a lot, mostly bc thier trays lacked variety and it seems they felt they were 'missing out ' somehow.

Jessica seems like your average holy roller, not intellectual, boring conversationalist, but friendly and has more common sense than it would seem. Also looks wise she blends in I've seen many girls with a similar look, they tend to get attention for a week or so then people move on,. 

So my main conclusion is that these girls both look and act like many other inmates,they are not ' too pretty ' or groomed or refined or anything.  There are many girls ,especially younger ones,  who don't look a mess, this seems to be a strong stereotype that all 'real' inmates look like crackheads with missing teeth, no hygiene, etc..I would say about half of inmates have that really rough look, maybe a quarter have kind of a 'street' look but not missing teeth or anything, and the rest just look normal.

I guess what annoys me is that they themselves and seemingly most viewers perceive them as so different in looks and behavior than your average inmate. While to me, they would fit right in and wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Also btw, fights are absolutely awesome, the ultimate in entertainment, it's not just Ashley(or me),  the whole pod gets hyped if a fight happens.

Really the worst thing day to day is the grinding boredom, it really doesn't bring out the best in people. Actually the worst thing is the shame /disgrace of being there and having that be the reason you're away from family. But day to day, the boredom breeds drama.

• Useful 6
  • Love 6

A thing that strikes me about inmates figuring out that some people are part of the 60 Days In program is that if they understand what the show is about, then they have no reason to dislike or endanger the participants. They are in there to bust the jail for poor standards and practices, not to bust the inmates. They are actually on the side of the people doing real time, and should be seen as allies.

Except the cop - of course no one in there is going to be thrilled to know a police officer is among them. She hasn’t tried AT ALL to not act like a cop, it’s almost as if she wanted to be figured out because it “proves” how great she is at protecting and serving. She really bugs me, but I do appreciate that she and the religious woman have worked hard to help in there. It’s one thing to say the place is a mess and needs improvement but they are actually getting their hands dirty. 

Whoever gets the top bunks get a window and a shelf. The bottom bunk gets a table that the top person has to step on to get in and out of bed. I would possibly be willing to get into a shank fight just to secure the top bunk premium real estate.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Actually the bottom bunk is considered more desirable bc it has more privacy and you don't have to keep jumping/climbing up and down. We had the desks but the chairs were removed in all but 3-4 cells which still had the stools not sure why? So no easy way to climb up and down. The only advantage to the top bunk is the ability to sit up straight on the bed without needing to hunch over.

• Useful 3

I have a brother with Celiac (diagnosed as a toddler, now in his 30s), so I'm absolutely sympathetic to Shanese and any issues with the jail not serving her appropriate food, and it's definitely an issue worth shedding a light on. However, her constant complaining would have bugged me too. A couple episodes ago she was even complaining about the fruit (something about how she didn't like the skin on apples). That's a food you can eat! How about not complaining about literally everything?

I did feel like Ashley was a little over the top in her reaction to Shanese peeing for the other inmate, as Shanese clearly felt pressured (though maybe she could have tried tried resisting a bit more? I dunno). But I agreed with her about Shanese's threats to out the others, and also about her taking her food with her when she left. As someone who dealt with food issues, seems like she should have been a little more aware of others.

• Love 6
On 2/22/2020 at 9:39 AM, Chaos Theory said:

For all her faults Ashley is attempting to make things better for everyone else which is the whole point of the project. 

But I don't think that really is the purpose.  The purpose is to figure out how the jails are failing at their job. How drugs and weapons are getting in. While at the same time an inside perspective of how the inmates are treated. But i've never once heard any of the sheriffs tell the participants - "we want you to go in there and see if the inmates are treated like crap" 

Ashley has just basically made that her mission - as that seems to be the only issue going on inside the women's pod. 

On 2/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, redpencil said:

I did feel like Ashley was a little over the top in her reaction to Shanese peeing for the other inmate, as Shanese clearly felt pressured (though maybe she could have tried tried resisting a bit more? I dunno). But I agreed with her about Shanese's threats to out the others, and also about her taking her food with her when she left. As someone who dealt with food issues, seems like she should have been a little more aware of others.

I would feel pressured too if a 'pod boss' asked me to do that and you thought she'd be sticking around. Having that lady leave after a good pee test probably gave her a huge relief. So it's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.  I would like to see how Ashley would have handled it or what would have happened to her if she said no. 

And Shanese was just not in her right mind when she left.  So I will excuse her for taking all her food. Hopefully after she left she was like shit.. I should have left all this stuff for other people. But she was maybe just in the moment of being excited for going home. 

I wanted to like Ashley but she's really getting on my nerves now.. she's a little high and mighty. 

• Love 4
On 2/24/2020 at 8:07 AM, Dmarie019 said:

And Shanese was just not in her right mind when she left.  So I will excuse her for taking all her food. Hopefully after she left she was like shit.. I should have left all this stuff for other people.

That bothered me because for all the bitching she has done about food, her ailments, and her issues with people not having more empathy for her... clearly, her goal to be on 60 Days In was about her, and not about helping anyone else. Cripes, even on her way out she was complaining about Ashley questioning her behaviour - "after ALL she's been through... she can't have kids, has celiac, ... " ad nauseam! Even those inmates who would give her their fruit, make her a bra, etc., yet she couldn't give anything back? Good riddance and don't let the door hit you in the ass.

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 7
On 2/22/2020 at 5:47 PM, redpencil said:

I did feel like Ashley was a little over the top in her reaction to Shanese peeing for the other inmate, as Shanese clearly felt pressured (though maybe she could have tried tried resisting a bit more? I dunno). 

I agree! Maybe I am not grasping the full seriousness of the 'peeing' offence, but come on... she wasn't asked to make a shank, beat up someone, rat someone else out... It's pee. Shanese was picked because everyone could see she was cleaner than most. Frankly, if Ashley was asked she would have done it because she would then feel like the inmates accepted her rather than think she's on the show. She would have been bragging about how well she fitted in.

• Love 5
On 1/31/2020 at 7:16 PM, Chaos Theory said:

So far the season has been a bit of a wash.  

LOL, this last comment is incongruous with the comments preceding it. I assume you're being sarcastic? If so, excellent post!

Ciara - I think I accidentally referred to her a Alicia needs to be placed in a mental health lock down. When someone intentionally floods their toilet and smears shit and urine all over the walls and herself - she is not 'with it'. And she is not learning a thing by being placed in jail. Her mind is permanently fried - by drugs or whatever. Same with the fellows locked in jail who were priorly homeless. If they have a shower and food available to them, but don't have the wherewithal to take advantage of them... well, they are lost causes regardless of where they are placed. There's no way I could exist with a filthy person in my cell. (Note to self - Don't ever break the law... ha)

• Love 5

Ciara - I think I accidentally referred to her as Alicia needs to be placed in a mental health lock down. When someone intentionally floods their toilet and smears shit and urine all over the walls and herself - she is not 'with it'. And she is not learning a thing by being placed in jail. Her mind is permanently fried - by drugs or whatever. Same with the fellows locked in jail who were priorly homeless. If they have a shower and food available to them, but don't have the wherewithal to take advantage of them... well, they are lost causes regardless of where they are placed. There's no way I could exist with a filthy person in my cell. (Note to self - Don't ever break the law... ha)

I have got to watch my recordings prior to posting my views, lol. I just watched idiot Ashley state to an inmate that she promised to serve and protect all citizens and her country, yada yada. Shut the F up gal, and just stick a 60 Days In post-it on your forehead. What an ass!

• Love 4
(edited)
On 2/28/2020 at 4:16 PM, Chalby said:

I have got to watch my recordings prior to posting my views, lol. I just watched idiot Ashley state to an inmate that she promised to serve and protect all citizens and her country, yada yada. Shut the F up gal, and just stick a 60 Days In post-it on your forehead. What an ass!

I think she was telling people she was in the National Guard or something. Even her fellow whatever they're called (brain fart) don't know she's a police officer. But yea, that definitely doesn't help her try to blend in. 

Edited by Dmarie019
  • Love 3