Type keyword(s) to search

Central City Citizen: The New Media Thread

Trisha
  • Start Topic

Yay!

This is about the time that the writers and production need to start prep for the fall seasons, so while the official announcement is later than usual, the timing makes sense.

Edited by Trini
Crap, next page?!!

Interviews with Kayla Compton: 'Kayla Compton Previews Allegra’s Evolving Role'

It's very important! I'm a huge believer in lifting up those who aren't seen. It's an honor playing somebody with such a good heart, whose intentions are really to do right by people and, even more than that, shine a light on things that are maybe overlooked.

'Kayla Compton Talks Allegra's Journey, Previews "The Fire Next Time"'

"It's her first real job and she's been given responsibility over an employee and so I think like any of us maybe would have struggled in our first supervising position," Compton said. "She's really having to navigate another person and you know, boundaries and I think she's just put in kind of a sticky situation, and she also wants to do right by Iris and what she thinks is right."

I only recently noticed that Kelly Wheeler is no longer with the show since season 8 started; so that's one less woman in the writers room. As far as I can tell, everyone else from season 7 is still there, and no other new writers. Don't know how much of a difference it makes.

Edited by Trini

Interview: 'Brandon McKnight Breaks Down Chester’s Past, Present – And Future?'

We got to open up a new bag of things for Chester to deal with. Kinda like the second part to the original… where he was dealing with his dad. It kept me up for a little bit, trying to think of how to dive deeper into this aspect of Chester’s life and Chester’s past. And he’s dealing with it in a way that nobody else would deal with their problems. It’s very foreign to the human condition to have to deal with grief and your despair in a way that you never knew you had it.

2 hours ago, Trini said:

Aww! This is cute; Jordan Fisher got a gift from The Flash costume department:

(He's expecting a baby with his wife, for those who don't know.)

Oh, that's adorable. And it explains his Twitter handle. Hopefully Baby Fisher won't grow up to mess up the timeline on a regular basis! ;-)

Interview with Natalie Dreyfuss (Sue Dearbon):

excerpt:

NATALIE DREYFUSS: It’s been super exciting for me to get to build out this relationship with [Iris]. We assume that they know each other, through me being her landlord and giving her some of my billionaire buildings to work with, but we haven’t really gotten to see that play out on camera, so we got to play with it as the story was unfolding, what our dynamic was going to be. And that was super fun and creative.

Another Dreyfuss interview at Nerds of Color:

How has it been shooting on The Flash and especially during the pandemic?

Yeah, it’s been the best possible thing that could have happened to me to be honest. Everyone that works with me knows I just come in with bells and whistles because work is always a miracle when it happens, but when it happens in such a difficult moment, and you get to make something together, it’s really really important and gave me a sense of purpose and kept me kept me going so I really really loved working on that season.

Quotes from Robbie Amell previewing this week's episode at TV Line:

“It was really fun doing those,” Amell avowed. “I hadn’t seen Danielle in ages, because when I was in Vancouver shooting [Prime Video’s] Upload and she was shooting The Flash last year, it was prime COVID time and we never had the opportunity to get together. So it was really nice to see her and see Grant [Gustin] and talk abut having families, because it’s been that long.”

“Danielle and joked around about how we definitely didn’t look the same age we did when the flashbacks are supposed to take place,” Amell noted with a laugh. In fact, the flashback that opens this week’s episode is set a decade ago, in 2012, as it captures the future marrieds’ very first meeting at S.T.A.R. Labs.

Ha - it's true; they all do have kids now, versus when the show started.

4 hours ago, Proteus said:

Danielle Panabaker said in an instagram live today that season 8 will have 20 episodes.

Interesting. I wonder how long ago they decided to extend it, and how much that affects the end-of-season "graphic novel". And of course, why? I thought less episodes was a cost-cutting move.

This means that The Flash will be the DC show with the most episodes this season.

I've always been surprised JLM has stayed this long; especially since they've been giving him less to do in the latest seasons (not even counting the time he was out because of his injury). Anyway, good for him for getting a leading role.

Several articles say that he'll still be appearing in several Season 9 episodes, so that gives me a little hope that they write a decent exit for him, and that he's not completely gone. Unless Cecile leaves with Joe, (I doubt it) I wonder how they'll explain her being around without Joe.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Trini said:

I've always been surprised JLM has stayed this long; especially since they've been giving him less to do in the latest seasons (not even counting the time he was out because of his injury). Anyway, good for him for getting a leading role.

Several articles say that he'll still be appearing in several Season 9 episodes, so that gives me a little hope that they write a decent exit for him, and that he's not completely gone. Unless Cecile leaves with Joe, (I doubt it) I wonder how they'll explain her being around without Joe.

Probably the same way they address the whereabouts of Joe and Cecile's daughter, who is an active toddler now. They simply ignore her existence.

Some quotes from Robbie Amell about his return to The Flash at TVLine: 'The Flash's Wrinkle on Caitlin's Reunion With Husband Ronnie Is 'Pretty Messed-Up!''

“Would I have come back [as nice Ronnie]? Yes, of course,” he says. “Essentially how it was pitched to me was, ‘This is the final season and we’d love to have you back.’ But whether it was the final season or not, it’s always been based on availability and we’ve been unlucky in the past.” (Amell has been busy with a lead role on Prime Video’s Upload, among other things.)  “But this worked out timing-wise, and I was like, ‘Yeah, 100 percent. I’m in.’

“Granted, they’re now doing another season, which I think is great,” Amell added, “but it was really cool to come back and have a bit of gravity to my character. But I would have popped in if it was the lighthearted version as well, with just the flashbacks.”

And a longer interview with Robbie Amell at EW:

When you found out that you were going to come back to The Flash this season, did you know immediately that it was going to be as Deathstorm?

No, I didn't know much at all. I was essentially just told, "We've got an arc for you." It sounded like it was going to be the final season because they were unsure about doing another one. I've always wanted to go back but the dates never really worked out, and this just lined up perfectly with some other jobs I was doing. Danielle messaged me, "I don't know much, but I know this, this, and this." Then I had a great talk with our showrunner [Eric Wallace] and he described it like, "It's from one of my favorite graphic novels. It's going to be a four-episode graphic novel with kind of a horror-movie vibe to it. You're going to come in, and you think that Ronnie's back at this point where Caitlin really needs somebody. But you're going to be Deathstorm, and it's just going to be wreaking havoc on everyone." I was like, "That sounds great."

Another Amell interview at TV Insider:

Now…how many times have you died on this show?

Oh, God…first time I came back [after the particle accelerator explosion], then the second time in the finale…third time was Earth-2’s Deathstorm. This is four. This is No. 4. Geez. I might have the most deaths on the show. [Laughs]

New poster for Season 8:

image002.jpg

It's weird that Cecile is so prominent especially in relation to her baby daddy Joe, who's an original cast member. And they should have had Joe a little higher instead of Chester. Allegra and Frost are also kinda blocking too much of the Flash. Iris in the center would be fine except that the Flash symbol is blocked.

Interview with Eric Wallace at TV Insider, previewing the rest of Season 8.

Besides his usual "can't tell you anything, but it's going to be awesome, trust me!", he reveals that the rest of this Deathstorm arc is a "horror film" (sigh); more "leveling up" (drink!) with Cecile and Allegra, with Allegra getting a 'showcase' episode; and [vague-ish spoiler]

Spoiler

a "devastating" victory for Deathstorm.

I'm concerned/disappointed (but not surprised) that he didn't mention anything about Barry/Flash or Iris and her 'time sickness'. And you didn't have to read it because it's evident in this season's writing, but his statements about Team Flash being as important as the Flash is just wrong, seeing as how both Barry and the show have (or should have) outgrown the team format.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, milkyaqua said:

I thought this quote was interesting:

“I hope to be back…,” Panabaker, who directed this season’s 17th episode (of 20), shared with TVLine. “I will say that I was very surprised to see that there was another season [ordered]. I think that emotionally, I, at least, was planning for Season 8 to be our last. ... "

If the producers really thought this could be the last season, I really question some of the writing decisions here.

Also this kind answers my question of why Panabaker was still filming so late into her pregnancy; she wanted to be in it 'til the end.

Two more Danielle Panabaker interviews / episode recaps:

EW:

Are you relieved you only have to play one character now after pulling double duty for so many years?

I will say, practically and logistically, playing two characters is challenging for not only for me, but also for the entire crew. They've done an incredible job really getting it down to a science over the last couple of years, but I was grateful for the opportunity to only play one character who did not wear a wig.

TV Insider:

I will miss Frost. As a person and as an actor, it was a lot of fun to get to play her. She had an attitude about her that is wildly different from Caitlin, but was also a different flavor on the show and she got to say things and get away with things that most of the other characters don’t. And I think she will be missed on the show as well. Then, on the other side is Caitlin who is grieving. She runs through all the different stages we go through when we grieve: denial, anger, bargaining, all of it.

Another Panabaker interview at Den of Geek:

“You know, Caitlin has a lot of experience with grief,” Panabaker says. “But as we’ve seen with her—and with various other characters on the show, grief doesn’t always follow a straight line. So I don’t know that it’s possible to predict exactly how she’s going to respond to this. I think there’s going to be denial, there’s going to be anger, there’s going to be resentment, maybe even some bargaining.”

Rather lengthy interview (this person does not know editing) with Panabaker at The Flash Podcast:

... Season 4 is when [Frost] started to come into her own a little bit, and more in Season 5. There were sort of flipping back and forth. It was prior to Season 6 that Eric pitched this idea to me that they would each have their own separate body, which was a cool idea. But when he pitched it to me, it was only meant to be for a few episodes. It was not meant to be [permanent] I think it was meant to be for 5 or 6 episodes. Yet here we are almost two full seasons of playing two full characters. What I think became the bigger challenge was pulling off logistically and practically playing two characters in scenes with themselves. That was challenging to say the least. That was something I never saw coming and I think I always anticipated that at some point, they’d merge back into one body and I wouldn’t be playing both. But never did I think that they would kill off either of them.

Lots of talk about Caitlin and Frost, and directing.

Stargirl & S.T.R.I.P.E. Confront Pat's Past in Arrowverse Crossover

DC Comics is offering The Earth-Prime 6 issue Comic Book series, an Arrowverse Crossover Event featuring "canon" TV versions of your favorite CW Superheroes "Batwoman, Superman & Lois, Legends of Tomorrow, Stargirl, and The Flash. Each superhero is highlighted in their own issue before coming together in an epic conclusion in Issue 6.

0222DC038.jpg
Earth-Prime #1 is "Batwoman" on April 5th.
Ever since the tech that created many of Batman's rogues hit the streets, Ryan Wilder has been running herself ragged trying to contain the new villains popping up around Gotham City. But when Clayface's mud binds itself to a local high schooler, Batwoman will need help from an unexpected source to contain this muddy foe! Also, follow how Luke Fox balances his life as a superhero and a boyfriend!
Earth-Prime-1-Batwoman-Main_61eb7ed0e9e6

0222DC040.jpg
Earth-Prime #2 is "Superman & Lois" on April 19th. 
A story spotlighting Clark Kent and Lois Lane's first anniversary. Plus, the true origins of the evil Superman from John Henry Irons' world are finally revealed!
0222DC039_2.jpeg

FQ-Q2ZIVcAACKur-1.jpg
Earth-Prime #3 is "DC's Legends of Tomorrow" on May 3rd. 
Ray Palmer assembling the retired Legends for one last go-round after he learns Mick Rory's Necrian children have been kidnapped by a group of mysterious Necrian assassins. Some "former teammates" might also be making an appearance.
0322DC047.jpg
Earth-Prime #4 is "Stargirl" on May 17th.
the Dugan-Whitmore family vacation in full swing, but something sinister lurks in the woods, stalking Pat Dugan. Can Stargirl and S.T.R.I.P.E. face down the threat from Pat's past and preserve their summer trip, or will it come to a tragic end?
Earth-Prime-Stargirl-4-3.jpg

Earth-Prime #5 is "The Flash" on June 7th.
When Barry Allen and Iris West go out of town for a much-needed vacation in 2049, Bart and Nora are left to stay out of trouble in Central City. With their parents gone, Bart begs Nora to let him go on patrol and really be a hero, but Nora refuses, saying it's too dangerous without Barry there. But when one of Bart's classmates at Central City University starts causing trouble, how can Impulse not leap into action?
2100574_xl.jpg

Earth-Prime #6 "Hero's Twilight" on June 21st. 
Arrowverse CW Superhero Crossover. A force arises that wants to free humanity from their dependency on "Superheroes".

Eric Wallace talks about directing tonight's episode in this interview at The Flash Podcast:

... Or were there times where you had to have both hats on while directing the episode, to make sure it works from both angles?

Eric Wallace: It’s a great question, and it’s a central question that I think someone in my position directing would deal with. But to be honest with you, I tried to just be a director. In prep, I had to wear both hats quite a lot. Because the director in me would want a fancier shot here, or I’d like a bigger camera package. Then I would put on my showrunner hat and go ‘No, no, you can’t have that.’ [laughs] Sometimes you have to be your own best critic, which was very, very funny at times. The crew thought it was very amusing.

Sounds like they're still negotiating - whether that's with the cast or the studio or whoever:

https://deadline.com/2022/05/the-cw-dc-universe-future-superhero-business-the-flash-final-season-1235028121/

The CW DC Universe’s flagship series, The Flash, is heading into its ninth season, surpassing Arrow as the longest-running DC drama on the network.

“We have not any determination whether this may be the final season,” Pedowitz said.

He plans to have a sit-down with series EPs Eric Wallace and  Berlanti soon to discuss the show’s future.

It's weird to me that they haven't figured out if Season 9 will be the last by now. I don't know the behind-the-scenes, of course, but I have a feeling that's not the only Season 9 decision that's holding up things.

Another interview with Eric Wallace: https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-flash-inside-the-still-force-and-the-search-for-iris/

excerpt:

“As far as Iris’ journey, there are [several] things happening,” Wallace explains. “This time sickness has been going on for a while, but we haven’t answered one salient question: Where did it come from? Why did it happen? And who did it? And the answer to all three of those questions provides you with the answer of who’s the Big Bad in graphic novel seven at the end of season 8.” 

I "love" how we've gone from toying with one villain for a whole season to the opposite extreme of only dealing with them in the last few episodes. Wallace's "graphic novel" format started out a good idea, but now there's just no balance. (And no incentive to change since WB/DC still want as much of this show as possible.)

The Flash producer Greg Berlanti got a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame today, and Grant Gustin attended his ceremony. Some photos here:

grant-gustin-helps-on-honor-the-flash-creator-producer-greg-berlanti-with-star-11.jpg

A Variety profile about Berlanti also mentions the show:

[CW CEO, Mark] Pedowitz also summed up their relationship in anecdote, telling a story of the first year of “Arrow,” during which he asked Berlanti if he’d like to do a spinoff around the Flash.

“He just laughed and said, ‘I was just about to come pitch that to you.’ He tells me that the Flash was a character he always embraced as a kid, and I told him that I felt the same way,” recalls Pedowitz. “We set out to bring this mutual childhood hero to life, and now, here we are, heading into Season 9 of ‘The Flash.’”

Slow news day for TVLine, so they asked Eric Wallace about possibly giving closure to Legends, but I'm more interested in what he said about Season 9 of The Flash:

Wallace got a kick out of the idea. The thing is, The Flash itself (based on quotes from multiple actors) had been on track for its current season to be a farewell run, until the stars aligned in January for a renewal. Meaning, Season 9 could instead mark The Flash‘s own swan song, and as such every minute will be precious.

“I don’t even know what my order is” as far as the number of Season 9 episodes, Wallace told TVLine earlier this month. “Going to save the Legends…. As much as I’d love to do that, that’s not something that is very easy to do in a season when I may have to wrap up my own story. I want to be honest, and not get anybody’s hopes up!”

"...the stars aligned in January" -- AKA Grant signed on for one more season.

I find it really odd that he doesn't know how many episodes there are for next season. I assume Grant already has his number of episodes locked; who else is negotiating?

Also interesting that whether Season 9 is the final season or not is still seemingly not decided yet. There's no way this long-running show gets cancelled suddenly without getting time to do a proper wrap up. Are they literally leaving the decision up to Grant?

6 minutes ago, Trini said:

Slow news day for TVLine, so they asked Eric Wallace about possibly giving closure to Legends, but I'm more interested in what he said about Season 9 of The Flash:

"...the stars aligned in January" -- AKA Grant signed on for one more season.

I find it really odd that he doesn't know how many episodes there are for next season. I assume Grant already has his number of episodes locked; who else is negotiating?

Also interesting that whether Season 9 is the final season or not is still seemingly not decided yet. There's no way this long-running show gets cancelled suddenly without getting time to do a proper wrap up. Are they literally leaving the decision up to Grant?

Grant probably gave his number but that doesnt mean CW will give them that amount. 

31 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Grant probably gave his number but that doesnt mean CW will give them that amount. 

I feel like it's more a WB decision, rather than CW; whoever buys the network, I can see them being a factor for a possible Season 10 (2023/24). Maybe it's just about how many more episodes and/or pay raises WB is willing to pay for.

Deadline has the character description for the just-introduced Meena Dhawan:

The CW describes Dr. Meena Dhawan as a titan in the scientific community who deftly balances her hunger for envelope-pushing scientific experimentation with a strong moral compass. These qualities lead Dhawan to discover a new way to democratize the gift of super-speed, finally allowing all humankind to reap the benefits traditionally relegated to meta-human speedsters.

But her discovery also sends Dhawan down a path to become something much greater than she ever expected – a heroic allyship between The Flash (Grant Gustin) and Central City’s newest exciting speedster, Fast Track.

And comments about introducing her from Eric Wallace at The Flash Podcast:

https://theflashpodcast.com/interviews/exclusive-the-flash-eric-wallace-meena-dhawan-arrowverse-introduction/

Not new behavior, but some of his comments seem to come across like he only selectively pays attention to what is actually happening on the show, and he doesn't care about (or pay attention to) how the audience views the show.