Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

Interview with Kausar Mohammed (Meena Dhawan) at TVLine:

excerpt:

TVLINE | Who had to do more mentoring — Barry with Meena, or Grant Gustin teaching Kausar how to do the “speed-running” arm motions?
Oooh, let me tell you, 100-percent Grant! [Laughs] In a sort of “set emulates life” thing, every two minutes I was like, “Wait, where does my hand go? Where does my foot go?” But he was patient and kind about it, and I was very appreciative.

TVLINE | How would you describe the Meena/Barry dynamic to start? He seems to be a bit of a fanboy of the renowned scientist.
What’s fun about it is you have two incredibly smart characters and they get to geek out a bit together.

TVLINE | What will we learn about Dr. Dhawan this week?
Hmmmm… I think what folks can look forward to is learning more about her backstory. I really was drawn to the character after reading in the comic books how Dr. Meena Dhawan was sort of struck with balancing these new powers that she didn’t know what do do with. That emotional arc was something I was drawn to, and you get to see that backstory as the episodes go on.

(edited)

Interview with Kausar Mohammed at The Flash Podcast:

Kausar Mohammed: Oh, no, he [Gustin] definitely helped me! He helped me a lot! [laughs] I don’t know what I would have done had he not been so patient. It’s the simple thing of landing in a running pose. That was the hardest thing for me, I’d always, instead of putting alternating hand and leg out, it’d be like the same side. You just end up looking like a stick at that point! I’d always be like, ‘Oh, how do I zoom?’ So definitely, he was so supportive and patient. Also, The Flash stunt team, I was continuously practicing and practicing with them in the downtime. I’d be like, ‘Okay, am I zooming right? Am I landing right?’ [laughs] I got to do some sprint training too, which was all new to me and I just wanted to make sure I was doing the the superpower justice. I was also the first time working on green screen for me and it was all just so much fun and I hope I get to do it again.

And a couple of quotes from Kausar Mohammed at Comicbook.com:

"My episode of The Flash premieres on the same days as Ms. Marvel. So, it was like, hey, there's all these South Asian superheroes, and I love it and I love to see it happening," Mohammed said. "But it felt really special, and it was something that I've spoken about with Eric Wallace, sort of right when I got the role, too, and one of the writers, Jonathan Butler, just sort of having this conversation of being there in awe, and being like, if young South Asian me knew that she would see herself like this superhero one day, I just wouldn't have felt that that was possible. Just because now these representations of South Asians are starting to grow, but that certainly wasn't the case when I was a kid."

Edited by Trini

'Post mortem' for episode 8.18/ interview with Kausar Mohammed (Meena Dhawan) at TV Insider: 'Kausar Mohammed on That Speed Twist, Trusting Eobard & More'

Talk about filming the scene when Barry first meets Eobard, because that’s so interesting. All the history there and Meena is just so oblivious and even Eobard is oblivious.

That was a really fun scene, and again, both Grant and Matt were just such amazing scene partners. I remember we were working it through and talking it out, and it definitely was that element of, there is clearly tension here that only Flash knows about, so what does that mean in how we’re interacting with each other? I think we really got to find it in the scene. And again, both of them are such giving and fun actors, so it was certainly a really rewarding scene to do.

Kayla Compton (Allegra) will direct an episode of The Flash next season:

'WBTV Sets 2022 Television Directors Workshop Participants'

... Warner Bros. Television Group has announced the seven directors selected for the 2022 WBTV Directors’ Workshop.

The WBTV Directors’ Workshop launched in 2013 with the aim to discover new and innovative talent, to prepare directors from other creative fields (motion pictures, commercials, music videos, shortform content, etc.) for the transition to television, and to provide increased opportunities for women helmers and those from underrepresented groups.

Kayla Compton is set to direct an episode of Warner Bros. Television/The CW’s DC drama The Flash. Originally from Jacksonville, Florida, she has been writing and directing since the age of 8 and acting professionally in Los Angeles for 12 years. Kayla recently wrote and directed the short film In Training, which is currently on the festival circuit. She also currently plays the role of DC Super Hero Allegra Garcia on The Flash.

(edited)

A few reaction/reviews of 8.19 from different perspectives; I think all do a good job of breaking down the problems with the episode (and season):

Ladies with Gumption (audio): https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/ladieswgumption/episodes/2022-06-25T06_00_00-07_00

The Flash Podcast (audio): https://theflashpodcast.com/episodes/the-flash-podcast-season-8-episode-19-negative-part-one/

Blind Wave (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RzqiOkctww

Edited by Trini
(edited)

'Latest Season of ‘The Flash’ Seems to Have Forgotten Leading Lady Iris'

Iris’ time sickness has been a long-drawn-out B-plot throughout Season 8 and the character herself has been absent for a large chunk of the episodes. The time sickness storyline came out of nowhere at the end of the previous season, and it eclipsed Iris’ entire development in Season 8. Instead of driving change through her work at The Central City Citizen, Iris has spent the majority of her curtailed screen time grimacing from invisible pain and looking terrified. The only bright spark was her brief investigation in Coast City with fan-favorite character Sue Dearbon (Natalie Dreyfuss). That tangent highlighted how poorly Iris’ character was handled in the season. We needed more editor-in-chief of The Central City Citizen-Iris, rather than science-fiction plotline-Iris.

ETA:

Edited by Trini

... However, Gustin Flash is featured in the artwork for this year's Comic-Con bags:

... Jim Lee, Publisher and Chief Creative Officer of DC, has created two designs for this year’s must-have collectible swag holder, featuring more than 50 characters from across the DC Multiverse. ...

SDCC-2022-Bags-Jim-Lee_62b9e0bfa56b52.83018534.jpg

15 minutes ago, Trini said:

Candice Patton will be back for Season 9; I really hope she got a pay raise!

But what I really want is for the writing to improve for both Iris and Barry; don't waste the two best characters and actors on the show.

The only original cast member we haven't heard about is Danielle Panabaker - but I assume she's coming back unless someone says otherwise.

If Candice is happy with her contract, I'm happy for her. 

Also, they are looking to sale CW, triming down the fat ($$) is why I heard they canceled so many shows. I'm wondering if that doesn't mean them forcing EW to let go of some of the cast to save money. I'm sure Grant wasn't cheap (he shouldn't be ) and Candice looked like she was ready to go, she most have gotten something extra (as she should) to make her stay, so they have to save money somewhere.

Will there even be a S9 if CW is sold before it comes out or start filming ?

18 minutes ago, SevenStars said:

If the sale goes through, any changes to the network's programming wouldn't happen right away; the still need programming for the interim. Worst case scenario, WB still produces the episodes but they air somewhere else - but that's highly doubtful.

7 hours ago, SevenStars said:

The show had already been renewed for Season 9 before the CW massacre that took Legends and Batwoman from us took place. The question, therefore, is whether there will be a Season 10 for The Flash.

On 7/1/2022 at 4:45 PM, cambridgeguy said:

I'm glad she explained, because it was always fishy that she was just dropped for 4 straight episodes, and everyone(showrunner, fans, etc.) was giving different reasons. Interesting that TVLine made an article about it though; I think she made that statement mainly for her fan club.

--

More statements from Candice Patton on The Open Up Podcast, where she'll be the guest for episode 1 which is released tomorrow.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CfTE3Myrfqc/

https://www.theopenuppodcast.com/home

A short preview:

• Love 1
(edited)

TV Line's Performer of the Week:

HONORABLE MENTION | Never before in The Flash‘s eight-season run did Barry Allen have cause to be more distraught, than when he was led to accidentally kill his own wife with a lightning throw. So it was important that Grant Gustin made us feel every bit of that torment — and boy, did he. Yes, he started off by displaying tempered anger, accompanied by mournful tears. But when Reverse-Flash — newly reborn by Iris’ tragic death — taunted Bar about his wife’s life finally meaning “something,” Gustin exploded with the vengeful, fiery fury we needed to see, nearly frying his foe to a crisp. As the rest of the finale unspooled, Gustin communicated Barry’s determination to defeat the Negative Forces’ singular new avatar, but also his openness to sage guidance from Iris upon her return, ultimately demonstrating the unbeatable power of quiet resolve.

Edited by Trini

A slew of post-finale interviews with Eric Wallace (I'm not really going to comment on what he says about characters or plot, because he's full of hot air; but there are some other notable bits):

Deadline:

... Yes, I do know what the end of Season 9 is already. We have multiple big bads next year. We’re going to continue our graphic novel format. I don’t know how many episodes I’ve got, quite frankly, so if I get enough episodes, we’ll have three graphic novels just like this past year. If I get less, then I’ll act accordingly. But there’ll be at least two graphic novels with at least two separate big bads, one of whom is a blast from the past.

[About Season 9:] ... We’ll be at one-hundred eighty four, [one-hundred] eight five episodes, something like that. ...

I still don't understand how the number of episodes could be so uncertain. If it was a new, or bubble show I'd get it; but this is a 'veteran' show. It's just concerning because then it affects how Wallace writes the season.

Are any potential Flash spinoffs being looked at, at this point?

WALLACE: No, because you really don’t start looking at spinoffs until you think you’re not coming back, and I’m not thinking that way. ...

That's not how spinoffs work?

---

TV Guide:

Do you have a bucket list of things you want to do if Season 9 ends up being the final season? 
Wallace: Well, first of all, I hope it's not the final season because there are so many more Flash stories to tell. I want to just lead with that. Secondly, as far as a bucket list, I told the writing staff the same thing, "If you have a bucket list, don't wait. We need to be telling those stories every week. Don't wait until the final season or when you think it might [end]. We need to do it now." ...

Yeah, he contradicts himself with other statements where he said he put off certain scenes once he knew he had more episodes.

TV Line:

... I’m now formulating a new, shorter, two-season plan, for Seasons 9 and 10, so I sure hope I get to tell that story, because I know where I’m driving to.

---

TV Insider: In which we get more of an idea of what a series finale would look like (to Wallace):

... Because the nature of this season, when we were writing this finale, it was like, “Okay, this could be the final episode of The Flash.” That was our other reason to wrap everything up: It really wasn’t until the 11th hour, until we were well into the writing of the script, that the news came down that we got a ninth season. So we had to change the ending. It used to be that the Negative Reverse Flash dies, everybody kumbayas and you actually have a longer sequence with Team Flash talking about where they might go next. And you would also have had a much longer sequence with Barry and Iris. They weren’t just sitting on the couch. There was talk of kids…let’s say it was a little bit more romantic and perhaps sexier, right? Because they gotta have kids, we know that! And there would have been a final scene, obviously with all of Team Flash, you know, hugging and all that to give us the goodbye.

... When it was going to be a series finale, the end of this episode originally had STAR Labs being destroyed and it was going to be rebuilt into The Flash Museum. That got dropped, but I could see that happening towards the end of next year. ...

... Right, right, I’m just trying to get to 9, but as far as my thinking goes, I’m thinking now of a new two-year plan to get us to 200 episodes, which would be in Season 10. I don’t know if we’ll get to do that, but I gotta have a plan. ...

Nerds of Color (some transcription errors, though):

... The new Team Flash is all of my series regulars returning. Obviously we all know that Jesse won’t be there regularly, for we’re not sure exactly how he’s going to fit in, but obviously he has some other things going on, but he’s always welcome. ...

[re: Iris and CCC Media stories] ...But remember, it’s hard to show a character having agency when they’re not on the show. We didn’t have Candice you know, for four episodes or so. So it’s hard to to address that, but when she was there, that’s specifically why we had her on the Coast City journey. I wanted to see her as a journalist going on a journalist adventure before it obviously dovetail with the time sickness and Negative Deon and all those crazy things.

I think it was statements like this that prompted Candice to clarify about her contract.

---

Den of Geek:

“As storytellers, we’ve known where we were driving the whole time. We knew Candace [Patton, who plays Iris], would not be in four episodes. We have nothing to do with that. So when people are like, ‘Why isn’t Iris on the show?’ That’s just the way things happen in life sometimes,” Wallace explains. “It’s not an evil plan. But we know it’s coming—and I know how hard it is as an audience member to ask ‘Wait, where’s my favorite character? Why isn’t she on the show this week? Grrrr.’ I get it because they’re not in the writer’s room, and [they don’t know] that when she comes back, we pick right up at that story, and we’re going to pay off her season-long journey, which is she has to level up too, just like anybody else.”

😒

... [Iris has] been under siege since day one on this show when her dissertation got stolen by a criminal and then getting stabbed over and over by Savitar. What this woman has been going through for eight years—how is she able to survive?”

LOL - I like how he says this as if DC literally won't allow the show kill her off, and as if showrunners don't always put characters through torture for drama.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

which is she has to level up too, just like anybody else.”

Iris the professional leveled up (drink!) off screen between seasons 7 and 8 when the Citizen transformed from a two person operation into a large media corporation that can pretty much run itself, which is a good thing when your editor in chief and supervising editor spend vast amounts of time away from the office.

2 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Iris the professional leveled up (drink!) off screen between seasons 7 and 8 when the Citizen transformed from a two person operation into a large media corporation that can pretty much run itself, which is a good thing when your editor in chief and supervising editor spend vast amounts of time away from the office.

They could have done so much better with that; but they made it an email instead of a storyline. Sigh.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Trini said:

It's just concerning because then it affects how Wallace writes the season.

Does it though?  Everything he says in interviews contradicts itself and I don't see a clear plan coming through on screen either. I don't think he actually plans out any further in advance than filming requires, but he thinks certain things make for a good sounding interview so he just says them. 

For example: On one hand he says "there are so many more Flash stories to tell" and then in a different interview he's hinting at the return of Thawne again next season.

My love for the show has drastically fallen over the last couple seasons and I honestly hope it's announced early on that next season is the last and there's a proper ending put on it.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 7/3/2022 at 8:42 AM, Trini said:

The whole podcast was worth listening from start to finish, but here are the highlights:

• She received hate and backlash from the moment she was cast and TheCW brushed her concerns aside. It's not enough to hire a Black actor to check a diversity box. You have to put support systems in place to protect them from the hate you know they'll receive.
  • She was most affected by the behind-the-scenes stuff. Her white counterpart (no names named, but she's clearly speaking about Danielle Panabacker) was promoted more than her even though Candice played the lead female. She had to ask her publicist to tell The Flash account to follow her, after it followed everybody but her.
  • She hasn't been able to watch the show since season 1. Every moment "Iris" is on screen triggers a bad moment that happened in real-life to Candice on the set that day. Every moment.
  • She was ready to quit playing Iris halfway through Season 2. She stayed because she was under contract, and she felt responsible to the Black girls who were watching her and looking up to her. She wanted to make things easier for the next Black woman who found herself in this place.
  • At some point, she had to make a decision between being nice, being liked or being able to do her job and get the respect she deserved. She went from saying "please, is it possible for you to do..." to saying, "OK, I will need you to do your job or speak to my manager."
  • During Black Lives Matter, some white guest stars called her to tell her that they were sorry. That they saw the bad things happening to her on set, but they didn't speak for her.
  • Hair and makeup for Black actors are a joke. Elliot Page (the interviewer) and Candice both talked about disrespectful stylists who won't admit that they don't know how to do Black hair, are sassy and rude, and still mess up their hair. Elliot talked about how a hair stylist shaved off his entire hair. They both talked about going to their trailers from a stylist's session feeling like a walking caricature. Meanwhile, their white co-stars show up "20 minutes later with wet hair" and are treated professionally. 
  • She's learnt coping skills to protect her mental health, but it hasn't been easy. She suffered - and still suffers - from bout of depression and PTSD from her experience on The Flash.
Edited by ursula
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
On 7/4/2022 at 10:53 AM, ursula said:
On 7/3/2022 at 10:42 AM, Trini said:

The whole podcast was worth listening from start to finish, but here are the highlights:

I finally got to listen to the whole podcast; Yes, definitely worth listening to. I didn't realize this was recorded last year. The hair and makeup dept. sounds horrible, and I really hope that part of the industry can diversify and change for the better, and soon. I'm glad Candice discussed her experiences.

Too bad it looks like the media in general are ignoring them, though.

• Love 1

TV Line's Inside Line:

Is there any chance for The Flash‘s Natalie Dreyfuss to become a series regular in Season 9? She’s always so great as Sue. –Joseph

Showrunner Eric Wallace told me to expect “no cast promotions” heading into Season 9, “but as we start to formulate stories, I’m open to seeing as many of the characters from Season 8 as we can fit in.”

Dumped on the weekend, but news outlets reported on Candice comments on The Open Up Podcast (some of them didn't really listen to the podcast, though):

TPTB made statements with the H. Sawyer situation, I wonder if anyone will say anything now?

Most quote the same statements about racist fans, but not her comments about the hairstyling issues, or the Wests not being written as authentically Black.

• Love 1
On 7/10/2022 at 9:00 PM, Trini said:

Most quote the same statements about racist fans, but not her comments about the hairstyling issues, or the Wests not being written as authentically Black.

And she specifically says that the racist fandom wasn't a big deal to her, it was the racist treatment she got on set. It's the fact that, amongst many other things, the Flash PR accounts needed to be told to follow her. That she can't watch the show now because every scene is a reminder of something toxic that happened to her at work. 🙄 I don't think it's a mistake or they didn't listen to the podcast. They're just spinning it to shift the blame on the audience, and not on professionals. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 7/12/2022 at 1:57 AM, ursula said:

They're just spinning it to shift the blame on the audience, and not on professionals. 

It reeks of them trying to not piss off the producers/TPTB so that they still get media access.

• Love 1

It's time: '‘The Flash’ To End With Season 9'

“Nine seasons! Nine years of saving Central City while taking audiences on an emotional journey full of heart, humor, and spectacle. And now Barry Allen has reached the starting gate for his last race,” The Flash executive producer/showrunner Eric Wallace said. “So many amazing people have given their talents, time, and love to bring this wonderful show to life each week. So, as we get ready to honor the show’s incredible legacy with our exciting final chapter, I want to say thank you to our phenomenal cast, writers, producers, and crew over the years who helped make The Flash such an unforgettable experience for audiences around the world.“

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

Thanks goodness!  After this last season, it's about time to put this show out of its misery.  I hope that maybe this will give him a chance to finish strong, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Hopefully this gives the cast time to lock in some new gigs.  Of course, I'm already hearing the jokes about how this could free Grant Gustin up to be in the films since Ezra Miller has been very problematic lately (to put it mildly.)  But I suspect that won't actually happen.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Thanks goodness!  After this last season, it's about time to put this show out of its misery.  I hope that maybe this will give him a chance to finish strong, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

I'd love to be more excited about a short final season, but we've got the same writing team, so....

Anyway, I hope we get to see Grant and Candice in more projects afterward.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 3

Makes me wonder if they'll try to get some guest stars for a last hurrah of sorts.  Among the Flash cast, Cisco is the only one who would be really nice to see again (TC never truly left) so hopefully Carlos Valdes has the time to stop by. 

Plus since this is effectively the end of the Arrowverse I wonder if they'll try to bring in other characters for a farewell.  The Legends never got a wrap, Diggle is a popular guy to bring in, and maybe Stephen Amell would be willing to cameo for one last Barry and Oliver scene.  Barry could tell him how his son has been kidnapped for an extended period in the future - good times!

• Like 1
  • Love 3