Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Lady Boss

Aulty

After Cloud 9’s acquisition, Amy struggles to contact the store’s new parent company, Sandra enlists Garrett and Dina’s help to stand up to Carol, and Glenn wrestles with a big career decision. Meanwhile, a new Cloud 9 clothing line gives Jonah an opportunity to take up the cause of gender equality.

Original Air Date: January 9th, 2019

Glenn's behavior in this episode reminded me of season 1. There was an episode where Glenn asked Amy to step up and become a floor supervisor, and she refused. It was the same plotline here, but flipped and of course Glenn was tricked because he is stupid.

Jonah is increasingly leveraging his position as the store manager's boyfriend and it is not a good look.  Honestly, this show is going downhill fast but I don't see myself just giving it up. So I just wish it increased in quality somehow.

• Love 8

An OK epsiode.

Carol is creep AF. What kind of Carrie stunt will she pull at the wedding?

Sahid is probably the funniest of the second tier Could 9 employees at the moment.

Jonah really needs a hobby outside of the store. It also gets more and more unrealistic that he seems to have lost all his career ambition.

• Love 11
13 hours ago, jmonique said:

I think I'm just hate watching this show now.

I'm watching.  I'm just not that into anymore.  It's still a  sort of good show but I feel myself looking at my phone or not pausing when I have to do something else. I hope that makes sense. 😏

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 9

I got a few good laughs out of this one. Dina saying she would have made a great doctor because she's good at giving bad news. "It's terminal!" I chuckled at the "Bacon" shirt too. Someone bought it.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Harvey said:

Glenn's behavior in this episode reminded me of season 1. There was an episode where Glenn asked Amy to step up and become a floor supervisor, and she refused. It was the same plotline here, but flipped and of course Glenn was tricked because he is stupid.

I interpreted Glenn’s “negotiation” of the floor supervisor role, as his way of helping to placate everyone to calm things down, and to get Amy out of the mess that has spiraled out of her control.  But now I’m wondering...

This was another in a string of meh episodes for me.   Hoping they can get some momentum for the back half of the season, but I’m not overly optimistic.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, reallyjustjen said:

I interpreted Glenn’s “negotiation” of the floor supervisor role, as his way of helping to placate everyone to calm things down, and to get Amy out of the mess that has spiraled out of her control.  But now I’m wondering...

This was another in a string of meh episodes for me.   Hoping they can get some momentum for the back half of the season, but I’m not overly optimistic.

No, you’re correct. He was hesitant at first but when Amy obviously wasn’t going to convince the men to knock it off, he agreed to it, and in a way that would help her out. There was a lot of wink-wink going on. He wasn’t tricked. 

Amy was right to be ticked off at everyone. She was working her ass off and no one else was doing anything but complaining. And that was not the time for Jonah to play Social Justice Warrior. Usually it’s Amy being the unreasonable one, but this time she was right. He needed to knock it off.  

• Love 11

I was disappointed that Sandra didn't say no to Carol.  It negates the whole jumping out of a moving car bit and running away.  

I couldn't even remember what this episode was about until I read this thread.  I still don't know really.  It had nothing going on. 

I'm not sure why I'm still watching. I almost quit mid last season. It was so bad. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Commando Cody said:

I couldn't even remember what this episode was about until I read this thread.  I still don't know really.  It had nothing going on. 

It should have been called Sayid buys a Hawaiian shirt because that was the most interesting story line.

• Love 1

The only parts that really made me laugh were some of the Dina parts (like her amazing bedside manner and laughing at the one guys impression of his wife) and the bacon shirt. I would totally buy that shirt, any day of the week, no matter if its in the boy or girl section.

The rest was extremely meh. 

• Love 2

That was painful. Amy’s competence as floor manager (and relative normalcy while managing everyone else’s quirks) was one of the best parts of the show. Dina’s truth-to-power relationships with Glenn and Jeff were another. I miss those dynamics and don’t like these people.

The only episode I’ve really liked this year was “Forced Hire” which turned out had Colton Dunn as a writer. It was a good few seasons at least.

• Love 2

I don't know, I think the show is just as good as it ever was. It's never been a ROTFLMAO type of show, the humor has always been more subtle than that. I think part of the problem is that it's such a bottle show - it takes place almost exclusively in one setting. That can make it feel stale after awhile. I also think it was a mistake to make Amy the manager, although not necessarily a fatal one. She's always been the voice of sanity in an insane asylum so having her try to wrangle all these useless employees makes sense from a functional standpoint.

Making Amy and Jonah a couple was a double-edged sword. On the one hand the "will they or won't they" tension that is the hallmark of so many TV shows is now absent, which may be one reason people are starting to feel like the show is missing something. On the other hand it's nice to have a show that has dispensed with that trope without the usual drama that follows.

I also think the show suffers by comparison. It's paired with The Good Place which is a much higher concept show, and Superstore seems very lowbrow by contrast.

• Love 6
On 1/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, Aulty said:

Jonah really needs a hobby outside of the store. It also gets more and more unrealistic that he seems to have lost all his career ambition.

Every episode this season I've asked myself what he's still doing at Cloud9. He's one of the few people there who realistically could find a better job - if he dropped out of B-school he has to have a four-year degree - and with his girlfriend being his boss, and his union efforts failing, he has nothing to gain by staying. I know he's a lead on the show, so he won't go anywhere anytime soon, but it still bugs.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:37 AM, iMonrey said:

I chuckled at the "Bacon" shirt too. Someone bought it.

One of most profound things I have learned from working at the world's largest online retailer is that people go crazy for anything bacon-themed.

12 hours ago, Artsda said:

The whole premise of the guys revolting against working for a woman and then getting their wish by reporting to Glenn is kind of revolting.  HR should have fired them all. 

As a woman in a mid-level corporate leadership position I still struggle with discriminatory treatment by male peers and senior leadership, so that was hard for me to watch as well. At least it made Cheyenne educate herself about feminism and the gender wage gap.

• Love 2
On 1/11/2020 at 8:47 AM, Kiddvideo said:

That was painful. Amy’s competence as floor manager (and relative normalcy while managing everyone else’s quirks) was one of the best parts of the show. Dina’s truth-to-power relationships with Glenn and Jeff were another. I miss those dynamics and don’t like these people.

The only episode I’ve really liked this year was “Forced Hire” which turned out had Colton Dunn as a writer. It was a good few seasons at least.

The show went into syndication on a cable channel and automatically started recording.  I started watching from the beginning.  Amy was much better as a floor manager.  She still had some of her same characteristics that she has today - just not as amplified as she is currently. I now find her annoying with the way she pushes ideas past their expiration when she should really change the plan. 

As a side note, In an early episode, Glenn, when he was manager, said he drove for Uber once in a while.  It now seems strange since he had to be making more than Amy's current 109,000 dollar salary.    

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, Commando Cody said:

As a side note, In an early episode, Glenn, when he was manager, said he drove for Uber once in a while.  It now seems strange since he had to be making more than Amy's current 109,000 dollar salary.    

Don't Glenn and Jerusha have a large number of adopted children, in addition to baby Rose? And it doesn't seem like Jerusha works outside the home. $109k is not that much if it's supporting a very large family, potentially including college for all of the children.

51 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Don't Glenn and Jerusha have a large number of adopted children, in addition to baby Rose? And it doesn't seem like Jerusha works outside the home. $109k is not that much if it's supporting a very large family, potentially including college for all of the children.

This is a good point. Although, they were foster children.  They were probably getting some money from the state.  I would think Glenn as a manager was making much more than 109 K at that point in time.  If Amy's starting salary was 109, Glenn after years of being manager had to be making more.  

• Love 2
On 1/10/2020 at 7:12 PM, tennisgurl said:

The only parts that really made me laugh were some of the Dina parts (like her amazing bedside manner and laughing at the one guys impression of his wife) and the bacon shirt. I would totally buy that shirt, any day of the week, no matter if its in the boy or girl section.

The rest was extremely meh. 

Dina gave such a great look when she told Carol she wasn’t invited to the wedding and Carol just ignored it in her crazy way. Thereby negating Dina’s self professed master communication skills. 

• Love 3

Again, the interstitials are the best part of the show for me, in this case the woman using the sanitizing wipe on the cart handle and then on her armpits.

I feel like Sayid wouldn't be down with the Men Are The Real Victims thing, so I would have liked to see a talking head where he says he's just in it to get the Hawaiian shirts back.

On 1/10/2020 at 12:05 AM, Aulty said:

That seems realistic to me. I worked at a university and when you'd go down to the main business street for lunch, every pizza and gyro place was staffed by either recent graduates who are in their sixth year of "taking a year off" before grad school or by grad school dropouts who are "on sabbatical" and plan to go back but never do. University Book Store employee is usually where they land after fifteen years of sabbatical. Since Jonah was a business student, the Cloud 9 thing makes sense; he's telling himself that he's learning the business from the ground up, but he's already become complacent. He'll hang around there for a few more years and then get his real estate license is my guess.

10 hours ago, chocolatine said:

One of most profound things I have learned from working at the world's largest online retailer is that people go crazy for anything bacon-themed.

Now I'm probably going to order the Ron Swanson shirt, but I do like the hat that simply says, "BACON."

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 3
On 1/11/2020 at 1:08 PM, iMonrey said:

I don't know, I think the show is just as good as it ever was. It's never been a ROTFLMAO type of show, the humor has always been more subtle than that. I think part of the problem is that it's such a bottle show - it takes place almost exclusively in one setting. That can make it feel stale after awhile.

Agreed.

And we're closing in on 100 episodes.  All sitcoms have a shelf life.

If they gets a 6th season (which is very likely), they'll be right up there with "Parks & Recreation", as far as episode count. Which seems hard to believe.

• Love 1
On 1/11/2020 at 1:22 PM, Artsda said:

The whole premise of the guys revolting against working for a woman and then getting their wish by reporting to Glenn is kind of revolting.  HR should have fired them all. 

Yes! Thank you! I was shouting at the screen. That was so bad, I don't know if I will ever watch another episode. 

On 1/11/2020 at 1:22 PM, Artsda said:

I try to suspend my disbelief during my tv time, but working in the field...yeah, that sort of mass mutiny based on purely transparent sexism is a no-brainer for most places to fire before lawsuits. I can explain it away on this show as Amy is trying to fly under corporate radar, whatever, but...it also bothers me that they painted the men as such idiots. Most of them are genial workplace idiots by intent, but this was a nastiness that was not normal for the show. 

Edited by AncientNewbie
  • Love 1